Memories Of Astroworld

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And I especially like the phrase:

"...and other occasionally competent companies..."

:huh:

I guess up to this point, we lacked being "thrilling", and one could not find at least 2 enthusiasts who were "eager to say the same." Are these people for real? Or have I simply started using drugs again.:blink:

It looks bad from the freeway. the rides look rusty, and it look likes junk.

Exactly! I have seen it from freeway once and it looked like a junkyard! This is what pisses me off about these nationally renowned corporations. They are willing to pay attention to quality and elegance for their properties elsewhere but when it comes to Houston they think they can get away with a trashy look. I hear that Six Flags parks in San Antonio and Dallas (and, perhaps, anywhere) are nicer than what we have here. So much for their "love and respect" for the people of Houston!

Exactly! I have seen it from freeway once and it looked like a junkyard! This is what pisses me off about these nationally renowned corporations. They are willing to pay attention to quality and elegance for their properties elsewhere but when it comes to Houston they think they can get away with a trashy look. I hear that Six Flags parks in San Antonio and Dallas (and, perhaps, anywhere) are nicer than what we have here. So much for their "love and respect" for the people of Houston!

San Antonio's Six Flags is very nice! Part of it is like in a natural canyon.

The Batman Excape ride junky. They made it look like a junk yard so that, that could be there excuse for not fixinf it up. there are old washer and dryers and trash and they call that themeing to look like a junk yard, so they put an actual junk yard there. Its nasty and embarsing.

I love Fiesta Texas, especially the canyon effect.

And, I think Houston deserves more than some gold digging company that refuses to pay attention to an asset in a city until the city gets something that they see as a profit.

Astroworld has always been treated as the redheaded stepchild of the Six Flags corporation. They have always dumped ther cast off ride and attractions on that place. It will be interesting to see what it will take to make it more attractive to people besides bad food and half rate rides.

They once had a chance to purchace mor eland around it and they passed up on it saying that they had no intention to expand. That letter just bothered me.

Copyright notice and "disclaimer" copied from the bottom of the website:

Copyright 2002-2004 Absolutely Reliable News & Rumors. Pieces written by the Supreme Commander and Eternal Fuzzy Friend (read: the editor in chief) except where indicated by inscrutable initials.

By the way, in case you're really not too sharp, this is satire.

• 3 months later...

May 7, 2005, 12:04AM

AstroWorld files lawsuit over parking spaces

Here is the link... http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3171512

My comments on this is for one, it's to damn custered in that area. You have Reliant Stadium, Arena, Astrodome, and on top of it Astroworld. Somebody going to lost money, and that's Astroworld. They complaining about the parking spaces has been taken by Houston Texans, Livestock and Rodeo, and they lost $10 million of renvue over this.

My advice to the people at Astroworld. Go and purchase some land, more then 85 acres (casue that's what they sit on today), and built a new theme park, with lots and lots of parking spaces. They could still continue running the business in their old location until they finish with the new one. When they leave from the old location, maybe the Texans owner could by the land and do something with it, or have a Entertainment complex there (same ideal they was going to do with astrodome). Then maybe they could tare down the dome, or make it a soccer facility.

Astroworld losing money - maybe its because that theme park sucks!

In fact in my opinion almost all theme parks suck - they are hideous designs of things here and there and everywhere. Coney Island works because its original and Disney works because they plan faux "towns" around it. I drove by today on my way home (not my usual way - since 45 was closed) and it looked bad!

Sorry to offend anyone who loves this park - but glad its on 610 south and not 610 west.

Perhaps theme park design will evolve with other forms of the built environment? hopefully.... the rides get better (faster more tech. advanced), but the park design stays the same.

New here....

Didnt see this posted, didnt know where to post it. Its on MSN's home page right now.

Check it out HERE.

My question is....what theme park did these people go to. I dont remember Astroworld ever being this good to be ranked this high.

I would never go back to Astroworld. It's the worst theme park to go to in the U.S. They need to shut it down, or relocate it somewhere else in Houston.

9 Things I went through at Astroworld...

1. The employes are rude

2. It is dirty, costly, lines are long having to wait over an hour

3. Pay phones do not work

4. Restrooms are very dirty

5. Only peope I see there is punks and gangs

6. You have to watch your personal items, cause it will get stolen

7. Rides either shut down, or broke down

8. It needs a good paint job on rides

9. Half of the concessions were closed

Kinda surprised as well that Astroworld made the top ten list as well. I think Astroworld's executives need to build roller-coasters in Astroworld that rival that of Cedar Point in Ohio, or (where I personally think is the best theme part in America) Islands Of Adventure in Universal Studios Orlando. The rides need to be longer, there needs to be more rides in the first place, and they need to tie Astroworld's business and entertainment with its surroundings i.e. the hotels, the Houston Texans, The Rodeo, the car shows, the relant concerts and events.

Though I'm proud that a Houston theme park made the list, but I feel Astroworld still has a lot of work on, and if Islands of Adventure Orlando was on the list, I would consider the list more competent.

I hear ya on that list.

let's not forget:

1. Overpriced concession

2. NO musical acts/theatrical acts to watch

3. Where the heck are the cartoon characters for kids to enjoy! (on a cig break?)

(as someone said) place is dirty, half the concessions ARE closed, the rides look VERY old!

Its embarrassing. It kinda reminds me of well...I play Zoo Tycoon but when your playing a "Tycoon" game and you let your rides go to .... just to see how annoyed your guests will be. Well its kinda like that!

I remember astroworld at its peak! (when I was younger it was THE place to go!) I mean even FUNPLEX looks more fun to be at for kids then Astroworld!

Is "Splashtown" -owned by Astroworld (I think) this badly in shape?

I would never go back to Astroworld. It's the worst theme park to go to in the U.S. They need to shut it down, or relocate it somewhere else in Houston.

9 Things I went through at Astroworld...

1. The employes are rude

2. It is dirty, costly, lines are long having to wait over an hour

3. Pay phones do not work

4. Restrooms are very dirty

5. Only peope I see there is punks and gangs

6. You have to watch your personal items, cause it will get stolen

7. Rides either shut down, or broke down

8. It needs a good paint job on rides

9. Half of the concessions were closed

They should just tear down all of the darn rides, and redevelop the entire darned parcel(since it is so close to the rail).!

Archived