Webster St. At Brazos St.

murray

Hello all, new to the board!!!

Anyone have news on the development at Webster and Brazos (between 2222 and Post apartments)? First stages of development today after the demo....

Sorry if this has been posted before, like I said, I am new!

Hello all, new to the board!!!

Anyone have news on the development at Webster and Brazos (between 2222 and Post apartments)? First stages of development today after the demo....

Sorry if this has been posted before, like I said, I am new!

Welcome Murray :D

Trying to think of this place but I'm drawing a blank :blink:

I'm sure some one here will be able to answer your question or at least point you in the right direction

I live next door to this site and just walked past it. There is a bulldozer and a bunch of wooden posts with little flags on top. The lot size is about 3/4ths of the block. There's still a house and a one-story building on the SE corner of the lot. My wild guess is that they're going to build condos/townhomes there, but I'll report back if I see them put a sign up announcing what it is.

Farb's development was (is?) going to be down on McGowen. There was a sign there that announced it. Not sure if it's still there. Unless they've changed their location, this is something else.

A while back, a development zoning meeting sign was posted that read Hibernia something or another..... can't remember exactly what the complete name was.

This is, in my opinion about as prime as you can get in Midtown

Sorry. Just saw that CitiPlace will be located at 306 McGowen. It will cover the entire block with 4 levels of brick apartments. The project also includes another parcel though that will contain a garage that will connect to the apts. via a skybridge.

A while back, a development zoning meeting sign was posted that read Hibernia something or another..... can't remember exactly what the complete name was.

This is, in my opinion about as prime as you can get in Midtown

Hmm. I'm guessing the Hibernia refers to Hibernia bank. I wonder if they're putting up a bank there or if Hibernia is just providing financing for whatever is going to be built there. A bank that takes up that much space would be a disappointment in my view. I'd prefer some retail/restaurant/bar development. I'd settle for more residential. A bank, cleaners, another CVS/Walgreen's or a Greyhound bus terminal annex would be disappointing.

Sorry. Just saw that CitiPlace will be located at 306 McGowen. It will cover the entire block with 4 levels of brick apartments. The project also includes another parcel though that will contain a garage that will connect to the apts. via a skybridge.

This is across from Tipsy Clover bar/ El Patio right?? I almost bought a townhouse that would have backed up to the development

My apartment faces that lot. It's going to be a bank. That sucks. Granted, I'm happy to no longer have a vacant piece of land to stare at every day, but, to be honest, we have enough banks around here.

I'm happy for development, but I'm sick of bars, banks, dry cleaners and drug stores.

Isn't Post going to expand Midtown Square? I thought I saw signs of that up when I was in Midtown a few weeks back...

Isn't Post going to expand Midtown Square? I thought I saw signs of that up when I was in Midtown a few weeks back...

Yeah they are expanding to the lot of land where Webster and West Gray seperate....

Not sure when they are going to move foward however

I hope it's not a bank too. This is the one area that has potential to be a pedestrian area. CVS severely stunted its growth, and a bank may pull the chord. I'd much rather have restruant and retail. We've got to start attending some meetings and take a bigger role in our neighborhood. That includes me. :(

My apartment faces that lot. It's going to be a bank. That sucks. Granted, I'm happy to no longer have a vacant piece of land to stare at every day, but, to be honest, we have enough banks around here.

I'm happy for development, but I'm sick of bars, banks, dry cleaners and drug stores.

Agreed... yet another huge disappointment for Midtown (and in a very strategic location!). The saga of more poorly-conceived, car-centric, unimaginative Houston development continues. :angry:

It is in fact a bank! :angry: - Capital Freaking One

I just called Tuscan Builders (I saw the sign while driving by daily after work). They said there is in fact going to be a Capital One bank there. Apparently they bought out Hibernia.

I questioned her because its a huge lot - Is there going to be a huge parking lot there? She said she didnt know but its possible there might be retail that surrounds it. I guess thats a plus.

IMHO I think Midtown needs more density - more residents - and more people who walk.

BTW - Farb Properties has begun demolition at Bagby and McGowen, and should begin building in the fall.

It is in fact a bank! :angry: - Capital Freaking One

I just called Tuscan Builders (I saw the sign while driving by daily after work). They said there is in fact going to be a Capital One bank there. Apparently they bought out Hibernia.

I questioned her because its a huge lot - Is there going to be a huge parking lot there? She said she didnt know but its possible there might be retail that surrounds it. I guess thats a plus.

IMHO I think Midtown needs more density - more residents - and more people who walk.

BTW - Farb Properties has begun demolition at Bagby and McGowen, and should begin building in the fall.

Super cool...about Farb, not about the bank.

• 5 weeks later...
How do you figure that the odds are for this one?

about 90%... he had some major issues that recently got resolved. he is going to start clearing the site soon, BUT he will not technically break ground for another 9 to 12 months.

the property will be on three blocks with the main building wrapped around a 6-storey parking garage and the other two connected with catwalks. he will have the swimming pool on top of the garage with some pretty sweet views.

not saying its the "right" way to build it but different strokes for different folks.

:ph34r:

Guys, my apartment faces the new Capital One bank. (I'm woken up every single morning by the construction noise, but that's another issue). I have bad news. It's ugly. Butt ugly. It's got a huge drive through that is almost as big as the building itself, which says that it's built strictly for drivers.

Yes, it's "close to the street", but that doesn't mean anything. That huge drive through pretty much sums up their vision for the building: suburban.

Midtown f's up again.

Convenience is a lazy answer.

For people who moved to Midtown with the hope that they might live in a neighborhood free of such things, a multi-lane drive thru motor bank certainly isn't convenient. It makes walking that much more difficult and unpleasant and takes away the potential for an integrated, urban neighborhood.

Now, for folks who are just driving by, it's convenient. I'll give you that.

Convenience is a lazy answer.

For people who moved to Midtown with the hope that they might live in a neighborhood free of such things, a multi-lane drive thru motor bank certainly isn't convenient. It makes walking that much more difficult and unpleasant and takes away the potential for an integrated, urban neighborhood.

Now, for folks who are just driving by, it's convenient. I'll give you that.

People work very hard for the sake of laziness. This is what has driven technological progression through the millenia, and it is what gives rise to bank branches that are convenient to all instead of to only the walking few.

Btw, if you are for some reason disuaded from walking to a business because it has a customer base that is mostly on wheels...well that's just pathetic. Get over it.

Disuaded?

Where do you come up with this stuff?

I walk to work everday. I walk to the gym 5 times a week. I walk to my bank branch (there is no drive-thru) weekly. I walk to the dry cleaners and convenience stores. I walk to get my haircut down the block. I walk to the movie theater. I walk to Fenway Park to catch a game. I walk to the Pru/Copley Malls. I walk to eat out with friends and when I catch a play in the Theater District.

That said, walking in Houston is a helluva lot less pleasant and it has NOTHING to do with the weather. Sidewalks mysteriously vanish in places. Construction blocks off walkways. Vehicles almost never yield to pedestrians when they are supposed to. Also, instead of walking by contiguous blocks of stores, homes, restaurants, and parks, you are likely to have to walk across parking lots, drive thru fast food joints, motor banks, multi-laned CVS drive-thrus, and a host of other places that make walking unenjoyable!

This bank is a LAZY development. They assume that even in a neighborhood like Midtown, EVERYONE wants to drive. That is NOT the case. I wonder too if this bank branch will have hours in which the lobby is closed but the drive thru lanes are open? That's a fairly common practice in Houston and it certainly doesn't make things convenient for people who either don't own a car or don't choose to use one when they don't have to! So, get off of your "convenient to all" stance because in a neighborhood like Midtown, that simply isn't true.

This bank is a LAZY development.

Well that's good; I'm a lazy person. I have an aversion to exerting excessive effort.

They assume that even in a neighborhood like Midtown, EVERYONE wants to drive. That is NOT the case. I wonder too if this bank branch will have hours in which the lobby is closed but the drive thru lanes are open? That's a fairly common practice in Houston and it certainly doesn't make things convenient for people who either don't own a car or don't choose to use one when they don't have to! So, get off of your "convenient to all" stance because in a neighborhood like Midtown, that simply isn't true.

If you don't like something, feel free to complain. Businesses exist for their customers. Don't complain to me, though. I can't do anything to fix your perceived problems.

Disuaded?

Where do you come up with this stuff?

I walk to work everday. I walk to the gym 5 times a week. I walk to my bank branch (there is no drive-thru) weekly. I walk to the dry cleaners and convenience stores. I walk to get my haircut down the block. I walk to the movie theater. I walk to Fenway Park to catch a game. I walk to the Pru/Copley Malls. I walk to eat out with friends and when I catch a play in the Theater District.

That said, walking in Houston is a helluva lot less pleasant and it has NOTHING to do with the weather. Sidewalks mysteriously vanish in places. Construction blocks off walkways. Vehicles almost never yield to pedestrians when they are supposed to. Also, instead of walking by contiguous blocks of stores, homes, restaurants, and parks, you are likely to have to walk across parking lots, drive thru fast food joints, motor banks, multi-laned CVS drive-thrus, and a host of other places that make walking unenjoyable!

This bank is a LAZY development. They assume that even in a neighborhood like Midtown, EVERYONE wants to drive. That is NOT the case. I wonder too if this bank branch will have hours in which the lobby is closed but the drive thru lanes are open? That's a fairly common practice in Houston and it certainly doesn't make things convenient for people who either don't own a car or don't choose to use one when they don't have to! So, get off of your "convenient to all" stance because in a neighborhood like Midtown, that simply isn't true.

AGREED!

Archived