Spring Creek Greenway

pineda

Note: Topic discussion for both Spring Creek Greenway and Cypress Creek Greenway Hike and Bike Trails.

https://www.bayoulandconservancy.org/spring-creek-greenway

Sorry, mods/Editor, if I have "hijacked" the Woodlands/Conroe thread header and turned it into one that encompasses not only those two places, but also Tomball/Klein/Spring. Maybe you could consider changing the header to something like: Anything north of F.M. 1960 and south of Dallas! :lol:

• Like 1

This is going to be a sweet deal when they get all of it put together. 8,000 to 12,000 acres is not chump change park land.

Just for grins, yesterday I started to add up the acreage in Harris County owned parks, but there were too many. I was at 10,000 acres in Precinct 3 alone...and I wasn't finished. Add that to COH's 20,000 plus acres, and you've got a nice system, regardless of what the 'experts' say.

That's what I always said. Houston and the region has tons of parks. It just has be all acounted for to compare against other city system.

I'm working on the Bender's Landing drainage project right now.

Much of the land they donated couldn't be built upon anyway because of jurisdictional wetlands designation by the Army Corps and the floodplain issues.

Nothing would have developed there anyway, but now it is part of parkland it can have possible trails and park amenities so that people can enjoy them.

Guest danax

This is the way to prevent some of the negative aspects of "sprawl"; uncontrolled build-out with nothing left but concrete and buildings, which in time becomes very unattractive.

• 2 months later...

Sept. 12, 2005, 8:21PM

$1 million grant boosts creek project

Greenway takes shape along border of counties

By BETH KUHLES

Chronicle Correspondent

The Spring Creek Greenway project, a linear regional park that will meander along the border between Harris and Montgomery counties, has received a $1 million boost from the state to help acquire up to 630 acres of land.

The joint county project is expected to preserve up to 12,000 acres along Spring Creek from FM 2978 in Spring to U.S. 59 in Humble.

link to full story

• 4 months later...

IMO, this is one of the best things to happen to North Houston in decades.

Cypress Creek Greenway project proposes to connect a series of new and existing "hub" or "anchor" parks along Cypress Creek and Little Cypress Creek with linear parks or trail systems, hike & bike, and canoe boat ramps.

33 Miles of continuous parkland greenbelt and recreation a la the Barton Creek greenbelt or Terry Hershey park.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=...id=532252&rfi=6

• 1 month later...
IMO, this is one of the best things to happen to North Houston in decades.

Cypress Creek Greenway project proposes to connect a series of new and existing "hub" or "anchor" parks along Cypress Creek and Little Cypress Creek with linear parks or trail systems, hike & bike, and canoe boat ramps.

33 Miles of continuous parkland greenbelt and recreation a la the Barton Creek greenbelt or Terry Hershey park.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=...id=532252&rfi=6

That sounds really cool. I wasn't able to read the article because the site wanted me to create an account and I really have enough accounts at various places. LOL

Anyways, it's a great idea - something that should be done with Buffalo Bayou as well. I wonder if the Cypress project is going down into the CyFair area? I noticed last year or maybe in 2004 that Harris county had planted trees on the stretch of Cypress Creek between Grant and Eldridge. Or, I assumed it was the county.

That article wasn't the first I've heard about this project but I thought it was mostly wishful thinking. Maybe there is something to it afterall. They need to hurry if they're going to do it, though. As you know the Cypress and Spring areas are growing leaps and bounds. I don't know about Spring but I have seen what looks like some apartment development along Cypress Creek at 290 & Barker Cypress. And of course a big parcel of property along or around the creek at 249 & Louetta, formerly owned by HP has been sold to a big developer. I believe a small parcel right along the creek was kept by HP. Not exactly sure...

The project extends some 37-miles (and then some counting side trails and offshoots), stretching from the upcoming Bridgeland community, Riata Ranch area on the other side of 290 through Cole's Crossing, through Longwood, through Lakewood, through the HP campus and Vintage Park, through Champions Forest, through Olde Oaks, through Northgate, through Cypresswood and Ponderosa, through Westador, through I-45 through to Spring and so on...all the way to Humble. It will link up with the Spring Creek Greenway Project just past I-45.

All in all, this will be a relative wilderness with a city, where you can canoe for miles, hike, bike, etc. It's really quite pretty down by the creek, there are 30 ft overhanging cliffs that drop into the creek, huge trees and some neat topography you don't usually think of in Houston.

Precinct 4 is solidly behind it, but we need to get Precinct 3 commissioner to commit more resources so that this will become a reality sooner. We have enough doggie parks in West Houston, Mr. Radack. It'd be nice if you could see to it that your constituents in the NW part of the County (Cypress) have what could become one of the Houston's areas nicest amenities for outdoor activities. It won't take much as most of the land has already been acquired.

Edited by mrfootball

If this goes through it will be a great asset to the area which I live in. I am curious how they will thread the needle between Champions Golf Course and Raveneaux Golf Course at Champions Forest. It is a pretty tight squeeze through there. Also, Cy Creek gets pretty dang high when a good rain comes along, will there also be drainage improvements as well?

If you've seen Terry Hershey Park in the Memorial Area, then that'll give you a good idea of what parts of the Cypress Creek Greenway Project will look like. It's a very nice park with elevation changes like Cypress Creek that are neat for hiking, mountain biking, etc. The neighborhoods (ie. Wilchester, Nottingham Forest, etc) that border the park are highly desireable with this being a great amenity for the residents.

They're (Cypress Creek Greenway Project & the Cypress Creek Flood Control Coalition) looking for the various neighborhood homeowner associations that border the creek to get involved.

I think the whole idea of this is good for Houston, a city that increasingly lacks continuous opens spaces for outdoor activities. It'd be a highly desireable asset to the neighborhoods that border and access the Greenway, as well as the residents of America's fattest city who might benefit from a 10-mile hike, jog, bike ride, or canoe trip. The side-benefit, would be an appreciation for what this area used to look like, with its towering trees and diverse wildlife -- perhaps even fostering a bit more pride in our landscape and a desire to conserve it.

Here's a release regarding the Kickerillo donation of the former HP Land which includes the "Sam Houston Oak". It will serve as one of the 'anchor' parks:

http://www.ccfcc.org/images/Look%20Upstream%20Sept05.pdf

This is a very big deal for long term Houston Area Quality of Life, I hope to see it actually become a reality.

Edited by mrfootball

If you've seen Terry Hershey Park in the Memorial Area, then that'll give you a good idea of what parts of the Cypress Creek Greenway Project will look like. It's a very nice park with elevation changes like Cypress Creek that are neat for hiking, mountain biking, etc. The neighborhoods (ie. Wilchester, Nottingham Forest, etc) that border the park are highly desireable with this being a great amenity for the residents.

They're (Cypress Creek Greenway Project & the Cypress Creek Flood Control Coalition) looking for the various neighborhood homeowner associations that border the creek to get involved.

I think the whole idea of this is good for Houston, a city that increasingly lacks continuous opens spaces for outdoor activities. It'd be a highly desireable asset to the neighborhoods that border and access the Greenway, as well as the residents of America's fattest city who might benefit from a 10-mile hike, jog, bike ride, or canoe trip. The side-benefit, would be an appreciation for what this area used to look like, with its towering trees and diverse wildlife -- perhaps even fostering a bit more pride in our landscape and a desire to conserve it.

Here's a release regarding the Kickerillo donation of the former HP Land which includes the "Sam Houston Oak". It will serve as one of the 'anchor' parks:

http://www.ccfcc.org/images/Look%20Upstream%20Sept05.pdf

This is a very big deal for long term Houston Area Quality of Life, I hope to see it actually become a reality.

Awesome, thanks for the link!

• 1 month later...

Cypress Creek Greenway Project receives $10,000 from REI Willowbrook

By Amanda Llewellyn, Staff Writer03/30/2006

At the beginning of one of the companies most successful years to date, the outdoor retail co-op Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI), has announced plans to dedicate $1 million to community parks across the country.

These park grants are in addition to the more than $3 million in grants REI previously earmarked this year for outdoor recreation and conservation causes.

A total of 100 park grants, each in the amount of $10,000, will be given to non-profit organizations dedicated to the preservation and maintenance of community parks throughout the U.S. The two community organizations in Houston that will receive a grant to benefit a specific park and partner organizations are: Memorial Park and Memorial Park Conservancy, and local Meyer Park, in association with the Cypress Creek Flood Control Coalition.

"REI had an amazing 2005," said REI President and CEO Sally Jewell. "As a co-op we share our success with our members, employees and the communities in which we do business. I can't think of a better way to celebrate our success than by dedicating an additional $1 million to support our community parks. The importance of these parks is immeasurable in getting people outdoors; as recreation areas, as community gathering spaces and often, as our children's first introduction to the natural world."

Grant recipients were selected after REI employees identified community parks that were of particular interest to their customers, offered outdoor recreation opportunities, and were in close proximity to an REI store.

Once specific parks were selected, REI worked with park officials to identify a non-profit group that provides volunteer care for each park. In collaboration with the local parks, these non-profit groups will dedicate funds to projects that maintain and preserve each community park.

"As a member of the community, REI values the role that parks play in our lives and we are committed to caring for these important local resources," said Jennifer Hill, REI's Wertheimer Store Manager. "Each store's Outdoor Resource Center offers ways to get involved with local environmental stewardship projects. Last year, REI supported volunteer projects in Houston with more than 1,500 hours of sweat equity, and we look forward to continuing that tradition of community involvement for years to come."

REI is an outdoor retail co-op dedicated to inspiring, educating and outfitting its members and the community for a lifetime of outdoor adventure. Founded in 1938 by a group of Pacific Northwest mountaineers seeking quality equipment, REI operates retail stores nationwide, two online stores, REI.com and REI-OUTLET.com, and an adventure travel company, REI Adventures. REI offers products from all of the top brands for camping, climbing, cycling, hiking, outdoor fitness, paddling, snow sports and travel, including its own line of award-winning gear and apparel.

Comments about this article can be sent to allewellyn@hcnonline.com

Edited by mrfootball

• 3 months later...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/cyf...ws/4073057.html

July 26, 2006, 8:19AM

More land sought for Spring Creek project

Park will be largest ever in Houston area

By BETH KUHLES

Chronicle Correspondent

Montgomery County has begun the process of acquiring more land for the Spring Creek Greenway project.

The linear park, which will stretch from FM 2978 in Spring to U.S. 59 in Humble, will be the largest park ever developed in the Houston region.

The 8,000- to 12,000-acre joint effort between Harris and Montgomery counties will offer many recreational opportunities, including trails for hiking, biking, nature walks and horseback riding as well as canoeing, playground and picnicking areas.

Harris County also is busy plotting out paths and bridges for a 7.5-mile section that will run between Old Town Spring and Jesse H. Jones Park & Nature Center in Humble. Harris County Flood Control District recently acquired a 125-acre tract near the end of East Hardy Street and Interstate 45 and is preparing the preliminary plans to use a state grant to develop some trails there.

A new park, Pundt Park in Spring, is scheduled to begin construction in early 2007, and trails are planned for a two-mile stretch out of that park as well as a half-mile stretch from Jones Park in Humble. The trails will include a 10-foot-wide asphalt trail with a parallel horseback riding trail, said Dennis Johnston, director of parks for Harris County Precinct 4.

"We are into the nitty-gritty details," Johnston said. "It is slow work, dealing with flood plains, Army Corps of Engineers and wetlands stuff."

Pundt Park, located behind Lexington Woods, will feature a pavilion, picnic areas, playground, parking lots and restrooms.

Adding land

While Montgomery County has been successful in getting several major land donations for the project, it is now looking at tax foreclosure sales and right of way acquisition, which may include condemnation, to get additional land. Montgomery County recently dedicated $1 million in certificates of obligation to obtain park land.

"There is so much going on behind the scenes," said Robert Collins, special counsel for Montgomery County. "The pieces are coming together. We are really getting excited now."

Montgomery County is targeting about 100 tax foreclosure properties in the Timber Lakes/Timber Ridge area of South County and Spring Acres, properties that are located in the flood plain. These properties had been offered at a county tax foreclosure sale but were never bid on. If the taxing entities agree, the county can settle the outstanding tax debts on the lots and use the property for parks.

"Nobody wanted to bid on something they cannot build on," said J.R. Moore, Montgomery County tax assessor/collector. "These properties can be brought and sold to the county for the tax liens."

Three properties were approved by Montgomery County Commissioners Court to proceed with tax trust, the process of the county obtaining the land by paying off the debts owed to schools and utility districts. One tract in Spring Acres was 2.5 acres, while there were two smaller residential lots available in Timber Lakes.

In addition, Montgomery County hired KDM Property Acquisitions to obtain right of way for 20 tracts along Spring Creek. The estimated cost of the services is $38,000 and it will target property on the northern side of Spring Creek.

Linking facilities

Both Montgomery and Harris counties or their partners, which include The Woodlands Development Co. and the Harris County Flood Control District, own about half of the open space along Spring Creek and want to link the facilities with additional tracts along the creek. Spring Creek is only one of two creeks untouched by development in the Greater Houston area and is home to bobcats, deer, white cranes and red-shouldered hawks.

On the Harris County side of the creek are Jesse H. Jones Park & Nature Center in Humble, Burroughs Park in Tomball, Cypresswood Golf Club in Spring, Mercer Arboretum & Botanic Gardens in Humble and Pundt Park under development in Spring.

Harris County owns about 1,500 acres and is negotiating for an additional 150 acres between Old Town Spring and Jones Park.

On the northern side of the creek in Montgomery County are Peckinpaugh Preserve, Benders Landing Estates, Montgomery County Preserve and Montgomery County sports fields. Negotiations are continuing on additional tracts, Collins said.

The Woodlands also plans to develop seven miles of the creek.

Edited by mrfootball

• 2 months later...

Here's a new presentation regarding the proposed Cypress Creek Greenway project. It includes a number of maps and images of the proposed trail systems and routes:

http://www.ccfcc.org/images/CypressCreekPP...dit11.09.v3.pdf

The Greenway will run along Cypress Creek and Little Cypress Creek, stretching from Bridgeland through Towne Lake across 290 through Coles Crossing through Longwood through Lakewood across 249 through to the Vintage, through Champions Forest through Wimbledon, Olde Oaks, Ponderosa/Cypresswood, under I-45 through to where it will link up with the Spring Creek Greenway at Jesse Jones Park.

Edited by mrfootball

up until now, i did not realize that there were TWO greenway projects in the works. these are massive undertakings that will truly solidify the north-northwest as the "greener" place to live in the greater houston area. i'm excited to hear about this.

I can't believe how large an area this project encompasses, all the way from 290 to I-45. It will help to make the area more liveable, but we still have lots of work to do regarding the "psycho development" (my new term for it) that is starting to make NW Houston ugly and turn plots of forest land into generic retail or generic clusters of houses (I refuse to call some of the terribly planned new neighborhoods in spring and cypress "neighborhoods").

"

I bet NewQuest Properties would have paved the entire Cypress Creek if they were allowed to.

• 1 year later...

Even more space is possibly being added.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/woo...ws/5653656.html

I think this is the type of project that really helps a city but unfortunately goes unnoticed because it's not seen towering in the sky. I'm excited about this. For areas around it that are still undeveloped, I hope they are taken advantage of wisely.

Here is the official website.

http://www.springcreekgreenway.org/

Kudos to everyone involved with this project...this looks like it will really be something special, especially if they realize the entirety of the cypress creek - spring creek branches. If anyone hasn't seen these waterways in Harris-Montgomery county...parts are simple beautiful, with steep cliffs, hills, and rapids. I am glad they are going to get the treatment they deserve.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Cypress Creek Greenway Project Received Donation From REI
  • 8 months later...