Verdict in Andrea Yates trial

musicman

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing I don't understand. The "expert" witness that gave the false testimony that got the first verdict thrown out was back testifying at the second trial. Why wasn't he in jail serving out his perjury sentence? Why did the prosecutor bring this schyster back to testify? How much did the re-trial (caused by this guys lying on the stand) cost the taxpayers? The prosecuter has bungled this matter from the start.

The thing I don't understand. The "expert" witness that gave the false testimony that got the first verdict thrown out was back testifying at the second trial. Why wasn't he in jail serving out his perjury sentence? Why did the prosecutor bring this schyster back to testify? How much did the re-trial (caused by this guys lying on the stand) cost the taxpayers? The prosecuter has bungled this matter from the start.

They just said on abc13 that the trial cost taxpayers over $500,000

But if you murder five children, you're crazy right? No one sane would do that, right?

Again it is a matter of legal terms and the definition of insane. She definitely has mental problems. Unfornately her husband should have been responsible and stopped having children when her doctors said that she was too unstable. But he wanted to have a big family and kept pressuring her to have more. He should feel just as much guilt as she does.

They just said on abc13 that the trial cost taxpayers over $500,000

Isn't that ridiculous...they said that much of it was due to hiring outside doctors to find her sane.....It seems the county doctors were finding that she was INSANE and the prosecution didn't like that so they asked for an outside opinion i.e. one that agreed with theirs.

An action like this is an injustice to the judicial system.

I am sure we will see a lot of these cases in the future as far as insanity.

No we won't. The insanity statute in Texas is an almost impossible burden to meet. It is rare that the facts of a case merit even putting on that defense, much less having a jury act on it.

Now, if you are saying that conditions are ripe for a lot of people to go insane and kill their kids in the future, that's another issue.

No we won't. The insanity statute in Texas is an almost impossible burden to meet. It is rare that the facts of a case merit even putting on that defense, much less having a jury act on it.

Now, if you are saying that conditions are ripe for a lot of people to go insane and kill their kids in the future, that's another issue.

Seeing some of the parents that I do and some of the teenagers that I've seen, I think a little more insanity would probably do the world some good..

Bring back darwin!

Heard it.

My fiancee is taking the BAR as we speak so I consider myself an expert my proximity. Apparently, Texas is one of the strictest in the nation in terms of insanity rules. I don't know why but there is a lot of law in Texas that differs from the rest of the country. My fiancee went to law school in Virginia and said that Texas was routinely used as a minority example.

He is not a "schyster" he is a "quack" ! :mellow:

Yeah but how many times have we heard this on this news recently from families? It's almost predictable.

H eis not a "schyster" he is a "quack" ! :mellow:

Yeah Quack would be more apt. Actually he is a lying piece of c$%p who's "professional" opinion is anything you want it to be if the price is right. Why wasn't this clown thrown in jail?

I don't imagine the mental institute will be a country club enviorment. Where will they send her? Is Rusk State Hospital still in operation? That would be a great spot.

It will be Rusk State Mental Institute.

Hey Red;

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this verdict only in connection with the charge that she killed three of her children? If so, could the prosecution still try her for murder of the other two concurrently or separately? In essence, she may not necessarily be out of jeopardy yet.

Hey Red;

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this verdict only in connection with the charge that she killed three of her children? If so, could the prosecution still try her for murder of the other two concurrently or separately? In essence, she may not necessarily be out of jeopardy yet.

The prosecution said publicly that they will NOT pursue additional charges.

Isn't that ridiculous...they said that much of it was due to hiring outside doctors to find her sane.....It seems the county doctors were finding that she was INSANE and the prosecution didn't like that so they asked for an outside opinion i.e. one that agreed with theirs.

An action like this is an injustice to the judicial system.

We paid $500,000 to outside doctors to see if a woman who murdered her five kids is insane or not?

We paid $500,000 to outside doctors to see if a woman who murdered her five kids is insane or not?

Yes at the direction of the prosecutors because the county's doctors said she was insane and the prosecutors did not like that.

Archived