The Beatles By David Adickes

I saw on Channel 2 last night that all four Beatles, instruments and all (during their Sgt. Petter phase) will soon be standing 35 feet tall somewhere along I-10 brought to us by David Adickes.

Mr. Adickes purchased the land himself.

Adickes is also doing Texas Legends, in Mount Rushmore fashion, along I-10 as well.

Snap!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He said that these two projects will probably be his last major ones.

I don't get the Beatles thing either. I saw a piece on him on TXCN a couple of weeks ago and it showed him working on a Paul McCarty statue, but I never imagined it was for local display.

I love his Sam Houston. You can't touch that.

Well, I'll agree that at least the site seems appropriate. I classify it with the giant balls of twine, mud huts and "mystery spots" you see on the side of the highway during road trips.

Seriously, had they put Sam in a park on the campus of SHSU, it might have made sense...I guess. I'd still be more interested in a carved stone sculpture instead of this thing that looks like plastic.

Sorry, but I think Big Sam is trailer trash.

So now I-10 travelers will think, "Oh wow, people from here are insane," more so then they already do now?

Why does our city have to be scared with empty, pointless, cocaine white statues for no reason?

Tell him to make another banana or telephone or something.

The Beatles project has been in the works for years. It's not because they have any connection to Houston, is because the sculptor likes them. I believe the site is around Shepherd and I-10.

To be honest, I kind of like the idea. I just have a weakness for madcap roadside art.

I'm definitely in favor of this. Since I am a huge Beatles fan, I am slightly biased but, hey, they are the greatest rock and roll band ever and had a huge impact on our culture.

A cowboy or an astronaut is so predictable. Let's do something different. Somethng that will get more attention. If nothing else, people will be scratching their head...Beatles....Houston...okay, I give up!

There is one connection. Ringo Starr wanted to move to Houston as a teenager to be near his musical idol Lightnin' Hopkins. He and a friend actually filled out the preliminary paperwork before they decided it was just too much of a hassle.

Hopkins

The Beatles project has been in the works for years. It's not because they have any connection to Houston, is because the sculptor likes them. I believe the site is around Shepherd and I-10.

To be honest, I kind of like the idea. I just have a weakness for madcap roadside art.

I'm with you. I'm a big fan of David Adickes and this project. Has anyone ever been to his studio on Summer? It's so fun.

Archived