Parrothead

Life Forms Homes, circa 1984-1990

We live in Trace Creek, and love the neighborhood. Safe, quiet streets, lots of kids in the age group you mentioned. I really love Lifeforms; a pity they went out of business.

Treehouse is what Lifeforms called the homes with the primary living areas upstairs. Our house has the living room, dining room, kitchen, breakfast room, office, master suite, and sunroom upstairs. Downstairs is the den and the other three bedrooms.

I see these post go back to July 2006 but I'm hoping to get some more information as we are actively looking to buy.

We plan to move from Houston to the Woodlands NOW. The things I want/need of the Woodlands are: a house on a greenbelt (or very wooded), neighborhood with lots of kids (ages 6-12), not too far back into the woodlands, quiet from street noise, and great schools for all levels. Lifeforms seems to be the right fit for the living in the trees idea. I don't see the point of moving to The Woodlands and living in a typical builder house.

We have been looking in IS,CC,PC. I like some houses in Grogans but worry there are not young kids around. I like Trace Creek a lot and I'm also drawn to the area around Bear Branch Park. Let me know your thoughts of areas to look at. People always refer to the "treehouse". Is this the most popular plan of lifeforms? Is there a way to search for lifeforms on the market now? I see the one on windstar... Parrothead seems to know how to do this.

There have been many good posts but special thanks to Parrothead, Bachanon, and Arch Daniel for the insightful comments. I look forward to your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks, archidave

Hey, you guys..we are moving from Houston to the Woodlands. We LOVE the Lifeforms homes, too. The only problem is..most of them were built around the Grogans/Panther Creek/Cochrans Crossing that is zoned to a different elem/intermediate school than we'd like them to be. We'd love to be closer in like Grogan's or Panthers where so many of the great Lifeforms homes are.

If any one out there can relate..I have a question for you about some of the private schools up there. Does anyone know about the Esprit International school in the Woodlands? It's a Montessori School that has applied/received International Baccalaureate ranking (While ALL the schools are great in the Woodlands we are in a Vanguard/IB school in Houston..sorry to get a little off topic here)..we are curious about this school. It is off Panther Creek Blvd. Some of the older Lifeforms homes are smaller and so much better priced, it would almost be the same price to buy one of those we really like, and go for a private school if it's not as pricy as Cooper..

IB (International Baccalaureate) is known for excellent academic standards. Especially if you're looking for a more international scope in your kid's education as opposed to the standard "US is best screw the rest" fare, this might be for you. What I'm not sure about is how that goes along with Montessori, seems linke a bit of philosophical mismatch to me, but who knows.

I cant believe no one has mentioned the life forms townhomes! There are some across the street from wilkerson int. I think the subdivision is called the Arbors. My family moved to the woodlands in '83. They have always been my favorite townhomes. THEY HAVE TREES! and beautiful porches. I currently live in a 1920s bungalow in the heights.. if I was ever to move back to the woods it would be to a life form home absolutley. Scott Mitchell was the son of George and he did the majority of the design for life forms. You can also find alot of his work in the North Millbend area. I think the Lazy Lane houses were his as well.

I cant believe no one has mentioned the life forms townhomes! There are some across the street from wilkerson int. I think the subdivision is called the Arbors. My family moved to the woodlands in '83. They have always been my favorite townhomes. THEY HAVE TREES! and beautiful porches. I currently live in a 1920s bungalow in the heights.. if I was ever to move back to the woods it would be to a life form home absolutley. Scott Mitchell was the son of George and he did the majority of the design for life forms. You can also find alot of his work in the North Millbend area. I think the Lazy Lane houses were his as well.

You're correct - those townhomes are really awesome. I also like the Stone Mill/Stone Creek Courts projects, though they don't have the same "woodsy" Life Forms contemporary feel of The Arbors.

I would LOVE to see copies of their plans from Trace Creek, hands-down my favorite enclave in The Woodlands. I'm still devastated that LFH went out of business.

You're correct - those townhomes are really awesome. I also like the Stone Mill/Stone Creek Courts projects, though they don't have the same "woodsy" Life Forms contemporary feel of The Arbors.

I would LOVE to see copies of their plans from Trace Creek, hands-down my favorite enclave in The Woodlands. I'm still devastated that LFH went out of business.

When I moved into Trace Creek in 2004, I began a quest to get plans for my home. I called Life Forms - they were no help, saying they didn't keep plans for homes built over 10 years ago. I then called the Woodlands Associations, to see if the plans were on file, as they're supposed to be. Nope.

So I hit a dead end. If anyone has plans for a circa 1989 Treehouse, the largest plan with the upstairs office, please drop me a note.

When I moved into Trace Creek in 2004, I began a quest to get plans for my home. I called Life Forms - they were no help, saying they didn't keep plans for homes built over 10 years ago. I then called the Woodlands Associations, to see if the plans were on file, as they're supposed to be. Nope.

So I hit a dead end. If anyone has plans for a circa 1989 Treehouse, the largest plan with the upstairs office, please drop me a note.

I seem to remember a realtor who kept plans for lots of houses and models. Don't remember her name, offhand, but I'll bet there are a few obsessive/compulsive realtors who collect these things as houses come out, so that they are equipped with the floor plans when they sell the houses years down the road. Maybe start calling the local realtors?

Who knows, I might even have one in my piles, somewhere, because we offered on a Treehouse once (just off Gosling in that Hidden Lakes area, on Misty Morning). If I find it one of these days, (I'm in a major declutter mode this year), I'd be happy to send you a copy, but I'd try realtors first.

I seem to remember a realtor who kept plans for lots of houses and models. Don't remember her name, offhand, but I'll bet there are a few obsessive/compulsive realtors who collect these things as houses come out, so that they are equipped with the floor plans when they sell the houses years down the road. Maybe start calling the local realtors?

Who knows, I might even have one in my piles, somewhere, because we offered on a Treehouse once (just off Gosling in that Hidden Lakes area, on Misty Morning). If I find it one of these days, (I'm in a major declutter mode this year), I'd be happy to send you a copy, but I'd try realtors first.

Our neighborhood is circa 94. Would that help if I could find one among my neighbors?

Hey Albert Nurick--If you read this!!

You stated that you contacted Lifeforms Homes--was that

"recently"

I thought that they went out of business (or something of the sort)

Is there anyone "left from the company" around these parts?

If so---do you have their telephone number?

I tried calling information---nothing

Any help you could give me is appreciated!!!!!!!

Edited by celiene

I'm glad I found this thread!

My husband, our infant twins and I are relocating back to TX (I went to school & worked in SA) next month. My brother and new sister-in-law live in Houston and my parents plan on retiring to Houston within the next couple of years.

We've always been interested in unique, more historic architecture. Our 2nd home together was a 1929 Spanish Revival in San Diego. It was chock full of character but very small for our needs. DH is in a motorized wheelchair and in 1929, bedroom & bathroom doorways just weren't 30" wide.

We are now looking into renting in The Woodlands for a year or 2 until we decide where exactly we'd like to permanently settle. I was a bit down in the mouth about having to live in a cookie-cutter development but we stumbled upon a rental that was described as a "unique lifeforms" built in 1982. It needs some serious updating but it's biggest draw to us is that it's wheelchair accessible (has an elevator) and already has a wheelchair accessible bathroom. We would also have the option to buy once our lease was up.

The house is located in Grogan's Mill.

We would be renting sight-unseen (the logistics for me to fly by myself with the twins for a look-see are unmanageable at this point). We are used to moving into "fixers" which works well for us as we are then able to retrofit to husband's accessibility needs.

Any insight into this possible rental - rather renting a lifeforms house? How does one look for lifeforms houses on www.har.com?

Also, can anyone point me in the direction of a good, reliable and reasonable handy-man?

Thanks so much! We're looking forward to being back in TX!

I'm glad I found this thread!

My husband, our infant twins and I are relocating back to TX (I went to school & worked in SA) next month. My brother and new sister-in-law live in Houston and my parents plan on retiring to Houston within the next couple of years.

We've always been interested in unique, more historic architecture. Our 2nd home together was a 1929 Spanish Revival in San Diego. It was chock full of character but very small for our needs. DH is in a motorized wheelchair and in 1929, bedroom & bathroom doorways just weren't 30" wide.

We are now looking into renting in The Woodlands for a year or 2 until we decide where exactly we'd like to permanently settle. I was a bit down in the mouth about having to live in a cookie-cutter development but we stumbled upon a rental that was described as a "unique lifeforms" built in 1982. It needs some serious updating but it's biggest draw to us is that it's wheelchair accessible (has an elevator) and already has a wheelchair accessible bathroom. We would also have the option to buy once our lease was up.

The house is located in Grogan's Mill.

We would be renting sight-unseen (the logistics for me to fly by myself with the twins for a look-see are unmanageable at this point). We are used to moving into "fixers" which works well for us as we are then able to retrofit to husband's accessibility needs.

Any insight into this possible rental - rather renting a lifeforms house? How does one look for lifeforms houses on www.har.com?

Also, can anyone point me in the direction of a good, reliable and reasonable handy-man?

Thanks so much! We're looking forward to being back in TX!

welcome back to texas.

if i were you, i would find someone to go look at the house. there are a couple real lifeforms fans on the website who live in the area. one may be a realtor. hopefully, they will see the activity on this thread and respond to any questions you have.

welcome back to texas.

if i were you, i would find someone to go look at the house. there are a couple real lifeforms fans on the website who live in the area. one may be a realtor. hopefully, they will see the activity on this thread and respond to any questions you have.

Thanks for your reply and the welcome back to TX.

We decided to pass on the house for a number of reasons including that the owner wanted earnest money for us to BUY the house sight-un-seen NOW. Considering it's been on the market for 300 days without any bites, well...I think it's going to pay to be cautious and smart about it. Renting sight-un-seen is one thing but buying the house is another.

Still searching...

Hi, Ceilene -

This was shortly after I moved in, probably in 2005. At the time they had an office on Research Forest. As far as I know, it's gone now.

- Albert

P.S. If anyone has run across Treehouse plans, please PM me or e-mail me at albert@nurick.com . Thanks!

Hey Albert Nurick--If you read this!!

You stated that you contacted Lifeforms Homes--was that

"recently"

I thought that they went out of business (or something of the sort)

Is there anyone "left from the company" around these parts?

If so---do you have their telephone number?

I tried calling information---nothing

Any help you could give me is appreciated!!!!!!!

I wanted to reactivate this topic, if there are still Life Forms fans out there. My family and I are planning on moving to The Woodlands this year and we have recently become interested in Life Forms as a style option for our next house. We have been looking at Panther Creek and Cochrans Crossing for both location as well as specific zoned schools.

An opportunity did arise within the Village of Panther Creek in the Lehigh Springs neighborhood. A foreclosed Life Forms "Treehouse" is going for a mere $112K. It definitely needs a complete overhaul but it could be a diamond in the rough. Does anyone have any kind of experience with Lehigh Springs? Is it a decent neighborhood to raise two small children? Is it going through a decline? Any information would be most welcomed.

I would also like to engage anyone interested in talking about Life Forms houses as well.

I wanted to reactivate this topic, if there are still Life Forms fans out there. My family and I are planning on moving to The Woodlands this year and we have recently become interested in Life Forms as a style option for our next house. We have been looking at Panther Creek and Cochrans Crossing for both location as well as specific zoned schools.

An opportunity did arise within the Village of Panther Creek in the Lehigh Springs neighborhood. A foreclosed Life Forms "Treehouse" is going for a mere $112K. It definitely needs a complete overhaul but it could be a diamond in the rough. Does anyone have any kind of experience with Lehigh Springs? Is it a decent neighborhood to raise two small children? Is it going through a decline? Any information would be most welcomed.

I would also like to engage anyone interested in talking about Life Forms houses as well.

Anyone familiar with the Life Forms neighborhoods in Cochrans Crossing off Rainbow Ridge, specifically Otter Pond and Gannett Hallow? They seem to be mixed in with Salt Box style homes. I don't know if those early American styles are also Life Forms designs.

Anyone familiar with the Life Forms neighborhoods in Cochrans Crossing off Rainbow Ridge, specifically Otter Pond and Gannett Hallow? They seem to be mixed in with Salt Box style homes. I don't know if those early American styles are also Life Forms designs.

The neighborhood you're referring to is Sylvan Forest. All of the homes on Gannet Hollow and Otter Pond were built by Life Forms, including the more conventional designs. In addition, there are several Life Forms homes at the corner of Rainbow Ridge and Echo Bend. Some of the designs from Sylvan Forest were carried over into future neighborhoods such as Clover Park in the Village of Panther Creek.

Other homes in Sylvan Forest were built by Ryland, Pulte, Hometown Builders, and Jefferson Homes.

Lehigh Springs is one of the earliest Life Forms neighborhoods, with all of the homes being custom designs (in the late 1980s that Life Forms became more production-oriented.). I believe that the larger neighborhood that Lehigh Springs is situated in is called Havenridge.

I grew up in the Village of Panther Creek, and Havenridge is within walking distance of Sally K. Ride Elementary and Ridgewood Park and pool. You can also bike to the nearby village center. The Woodlands concept as a whole is very family friendly, especially for young children. I would not say that any area of The Woodlands is in a decline, but with most of the homes in Havenridge being built in the early-mid 1980s, it is certainly a more mature area.

As a side note, the Havenridge and Wedgewood Forest neighborhoods hosted the 1982 Showcase of Homes. Wedgewood Forest featured more upper-level custom homes at the time.

Lehigh Springs is one of the earliest Life Forms neighborhoods, with all of the homes being custom designs (in the late 1980s that Life Forms became more production-oriented.). I believe that the larger neighborhood that Lehigh Springs is situated in is called Havenridge.

I grew up in the Village of Panther Creek, and Havenridge is within walking distance of Sally K. Ride Elementary and Ridgewood Park and pool. You can also bike to the nearby village center. The Woodlands concept as a whole is very family friendly, especially for young children. I would not say that any area of The Woodlands is in a decline, but with most of the homes in Havenridge being built in the early-mid 1980s, it is certainly a more mature area.

As a side note, the Havenridge and Wedgewood Forest neighborhoods hosted the 1982 Showcase of Homes. Wedgewood Forest featured more upper-level custom homes at the time.

Thanks for the information. Did you grow up in a Life Forms home?

We recently toured the Trace Creek neighborhood and were very impressed. Is that the biggest pocket of Life Forms homes in The Woodlands?

Thanks for the information. Did you grow up in a Life Forms home?

We recently toured the Trace Creek neighborhood and were very impressed. Is that the biggest pocket of Life Forms homes in The Woodlands?

I grew up in The Woodlands, but not in a Life Forms home. I have always been a great admirer of the Life Forms concept, though.

Trace Creek was the first "production" neighborhood that Life Forms did. Many of the homes were customized, though, making them very unique compared to other production builder neighborhoods. The idea was to bring Life Forms design to a wider audience in terms of the price point. It opened in 1987, I believe. The original model homes were on N. Wilde Yaupon Circle, which is the first right after you turn into the neighborhood.

There are other large Life Forms-only neighborhoods; some of which are: Haydens Run and Cochran's Green in Cochran's Crossing (built early to mid-1990s), Alden Trace in Alden Bridge (built mid to late 1990s), and the Sundance and Summerlyn neighborhoods in Alden Bridge (built early to mid 2000s).

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi, we are looking to relocate to The Woodlands, and I'm intrigued by the Life Forms homes. Can anyone tell me where I can find a list of Life Forms homes for sale or a picture or scan of any of the floor plans they offered? Thanks!!!

Hi, we are looking to relocate to The Woodlands, and I'm intrigued by the Life Forms homes. Can anyone tell me where I can find a list of Life Forms homes for sale or a picture or scan of any of the floor plans they offered? Thanks!!!

Dear gigijen22,

I think the closest you will get to finding a list of Life Forms houses is in this forum which provides in early messages a pretty extensive list of street names. With that information in hand you should regularly check the HAR website to see if any are coming up on the market. As for floor plans, I have searched for them and never found any.

My husband and I are the lucky couple who bought the "diamond in the rough" on Lehigh Street in 2009. We totally gutted it and work like slaves for 5 months to turn the inside into our dream home (still a lot of work to be done on the outside).

We love to explore the Woodlands on our bikes searching for other Life Forms. Even though they have a very distinct look they all are very different. In the last couple years I have seen a few going for sale but I also noticed that they more often come up for lease rather than for sale.

I wish you the best of luck.

I just did a quick scan on HAR and I found several Life Forms for sale:

31 Lucky Leaf Ct (not listed as a Life Form but sure looks like one)

99 Misty Morning Trace (a brick Life Form)

46 Sky Terrace Place

54 Winter Wheat Place

PS: Sorry I had not meant to start a new topic! just trying to figure how this site works.

Edited by FrediK

we are looking to move to the woodlands?

also Could someone convey in why Lifeforms closed?

What I read elsewhere is that they shut down their business around 2005, after they got hit with several lawsuits relating to their use of EIFS (artificial stucco). They felt they just couldn't survive with the expense of so many lawsuits facing them. I imagine that a lot of homeowners who chose EIFS probably ended up replacing the siding with real, hard-coat stucco at their own expense. But Life Forms wasn't the only builder this happened to: many others across the country also used EIFS and had subsequent warranty problems.

Andrea

So glad to see this forum is still active! It was very helpful to me when I was looking for our Lifeforms home in 2008. Like many of you guys, I am completely obsessed with Lifeforms homes!! We originally bid on one on Breezy Point, but lost that one. I am still kind of sad about it..but we ended up with a foreclosure in Trace Creek subdivision on North Wilde Yaupon. The subdivision is great, very family friendly. I will be glad to post new listings if I come across homes for sale in the subdivision or of any Lifeforms homes on HAR.

• Like 1

Thanks! Anyone else want to chime in with any new LifeForms listings? We have a contract on our house and are ready to go.

The only Lifeforms I can find for sale on HAR is 2 Shallow Pond Place.

Gigijen22,

The house at 2 Shallow Pond Place is too small for you, you said (it has 2129 sq. ft.). Well, I have a new possibility for you. This past week a Life Forms home at 11 North Mossrock Rd. came on the market; the listing says it's at 11 Mossrock Rd., which is incorrect. It's in the heart of Grogan's Mill. This one has 2601 sq. ft., so it's quite a bit larger. The lot is also larger, at 7480 sq. ft. The asking price is $179,900, or just $9200 more than the one on Shallow Pond.

Unfortunately the agent hasn't posted a single picture of this new listing, but you can get a very good look at the front of the house with Google maps' street view. With that low of an asking price, I suspect that the inside hasn't been updated at all, but it's in a great location. See it at http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cfm?mlnum=14366867

Andrea

• Like 1

Gigijen22,

The house at 2 Shallow Pond Place is too small for you, you said (it has 2129 sq. ft.). Well, I have a new possibility for you. This past week a Life Forms home at 11 North Mossrock Rd. came on the market; the listing says it's at 11 Mossrock Rd., which is incorrect. It's in the heart of Grogan's Mill. This one has 2601 sq. ft., so it's quite a bit larger. The lot is also larger, at 7480 sq. ft. The asking price is $179,900, or just $9200 more than the one on Shallow Pond.

Unfortunately the agent hasn't posted a single picture of this new listing, but you can get a very good look at the front of the house with Google maps' street view. With that low of an asking price, I suspect that the inside hasn't been updated at all, but it's in a great location. See it at http://search.har.co...?mlnum=14366867

Andrea

i really like the houses on mossrock and it's easy to get in and out of the woodlands from this area.

Thanks! Got that on the list to see this weekend. You say that the address is incorrect? THAT's why I couldn't find it on google streetview! We were going to go and see the Shallow Pond listing too but it is already under contract. What's up with 46 Sky Terrace? What It was on the market for 18 months straight, then took it off market for december and January, and in February it was back on market and then pending. The pending didn't last longer than ten days, so you know it had to be something off on the inspection. Anybody got the scoop on that house? Oh, also, anybody know the "official" name of that floor plan?

It turns out that the photos that were uploaded for the home at 11 N. Mossrock show a nicely updated interior -- not shabby at all. New SS appliances, including a SS fridge, and some new lighting. Yesterday (3/13/12) its price was reduced to $174,900. Did you ever go and take a look at it?

I'm trying to find a floorplan for a particular Life Forms house. If I had the address or photo of the house could anyone help me?? 3 Fortuneberry Pl

Love the contemporary homes in The Woodlands and came across this one.  Started doing some research and found this thread and figure it must be a Life Forms home.  Anyone still into these homes?  A shame what happened to the company with the stucco debacle but these custom builds in the late-70's-early 80's are fantastic.

Edited by jaxwithanx