Life Forms Homes, Circa 1984-1990

Parrothead

Where was the first LifeForms home built? What floorplan was it? Did LifeForms build exclusively in the Woodlands, or did they branch out to other areas?

Someone mentioned in another post that LifeForms is no longer around. Aren't they located on Research Forest somewhere? Their homes are so nice that it would be a shame if they were gone.

Where was the first LifeForms home built? What floorplan was it? Did LifeForms build exclusively in the Woodlands, or did they branch out to other areas?

Someone mentioned in another post that LifeForms is no longer around. Aren't they located on Research Forest somewhere? Their homes are so nice that it would be a shame if they were gone.

LifeForms is no longer in business. If you check one of the earlier posts in this thread, a member gives a great history of their existence.

• 1 month later...

:lol: Hey, you guys rock with all this helpful Woodlands housing advice!

My husband and I are looking at moving to the Woodlands in the summer. We have been out there several times, and LOVE it! We are moving for the schools, and great housing prices! We are even moving the grandparents, and we are equally impressed with ALL the cool senior stuff out there! Here are my questions for you..any feedback you can give would be GREATLY appreciated! The first question I have is about housing. Right now, we live in Houston, in the MIDDLE of the medical center, literally! We are close to the site where Baylor is building the new teaching hospital. What we love about our 38-year-old house, is its charm. Solid foundation, cool architectural details, high ceilings..stuff you don't find anymore. What neighborhood would you guys recommed, where we can find that in the Woodlands? Here's my equally important second question for you. Where do we look for a home if we're concerned about schools? I know they're all good out there. We would like to have Mitchell Intermediate, McCullough Jr. High and old Woodlands high school. Are they zoned to Indian Springs and Cochrans Crossing? We like both their subdivisions, but, we really like the old homes in Grogans Mills, PLUS Grogans Mills is so close to 45 and everything..does anybody know about the new College Park High School? What about students going there who live outside the Woodlands? Thanks, guys!

Edited by native5th

vicman will need to respond about the school districts.

my nephew, who lives with us, attends college park (we live in grogan's mill near town center). i'm not a fan of public schools; however, college park has been great for him. in comparison to the woodlands high school, i think the present culture at TWHS is superior to TWCP (the woodlands college park). college park is a new school. TWHS has 30 years of tradition and consistently receives high marks in education and athletics. i believe that college park will continue to improve and will be a true rival of the woodlands high school in years to come. if your kids are not yet in high school, college park may be just as noteworthy in a few years.

there are interesting houses in every village in the woodlands. grogan's mill is convenient and has homes from 90k to over a million dollars. the eastern side of grogan's mill suffers from i-45 road noise. west of grogan's mill road has some quieter spots. the deeper you go into the woodlands the quieter it is, with the exception of homes backing up to the woodlands parkway or research forest. also, find out where the nearest fire station is. i was not aware that there was a fire station right down grogan's mill road from my house. we hear the fire trucks every time they head south on grogan's mill or hit the woodlands parkway.

if you haven't already done so, get a map of the woodlands and/or use google maps when looking at houses.

feel free to PM me if you have other questions. i'm a woodlands geek and love to talk about it.

>:)

my nephew, who lives with us, attends college park (we live in grogan's mill near town center). i'm not a fan of public schools; however, college park has been great for him. in comparison to the woodlands high school, i think the present culture at TWHS is superior to TWCP (the woodlands college park). college park is a new school. TWHS has 30 years of tradition and consistently receives high marks in education and athletics. i believe that college park will continue to improve and will be a true rival of the woodlands high school in years to come. if your kids are not yet in high school, college park may be just as noteworthy in a few years.

there are interesting houses in every village in the woodlands. grogan's mill is convenient and has homes from 90k to over a million dollars. the eastern side of grogan's mill suffers from i-45 road noise. west of grogan's mill road has some quieter spots. the deeper you go into the woodlands the quieter it is, with the exception of homes backing up to the woodlands parkway or research forest. also, find out where the nearest fire station is. i was not aware that there was a fire station right down grogan's mill road from my house. we hear the fire trucks every time they head south on grogan's mill or hit the woodlands parkway.

if you haven't already done so, get a map of the woodlands and/or use google maps when looking at houses.

feel free to PM me if you have other questions. i'm a woodlands geek and love to talk about it.

Thanks for that! We are going to tour the schools. We have also looked at the Life Forms houses, but we are not limiting ourselves to those. We love the open-ness of them. We have a friend who lives on the golf course in Grogan's, and when you are in the backyard, you can hear the freeway, but she says it doesn't bother her.

:blush:

Greetings Native5th,

We moved from the Galleria 2 years ago and I understand the urge for both great schools and being closer to it all. We moved here for the schools and for the advantages selling our in-town ranch house would give us.

After being here for two years and seeing the massive changes underway, I would move to Cochrans Crossing. In fact, we may move up there from Sterling Ridge next year as we love a certain neighborhood and its much closer to TWHS and MCCullough. Cochrans is right in the middle of the woodlands, zoned to those schools you mentioned, and has houses in all price ranges. I love walking the areas off Cochrans Crossing between Lake Woodlands and Research Forest. They have everything from multi-million to wonderfully spaced houses around 200 or less, I am guessing. The area is mature, well-spaced, private, well laid out and has a the feeling of being in another town. Most of the homes are zoned to Galatas, Mitchell, MCCullough and TWHS.

You learn so much about the nighborhoods after living here for a year or so, its hard to find your niche when you are spending only weekends looking for houses.

Edited by KatieDidIt

Thanks so much, you guys..The big issue will be the schools in the Woodlands. Anyone out there who can give their opinion is welcome to respond. I am concerned about intermediate schools all the way through high school. We are zoned to HISD right now in Houston. Which schools have the best advanced classes for the Woodlands? We are probably choosing the schools first and then the neighborhood. I have to tell you, I was a little freaked by the news about the Woodlands High School kids being caught with Molotov(spelling?) cocktails near another school. Would you choose the new College Park High School, or the old one? I am a native Houstonian, but we were hearing so many mixed things about the middle and high schools in Houston, we decided maybe it would be best to get out of HISD. Basically, we haven't found a neighborhood in The Woodlands we wouldn't be happy with. We love the Grogans and Panther Creek areas, because they are older. But we were surprised that those are the ones zoned to the new College Park High School. Cochrans Crossing and Indian Springs we like a lot, too, and those are the old Woodlands High School, right? Also, do the kids in the Scout programs in the Woodlands go to the Boy and Girl Scouts affiliated with their schools, or with their churches? Thanks again..

Thanks so much, you guys..The big issue will be the schools in the Woodlands. Anyone out there who can give their opinion is welcome to respond. I am concerned about intermediate schools all the way through high school. We are zoned to HISD right now in Houston. Which schools have the best advanced classes for the Woodlands? We are probably choosing the schools first and then the neighborhood. I have to tell you, I was a little freaked by the news about the Woodlands High School kids being caught with Molotov(spelling?) cocktails near another school. Would you choose the new College Park High School, or the old one? I am a native Houstonian, but we were hearing so many mixed things about the middle and high schools in Houston, we decided maybe it would be best to get out of HISD. Basically, we haven't found a neighborhood in The Woodlands we wouldn't be happy with. We love the Grogans and Panther Creek areas, because they are older. But we were surprised that those are the ones zoned to the new College Park High School. Cochrans Crossing and Indian Springs we like a lot, too, and those are the old Woodlands High School, right? Also, do the kids in the Scout programs in the Woodlands go to the Boy and Girl Scouts affiliated with their schools, or with their churches? Thanks again..

look here:

District Name Links to the Accountability Data Table

DISTRICT NAME: CONROE ISD

DISTRICT NUMBER: 170902

ACCOUNTABILITY RATING: Academically Acceptable

GOLD PERFORMANCE ACKNOWLEDGMENTS: COMM COMM COMM COMM COMM SAT TSI TSI

ADV APIB ATTD READ MATH WRIT SCIE SSTD RHSP ACT ELA MATH

NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ ++ NQ ++ NQ NQ NQ NQ

________________________________________________________________________________

SUMMARY

ACCOUNTABILITY RATINGS ---------- GOLD PERFORMANCE ACKNOWLEDGMENTS ----------

NUMBER NUMBER NUMBER

OF OF OF

CAMPUS RATING: SCHOOLS ACKNOWLEDGMENT: SCHOOLS ACKNOWLEDGMENT (CONT'D): SCHOOLS

EXEMPLARY 14 ADVANCED COURSES 0 COMMENDED READING 24

RECOGNIZED 18 AP/IB 1 COMMENDED MATH 21

ACADEMICALLY ACCEPTABLE 10 ATTENDANCE 8 COMMENDED WRITING 19

ACADEMICALLY UNACCEPTABLE 1 RHSP 1 COMMENDED SCIENCE 5

AEA: ACADEMICALLY ACCEPTABLE 1 SAT/ACT 0 COMMENDED SOCIAL STUDIES 8

AEA: ACADEMICALLY UNACCEPTABLE 0 TSI ELA 0 CI: Reading/ELA 11

AEA: NOT RATED - OTHER 0 TSI MATH 1 CI: Math 11

NOT RATED: OTHER 3

___

TOTAL 47

________________________________________________________________________________

Campus Name Links to the Accountability Data Table

CAMPUS LIST (in campus number order)

GOLD PERFORMANCE

CAMPUS RATING ACKNOWLEDGMENTS COMMENTS

COMM COMM COMM COMM COMM CI CI SAT TSI TSI

ADV APIB ATTD READ MATH WRIT SCIE SSTD READ MATH RHSP ACT ELA MATH

001 CONROE H S Academically Acceptable NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ

002 W L HAUKE ALTER ED AEA: Academically Acceptable

003 THE WOODLANDS H S Recognized NQ ++ NQ NQ NQ NQ ++ NQ NQ ++ NQ NQ ++

005 OAK RIDGE H S Academically Acceptable NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ ++ NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ

007 PATHWAYS Not Rated: Other SPECIAL ANALYSIS

010 MONTGOMERY COUNTY JJAEP Not Rated: Other

011 CANEY CREEK H S Academically Acceptable NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ ++ NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ

014 THE WOODLANDS COLLEGE PARK HS Academically Acceptable NQ NQ NQ ++ ++ NQ NQ NQ

041 PEET J H Recognized NQ NQ NQ ++ NQ NQ ++

043 WASHINGTON JUNIOR HIGH Academically Unacceptable NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ

045 WILKERSON INT Academically Acceptable NQ ++ ++ NQ NQ NQ

046 KNOX JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL Recognized NQ ++ NQ ++ ++ NQ NQ

049 C D YORK J H Academically Acceptable NQ NQ NQ ++ ++ NQ NQ

050 COLLINS INT Exemplary ++ ++ ++ ++ ++ NQ

051 MOORHEAD J H Recognized NQ NQ NQ ++ ++ NQ NQ

053 MCCULLOUGH JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL Recognized ++ ++ ++ ++ ++ NQ NQ

067 MITCHELL INT Exemplary ++ ++ ++ ++ NQ NQ

068 GRANGERLAND INTERMEDIATE Academically Acceptable NQ NQ NQ NQ ++ NQ

069 DOLLY VOGEL INTERMEDIATE Recognized ++ ++ NQ ++ ++ NQ

070 TRAVIS INTERMEDIATE Academically Acceptable NQ NQ NQ NQ ++ NQ

071 TOUGH ELEMENTARY Exemplary NQ ++ ++ ++ ++ ++ NQ

073 CRYAR INTERMEDIATE Academically Acceptable NQ NQ NQ NQ ++ NQ

074 DERETCHIN EL Exemplary ++ ++ ++ ++ ++ NQ

101 ANDERSON EL Recognized NQ ++ NQ ++ NQ ++

102 AUSTIN EL Exemplary NQ ++ ++ NQ NQ NQ

103 RUNYAN EL Recognized NQ NQ ++ NQ NQ ++

104 HOUSTON EL Recognized NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ

105 MILAM EL Recognized NQ ++ NQ NQ NQ NQ

106 CREIGHTON ELEMENTARY Academically Acceptable NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ

107 ARMSTRONG EL Recognized NQ NQ ++ NQ NQ ++

108 LAMAR EL Exemplary NQ ++ NQ ++ ++ NQ

109 OAK RIDGE EL Recognized NQ ++ ++ NQ NQ NQ

111 HOUSER ELEMENTARY Recognized NQ ++ ++ ++ NQ NQ

112 A D FORD EL Recognized NQ ++ ++ NQ NQ NQ

113 SAM HAILEY EL Exemplary NQ ++ ++ ++ NQ NQ

114 B B RICE EL Recognized NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ

115 SAN JACINTO EL Recognized NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ

116 GLEN LOCH EL Recognized NQ ++ ++ ++ NQ ++

117 SALLY RIDE EL Exemplary NQ ++ ++ ++ ++ ++

118 DAVID EL Exemplary ++ ++ ++ ++ NQ ++

119 GIESINGER EL Recognized NQ ++ ++ ++ NQ NQ

120 GALATAS EL Exemplary ++ ++ ++ ++ NQ ++

121 BUSH EL Exemplary ++ ++ ++ ++ NQ ++

122 POWELL EL Exemplary ++ ++ ++ ++ NQ ++

123 BUCKALEW EL Exemplary NQ ++ ++ ++ NQ NQ

124 REAVES EL Exemplary NQ NQ NQ NQ ++ ++

201 JUVENILE DETENTION CTR Not Rated: Other SPECIAL ANALYSIS

Gold Performance Acknowledgment Key:

++ = Acknowledged

NQ = Does Not Qualify

http://www.tea.state.tx.us/perfreport/acco...tlist.srch.html

and here

http://www.conroeisd.net/about/maps/maps.asp

All the schools have great GT programs. We are currently in one. I do feel the education is much more sound than HISD and we get great art, music pe etc. No spanish and we still study for the TAKS <_< .

Don't worry to much about the bored teens and their little distruction modes. At least they aren't forming gangs like they do in HISD and now SBISD.

I can't help you with Scouts, but I can ask a friend who has a son in it.

I don't know what your price range is so I really can't fully recommend a neighborhood. But you can look at HAR.COM when you have time and then ask questions about certain streets and areas if you see something you like. I still say Cochrans and the schools its feeds to is your best bet.

We don't currently live in The Woodlands (right next to) but we are in the same Boy Scout district. My son is a Cub Scouts and they are primarily done by school to keep the boys together. I know Awana is done by churches. We do meet a church though. They don't have anything to do with the running of the Boy Scouts.

We don't currently live in The Woodlands (right next to) but we are in the same Boy Scout district. My son is a Cub Scouts and they are primarily done by school to keep the boys together. I know Awana is done by churches. We do meet a church though. They don't have anything to do with the running of the Boy Scouts.

Thank you SO MUCH, you guys. By the way, the more people we tell about our plans to move, the more we hear from others who are planning on moving there as well. We are also moving aging parents, and I know the Woodlands has a lot of things for them to do. Thanks again for all of your help!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I too have caught the bug viewing these beautiful houses. My fiance and I started looking at houses in the area roughly 3 months ago. I went through page after page of boring houses that all look the same until I came upon the Life Forms. I fell in love. We scheduled a showing and she fell in love with them also. At this point we may just wait a while until the right one comes on the market. For me, once I saw my first one, there was no other option!

I have always loved Life Forms homes. They were masters of use of space. There was very little wasted space in their homes. I have the line drawings of one of their homes built in the late 90's. Does anyone have any recommendations on who I can get to draw it up into usable blueprints or design a house very similar to it. We are going to build a house in the country and this is the only house that we have ever walked into and got that Ahh feeling.

Do you mean the 2D drawings that they hand out? I have the original drawings, elevations, etc of structure, electrical, carpentry, etc. from when Life Forms built our Laurel in 1994ish, on Greywing Circle in Alden Trace. It sits opposite a little culdesac near Midnight Moon.

• 3 weeks later...

Ours is in Sylvan Forest Katie, but I know which area you are talking about--I like that too, very much. Our street is off of Echo Bend (right off of Lake Woodlands Dr.) near Shadowbend Park. There are just two streets in there with LifeForms. It's kinda neat! I am so tickled about it. I will post pics soon!!

• 3 weeks later...
Ours is in Sylvan Forest Katie, but I know which area you are talking about--I like that too, very much. Our street is off of Echo Bend (right off of Lake Woodlands Dr.) near Shadowbend Park. There are just two streets in there with LifeForms. It's kinda neat! I am so tickled about it. I will post pics soon!!

Congrats, Parrothead! I can't wait to see the pics!

welcome to the forum hill country native.

Thanks! It was this Life Forms thread that drew me in. Fantastic homes -- I've been an obsessed fan ever since I move to the metro area. Especially those in VOIS and VOCC. I still can't believe they're no longer building. Their Summerlyn neighborhood in VOAB was really great, too. I wish more production builders would follow their example and quit churning out multitudes of bland brick boxes.

Thanks! It was this Life Forms thread that drew me in. Fantastic homes -- I've been an obsessed fan ever since I move to the metro area. Especially those in VOIS and VOCC. I still can't believe they're no longer building. Their Summerlyn neighborhood in VOAB was really great, too. I wish more production builders would follow their example and quit churning out multitudes of bland brick boxes.

it's unfortunate that the average home buyers buys what they do. i'm currently reading "the fellowship". it's about frank lloyd wright's taliesen fellowship in wisconsin. FLW believed that every personality required its own unique home. today's builders haven't a clue. it amazes me that people can spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a house that is like every third or fourth house in their neighborhood. spend 15% of your budget on an architect and get something original......just like you. ;)

lifeforms proved (imo) that there is a market for unique homes under 200K. is anyone out there filling their shoes? if so, i'd like to know. i'd like to work for them.