Life Forms Homes, Circa 1984-1990

Parrothead

We terminated our contract on Otter Pond today. :( Both hubby and I feel like we need to stay in Spring Branch ISD where we are, or at least Katy ISD, for right now. Both districts have exceptional programs for special needs students, and I was not getting good vibes from the administrators at CISD. They seemed to be put out that I even wanted to speak with them about my daughter when she wasn't even enrolled in school yet.

Our condo is still on the market, but The Woodlands, sadly, is out, which means Life Forms is too. I am a little sad, though not too much. I truly believe God has already told us what we should be doing, so I am okay with this decision. There are no coincidences, ya know?

:closedeyes:

We terminated our contract on Otter Pond today. :( Both hubby and I feel like we need to stay in Spring Branch ISD where we are, or at least Katy ISD, for right now. Both districts have exceptional programs for special needs students, and I was not getting good vibes from the administrators at CISD. They seemed to be put out that I even wanted to speak with them about my daughter when she wasn't even enrolled in school yet.

Our condo is still on the market, but The Woodlands, sadly, is out, which means Life Forms is too. I am a little sad, though not too much. I truly believe God has already told us what we should be doing, so I am okay with this decision. There are no coincidences, ya know?

:closedeyes:

If it helps any, I think you made the right choice. Everything you need is right there and very close by, which helps quality of life. Find peace in your decision.

Our home is not selling up here and I fear we will have to re-sell the one we bought in town. It will sell in a week or less. The market up here is totally flat in our price range and I don't think we can support two houses for more than a few months. We keep dumping the price on a 3 year old Weaver and are getting less and less showings each week. It makes us ill, we are so ready to move back and move on.

Edited by KatieDidIt

• 2 months later...
I'd find other owners of Life Forms homes from your street or neighborhood and ask them--I bet they can help!

I see these post go back to July 2006 but I'm hoping to get some more information as we are actively looking to buy.

We plan to move from Houston to the Woodlands NOW. The things I want/need of the Woodlands are: a house on a greenbelt (or very wooded), neighborhood with lots of kids (ages 6-12), not too far back into the woodlands, quiet from street noise, and great schools for all levels. Lifeforms seems to be the right fit for the living in the trees idea. I don't see the point of moving to The Woodlands and living in a typical builder house.

We have been looking in IS,CC,PC. I like some houses in Grogans but worry there are not young kids around. I like Trace Creek a lot and I'm also drawn to the area around Bear Branch Park. Let me know your thoughts of areas to look at. People always refer to the "treehouse". Is this the most popular plan of lifeforms? Is there a way to search for lifeforms on the market now? I see the one on windstar... Parrothead seems to know how to do this.

There have been many good posts but special thanks to Parrothead, Bachanon, and Arch Daniel for the insightful comments. I look forward to your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks, archidave

I see these post go back to July 2006 but I'm hoping to get some more information as we are actively looking to buy.

We plan to move from Houston to the Woodlands NOW. The things I want/need of the Woodlands are: a house on a greenbelt (or very wooded), neighborhood with lots of kids (ages 6-12), not too far back into the woodlands, quiet from street noise, and great schools for all levels. Lifeforms seems to be the right fit for the living in the trees idea. I don't see the point of moving to The Woodlands and living in a typical builder house.

We have been looking in IS,CC,PC. I like some houses in Grogans but worry there are not young kids around. I like Trace Creek a lot and I'm also drawn to the area around Bear Branch Park. Let me know your thoughts of areas to look at. People always refer to the "treehouse". Is this the most popular plan of lifeforms? Is there a way to search for lifeforms on the market now? I see the one on windstar... Parrothead seems to know how to do this.

There have been many good posts but special thanks to Parrothead, Bachanon, and Arch Daniel for the insightful comments. I look forward to your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks, archidave

I loved Cochrans Crossing. I used to drive over and park at Cattail dog park (off Cochrans Crossing) from Sterling Ridge and walk the neighborhoods over there. My favorite smaller neighborhood was Haydens Run ( main road in was Wisteria Walk), a Lifeforms neighborhood right by Galatas Elem.. Homes in the low 200's tucked amongst the million and up homes. The neat thing was you had to really drive back to it through a greenbelt, over a bridge that dead ended in a Park. Here's one listing http://www.har.com/7318724

Lots of the Treehouse plan in there too.

The schools in the area there are favored, however the education is no better than Houston schools. For now however they are"safer" all the way through High School.

Deretchin, the elem. school one of the boys went to is now around 1200 strong with temp buildings and drowning in ESL students, according to my old neighbors.

We moved from Houston to The Woodlands in 2004. Recently we moved back home to Houston.

Edited by KatieDidIt

These are the latest listings for Life Forms homes in The Woodlands:

Cochran's Crossing

11 Sand Piper Place

29 Windstar Court

Indian Springs

103 E. Trace Creek

22 Winter Wheat Place

47 Winter Wheat Place

26 Twisted Birch Place Ct.

10 Breezy Point Place

Grogan's Mill

11419 Slash Pine (Life Form's first neighborhood)

11425 Slash Pine

Alden Bridge

31 S. Greywing Place

66 Hidden Meadow

6 Hidden Meadow

15 Vinca Trail (newer built)

18 Flickering Sun (newer built)

15 Cloud Bank Place (newer built)

86 Flickering Sun (newer built)

55 New Avery Place

35 Autumn Branch Circle

Keep in mind some of the above have contracts already, but that doesn't mean you can't put in an offer! :D

Grogan's Mill

11419 Slash Pine (Life Form's first neighborhood)

11425 Slash Pine

Those two on Slash Pine are great looking examples and the price for that size seems very reasonable to me, knowing nothing of home values up there. Has Grogan's Mill become run down? It's been many years since I've been over there.

Grogan's Mill is located in the very front of the Woodlands, so it is not as desirous as being in, say, Cochran's Crossing. I wouldn't hesitate to be over there...considering it's a super-quick jaunt to the Woodlands Sawdust P&R. There are some parts of Grogan's Mill that are in the $750K + arena, and some that are in the low $130K's. The Slash Pine neighborhood will be seeing the same benefits like Trace Creek, Rush Haven, etc with the renewed interest in Life Forms. It's a good investment for sure.

there are many areas of grogan's mill that are almost 35 years old. every neighborhood has its own identity; the cheaper areas are more "run down" than the high end homes, the homes on the golf courses are typically maintained better. there is one neighborhood, doe run, that has many large older homes ($300k-$900k). in recent years, there have been two tear downs on the golf course (in doe run). there are many great buys in the 150K range. neighborhoods along north millbend are a 15-20 minute walk from the woodlands waterway.

here are some samples:

2811 w wildwind circle

2902 e wildwind circle

134 s tranquil path

25 doe run drive

140 timber top drive

moonvine ct

42 wild meadow ct

48 whisper drive

27 n autumnwood way

11022 meadow rue st

74 deerfoot circle

1915 oldfield pl

20 sawmill grove

1110 red cedar circle

12227 rock oak pl

grogan's mill homes/townhomes range from under 100k to over 2 million. the prices vary street to street. there are new homes still being built on the northern end of grogan's mill road past research forest.

• 4 weeks later...

We fell in love with Life Form homes from afar. We were in Mass. looking at homes in The Woodlands and decided we had to have a Life Forms, nothing else would do. Ours was built 92 and we've been here 2.5 years.

( Pictures from when we came to do the home inspection before moving into the home ) http://timestocome.com/wordpress2/2005/04/...ys-to-move-out/

I love it. The quality is fine, it seems no better or worse than other homes I've seen around here. The size is comfortable for us.

Coming from a 100 year old Victorian deep in the city in New England it was wonderful to move to a home with 2 story rooms and lots of windows. The Victorian was such a dark home. And though I loved the Victorian, I was ready for an open floor plan. All those charming nooks and crannies make for a dark home.

We live in Trace Creek, and love the neighborhood. Safe, quiet streets, lots of kids in the age group you mentioned. I really love Lifeforms; a pity they went out of business.

Treehouse is what Lifeforms called the homes with the primary living areas upstairs. Our house has the living room, dining room, kitchen, breakfast room, office, master suite, and sunroom upstairs. Downstairs is the den and the other three bedrooms.

Thanks, archidave

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, you guys..we are moving from Houston to the Woodlands. We LOVE the Lifeforms homes, too. The only problem is..most of them were built around the Grogans/Panther Creek/Cochrans Crossing that is zoned to a different elem/intermediate school than we'd like them to be. We'd love to be closer in like Grogan's or Panthers where so many of the great Lifeforms homes are.

If any one out there can relate..I have a question for you about some of the private schools up there. Does anyone know about the Esprit International school in the Woodlands? It's a Montessori School that has applied/received International Baccalaureate ranking (While ALL the schools are great in the Woodlands we are in a Vanguard/IB school in Houston..sorry to get a little off topic here)..we are curious about this school. It is off Panther Creek Blvd. Some of the older Lifeforms homes are smaller and so much better priced, it would almost be the same price to buy one of those we really like, and go for a private school if it's not as pricy as Cooper..

• 7 months later...

IB (International Baccalaureate) is known for excellent academic standards. Especially if you're looking for a more international scope in your kid's education as opposed to the standard "US is best screw the rest" fare, this might be for you. What I'm not sure about is how that goes along with Montessori, seems linke a bit of philosophical mismatch to me, but who knows.

• 2 months later...

I cant believe no one has mentioned the life forms townhomes! There are some across the street from wilkerson int. I think the subdivision is called the Arbors. My family moved to the woodlands in '83. They have always been my favorite townhomes. THEY HAVE TREES! and beautiful porches. I currently live in a 1920s bungalow in the heights.. if I was ever to move back to the woods it would be to a life form home absolutley. Scott Mitchell was the son of George and he did the majority of the design for life forms. You can also find alot of his work in the North Millbend area. I think the Lazy Lane houses were his as well.

• 2 weeks later...
I cant believe no one has mentioned the life forms townhomes! There are some across the street from wilkerson int. I think the subdivision is called the Arbors. My family moved to the woodlands in '83. They have always been my favorite townhomes. THEY HAVE TREES! and beautiful porches. I currently live in a 1920s bungalow in the heights.. if I was ever to move back to the woods it would be to a life form home absolutley. Scott Mitchell was the son of George and he did the majority of the design for life forms. You can also find alot of his work in the North Millbend area. I think the Lazy Lane houses were his as well.

You're correct - those townhomes are really awesome. I also like the Stone Mill/Stone Creek Courts projects, though they don't have the same "woodsy" Life Forms contemporary feel of The Arbors.

I would LOVE to see copies of their plans from Trace Creek, hands-down my favorite enclave in The Woodlands. I'm still devastated that LFH went out of business.

You're correct - those townhomes are really awesome. I also like the Stone Mill/Stone Creek Courts projects, though they don't have the same "woodsy" Life Forms contemporary feel of The Arbors.

I would LOVE to see copies of their plans from Trace Creek, hands-down my favorite enclave in The Woodlands. I'm still devastated that LFH went out of business.

When I moved into Trace Creek in 2004, I began a quest to get plans for my home. I called Life Forms - they were no help, saying they didn't keep plans for homes built over 10 years ago. I then called the Woodlands Associations, to see if the plans were on file, as they're supposed to be. Nope.

So I hit a dead end. If anyone has plans for a circa 1989 Treehouse, the largest plan with the upstairs office, please drop me a note.

When I moved into Trace Creek in 2004, I began a quest to get plans for my home. I called Life Forms - they were no help, saying they didn't keep plans for homes built over 10 years ago. I then called the Woodlands Associations, to see if the plans were on file, as they're supposed to be. Nope.

So I hit a dead end. If anyone has plans for a circa 1989 Treehouse, the largest plan with the upstairs office, please drop me a note.

I seem to remember a realtor who kept plans for lots of houses and models. Don't remember her name, offhand, but I'll bet there are a few obsessive/compulsive realtors who collect these things as houses come out, so that they are equipped with the floor plans when they sell the houses years down the road. Maybe start calling the local realtors?

Who knows, I might even have one in my piles, somewhere, because we offered on a Treehouse once (just off Gosling in that Hidden Lakes area, on Misty Morning). If I find it one of these days, (I'm in a major declutter mode this year), I'd be happy to send you a copy, but I'd try realtors first.

I seem to remember a realtor who kept plans for lots of houses and models. Don't remember her name, offhand, but I'll bet there are a few obsessive/compulsive realtors who collect these things as houses come out, so that they are equipped with the floor plans when they sell the houses years down the road. Maybe start calling the local realtors?

Who knows, I might even have one in my piles, somewhere, because we offered on a Treehouse once (just off Gosling in that Hidden Lakes area, on Misty Morning). If I find it one of these days, (I'm in a major declutter mode this year), I'd be happy to send you a copy, but I'd try realtors first.

Our neighborhood is circa 94. Would that help if I could find one among my neighbors?

Hey Albert Nurick--If you read this!!

You stated that you contacted Lifeforms Homes--was that

"recently"

I thought that they went out of business (or something of the sort)

Is there anyone "left from the company" around these parts?

If so---do you have their telephone number?

I tried calling information---nothing

Any help you could give me is appreciated!!!!!!!

Edited by celiene

• 1 month later...

I'm glad I found this thread!

My husband, our infant twins and I are relocating back to TX (I went to school & worked in SA) next month. My brother and new sister-in-law live in Houston and my parents plan on retiring to Houston within the next couple of years.

We've always been interested in unique, more historic architecture. Our 2nd home together was a 1929 Spanish Revival in San Diego. It was chock full of character but very small for our needs. DH is in a motorized wheelchair and in 1929, bedroom & bathroom doorways just weren't 30" wide.

We are now looking into renting in The Woodlands for a year or 2 until we decide where exactly we'd like to permanently settle. I was a bit down in the mouth about having to live in a cookie-cutter development but we stumbled upon a rental that was described as a "unique lifeforms" built in 1982. It needs some serious updating but it's biggest draw to us is that it's wheelchair accessible (has an elevator) and already has a wheelchair accessible bathroom. We would also have the option to buy once our lease was up.

The house is located in Grogan's Mill.

We would be renting sight-unseen (the logistics for me to fly by myself with the twins for a look-see are unmanageable at this point). We are used to moving into "fixers" which works well for us as we are then able to retrofit to husband's accessibility needs.

Any insight into this possible rental - rather renting a lifeforms house? How does one look for lifeforms houses on www.har.com?

Also, can anyone point me in the direction of a good, reliable and reasonable handy-man?

Thanks so much! We're looking forward to being back in TX!

I'm glad I found this thread!

My husband, our infant twins and I are relocating back to TX (I went to school & worked in SA) next month. My brother and new sister-in-law live in Houston and my parents plan on retiring to Houston within the next couple of years.

We've always been interested in unique, more historic architecture. Our 2nd home together was a 1929 Spanish Revival in San Diego. It was chock full of character but very small for our needs. DH is in a motorized wheelchair and in 1929, bedroom & bathroom doorways just weren't 30" wide.

We are now looking into renting in The Woodlands for a year or 2 until we decide where exactly we'd like to permanently settle. I was a bit down in the mouth about having to live in a cookie-cutter development but we stumbled upon a rental that was described as a "unique lifeforms" built in 1982. It needs some serious updating but it's biggest draw to us is that it's wheelchair accessible (has an elevator) and already has a wheelchair accessible bathroom. We would also have the option to buy once our lease was up.

The house is located in Grogan's Mill.

We would be renting sight-unseen (the logistics for me to fly by myself with the twins for a look-see are unmanageable at this point). We are used to moving into "fixers" which works well for us as we are then able to retrofit to husband's accessibility needs.

Any insight into this possible rental - rather renting a lifeforms house? How does one look for lifeforms houses on www.har.com?

Also, can anyone point me in the direction of a good, reliable and reasonable handy-man?

Thanks so much! We're looking forward to being back in TX!

welcome back to texas.

if i were you, i would find someone to go look at the house. there are a couple real lifeforms fans on the website who live in the area. one may be a realtor. hopefully, they will see the activity on this thread and respond to any questions you have.

welcome back to texas.

if i were you, i would find someone to go look at the house. there are a couple real lifeforms fans on the website who live in the area. one may be a realtor. hopefully, they will see the activity on this thread and respond to any questions you have.

Thanks for your reply and the welcome back to TX.

We decided to pass on the house for a number of reasons including that the owner wanted earnest money for us to BUY the house sight-un-seen NOW. Considering it's been on the market for 300 days without any bites, well...I think it's going to pay to be cautious and smart about it. Renting sight-un-seen is one thing but buying the house is another.

Still searching...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Ceilene -

This was shortly after I moved in, probably in 2005. At the time they had an office on Research Forest. As far as I know, it's gone now.

- Albert

P.S. If anyone has run across Treehouse plans, please PM me or e-mail me at albert@nurick.com . Thanks!

Hey Albert Nurick--If you read this!!

You stated that you contacted Lifeforms Homes--was that

"recently"

I thought that they went out of business (or something of the sort)

Is there anyone "left from the company" around these parts?

If so---do you have their telephone number?

I tried calling information---nothing

Any help you could give me is appreciated!!!!!!!

• 5 months later...

I wanted to reactivate this topic, if there are still Life Forms fans out there. My family and I are planning on moving to The Woodlands this year and we have recently become interested in Life Forms as a style option for our next house. We have been looking at Panther Creek and Cochrans Crossing for both location as well as specific zoned schools.

An opportunity did arise within the Village of Panther Creek in the Lehigh Springs neighborhood. A foreclosed Life Forms "Treehouse" is going for a mere $112K. It definitely needs a complete overhaul but it could be a diamond in the rough. Does anyone have any kind of experience with Lehigh Springs? Is it a decent neighborhood to raise two small children? Is it going through a decline? Any information would be most welcomed.

I would also like to engage anyone interested in talking about Life Forms houses as well.

I wanted to reactivate this topic, if there are still Life Forms fans out there. My family and I are planning on moving to The Woodlands this year and we have recently become interested in Life Forms as a style option for our next house. We have been looking at Panther Creek and Cochrans Crossing for both location as well as specific zoned schools.

An opportunity did arise within the Village of Panther Creek in the Lehigh Springs neighborhood. A foreclosed Life Forms "Treehouse" is going for a mere $112K. It definitely needs a complete overhaul but it could be a diamond in the rough. Does anyone have any kind of experience with Lehigh Springs? Is it a decent neighborhood to raise two small children? Is it going through a decline? Any information would be most welcomed.

I would also like to engage anyone interested in talking about Life Forms houses as well.

Anyone familiar with the Life Forms neighborhoods in Cochrans Crossing off Rainbow Ridge, specifically Otter Pond and Gannett Hallow? They seem to be mixed in with Salt Box style homes. I don't know if those early American styles are also Life Forms designs.

Anyone familiar with the Life Forms neighborhoods in Cochrans Crossing off Rainbow Ridge, specifically Otter Pond and Gannett Hallow? They seem to be mixed in with Salt Box style homes. I don't know if those early American styles are also Life Forms designs.

The neighborhood you're referring to is Sylvan Forest. All of the homes on Gannet Hollow and Otter Pond were built by Life Forms, including the more conventional designs. In addition, there are several Life Forms homes at the corner of Rainbow Ridge and Echo Bend. Some of the designs from Sylvan Forest were carried over into future neighborhoods such as Clover Park in the Village of Panther Creek.

Other homes in Sylvan Forest were built by Ryland, Pulte, Hometown Builders, and Jefferson Homes.

Lehigh Springs is one of the earliest Life Forms neighborhoods, with all of the homes being custom designs (in the late 1980s that Life Forms became more production-oriented.). I believe that the larger neighborhood that Lehigh Springs is situated in is called Havenridge.

I grew up in the Village of Panther Creek, and Havenridge is within walking distance of Sally K. Ride Elementary and Ridgewood Park and pool. You can also bike to the nearby village center. The Woodlands concept as a whole is very family friendly, especially for young children. I would not say that any area of The Woodlands is in a decline, but with most of the homes in Havenridge being built in the early-mid 1980s, it is certainly a more mature area.

As a side note, the Havenridge and Wedgewood Forest neighborhoods hosted the 1982 Showcase of Homes. Wedgewood Forest featured more upper-level custom homes at the time.

Lehigh Springs is one of the earliest Life Forms neighborhoods, with all of the homes being custom designs (in the late 1980s that Life Forms became more production-oriented.). I believe that the larger neighborhood that Lehigh Springs is situated in is called Havenridge.

I grew up in the Village of Panther Creek, and Havenridge is within walking distance of Sally K. Ride Elementary and Ridgewood Park and pool. You can also bike to the nearby village center. The Woodlands concept as a whole is very family friendly, especially for young children. I would not say that any area of The Woodlands is in a decline, but with most of the homes in Havenridge being built in the early-mid 1980s, it is certainly a more mature area.

As a side note, the Havenridge and Wedgewood Forest neighborhoods hosted the 1982 Showcase of Homes. Wedgewood Forest featured more upper-level custom homes at the time.

Thanks for the information. Did you grow up in a Life Forms home?

We recently toured the Trace Creek neighborhood and were very impressed. Is that the biggest pocket of Life Forms homes in The Woodlands?

Thanks for the information. Did you grow up in a Life Forms home?

We recently toured the Trace Creek neighborhood and were very impressed. Is that the biggest pocket of Life Forms homes in The Woodlands?

I grew up in The Woodlands, but not in a Life Forms home. I have always been a great admirer of the Life Forms concept, though.

Trace Creek was the first "production" neighborhood that Life Forms did. Many of the homes were customized, though, making them very unique compared to other production builder neighborhoods. The idea was to bring Life Forms design to a wider audience in terms of the price point. It opened in 1987, I believe. The original model homes were on N. Wilde Yaupon Circle, which is the first right after you turn into the neighborhood.

There are other large Life Forms-only neighborhoods; some of which are: Haydens Run and Cochran's Green in Cochran's Crossing (built early to mid-1990s), Alden Trace in Alden Bridge (built mid to late 1990s), and the Sundance and Summerlyn neighborhoods in Alden Bridge (built early to mid 2000s).

Let me know if you have any other questions.