Sign in to follow this  
DJ2025

South Post Oak Extension (fort Bend Parkway)

How do they plan to squeeze a freeway into the right away on South Post Oak (between Bellfort and Willowbend Blvd)???

I've been trying to find some schematics because I'm curious as to how they will do it without tearing down every business along that route.

• Like 1

I think they're going to condemn South Post Oak and build the tollway using that right-of-way. I just know that all of those properties will be displaced.

That's going to be the first time in awhile where they've had to do that in Houston to build a freeway (tear down multiple businesses)

At least that I'm aware of.........

That's going to be the first time in awhile where they've had to do that in Houston to build a freeway (tear down multiple businesses)

At least that I'm aware of.........

It's been going on for a couple of years now for the Katy Freeway expansion with both homes and neighborhoods. True, it's not a new freeway but it involves a lot more property than what the Post Oak tollway project does.

That is part of an old freeway that was planned for the area. The Bay City freeway which was first planned in 1971 but later deleted in 1979. The plan was to have a freeway extending from that corner of the loop south past the beltway going down parallel to the coast to Bay City in Matagorda County.

Those overpasses were the beginnings of that freeway. Check out a pretty cool site if you haven't already:

Texas Freeway

This will give some info on roads around Texas, past, present and future.

That is part of an old freeway that was planned for the area.  The Bay City freeway which was first planned in 1971 but later deleted in 1979.  The plan was to have a freeway extending from that corner of the loop south past the beltway going down parallel to the coast to Bay City in Matagorda County.

Those overpasses were the beginnings of that freeway. Check out a pretty cool site if you haven't already:

Texas Freeway

This will give some info on roads around Texas, past, present and future.

Yeah, TexasFreeway.com is a great site.

I remember when the South/West Loop 610/South Post Oak Blvd. interchange was incomplete in the 1980s and a couple of ramps were stubs that connected to nothing. In about 1987 the completed interchange and the short freeway segment on South Post Oak from the interchange to just south of West Bellfort (including the West Bellfort overpass) was opened to traffic. Before that when you took the South Post Oak Blvd. exit from the West Loop you went over the overpass above North and South Braeswood and then were forced onto a temporary exit to the South Post Oak frontage road and a traffic light at West Bellfort. I remember driving onto that old stub of freeway well and taking the temporary exit to get to my grandparents' house in Willow Meadows in the late 1970s.

In February 2018 Harris County Commissioners Court was slated to approve a consultant contract to study the project.

https://agenda.harriscountytx.gov/2018/2018-02-27ag.pdf

Brown  &  Gay  Engineers,  Inc.,  in  the  amount  of  $870,000  to  evaluate  and  prepare schematic plans for the alignment of the Fort Bend Parkway Extension, Phase II project
from US-90A to IH-610 in Precinct 1.

I don't know if that consultant contract moved forward to actual implementation. If it did move forward, it would be the first step in resurrecting the project, assuming that the study determines it is feasible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MaxConcrete said:

In February 2018 Harris County Commissioners Court was slated to approve a consultant contract to study the project.

https://agenda.harriscountytx.gov/2018/2018-02-27ag.pdf

I don't know if that consultant contract moved forward to actual implementation. If it did move forward, it would be the first step in resurrecting the project, assuming that the study determines it is feasible.

Wow, nice find! Thank you.