University of Houston To Buy Old Compaq Campus On Highway 290?

mrfootball

The Chronicle has issued a Correction to this story:

Developer Don Hand now owns the northwest Houston property where the University of Houston plans to open a satellite campus. The Hewlett-Packard Corp. sold the 47-acre property, which was part of a larger corporate campus, to Hand last month. A story on Page B1 of Thursday's City & State section included incorrect information about the property's ownership.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/corrections/4069053.html

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't want to see a new mall on 290. that would be the total demise of Willowbrook. just being greedy, i guess. most people in the Champions area head up to The Woodlands. If Willowbrook and the surrounding 1960 area decline, Champions is sure to follow. I'm up in the air on what's going on. I see a decline in the area, but then i see newer things moving in too. What I don't see are younger families moving into the older subdivisions like Huntwick, Champions and Champion Forest. The schools are declining as well. I can only hope the Kickerillo development will generate new interest in that immediate area.

• 4 weeks later...

Mrfootball...I thought they were going to build a new mall at 290 and 2920? I heard it would include a few more upscale department stores like Nordstroms.

However, being in the Woodlands, its almost closer (and more fun) to just go to the galleria/uptown.

I really don't like The Woodlands mall. Market Street and the Open air sections are ok though.

How back asswards is this?

AUSTIN - The University of Houston's plan for a satellite campus in the northwestern suburbs remains on hold while state officials analyze the potential impact on neighboring universities.

Neighboring universities from Huntsville and Prarie View!

From the story:

Raymund Paredes, the state's higher education commissioner, said he could not make a recommendation on the proposals Monday because the situation remains "very fluid."

He said the population projections suggest increasing demand for college courses over the next 10 years or so, but the proposed UH campus "is only viable with a high level of cooperation with other institutions."

link to Northwest Houston Chamber of Commerce

link to Action Alert to Community regarding U of H expansion

link to website discussing Closing the Gaps in Education

How back asswards is this?
There needs to be some sort of petition or campaign, as this is totally ass-backwards. No reason Sam Houston or Prairie View should feel its their right to hold up this project.

I just assume close down both universities and open up this one instead. I think area residents come first, and most area residents don't want Sam or Prairie View.

Texas Tech built a fancy garage back in the late 1990's which won several international design awards. It has come to be known as the 'Garage Mahal':

18_71.jpg

I understand that you're upset because you feel that Sam Houston State University and Prairie View- A&M are trying to hold back the expansion plans of The University of Houston, but this statement:

There are more people here than there are there.

makes no sense. There are many people currently receiving quality educations at both Sam and Prairie View and there are towns that are dependent upon that segment of their population in order to survive. I would like to see the issue more thoroughly studied from both vantage points before rushing to knee-jerk reactions, wouldn't you? Whatever decisions are made will surely affect large quantities of people, be they from Huntsville or Houston. I would think a second-look might be warranted because of that.

I think that what SHSU and PV are looking for is a "peaceful co-existence" with The University of Houston system, and are perhaps afraid that what they are facing is a "total cannibalization" instead. SHSU and PV also have their own "expansion plans" and these should be taken into account, don't you think?

SHSU and PV also have their own "expansion plans" and these should be taken into account, don't you think?

The THECB decides which schools can expand and where. UH led the fight to keep A&M from acquiring STCL and won.

But when the THECB restricts UH expansion in greater Houston then we have a serious problem.

SHSU and PV also have their own "expansion plans" and these should be taken into account, don't you think?

I think there's a fairly widespread community effort right now calling for UH to put a campus in NW Houston. Whereas, There's no community effort to support PV, and the Sam campus is located 30-40 minutes away in the Woodlands. The PV campus location outside of Wimbledon in Klein makes almost no sense whatsoever demographically-speaking and I'd be surprised if they could come up with as much as a quarter of the enrollment figures that a potential UH campus would have. They'd find a larger potential market if they were located in the Greenspoint business district, IMO.

Lots of backwards-assed stuff going on in Texas higher education. Too much infighting, no clear plan.

link to story that gives insight into SHSU's position

I can see both sides to this argument, and I have great respect for both SHSU, PV and UofH. They offer unique university experiences that all have their niche. There are students who prefer a smaller campus and enjoy living in a small college town as opposed to being in an urban area. I would hate to see SHSU and PV lose massive amounts of their student bodies, which could prove detrimental to the towns dependent upon those students. I'm hoping that this can be resolved to everyone's benefit, as I'm sure you all are.

The University of Houston's proposal to open a campus in Tomball, the decision for which will be made during the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board meeting on Monday (Aug. 28), and its effect on SHSU was also addressed.

Somebody should tell SHSU that the proposed campus is NOT in Tomball.

I have friends who live behind Compaq and they'll set you real straight if you say they live in Tomball.

Nice try. Anything to help your cause I suppose.

a story from the Chronicle touting the advantages of a NW campus for The University of Houston

Nice try. Anything to help your cause I suppose.
The boundaries for Tomball can be a little tough for anyone who lives here to figure out. I don't think his statement was meant to be misleading. Not that there's anything wrong with Tomball.
Gaertner said a large percentage of students who attend the University Center in The Woodlands, where Sam Houston has a presence, come from the northwest area. A UH campus would diffuse that student population.

This particular statement by Gaertner leads me to believe that he is worried that The University of Houston will cannibalize the student numbers ONLY of the University Center in The Woodlands. Is closing the University Center an option on the table at this point in time? What kind of enrollment numbers does the University Center have? What Montgomery County oppose a decision to close the University Center in order to let The University of Houston go forward with its' expansion plans?

They probably mean Montgomery Community College. I think Tomball has some sort of little college too. :wacko:

Actually Cy Fair, N Harris, Tomball, Kingwood, and Montgomery colleges are all under the same system. North Harris Montgomery Community College District (NHMCCD).

And Tomball's college isn't "little" by any means.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

on another note: y'all might want to blame the media for the confusion of the site. I heard on the radio yesterday that the campus would be off 249N (when it is 290). HP still has a little "hidden" building between Spring Cypress and Jones Rd. Maybe that's the one they were thinking of. It's next to that Mexican Restaurant next to the old Kroger's.

Oh and I heard that Prairie View is protesting because it will lose it's "white" vote.

Thats a major protester right there.

• 5 weeks later...

Email from Rep. Corbin Van Arsdale

University of Houston - NW campus -- Today at a hearing in Austin, the Higher Education Coordinating Board voted to allow the University of Houston to purchase the Hewlett Packard facility at Louetta Rd @ SH 249 to open a campus offering upper division courses. As part of a compromise with Prairie View A&M and SamHoustonState, both of those schools will also be offering courses at the new Universityof Houstonfacility. Universityof Houstonofficials stated that they intend some classes to start as soon as January 2007. Lots of people worked extremely hard to see this wonderful opportunity realized--and that hard work definitely paid off! Thank you for voicing your input. It really made a difference to the Board members.

Not gonna happen now...as always, UH gets its usual "support" from the state. <_<

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4225815.html

Sept. 30, 2006, 11:13AM

UH pulls plug on plan for NW site

President says state's conditions made campus unworkable

By MATTHEW TRESAUGUE

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

The University of Houston withdrew a proposal to establish a satellite campus in the growing northwest suburbs Friday, claiming state-imposed rules would cripple the project.

University of Houston President Jay Gogue notified the state's higher education commissioner, Raymund Paredes, of the decision less than 24 hours after the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board approved the new campus with a series of last-minute conditions.

The board extended neighboring Prairie View A&M University's right to block UH from offering 14 popular courses at the new campus by one year through 2012, while preventing UH from seeking additional state funding for the project.

It also increased the period that Prairie View A&M and Sam Houston State University could lease or buy space at the new campus by five years to 2012.

"It reached a point where we couldn't make it work financially," Gogue said. "That's when I had to pull the plug."

Not gonna happen now...as always, UH gets its usual "support" from the state. <_<

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4225815.html

Sept. 30, 2006, 11:13AM

UH pulls plug on plan for NW site

President says state's conditions made campus unworkable

By MATTHEW TRESAUGUE

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

The University of Houston withdrew a proposal to establish a satellite campus in the growing northwest suburbs Friday, claiming state-imposed rules would cripple the project.

University of Houston President Jay Gogue notified the state's higher education commissioner, Raymund Paredes, of the decision less than 24 hours after the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board approved the new campus with a series of last-minute conditions.

The board extended neighboring Prairie View A&M University's right to block UH from offering 14 popular courses at the new campus by one year through 2012, while preventing UH from seeking additional state funding for the project.

It also increased the period that Prairie View A&M and Sam Houston State University could lease or buy space at the new campus by five years to 2012.

"It reached a point where we couldn't make it work financially," Gogue said. "That's when I had to pull the plug."

We ought to pull the plug on Prairie View. Nobody wants them there anyhow, worthless school.

I'm glad it's not happening; it would increase traffic too much on 249 and they'd probably clear cut more acres of trees. No need to bash Prairie View because of this. That school is doing well, and they've been around a long time. I always said they needed to build another university out in Spring either east or west of I-45. They should have done this before the housing boom went nuts and all these ugly neighborhoods started being built. Now there's hardly any room for a university. A satellite campus would do no good, because students want a central campus that they can finish their degrees at. NW Houston is getting too big for students to be able to comfortably commute to UH Central Campus, and the long commutes will affect morale and motivation.

Archived