hows the inter-racial dating scene tolerated?

bkueb73

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...
In tampa, its not too bad, but you still get some stares.

what about Houston?

I can tell you Houston has quite a ways to go. After visiting in LA, San Francisco, and Seattle, you can see how far Houston is behind. I'm sure Houston is better than other major cities in the South, but still has a ways to go.

• 4 months later...
I got to say, for such a diverse place, there seem to be very few interracial couples, at least in comparision to other cities I had lived and visited before.

Very true. I RARELY see interracial couples in Houston (adults). I am from California, & it seemed as if interracial couples were the norm there versues the exception.

I can tell you Houston has quite a ways to go. After visiting in LA, San Francisco, and Seattle, you can see how far Houston is behind. I'm sure Houston is better than other major cities in the South, but still has a ways to go.

Houston really does have a way to go. Especially if one thinks Houston is progressive in the interracial scene. For example, it seems like in other major LARGE cities, caucasian men seem more open to dating women of different races and or frequenting spots where you find women of various races. I don't see that here at all.

I have a issue with Houston. For a city that is always screaming "diversity, diversity diversity" everyone seems to stay on their side of the tracks. & you best believe when you cross over to another side - stares and glares will come your way - this includes neighborhoods, hangout spots, etc . . . .

Very true. I RARELY see interracial couples in Houston (adults). I am from California, & it seemed as if interracial couples were the norm there versues the exception.

Houston really does have a way to go. Especially if one thinks Houston is progressive in the interracial scene. For example, it seems like in other major LARGE cities, caucasian men seem more open to dating women of different races and or frequenting spots where you find women of various races. I don't see that here at all.

I have a issue with Houston. For a city that is always screaming "diversity, diversity diversity" everyone seems to stay on their side of the tracks. & you best believe when you cross over to another side - stares and glares will come your way - this includes neighborhoods, hangout spots, etc . . . .

i guess the interracial scene never fazed me. blacks dated whites in my small catholic high school so now i rarely turn my head. what part of town are you located? saying that you RARELY see interracial couples surprises me as does saying that in CA interracial couples were the norm. what does make me turn my head is the children they produce. i like the exotic look i guess.

My chica is Peruvian and nobody seems to give us weird look for being together. We look at other interracial couples not because we are shocked but because we really like the fact that you see interracial couples here in Houston more often than back in Canada.

if your a white, somewhat affluent male, it seems like the minority women in Houston have no problem dating them but it's quite the opposite attracting a variety of women if youra male of another race...look at your affluent hispanics, if they grow up in a caucasian environment they take on their characteristics with no problem...remember Orlando Sanchez running for mayor?

don't know if it's culturally ingrained or what.....

Im black and the ex wife is Cuban. You wouldnt know it by looking at her because she was closer to white. We never had a problem but I tend not to care what other people think about who I date or marry. A look is not going to bother me.

That being said we were bike riding in Spring and she was way behind me. I passed this lady? who was talking to someone parked on the street in front of her house. She gave me a NASTY look and I said "How ya doin'" (killem with kindness). My ex caught up to me and said that lady stuck her tounge out at you when you passed (I didnt see it). I said yea and she gave me a nasty look too. That only had to do with me being black...

It will never end its all in how you react to it...

In the past (Miami) we had someone come up to us and say we looked great together... Pretty FN cool.

i guess the interracial scene never fazed me. blacks dated whites in my small catholic high school so now i rarely turn my head. what part of town are you located? saying that you RARELY see interracial couples surprises me as does saying that in CA interracial couples were the norm. what does make me turn my head is the children they produce. i like the exotic look i guess.

I have to agree with you. Interracial offspring are beautiful children or adult.

That being said we were bike riding in Spring and she was way behind me. I passed this lady? who was talking to someone parked on the street in front of her house. She gave me a NASTY look and I said "How ya doin'" (killem with kindness). My ex caught up to me and said that lady stuck her tounge out at you when you passed (I didnt see it). I said yea and she gave me a nasty look too. That only had to do with me being black...

It will never end its all in how you react to it...

thumbs up to u howard. it's great to see that u don't let ignorant ppl phase u. "kill em with kindness" shows ur the better person B)

• 1 month later...

Indeed, the Sunset Strip in LA is all about race-mixing when its history from the Roaring 20s to Motley Crue to the celebrity crap of today is very representative of WHITEBREAD demographics. Oh, I noticed the Key Club had quite a few Asians going in one night...forget about how I didn't notice too many whites hanging around some of the cool places in Koreatown.

Yet in Houston, downtown was once a haven for oops, white upscale Hollywood/South Beach wannabes...yet is now popular with Latino and African American crowds. Even back in 2002, downtown Houston still had places that attracted well-heeled blacks, Asians and Latinos. That's a hell of a lot more than what the Sunset Strip does.

The Sunset Strip, on the other hand, will probably NEVER see a shift toward African-American or Latino clientele that will forever be relegated to the environs of Compton and such.

So much for that Myth of Diverse California. And I lived there for many years.

And don't even get me started on the Gas Lamp in Colonial San Diego. Geez, where can I find Halal in spades in San Diego the way it's so plentiful in Houston.

Sometimes these arrogant and IGNORANT californians reveal something about themselves when they speak condescendingly of fabulous H-town.

Houston's New Chinatown shares GREAT proximity with Middle Eastern, African, African-American and Latino culture en masse.

LA's equivalents like the San Gabriel Valley and Westminster? Nah. Not even close. I have to admit, the north-of-Hollywood areas like say Vermont Ave comes closest to LA's ideal of mixed assortment of ethnic cafes...but the look is so old and Sanford and Son (junky). Give me Alief's green landscaping anyday.

Shows which town is more about REAL race-mixing, eh?

My partner is Puerto Rican and I am black. We get looks (mainly from other Hispanics but a fair number of blacks). Not sure if it's because we are an 'interracial' couple or because we're both male.

Go figure?

I've gotten over it (the stares) but doubt I'll ever get used to it. Lately I just stare back until folks turn away. Hit 'em with the same thing they hit me with.

My partner is Puerto Rican and I am black. We get looks (mainly from other Hispanics but a fair number of blacks). Not sure if it's because we are an 'interracial' couple or because we're both male.

Go figure?

I've gotten over it (the stares) but doubt I'll ever get used to it. Lately I just stare back until folks turn away. Hit 'em with the same thing they hit me with.

I think it is because you're both male. Houston is a very conservative town, sad to say.

Go figure?

Last weekend we went to the Galeria to pick up a tux and some new glasses. We were in the new portion (Nordstroms?) and saw so many different couples: interracial; same sex; intercultural; neither of us blincked an eye. We sat and had coffee at this place in front of Nordstroms and my partner leaned in and gave me a peck on the cheek. We got a look from one woman but other than that it was no different than if I had noticed she getting a peck. I pretty much follow houstonmacbro's stare policy: The patient glare usualy shames the judgemental away.

Last weekend we went to the Galeria to pick up a tux and some new glasses. We were in the new portion (Nordstroms?) and saw so many different couples: interracial; same sex; intercultural; neither of us blincked an eye. We sat and had coffee at this place in front of Nordstroms and my partner leaned in and gave me a peck on the cheek. We got a look from one woman but other than that it was no different than if I had noticed she getting a peck. I pretty much follow houstonmacbro's stare policy: The patient glare usualy shames the judgemental away.

Right on!

We sat and had coffee at this place in front of Nordstroms and my partner leaned in and gave me a peck on the cheek. We got a look from one woman but other than that it was no different than if I had noticed she getting a peck.

I would probably glance at you too, but not because I was being judgemental or disapproving, but just because it's not something I'm used to seeing that often.

Indeed, the Sunset Strip in LA is all about race-mixing when its history from the Roaring 20s to Motley Crue to the celebrity crap of today is very representative of WHITEBREAD demographics. Oh, I noticed the Key Club had quite a few Asians going in one night...forget about how I didn't notice too many whites hanging around some of the cool places in Koreatown.

Yet in Houston, downtown was once a haven for oops, white upscale Hollywood/South Beach wannabes...yet is now popular with Latino and African American crowds. Even back in 2002, downtown Houston still had places that attracted well-heeled blacks, Asians and Latinos. That's a hell of a lot more than what the Sunset Strip does.

The Sunset Strip, on the other hand, will probably NEVER see a shift toward African-American or Latino clientele that will forever be relegated to the environs of Compton and such.

So much for that Myth of Diverse California. And I lived there for many years.

And don't even get me started on the Gas Lamp in Colonial San Diego. Geez, where can I find Halal in spades in San Diego the way it's so plentiful in Houston.

Sometimes these arrogant and IGNORANT californians reveal something about themselves when they speak condescendingly of fabulous H-town.

Houston's New Chinatown shares GREAT proximity with Middle Eastern, African, African-American and Latino culture en masse.

LA's equivalents like the San Gabriel Valley and Westminster? Nah. Not even close. I have to admit, the north-of-Hollywood areas like say Vermont Ave comes closest to LA's ideal of mixed assortment of ethnic cafes...but the look is so old and Sanford and Son (junky). Give me Alief's green landscaping anyday.

Shows which town is more about REAL race-mixing, eh?

San Diego is only 6% African American last I check versus Houstons 18% Whites in San Diego account for over 70% as they do in Houston. What I have observed since moving here . . . And I am speaking strictly adults . . .

People here do not tend to mingle out of there circle in my opinon. When I met people when I moved here, and they would bring me around there social circle (or I observed this from afar) - everyone was pretty much from the same race, background, etc . . . Didn't see a lot of "diversity" in the social circles of locals.

San Diego, LA, San Francisco - It seems like many races were/are represented from every ethnic group when observing & being apart of social groups. People seemed more "open" in welcoming a person in.

Yeah, downtown here may have Latinos and African Americans - but are they socializing TOGETHER or in different clubs? Are the clubs representative of Houston or just one group who patronizes the establishment?

I'm not knocking Houston, however I still believe that many adults (locals) stay within there circle. I don't see many people venturing out to diversify their circle.

I pretty much follow houstonmacbro's stare policy: The patient glare usualy shames the judgemental away.

The people staring must not have been taught that staring at people is impolite. Agree with your and houstonmacbro's approach of meeting a stare with a stare. That's how I've always handled people who stare at me. I enjoy watching their response to my stare that usually results in their averting their eyes from my steady gaze. It's quite dramatic.

The people staring must not have been taught that staring at people is impolite. Agree with your and houstonmacbro's approach of meeting a stare with a stare. That's how I've always handled people who stare at me. I enjoy watching their response to my stare that usually results in their averting their eyes from my steady gaze. It's quite dramatic.

It's often QUITE dramatic. I thought common manners, such as not staring, are universal, but I guess they're not?

San Diego is only 6% African American last I check versus Houstons 18% Whites in San Diego account for over 70% as they do in Houston. What I have observed since moving here . . . And I am speaking strictly adults . . .

People here do not tend to mingle out of there circle in my opinon. When I met people when I moved here, and they would bring me around there social circle (or I observed this from afar) - everyone was pretty much from the same race, background, etc . . . Didn't see a lot of "diversity" in the social circles of locals.

San Diego, LA, San Francisco - It seems like many races were/are represented from every ethnic group when observing & being apart of social groups. People seemed more "open" in welcoming a person in.

Yeah, downtown here may have Latinos and African Americans - but are they socializing TOGETHER or in different clubs? Are the clubs representative of Houston or just one group who patronizes the establishment?

I'm not knocking Houston, however I still believe that many adults (locals) stay within there circle. I don't see many people venturing out to diversify their circle.

I have to agree with you that in Houston , many within their own circle do not tend to venture out to other circles. This is even more disappointing considering how diverse this city is.

I have to agree with you that in Houston , many within their own circle do not tend to venture out to other circles. This is even more disappointing considering how diverse this city is.

IMO this is particularly true in the burbs.

Guest Marty

The color of your skin should not matter, it's whats on the inside that really counts. the people that stare dont not have a clue.

The color of your skin should not matter, it's whats on the inside that really counts. the people that stare dont not have a clue.

I agree that it shouldn't matter. Unfortunately, in too many instances and for too many people, it still does.

Two of my best friends are a heterosexual couple that's interracial -- he's Caucasian, she's African American. It's never been much of an issue for them.

As for being stared at when out with a boyfriend in public, that's happened to me in Houston, but no more than elsewhere. In fact, the most aggressive harassment I've ever had about being gay was from someone in Seattle who yelled "FAGOTS!" rather loudly at my boyfriend and I and then started ranting about gay people. We just ignored it and kept walking.

Archived