Laptop recommedations

I thought they (duo core) gobble up your battery life though, isn't that Pentium M supposed to be the most efficient and share the best of both worlds (performance and stamina)?

No, the core duo is Intel's most recent laptop chip. It's essentially a Pentium M with two cores. Battery life is similar to Pentium M, but performance is significantly better.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, the core duo is Intel's most recent laptop chip. It's essentially a Pentium M with two cores. Battery life is similar to Pentium M, but performance is significantly better.

has anyone seen specs yet on the new core 2 duos? i hear they use even less power, but i have not seen any real-world tests of the merom systems. is it because they have not started filtering out to the public yet?

Get a HP Pavilion dv1710us. I got mine on sell at Best Buy for $399. In my opnion dv1710 is the most bang for the buck. It's lightwieght, Fast, reliable & the picture quality is fantastic!!Here are the specs.

dv1000chassis_a_400.jpg

Full Specifications

CPU and Memory Processor Brand Intel

Processor Class Celeron M

Processor Speed 1.46 GHz

Installed Memory 512 MB

Maximum Memory 2 GB

Memory Technology DDR II SDRAM

Cache Size 1 MB

Storage Hard Drive Capacity 80 GB

Included Drives DVD

Get a HP Pavilion dv1710us. I got mine on sell at Best Buy for $399. In my opnion dv1710 is the most bang for the buck. It's lightwieght, Fast, reliable & the picture quality is fantastic!!Here are the specs.

dv1000chassis_a_400.jpg

Full Specifications

CPU and Memory Processor Brand Intel

Processor Class Celeron M

Processor Speed 1.46 GHz

Installed Memory 512 MB

Maximum Memory 2 GB

Memory Technology DDR II SDRAM

Cache Size 1 MB

Storage Hard Drive Capacity 80 GB

Included Drives DVD

• 2 months later...

Something just occurred to me. With most computers if you get you cell phone around them you get that annoying network chattering. With this new Sony it doesn't do it. Not one. I lay my Razor V3 and my Ipaq PDA on the keyboard area itself and never get a peep out of it. Just never thought about it until this morning. Very cool. I guess Sony has integrated some sort of High-Pass filtering system. Work the extra few bucks for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anybody ever heard of Acer computer company? Are they any good? Acer Aspire 3100 Labtop.

Acer has been around quite a while. They got in the PC biz making decent quality monitors. And they evolved like all the rest to make a buck. They are the Kia of the PC world, they are decent enough but a little cheesy. Don't give more than $650 for the Acer Aspire 3100, that all there worth new. Now they have a 5100 series that a little better for about 1200 bucks. If you just need a decent cheap laptop, and aren't going to be gaming on it or anything, it should be fine. Just remember Kia and not Corvette.

How you been Marty, have seen or heard from you in a while. Hope all is well with you.

Later Bro

Mark

Acer has been around quite a while. They got in the PC biz making decent quality monitors. And they evolved like all the rest to make a buck. They are the Kia of the PC world, they are decent enough but a little cheesy. Don't give more than $650 for the Acer Aspire 3100, that all there worth new. Now they have a 5100 series that a little better for about 1200 bucks. If you just need a decent cheap laptop, and aren't going to be gaming on it or anything, it should be fine. Just remember Kia and not Corvette.

How you been Marty, have seen or heard from you in a while. Hope all is well with you.

Later Bro

Mark

I been busy cutting up a 90 year old Hackberry tree at my friends house in Tomball that fell in the saterated ground after all that rain that we got last week. My uncle got a Sony Vaio thats one bad mother B) I just got to save money for two more weeks to get the Sony :lol:

i just got my dell1705 for around $1400 off of their website

-17" screen Britelight or whatever they call that thing

-Dual Core 2 Duo T7200 at 2 Ghz

-2 gigs of ram

-80 gig hardrive

-Nvidia GeForce Go 7900 GS

-DVD burner

-and too many USB ports

i am overall impressed with this laptop as i use it for Gaming and School, good price for a decent system, and the Core2Duo allows for some intense multitasking

• 1 month later...
My husband is buying a laptop and we both know nothing about what brand is good or what "extras" to buy.

Dell or HP? I would use it for school work(teacher), downloading music, pictures and basic stuff. Nothing too fancy. I don't want to buy more than I need or basicall get screwed.

have you considered an apple macbook? they are priced similarly to other computers and have the ability to run mac os x (apple's operating system) and windows xp (presumably vista as well?).

might check them out.

I will have to agree that Macbooks are awesome, the only issue is that she requested something that is budget friendly, the only thing is that getting a LEGIT license for MS XP is considerable.

yeah, the new macbooks are awesome and start around $1099 (cheaper if you go refurbished). but the only holdback to run windows would be --as you said-- getting the LEGAL copy of windows.

• 1 month later...

I also advice getting a IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad. Best machine to go "mobile"..!!!

The screen hinges are made from steel, not plastic..!!

Hard drive is protected by a rubber rails to prtect it from shock and vibration.

ThinkPad

The R series is not as well built as the T and X series machines.

I totally agree but they are more expensive, the R series is the best bang for the buck and somethig to consider if you are on a short budget.

If money is no object, I'll advise the 17-inch MacBook Pro (2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) smoking...!!!

• 1 year later...
If money is no object, I'll advise the 17-inch MacBook Pro (2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) smoking...!!!

I just got a 15 inch Macbook Pro. Best purchase of my life. The ability to run Windows and Mac has proved invaluable in just two weeks for productivity.

I just got a 15 inch Macbook Pro. Best purchase of my life. The ability to run Windows and Mac has proved invaluable in just two weeks for productivity.

When I bought my Powerbook back in 2003, I got it with Windows XP and Virtual PC because I was making the transition from a Windows lifestyle to a Mac lifestyle. I think I used Virtual PC six or seven times in the first two months, then never needed it again.

I'm (hopefully -- c'mon small business loan!) getting a MacBook Pro at the end of this week, and I won't be adding Parallels or Windows to it this time. There's just no reason to anymore.

General strategy I use...

If you work for a large company, look at what is available to your company (via their IT department). You'll find that the "good models" cannot be bought from BestBuy, Fry's, CircuitCity, etc... That does not mean they are not available (to you, as a consumer) - it just means you'll have to buy your laptop from an internet source (new off ebay), or even direct from the manufacture...

For example, this line of HP Laptops:

Good stuff, via HP.

...and then their crap models, they dump at Fry's (and BestBuy, and CircuitCity, etc.)

Find out what your company uses (which, where I work, we get the "good stuff") - then compare... Otherwise, you may end up spending more money on junk - that everyone has.

HP is just an example. I don't think Apple is all that... They lost me at "there is no SD card slot for your digital camera card..." Forget that, Steve Jobs, you moron.

General strategy I use...

If you work for a large company, look at what is available to your company (via their IT department). You'll find that the "good models" cannot be bought from BestBuy, Fry's, CircuitCity, etc... That does not mean they are not available (to you, as a consumer) - it just means you'll have to buy your laptop from an internet source (new off ebay), or even direct from the manufacture...

Find out what your company uses (which, where I work, we get the "good stuff") - then compare... Otherwise, you may end up spending more money on junk - that everyone has.

HP is just an example.

Very good idea. Not only do companies have models available to them that regular joes don't, they also often have better pricing. The last place I worked had click-through custom online stores for HP, Dell, CDW, and even Apple that employees could use to buy computers at the corporate rate.

I don't know what the discount was for the HP, Dell, etc... stores but the Apple store discount was about 12% on most things, which would save $479 off the computer I'm looking at. More importantly, with sales tax at 10.25%, getting 12% off was like tax-free shopping.

I don't think Apple is all that... They lost me at "there is no SD card slot for your digital camera card..." Forget that, Steve Jobs, you moron.

It's called a PCMCIA slot, or on the new models an Expresscard34 slot. You put a $5 adapter in it and you can pop in whatever memory card you want.

Archived