Proposed Astrodome Hotel

Subdude

I generally like the new proposal for the Astrodome. As long as it doesn't get demolished, I will ultimately be happy. But I think this is a good idea that fits well with the surrounding Reliant Center uses. Sounds like a win for all -- except possibly downtown Houston/Hilton Americas/George R Brown -- but competition is good for all, and synergy could play well here.

Irving has its hands full also about what to do with Texas Stadium.I think copying what ever Houston does with the Astrodome is what they probably will do,cuz' what Houston has Dallas will have to have.

As for the Dallas area...

This is not a new concept. The Gaylord Texan in Grapevine is an existing facility comparable to the proposed development. Once completed the "AstrodomeHotel" will likely be a much more interesting facility based on its history, but the large atrium convention hotel concept already exists in Dallas (duplicated from Nashville, actually).

As for Texas Stadium...

The City of Irving is currently considering redevelopment options for the entire site - stadium and parking lots. This stadium is widely recognizable and has some memorable sports history (but who doesn't ?), however it is not near as historically or structurally significant as the Astrodome.

Any plans will most likely involve razing the stadium to redevelop the high profile land to better uses. Some of the more "creative" proposals have suggested saving the Texas Stadium roof (perhaps an icon), but most likely this old facility will fade into the past like so many others.

I would not like to see the Astrodome fade into the past.

Thinking about it, this project will be a strongly watched project for North America. Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Montreal, Toronto, Detroit, Dallas, San Fransisco, and every city with an MLB or NFL stadium built before 1994 will probably be considering copying the Astrodome idea into their own.

I'm wondering who will be the first city to publicly mention that they're closely watching the Astrodome project...

The Dome will be a great hotel playground. We have the Rodeo, Texans' games and a whole lotta s**t going on down there. A hotel on the grounds at Reliant won't have any problems with folks wanting to stay there. The deal is, make it nice - very nice - and make it a destination hotel where people want to go rather than simply another Gaylord. And lord are you gay? :lol:

I disagree, any funds committed to rehabbing/remodeling the A'dome to transform into a hotel/convention center would be a bust. The space is more valuable for parking than anything else.

I know, it's a landmark, eighth wonder of the world, etc. Truth of the matter is, H-town's identity crisis couldn't have been overcome unless we had an NFL team again, and Reliant Stadium was born. After all, was Bud Adams really being such a jerkoff when he said a new stadium was necessary?

Knock down the 'Dome. White elephant.

Edited by mm mm good

I disagree, any funds committed to rehabbing/remodeling the A'dome to transform into a hotel/convention center would be a bust. The space is more valuable for parking than anything else.

I know, it's a landmark, eighth wonder of the world, etc. Truth of the matter is, H-town's identity crisis couldn't have been overcome unless we had an NFL team again, and Reliant Stadium was born. After all, was Bud Adams really being such a jerkoff when he said a new stadium was necessary?

Knock down the 'Dome. White elephant.

Couldn't disagree more. Reliant has enough parking. Especially seeing the new renderings, it looks like it's gonna be hot!!!

Check this out. BRAND NEW renderings are added in the video of this report last week on KHOU...

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/kho...e.24b67bc0.html

I'm curious when we're going to see renderings of what the outside of the dome will look like all revamped with that parking garage. What color will it be, and will the rooms have windows looking out the dome?

I am more of an optimist on this Astrodome hotel idea. Half a billion dollars. Gotta be something interesting in it. You have a large convention. Folks are happy in here. The convention is going on a few steps away and then you can tour Reliant Stadium, America's 1st retractable roof stadium. Then you can catch the train to Hermann Park, museums, zoo, downtown .... this will work. Tell me in five years if I am wrong. ;)

It wasn't the first retractable stadium. The Bob in Phoenix and Enron were both before it. Also Sky dome was the very first in Toronto for the Blue Jays and the Argonauts. Reliant was the first NFL retractable though.

I agree with your optimism though. I am too!

OK; the Bob (I am in the dark on this one) but First Retractable roof one - like the Astrodome - for football... but whatever ..... Houston has set the mark for whatever !

Skydome ... :D and Sooner... I am not from here, but got to Houston as fast as I could. :P:P

Edited by houstonfella

• 1 month later...
I am more of an optimist on this Astrodome hotel idea. Half a billion dollars. Gotta be something interesting in it. You have a large convention. Folks are happy in here. The convention is going on a few steps away and then you can tour Reliant Stadium, America's 1st retractable roof stadium. Then you can catch the train to Hermann Park, museums, zoo, downtown .... this will work. Tell me in five years if I am wrong. ;)

Anything new on this project? When did they say we should expect another update/announcement?

• 4 weeks later...
OK; the Bob (I am in the dark on this one) but First Retractable roof one - like the Astrodome - for football... but whatever ..... Houston has set the mark for whatever !

Skydome ... :D and Sooner... I am not from here, but got to Houston as fast as I could. :P:P

Nope, you guys got it all wrong.

The first retractable-roofed stadium built EVER was Stade Olimpique (Olympic Stadium) in Montreal, which opend in 1976

Th stadium was marked with a giant tower that soared over 200 feet over the stadium and was supposed to pick up the fabric roof much like an umbrella, in a folding motion that seemd a far-fetched idea from the start. From the moment it was built, it gave problems. It retracted once in a test before the 1976 Olympic Games, but then never opened for the Games themselves due to sealing problems with the roof. Over the next 12 years, it opened very rarely. In the 1988 season, the whole roof was completely removed, making Olympic Stadium and outdoor facility. The next year, a fixed roof was constructed, thus making it a domed stadium for good.

Nope, you guys got it all wrong.

The first retractable-roofed stadium built EVER was Stade Olimpique (Olympic Stadium) in Montreal, which opend in 1976

Th stadium was marked with a giant tower that soared over 200 feet over the stadium and was supposed to pick up the fabric roof much like an umbrella, in a folding motion that seemd a far-fetched idea from the start. From the moment it was built, it gave problems. It retracted once in a test before the 1976 Olympic Games, but then never opened for the Games themselves due to sealing problems with the roof. Over the next 12 years, it opened very rarely. In the 1988 season, the whole roof was completely removed, making Olympic Stadium and outdoor facility. The next year, a fixed roof was constructed, thus making it a domed stadium for good.

Very interesting, but you got some facts wrong. The tower and roof were not even built in time for the Olympics. The roof that was intended to be retractable was not completed until 1987. It didn't work so it remained permanently closed. In 1998, the "retractable" roof was replaced with a permanent "non-retractable roof.

In any event, I think it's fair to say that the first "attempt" to build a retractable roofed stadium was Stade Olimpique. But since it failed, I don't think it's fair or accurate to call it the first retractable-roofed stadium.

• 2 weeks later...
In the past i've pasted links to the chron and they disappear fairly rapidly. That is why i posted the text instead.

That's because the articles are archived.

Just post a small smidgen of the article text and the title. We can search for the new article on the archives. If you want, you can replace "new story" article URLs with archive URLs.

I think Bob McNair prefers the surface lot for tailgate party purposes. I can't see myself grilling BBQ in a parking garage:)

You know what? Bob McNair has about as much leverage with his sorry football team as Bud Adams. He needs to be real quiet. Yes, I'm a Texans fan, and season ticketholder, but come on. It isn't all about Bob any more. Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo has a big stake in this entire thing as well. Personally, I would love to see the Dome renovated into a big inside hotel venue. Then when the rodeo people come to town, they would have a great place to stay in the park. Not to mention the dozens of other things that go on at Reliant Center that require people to stay in hotels. Think about it. There is not a nice hotel anywhere down there. Period. Plus, when speaking of nearly half a billion dollars going into this, surely they plan for renovations inside and out, plus greenery and aesthetics.

• 1 month later...
Has there been any word on the status of the Astrodome hotel? It seems odd when a project of this scope just drops off the radar for months.

I agree. It's strange not to hear much about this project since its announcement. Normally I would say,"Pffft, just another dead Houston announcement." However, in this case I should say "Pffft, thank God this just might be dead after conscientious thought after all." I'm sure we'll all be surprised...or just let down. Houston, rock!

Source please? My understanding is that the Colosseum had a retractable awning shading the specatators. Not quite the same as a retractable roof.

Well back then it would be considered a retractable roof. Its not like they had giant lights to provide the stadium with artificial light, so they kept the big hole in the middle to allow sunlight to be on the center 'field'.

Well back then it would be considered a retractable roof. Its not like they had giant lights to provide the stadium with artificial light, so they kept the big hole in the middle to allow sunlight to be on the center 'field'.

Nice try, but it's either a roof or it's not a roof. If it's not a roof, it cannot, by definition, be a retractable roof. Awnings are not roofs, whether they happen to be retractable or not.

• 2 weeks later...
July 18, 2006, 1:04AM

Dome hotel plan includes 610 exit

Texans officials have 'aesthetic concerns' about a proposed ramp

By BILL MURPHY

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

A $450 million plan to reinvent the Reliant Astrodome as a luxury convention hotel includes a parking garage and new exit from Loop 610 to keep the facility from interfering with Texans games and performances of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.

The 2,100-space, multistory parking garage would wrap around two-thirds of the Astrodome and markedly change the appearance of the facility once dubbed the Eighth Wonder of the World.

Astrodome Redevelopment Corp., a consortium proposing the development, favors building a ramp from the Loop 610 feeder road to the Dome.

But Texans officials so far have balked at the proposed ramp, saying they have "aesthetic concerns" about its effect on the appearance of Reliant Park, county-hired consultants said in a report.

"I really believe we will be able to resolve all these issues," said Scott Hanson, president of Astrodome Redevelopment.

A ramp would cost $5 million to $10 million, while the alternate proposal, a tunnel from the Loop feeder road, likely would cost $10 million to $15 million, Hanson said.

Astrodome Redevelopment proposes to build a 1,200-room, upscale hotel, restaurants, nightclubs, retail stores and possibly performance stages. The tentative theme is Best of Texas, re-creating Texas courthouses and town squares.

Astrodome Redevelopment has little choice but to address the concerns of the Texans and the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. Their contracts with Harris County, which owns Reliant Park, allow them to demand that the Astrodome cease operations when rodeo season arrives or when the Texans play at home.

The rodeo will look to receive a percentage of revenues from at least some convention hotel operations, including the hotel, restaurants and many, if not all, retail stores, said Leroy Shafer, the rodeo's chief operating officer. "It is my assumption that since we have the ability to keep them in the dark, that this will happen," he said.

Such an arrangement isn't unprecedented for Reliant Park tenants. For example, the rodeo now gets a percentage of revenues from Aramark, which holds the concession contract at Reliant Park.

The Harris County Sports & Convention Corp., the county entity that oversees Reliant Park, and Astrodome Redevelopment are expected Wednesday to sign an agreement, called a letter of intent, that spells out each side's willingness to move forward with the project.

It is expected to say that the county is giving Astrodome Redevelopment six months to obtain financing and seven months to reach pacts on issues including parking, the hotel's ramp or tunnel entrance and profit-sharing.

Astrodome Redevelopment needs the letter to obtain financing. It will be given a year from the time the letter of intent is signed to reach a lease agreement with the Sports and Convention Corp.

The letter of intent "will be a major, major milestone," said Willie Loston, director of the Sports & Convention Corp.

There are 8,500 parking spaces at Reliant Park and an additional 17,500 across Kirby and in other county-owned lots. The Texans and the Houston Rodeo opposed sacrificing any parking to the hotel, so Astrodome Redevelopment added the parking garage to its concept.

The letter of intent says Astrodome Redevelopment would lease the Dome from the county for 50 years with an option to extend it another 20 years.

Astrodome Redevelopment would pay $2.5 million in rent the first year the hotel opens. Rent would rise 3 percent annually. The company also would pay the Sports & Convention Corp. 2 percent to 3 percent of its gross revenues.

The hotel would be modeled on Gaylord convention hotels in Grapevine, Nashville, Tenn., and Orlando, Fla. Senate Hospitality, a Nashville-based company that includes former Gaylord executives, would operate the Dome hotel. Gaylord hotels cater to groups that want hotels, restaurants, meeting rooms and convention halls under one roof.

Houston already has a convention hotel, the city-owned Hilton Americas next to the George R. Brown Convention Center. Unlike the Hilton Americas, the Dome hotel would imitate the Gaylord concept and try to attract groups looking for a self-contained facility.

"Prior to seeing the Gaylord Texan (in Grapevine), I thought it was a dumb idea," Shafer said. "After we visited the Gaylord Texan, we began to see it is a different model. But personally, I still have concerns that it will work."

Why is any of this being considered for the Astrodome? It's the ASTRODOME, "The Eighth Wonder of the World". The FIRST of its kind, a HISTORICAL landmark of Houston! It's our claim to fame. It baffles my mind that anyone ever considered demolishing it or even altering it. I dont like the hotel plans.