Proposed Astrodome Hotel

Subdude

How about Texas 1550?

We could make the interior look like a Karankawa campground, complete with swarms of mosquitos and dog-eating giants covered in alligator grease. :lol:

Come to think of it, the way things are going lately, Texas 2050 may not look too different than Texas 1550. :o:o:o

Well if there are mosquitos in 2050, that means water, PRAISE JESUS!

Ugh. If the Gaylord Texas is a celebration, count me out. That looks like exactly the kind of schloky crap that goes over with the big hairs in Dallas or Nashville, but would die anywhere else. Texas queso is still cheesy.

Fame City called -- they want their idea back.

Since when was Fame City a hotel?

Guest danax
Don't forget about Gulfgate. I don't ever drive it in traffic, but it's probably a 6 minute drive without traffic. Maybe 10 with traffic.

Gulfgate's not a mall though, just an overblown strip center. I can't see too many conventioneers shopping there. Niche's uncle maybe. He would love Marshalls. Who cares if one sleeve is longer than the other.

As goofy as we all know the stereotypical Texas theme is to those of us who really live here, I hope the deal flies because it's better than tearing the place down and it fills our theme park vacuum in a minor way too.

Plus it could spark more retail in that area, which is still transitional "dead-zone".

Gulfgate's not a mall though, just an overblown strip center. I can't see too many conventioneers shopping there. Niche's uncle maybe. He would love Marshalls. Who cares if one sleeve is longer than the other.

As goofy as we all know the stereotypical Texas theme is to those of us who really live here, I hope the deal flies because it's better than tearing the place down and it fills our theme park vacuum in a minor way too.

Plus it could spark more retail in that area, which is still transitional "dead-zone".

Also, why couldn't the Fiesta strip center across from Reliant Park be converted into something similar to Meyerland?

So again it's City vs. Harris Co. at the expense of tax payers.

R U referring to Reliant vs. GRB? I thought it would be a winner to taxpayers, since the Dome is currently causing a debt to taxpayers. If both start to profit for the city and the Dome pays itself off, how do we lose?

So again it's City vs. Harris Co. at the expense of tax payers.

Bingo. Give the man a prize.

BTW, when I travel, I really don't do so to shop at a mall or Big Box Plaza. I travel for the different cultural and arts venues available. If conventioneers bring their spouses, they may want to go to the Galleria or Pavillions.

But I'm with danax-unless I'ma havin' a hankerin' fer a trip to Marshall's with Uncle Cletus-Gulfgate wouldn't be on my list.

Just fill the place up with the usual crap, put a big rotating sign on top thats says Crap-Iz-Us and call it a day.

Edited by nmainguy

From the only drawing that we have of the hotel, the interior layout does not in any way look like the Gaylord Texan and if anyone has been out to Las Vegas lately, the Astrodome hotel would not be any different than that of say a New York NY or of a Venetian Hotel or any of the other faux Las hotels...It would be nice if they could do a recreation in detail of the 1800's perhaps even better than what's offered in the Woodlands Townsquare and something better than molded rock formations along a riverwalk but again we're talking about today's construction. My idea to further the Astrodome hotel would be to , of course bury those ugly transformers on the east side of the building and connect the dome with a walkway and tramway that would be partially covered with an arched roof and landscaped both with shade trees and palm trees that would go to the Metro train station to quickly link the hotel with the rest of the city.

while landscaping would be nice, I figure an airport style moving sidewalk in a relatively enclosed area, along with an a conventional sidewalk with benches would probably be ideal for moving large amounts of people.

But that's only my opinion.

I think some people trip too much, I say go for it, even if it wnt look ne thing like the Old Dome. I would still like to take my kids up there one day and say I remember going to Astros & Oilers games there and not to mention the HOUSTON LS&R. I can agree maybe not the best theme,(It seems fine to me especially after seeing the Gaylord photos) but why tear it down when we are still paying off the last expansion.

Edited by T 2 THA C

but why tear it down when we are still paying off the last expansion.

Throwing good money after bad?

The fact that money was misspent in the 1990s to renovate the Dome doesn't justify this proposal one way or another. Sunk costs are irrelevant to a new investment decision.

when I travel, I really don't do so to shop at a mall or Big Box Plaza. I travel for the different cultural and arts venues available.

you really DON'T DO but you travel for cultural and art venues available? Sounds like a conflict to me.

The fact that money was misspent in the 1990s to renovate the Dome doesn't justify this proposal one way or another. Sunk costs are irrelevant to a new investment decision.

I haven't seen any projected numbers as to how much the Astrodome Hotel is expected to make in revenue, so I can't debate that. IF this is a profitable project, I say we go for it. How much money would we waste by imploding the Dome? And what revenue would we make on the former Astrodome site if it were no longer there? Do U expect us to make money on a parking space? That's what downtown is for :)

Edited by DJ V Lawrence

I haven't seen any projected numbers as to how much the Astrodome Hotel is expected to make in revenue, so I can't debate that. IF this is a profitable project, I say we go for it. How much money would we waste by imploding the Dome? And what revenue would we make on the former Astrodome site if it were no longer there? Do U expect us to make money on a parking space? That's what downtown is for :)

The problem that Harris County has with the Dome is that it costs something like $50,000/month to maintain. So relative to what it costs now, blowing it up and replacing it with paid parking would make money.

The problem that Harris County has with the Dome is that it costs something like $50,000/month to maintain. So relative to what it costs now, blowing it up and replacing it with paid parking would make money.

How much in debt is the Dome? And how would a parking spot be more profit and pride for Houston than an elaborate hotel?

I don't know how much in debt remains on the Dome renovations. Quite a bit, probably, since it was probably financed with 20-30 year bonds.

The parking spots yield $7 or whatnot per event. The hotel will cost bazillions to build out, and it's an open question as to whether the concept even makes sense. I'm still not sold on the idea that a resort-style hotel sitting in the middle of a parking lot, surrounded by a giant parking garage, far away from decent entertainment or shopping, is a concept that will fly. I'm thinking elephants don't come much whiter than this.

I don't know how much in debt remains on the Dome renovations. Quite a bit, probably, since it was probably financed with 20-30 year bonds.

The parking spots yield $7 or whatnot per event. The hotel will cost bazillions to build out, and it's an open question as to whether the concept even makes sense. I'm still not sold on the idea that a resort-style hotel sitting in the middle of a parking lot, surrounded by a giant parking garage, far away from decent entertainment or shopping, is a concept that will fly. I'm thinking elephants don't come much whiter than this.

The way the Astrodome is supposed to be configured, the Dome itself would be the entertainment. It would make Reliant Park a self-sufficient convention playground. If the Astroworld plot is developed into an attraction, we'll have two stronger convention areas in Houston than before. I say the Astrodome's worth the experiment. It's an icon. Probably the most famous building in Houston.

It's an icon. Probably the most famous building in Houston.

I agree, but the need to introduce some outside landscaping with the project and some trees.

I have to agree with the parking lot overwhelming the entire site. It is just too much surface lots.

They should build 2 garages and either side and wreck out the surface lot for some much needed greenery.

I agree, but the need to introduce some outside landscaping with the project and some trees.

I have to agree with the parking lot overwhelming the entire site. It is just too much surface lots.

They should build 2 garages and either side and wreck out the surface lot for some much needed greenery.

I think Bob McNair prefers the surface lot for tailgate party purposes. I can't see myself grilling BBQ in a parking garage:)

I think it dose justify more than just tearing it down. At least redevoloping gives it a CHANCE to have an economic impact, then spending money anyways just to demolish it. And why complain about the RO theater and not save the dome albeit it wnt look the same.

Edited by T 2 THA C

I think it dose justify more than just tearing it down. At least redevoloping gives it a CHANCE to have an economic impact, then spending money anyways just to demolish it. And why complain about the RO theater and not save the dome albeit it wnt look the same.

Those are both good points.

If financing can be arranged and the County comes out ahead financially, then why would anyone want to nix the project? The worst that can happen is that investors (largely from outside of Houston) lose their money, but end up creating hundreds or thousands of jobs in the process of converting the dome and running the hotel/retail operations. Even if it closes down a year after it is completed, the net effect will be that wealth is transferred from investors located throughout the world to the Houstonians that build it out.

The way the Astrodome is supposed to be configured, the Dome itself would be the entertainment. It would make Reliant Park a self-sufficient convention playground. If the Astroworld plot is developed into an attraction, we'll have two stronger convention areas in Houston than before. I say the Astrodome's worth the experiment. It's an icon. Probably the most famous building in Houston.

Yes. If we are to keep the Astrodome, lets use it more (even if it is an experiment). A convention hotel in the Reliant complex has plenty of potential for success. You never know if it would be convenient for whatever may be constructed on Astroworlds plot. Placing a hotel in the Astrodome would :rolleyes: make Reliant park more self-sufficient and may even ease some congestion along 610 during major events (i said SOME).

Yes. If we are to keep the Astrodome, lets use it more (even if it is an experiment). A convention hotel in the Reliant complex has plenty of potential for success. You never know if it would be convenient for whatever may be constructed on Astroworlds plot. Placing a hotel in the Astrodome would :rolleyes: make Reliant park more self-sufficient and may even ease some congestion along 610 during major events (i said SOME).

probably more apartments :(

yeah, so, you got a problem with that? :P

fyi - tcr is building upscale apartments on the nw corner of murworth and main; where the old surrey house and grants palm court inn use to be. they paid about $35 psf and will get +/- $1.45 psf in rent.

Something innovative would be nice. I could care less what they paid or what they will get in rents.

I have a friend that lives in AMLI midtown now and is having a leak in his bedroom from the fake stucco construction. These were consdiered upscale too and rents aren't cheap either. The only thing that is cheap is their construction. Midtown needs quality.