Proposed Astrodome Hotel

Subdude

Yo, what's the closest mall to Reliant Park. If there's none close by, would a mall or a Houston Pavllions-style development be successful at the old Astroworld site, and wouldn't that strengthen Reliant Park's name even more (given the Astrodome Hotel goes as planned)?

The mall that is the closest the astrodomain is Meyerland, Galleria mall, and The Village. When the pavillions are built (any update there?) they will have easy access to it from the rail.

in heavy traffic when they're let out, the drive time is 10, 25-30, and 20 minutes respectively, so something nearby at the dome would probably fairly nice if they have the time. Otherwise, they just run to the hotels, strip bars, or the airport directly from the convention.

The mall that is the closest the astrodomain is Meyerland, Galleria mall, and The Village. When the pavillions are built (any update there?) they will have easy access to it from the rail.

in heavy traffic when they're let out, the drive time is 10, 25-30, and 20 minutes respectively, so something nearby at the dome would probably fairly nice if they have the time. Otherwise, they just run to the hotels, strip bars, or the airport directly from the convention.

Don't forget about Gulfgate. I don't ever drive it in traffic, but it's probably a 6 minute drive without traffic. Maybe 10 with traffic.

Don't forget about Gulfgate. I don't ever drive it in traffic, but it's probably a 6 minute drive without traffic. Maybe 10 with traffic.

Good point OTC. Also the Pearland shopping areas off of 288 are fairly close as well probably 15 mins.

That sounds about right, but I would suspect more like 10-20. The traffic along the south loop towards I-45 has been heavier than usual at about 4-6pm. But usually conventioneers will leave at about 4 if they think they can get away with it, sooner if no one is watching.

Good point OTC. Also the Pearland shopping areas off of 288 are fairly close as well probably 15 mins.

It's been awhile since I've driven from Reliant to Pearland, but every time I have done so, it's been a major hassle and I honestly wouldn't recommend it, it's relatively isolated and most of them are at the mercy of public transportation.

To me, I'd usually put Gulfgate off the table unless they're looking for "basics" and even then, I'd recommend the meyerland.

That sounds about right, but I would suspect more like 10-20. The traffic along the south loop towards I-45 has been heavier than usual at about 4-6pm. But usually conventioneers will leave at about 4 if they think they can get away with it, sooner if no one is watching.

It's been awhile since I've driven from Reliant to Pearland, but every time I have done so, it's been a major hassle and I honestly wouldn't recommend it, it's relatively isolated and most of them are at the mercy of public transportation.

To me, I'd usually put Gulfgate off the table unless they're looking for "basics" and even then, I'd recommend the meyerland.

I think Timmy's estimate is more accurate. There's no way it is 20 mins to Gulfgate from the Dome. And going from Reliant to Astrodome isn't a major hastle. I not sure about your relatively isolated comment either. Most if not all of the stores are now in the 288 and 518 area with a new mall in the works as well. I don't think it can be discounted.

...so there's no place within walking distance for conventioneers to go anymore if they were to have one at Reliant Park and stay at the new Astrodome hotel once it opens? In my opinion, that still gives GRB the major advantage. At least Astroworld was there before.

Most tourists don't know off-hand how to get to Galleria, Gulfgate, or Meyerland from Reliant Park. Would Reliant Park become just as big a convention site as GRB if the old Astroworld site became a major tourist draw again?

...so there's no place within walking distance for conventioneers to go anymore if they were to have one at Reliant Park and stay at the new Astrodome hotel once it opens? In my opinion, that still gives GRB the major advantage. At least Astroworld was there before.

Most tourists don't know off-hand how to get to Galleria, Gulfgate, or Meyerland from Reliant Park. Would Reliant Park become just as big a convention site as GRB if the old Astroworld site became a major tourist draw again?

Well GRB doesn't have easy access to shopping either. By the time the convention is over at the end of the day, Foley's is closed as are most other Downtown stores. What the Astrodome project has over GRB is that they want to include entertainment type activities inside the dome therefore people won't have to leave the confines of the dome. They'll only have to leave their hotel room.

Well GRB doesn't have easy access to shopping either. By the time the convention is over at the end of the day, Foley's is closed as are most other Downtown stores. What the Astrodome project has over GRB is that they want to include entertainment type activities inside the dome therefore people won't have to leave the confines of the dome. They'll only have to leave their hotel room.

Totally true, but by the time Astrodome Hotel opens, the Downtown Park and Houston Pavillions will have opened as well. As nice as the dome is, chances are that some conventioneers will want to see the outside a little bit as well as the badass Astrodome middle.

Biggest concern to me is Reliant Center. Reliant Stadium will already be a winner with this hotel.

Is the reliant arena used for anything since the new "center" has been constructed? If not, then they could probably use it for either seasonable/convention business or they an just tear it down for parking since they're always bitching about parking there.

Totally true, but by the time Astrodome Hotel opens, the Downtown Park and Houston Pavillions will have opened as well. As nice as the dome is, chances are that some conventioneers will want to see the outside a little bit as well as the badass Astrodome middle.

Biggest concern to me is Reliant Center. Reliant Stadium will already be a winner with this hotel.

I just hope the Pavillions works well, unlike Bayou Place. It just quite never made it off the ground in my opinion.

Why is Reliant Center a concern? That is where the conventions are happening.

The Pavilions is a much different animal than Bayou Place.

Bayou Place is a conversion of an old space. It's got a funky location that feels somewhat disconnected from most of downtown. The major hotels aren't well situated to the complex either and it is fenced in by what was at the time a crappy looking bayou, an elevated highway, and the Memorial Parkway ramps.

The Pavilions will be MUCH MUCH larger and much more visible. It will be connected to the light rail and Main Street Square/Foley's. It's closer to the major office developments as well as the new 1200 room Hilton and the Marriott Courtyard and Residence Inn. Plus, it will have condos in the developments as well as in the nearby Four Seasons, Commerce Towers, and Capitol Lofts. Don't forget the nearby apartments at the Humble Tower, new Kirby Bldg, and the Houston House either.

I just hope the Pavillions works well, unlike Bayou Place. It just quite never made it off the ground in my opinion.

Why is Reliant Center a concern? That is where the conventions are happening.

Reliant Center is the major convention center in Reliant Park, and with the convention space that Reliant Park has to offer, that area has the potential to change from a big to a huge profit for H-Town. It's just cool to see that area improving and offering more every few years.

I recently visited the Mall of America in Minneapolis for the first time. Although I'm not really a mall person, I was impressed by the simplicity of the 3 layer giant square mall design with the amusement park in the middle. There seemed to be something for everyone to see there. I think a Mall of America type developement would be perfect right across the Astrodome Hotel where AstroWorld was. Having an air conditioned small amusement park, some family friendly stores, and restraunts right across the old AstroWorld bridge would be such a convienient, major draw for tourist. It could even have its own light rail station. There are no other malls in the immediate area. Pearland and the southern suburbs are beginning to take off so the AstroWorld sight would be the PERFECT location.

Plus, I love the idea of building some sort of small tribute to AstroWorld on the very sight it once stood.

Believe it or not AstroWorld was a decent park long, long ago.

The Pavilions is a much different animal than Bayou Place.

Bayou Place is a conversion of an old space. It's got a funky location that feels somewhat disconnected from most of downtown. The major hotels aren't well situated to the complex either and it is fenced in by what was at the time a crappy looking bayou, an elevated highway, and the Memorial Parkway ramps.

The Pavilions will be MUCH MUCH larger and much more visible. It will be connected to the light rail and Main Street Square/Foley's. It's closer to the major office developments as well as the new 1200 room Hilton and the Marriott Courtyard and Residence Inn. Plus, it will have condos in the developments as well as in the nearby Four Seasons, Commerce Towers, and Capitol Lofts. Don't forget the nearby apartments at the Humble Tower, new Kirby Bldg, and the Houston House either.

But if it has the same boring stuff, it won't take off either. Something successful will draw people in. Bayou Place just never did that. They moved the Hard Rock there as an attraction but I've only been there once since it moved. Just not worth the hastle.

I don't see Bayou Place as disconnected. At least it is in theatre district so theoretically you COULD get business. Yes it is farther from the hotels you mentioned but that is the only disconnection. If there were better businesses there that would help in my opinion.

Geeze Louise!

How can you say it will have the same boring stuff?

Last time I checked, the only announcements for the Pavilions were a very large House of Blues with a concert hall and a Lucky Strike Bowling Alley. Neither of these things are in Bayou Place and neither of these things are boring.

Now, a Hard Rock Cafe is boring unless you are from Itta Bena, Mississippi!

I hadn't heard of this project before. It looks just like the Gaylord Texan up here, which has been a great success so far so I'm sure it'd be the same down there.

SNIP ... does anyone know if the Nashville and Texas hotels have, or are close to, golf courses or other attractions?

There are 2 nearby golf courses but there is always the lake. I stayed there with my wife a while back when our Dallas apartment was being painted and we walked down to the lake and rented a pair of jet skis and had a fun time out on the water.

Some pics from our visit:

gaylord_front.jpg

gaylord_5.jpg

gaylord_4.jpg

gaylord_1.jpg

gaylord_2.jpg

gaylord_3.jpg

gaylord_panorama.jpg

Edited by JasonDFW

I feel that the Astrodome hotel should be done in a historical motif but only if that means recreating the the effect in detail and not creating a pseudo modern historical type building but we all know that that means money. Perhaps the contributors to this thread need to look at what can and cannot work for an interior ex sports complex and what people can relate to as visitors to a hotel if they keep Las Vegas in mind. Having seen all the interiors in Las Vegas Hotels on the strip I would say that the problem of deciding on a motif for the Astrodome hotel can be compared to what works in a large enclosed hotel in Las Vegas. You decide....everyone has their favorite interior....however I favor the historical motif as I enjoy victorian buildings or those period buildings from the 1800's as I have found them to be the most human oriented and warm type building that I would want to walk around or have business in. I think that the riverwalk theme is something we all love and if it looks like a replica of something in the past ...remember that all architecture is of the past...even those buildings just built last year....It's just that some architectural forms retain their relevancy forever while others ...especially the modern lose their appeal in only a couple of decades....

someone mentioned how the old crossover on 610 might be able to be utilized.

I was driving past the dome this afternoon (more like parked next to it) and realized that the clover leaf idea has some merit, but on a limited basis.

Why can't it be used exclusively for those wishing to go to 'dome or the domain (if constructed as a hotel). That would give them a closer parking spot as well as offering an easier way in and out during festivities so it can operate year round.

I know they used to have the trams go over it, so I know it can hold at least 10 vehicles at a time, but is there a posted weight limit that would limit the amount of automobiles.

I hadn't heard of this project before. It looks just like the Gaylord Texan up here, which has been a great success so far so I'm sure it'd be the same down there.

There are 2 nearby golf courses but there is always the lake. I stayed there with my wife a while back when our Dallas apartment was being painted and we walked down to the lake and rented a pair of jet skis and had a fun time out on the water.

Thanks for the pics Jason.

At first I was a bit skeptical about how it might turn out. Their past work doesn't look half bad. I would really like to see the old dome take on a new life.....even if a bit faux..... it's something else for people to see and do while letting the dome live on.

PS

welcome to HAIF cosmo (last name wouldn't happen to be Kramer? :D )

That's a hard call to make. Since it opened, Gaylord Texan has been a very successful convention & meeting destination as well as an excursion for area residents. During this time, bookings at the Dallas Convention Center have seen healthy growth as well. The Conv Ctr got a new head honcho and his efforts/innovations have been widely praised. So, any of Dallas Conv Ctr business which moved to Gaylord Texan was replaced.

The Gaylord Texan facility is credited with attracting events for which no Metroplex destination would have been a consideration. Grapevine Lake is a small and pleasant setting, lots of trees and a few hills. It's looking like the area is going to end up with a Lake Resort branding signature. Gaylord Texan is expanding as a consumer destination (although not a mall like the Gaylord mega-complex outside Nashville) and another resort-styled destination hotel has been approved on the lakefront. All things considered, the Gaylord Texan and future Grapevine Lake facilities have expanded consideration of the Metroplex among convention & meeting planners.

If someone could put that deal together, it would probably be a huge success. (daydream: Could the Astrodome ceiling be used as a giant projection screen?) Developing a consumer oriented retail, dining and entertainment complex/promenade directly linking the New Astrodome with the New Stadium would be fantastic.

A somewhat similar situation exists in Arlington, and a billion+ dollar mixed-use consumer development will connect the baseball stadium, new football stadium and amusement park - and it's named Glorypark. What was promised to the folks of Arlington when they agreed to help pay for the baseball stadium is finally making good - now that the folks of Arlington have agreed to help pay for an even more expensive football stadium. Although $800 million in highway improvements are coming to that part of Arlington and should be completed before the Cowboys opening day, the connectivity convenience of off-grade rail service to the destination remains a challenge.

In Atlanta, another similar setting has been very successful for ten years. Centienniel Olympic Park provides the cohesive setting (making up for the lack of a 'masterplan') uniting the baseketball/hockey stadium, football stadium, convention facilities, hotels and significant tourist destinations with the ebb & flow of the city.

Put a resort hotel atmosphere inside the Astrodome (I love the idea) and build mixed-use consumer oriented direct connection to the football stadium and convention facilities. It'll work.

Thanks for the pics Jason.

At first I was a bit skeptical about how it might turn out. Their past work doesn't look half bad. I would really like to see the old dome take on a new life.....even if a bit faux..... it's something else for people to see and do while letting the dome live on.

PS

welcome to HAIF cosmo (last name wouldn't happen to be Kramer? :D )

that's my dogs name but I like it better than mine for this thread :D

Geeze Louise!

How can you say it will have the same boring stuff?

Last time I checked, the only announcements for the Pavilions were a very large House of Blues with a concert hall and a Lucky Strike Bowling Alley. Neither of these things are in Bayou Place and neither of these things are boring.

Now, a Hard Rock Cafe is boring unless you are from Itta Bena, Mississippi!

I said IF it has the same boring stuff. I knew about the House of Blues. A bowling alley? we'll see how that works. They better have a good bar. Oh wait, when Warren's is the competition i doubt it. Remember the Hard Rock was supposed to be exciting too.

...especially the modern lose their appeal in only a couple of decades....

I seem to recall that there were many decades during which, throughout major metropolitan areas, conflagrations of Victorian-era homes were knocked down in droves and ghettoized. Doesn't seem like they'd have too much appeal for that to ever have taken place.

Real estate goes through cycles. There is no one style that is just perfect. There is no stability in society's taste. There are no constants; the world is forever at the cusp of the next paradigm shift.

Some pics from our visit:

gaylord_front.jpg

gaylord_5.jpg

gaylord_4.jpg

gaylord_1.jpg

gaylord_2.jpg

gaylord_3.jpg

gaylord_panorama.jpg

Wow. I think my whole understanding of what this state is about just shifted. NO other state would produce something like this to celebrate itself. I honestly don't know whether this is amazing or scary. I'm just in awe.

Wow. I think my whole understanding of what this state is about just shifted. NO other state would produce something like this to celebrate itself. I honestly don't know whether this is amazing or scary. I'm just in awe.

Texas is one of the few places in the country where we don't just celebrate a city (a la' new york) but our entire state.

I've met people from one of the 'Stans and they immediately recognized the Texas flag. Same thing with Italians and such.

Gee, do you think we brag about our state? :)

Those JasonDFW pix got me fired up. I got the same question as Trae: How much bigger will the Astrodome be compared to Gaylord Texan?

Also, if Gaylord Texan already did the historical Texas look, shouldn't the Astrodome try something different like Texas 2050 or something?

Those JasonDFW pix got me fired up. I got the same question as Trae: How much bigger will the Astrodome be compared to Gaylord Texan?

Also, if Gaylord Texan already did the historical Texas look, shouldn't the Astrodome try something different like Texas 2050 or something?

How about Texas 1550?

We could make the interior look like a Karankawa campground, complete with swarms of mosquitos and dog-eating giants covered in alligator grease. :lol:

Come to think of it, the way things are going lately, Texas 2050 may not look too different than Texas 1550. :o:o:o

Edited by Original Timmy Chan's