Proposed Astrodome Hotel

Subdude

As for Market Square, blah. I love the place and the potential and think LaCarafe, Warrens, and Market Sq Grill are some of the best places in Houston. Of course, the rest of the square is surrounded by surface parking, a massive parking garage, and homeless folks camped out all day. Sounds almost like what we're planning for the Dome minus the riff raff.

The homeless can be good people too. There were a couple of Market Square homeless that even i know their names. Tyrone and Ms. Patty were always a riot. He'd bring brand new stuff for sale. I don't know where he got em, but I know i made several purchases. Ms. Patty would just beg for money. i remember she asked a Warren's regular for a dollar. he told her he only had a $20. she said..that's ok I have change. then she proceeded to take out a wad of cash! don't know what happened to Tyrone but ms. Patty when home to Mississippi. she even writes a bartender to keep up to date on the happenings.

H-Town Man-

My point wasn't that the Gulf Coast region lacks courthouses, county seats, or even grassy squares. Of course towns have these things.

Actually, that was your point. You said that the town square was a North Texas thing, and asked where in the Gulf Coast region could it be found, besides new master-planned communities.

That said, every town you listed also has big box stores, strip malls, and highways that bypass the town center. I have been to every town you listed minus Halletsville and Round Top. None of them have active, vibrant courthouse squares outside of maybe the one weekend a year when a parade rolls through town.
You have obviously NOT been to all of them if you think they have big box stores, strip malls, and highways that bypass the town. I can think of several on that list that do not have any of those... and several, notably La Grange, that are quite vibrant.
I don't think disdain for the viability of a $450 million faux courthouse square, built inside a former domed stadium, indicates deeply held prejudice against rural Texas. It merely indicates an opinion that the proposal lacks originality and style, and further, that it is a poor reuse of the property. It may also indicate a preference for projects that show Houston as a more modern and advanced city, rather than a recreation of something that already exists, as you state, a short drive away.

However, if you wish to interperate our less than enthusiastic endorsement of "Rednecks Under Glass" as some sort of subliminal dislike for empty storefronts surrounding an overbuilt courthouse, I suppose you are entitled.

There was a lot more to the disdain on this thread than simply the project's viability, as is obvious to anyone who does not share this disdain.

Rednecks, huh? So we're down to name-calling. No Redscare, you're not prejudiced at all. You're the very picture of pleasantness.

That is true (and annoying), I think after 7 days it becomes a dead link and you have to sign up for something, but either way, the "editor" might have to take it off eventually. I was just checking to see if you did know.

I was aware and will continue to do the same for other short-lived links.

When did I not respect Latinos or treat them with dignity? When did I say that mine was the only Texas heritage?

My response was to a perceived attack on my own heritage. I think, if you read over these posts, you will see that my heritage was the one attacked, and not vice versa.

Point taken, I can see your angle. However, you directly pointed to the Latino community as being the people who prefer the urban lifestyle (and if they dont like it they can leave). There is something implied there because, obviously, Latinos are not the only group that appreciates an urban lifestyle. Not by far. Yet they were the only ones singled out by your comment. This leads me to believe that there is a different force behind the comment that has less to do with the urban lifestyle.

Edited by 2112

Point taken, I can see your angle. However, you directly pointed to the Latino community as being the people who prefer the urban lifestyle (and if they dont like it they can leave). There is something implied there because, obviously, Latinos are not the only group that appreciates an urban lifestyle. Not by far. Yet they were the only ones singled out by your comment. This leads me to believe that there is a different force behind the comment that has less to do with the urban lifestyle.

I understand how you thought what you thought, and I apologize for the unclarity. I don't think Latinos are the only group that appreciates the urban lifestyle. I have, however, noticed over a history of posts on this forum that they can be particularly vicious towards much of Texas' history and heritage (think of the whole 1836 soccer fiasco), and I sensed that on this thread. But I probably shouldn't have reacted so carelessly.

The comment about the other 49 states was just a general comment towards people who can't stand elements of the Texas heritage being kept alive in contemporary projects. This state has a strong identity, and it usually takes precedence over any more local identity. Whether people like it or not, the Texas identity will likely always be part of Houston projects. Philip Johnson insisted on putting pink granite at the bottom of the Transco Tower because he thought all buildings in Texas should have that stone. The Astrodome itself was replete with Texas insignia, from the cowboys on the scoreboard light show to the star mounted on top of the roof. If a person is not into the Texas thing, they would probably be happier someplace else.

Rednecks, huh? So we're down to name-calling. No Redscare, you're not prejudiced at all. You're the very picture of pleasantness.

You really don't have a humorous bone in your body, do you?

You have been wrestling this thread for two days to turn honest critiques of a remodel of a Houston icon into your own personal crusade for small towns and cowboys. It is not. It is a common thread on this forum to express disappointment and disgust for the unimaginative reproductions of yesteryear that current day developers insist on foisting upon us. When it occurs on a prairie in Katy, or in the woods up north, we grumble. When it happens to a 40 year old symbol of the city itself, we get annoyed.

You are welcome to express your opinions on this project. I am entitled to mine. My opinion that a silly town square inside the Dome isn't my preferred reuse of the facility no more expresses my prejudices than my equally held opinion that a space theme is silly as well. If the developers had made that proposal, I would have weighed in on that, too. They chose the town square, so that is the one I commented on.

I have a fondness for old, small towns. I'm from one. But, this project is not one. Please understand the difference.

You have been wrestling this thread for two days to turn honest critiques of a remodel of a Houston icon into your own personal crusade for small towns and cowboys. It is not. It is a common thread on this forum to express disappointment and disgust for the unimaginative reproductions of yesteryear that current day developers insist on foisting upon us. When it occurs on a prairie in Katy, or in the woods up north, we grumble. When it happens to a 40 year old symbol of the city itself, we get annoyed.

You are welcome to express your opinions on this project. I am entitled to mine. My opinion that a silly town square inside the Dome isn't my preferred reuse of the facility no more expresses my prejudices than my equally held opinion that a space theme is silly as well. If the developers had made that proposal, I would have weighed in on that, too. They chose the town square, so that is the one I commented on.

I have a fondness for old, small towns. I'm from one. But, this project is not one. Please understand the difference.

RedScare - I understand the difference, and I understand your critique of the project. I like to think that I have a humorous bone, but sometimes sarcasm does not come across in text.

Edited by H-Town Man

I understand how you thought what you thought, and I apologize for the unclarity. I don't think Latinos are the only group that appreciates the urban lifestyle. I have, however, noticed over a history of posts on this forum that they can be particularly vicious towards much of Texas' history and heritage (think of the whole 1836 soccer fiasco), and I sensed that on this thread. But I probably shouldn't have reacted so carelessly.

The comment about the other 49 states was just a general comment towards people who can't stand elements of the Texas heritage being kept alive in contemporary projects. This state has a strong identity, and it usually takes precedence over any more local identity. Whether people like it or not, the Texas identity will likely always be part of Houston projects. Philip Johnson insisted on putting pink granite at the bottom of the Transco Tower because he thought all buildings in Texas should have that stone. The Astrodome itself was replete with Texas insignia, from the cowboys on the scoreboard light show to the star mounted on top of the roof. If a person is not into the Texas thing, they would probably be happier someplace else.

Word. Dig. And I most definitely see your take on the issue, because frankly, you

H-Town Man-

My point wasn't that the Gulf Coast region lacks courthouses, county seats, or even grassy squares. Of course towns have these things.

That said, every town you listed also has big box stores, strip malls, and highways that bypass the town center. I have been to every town you listed minus Halletsville and Round Top. None of them have active, vibrant courthouse squares outside of maybe the one weekend a year when a parade rolls through town.

On the other hand, Sundance Square in Fort Worth has done a remarkable job of retaining retail, entertainment, and cultural relevance. Waxahachie and Midlothian and towns like that have also been able to market their "squares" to Hollywood as idyllic film settings.

As for Market Square, blah. I love the place and the potential and think LaCarafe, Warrens, and Market Sq Grill are some of the best places in Houston. Of course, the rest of the square is surrounded by surface parking, a massive parking garage, and homeless folks camped out all day. Sounds almost like what we're planning for the Dome minus the riff raff.

Interestingly, there is NO "square" (public/park/greenspace) in Sundance Square. The Tarrant Co. courthouse is two blocks away from the SS developement, and not really a congregation point; although aesthetically one of Texas' best examples of 19th century courthouse architecture.

Edited by tcole

I for one, think that you're precisely on the mark, Red...although your sarcasm was most dry.

As for H-Town, there are many courthouse squares that have failed or that exist solely as a result of major subsidies. Someone made the point that many of these places are dead except for an annual parade...I'll back that one with Halletsville as a case in point, where I once witnessed a kolache-day parade. Sure, there are a few scruffy businesses there, but it is hardly the town's focal point with regards to street activity on a typical day. Sure there are a few examples of squares that never died, but many have up until just the last several years. Taylor, TX is a really good example...their vacancy rate is terribly high despite a critical mass of really nice architecture that is within the Austin MSA. Even in towns where vacancy is under control, many of the businesses are crappy.

And don't get me wrong...courthouse squares are nice and all...but...they've been done. The Astrodome is a monument to man's technological abilities; why would we want to use that as a medium to honor the commonplace?

i personally don't see what everyone is complaining about. Of course i would like to see something more representative of "Houston" to be inside a structure that was once deemed as the Eight Wonder of the World.

But i say, any type of business that's brought to Houston is a good thing. If they can find use for the Dome rather than tearing it down and just being another ghastly, unsightly parking lot, then WHY NOT? While i don't want that small texas heritage to be in Houston either, i look at the positive: Something is better than nothing.

although i would like to see something architecturally significant occur with the reuse of the astrodome, i can't see anyone financing a groundbreaking project. if they go ahead with the theme-based hotel, it will be because it has worked in other cities (nashville, orlando, etc.).

unfortunately, it appears we can look forward to multi-storied parking garages surrounding a cheesy domed convention center hotel.

i think i may prefer that the dome be imploded so that it remains, at least, a fond memory.

The Astrodome is a monument to man's technological abilities; why would we want to use that as a medium to honor the commonplace?

Point taken, but the thing is going to be wrapped in a gigantic parking garage. The architectural sense of the Astrodome as it was, and the spectacular interior space, are going to be destroyed. It might have been a monument to technological abilities forty years ago, but now it's just going to be another commercial development. It's not "preservation" in any meaningful sense. They might as well be crass about it.

Niche, may I toss in a "Fountainhead" analogy? In that book the hero architect builds some temple to the human spirit or whatnot, but the owner ends up redoing it in as crass a style as possible. "Si monumentum requiris circumspice ."

Point taken, but the thing is going to be wrapped in a gigantic parking garage. The architectural sense of the Astrodome as it was, and the spectacular interior space, are going to be destroyed. It might have been a monument to technological abilities forty years ago, but now it's just going to be another commercial development. It's not "preservation" in any meaningful sense. They might as well be crass about it.

Niche, may I toss in a "Fountainhead" analogy? In that book the hero architect builds some temple to the human spirit or whatnot, but the owner ends up redoing it in as crass a style as possible. "Si monumentum requiris circumspice ."

I would suggest that your chosen Fountainhead analogy is too weak and inappropriate for this debate. If I were to guess, I think that Roark would understand the need for renovation of structures for which there is no longer a use. The Astrodome is a symbol of precisely the movement that he would have championed...and although parking gargages may limit visibility from the freeway, I'd think that he'd welcome the opportunity to transform it into a new use with the same vibrant forward-thinking aesthetic.

I for one, think that you're precisely on the mark, Red...although your sarcasm was most dry.

As for H-Town, there are many courthouse squares that have failed or that exist solely as a result of major subsidies. Someone made the point that many of these places are dead except for an annual parade...I'll back that one with Halletsville as a case in point, where I once witnessed a kolache-day parade. Sure, there are a few scruffy businesses there, but it is hardly the town's focal point with regards to street activity on a typical day. Sure there are a few examples of squares that never died, but many have up until just the last several years. Taylor, TX is a really good example...their vacancy rate is terribly high despite a critical mass of really nice architecture that is within the Austin MSA. Even in towns where vacancy is under control, many of the businesses are crappy.

And don't get me wrong...courthouse squares are nice and all...but...they've been done. The Astrodome is a monument to man's technological abilities; why would we want to use that as a medium to honor the commonplace?

Did the courthouse squares you speak of fail because they were unsuccessful as public places? Or did they fail because the town died out, or because people abandoned the pedestrian lifestyle in favor of a car-based one? Most of our downtowns largely died out during the same time period... does that mean that the concept of a downtown is unfeasible or unsuccessful?

The criticism that it's not creative is even weaker... simply because one uses a traditional form to organize space does not mean that one can't be creative. It's like saying that the traditional urban street grid is "not creative," or that downtowns are "not creative... they've been done."

I can agree with the criticism that traditional, small town Texas does not fit with the Astrodome. Certainly Roy Hofheinz was not trying to hearken to small town roots when he proposed it. But most of these other criticisms make little sense.

The Astrodome is a symbol of precisely the movement that he would have championed...and although parking gargages may limit visibility from the freeway, I'd think that he'd welcome the opportunity to transform it into a new use with the same vibrant forward-thinking aesthetic.

niche, do you really think the purposed redevelopment of the astrodome is "forward-thinking"? it seems mediocre at best (imo).

Did the courthouse squares you speak of fail because they were unsuccessful as public places? Or did they fail because the town died out, or because people abandoned the pedestrian lifestyle in favor of a car-based one? Most of our downtowns largely died out during the same time period... does that mean that the concept of a downtown is unfeasible or unsuccessful?

The criticism that it's not creative is even weaker... simply because one uses a traditional form to organize space does not mean that one can't be creative. It's like saying that the traditional urban street grid is "not creative," or that downtowns are "not creative... they've been done."

I can agree with the criticism that traditional, small town Texas does not fit with the Astrodome. Certainly Roy Hofheinz was not trying to hearken to small town roots when he proposed it. But most of these other criticisms make little sense.

They failed for a number of reasons, including those that you cited. Post-war demographic shifts, highway bypasses, car-based lifestyles (or perhaps more appropriately A/C-based lifestyles), and changing consumer attitudes all played roles in the downfall of the traditional town square. Now, if you're going to ask whether the concept of a centralized downtown is inherently unsuccessful, my answer has to be no. They're not always unsuccessful.

Under the right set of circumstances, of course they can be made successful (most anything can). But, if you ask yourself whether they are superior from a market perspective to an enclosed regional mall or more likely a strip mall with a sizable grocery store anchoring it...no competition. The grocery store alone will generate more traffic than the courthouse square (including the courthouse) ever will. You could claim that I shouldn't compare the two, but back in the days that most squares were built, that's where grocers set up shop. The typical Kroger-anchored strip mall is simply the next evolution of the town square, in that sense...and the town square is functionally obsolete.

There has been a resurgence in the last many years, but it has largely been a result of substantial subsidy put into economic development efforts. The shame is that a lot of these little towns have EDCs that spend lots and lots of money in order to compete amongst themselves for the few viable businesses that would stimulate their tiny economies.

Street grids work because they are a functional solution to traffic management and allow for long-term shifts in land use with minimal disruptions. The town square, on the other hand, is largely a matter of asethetic preference and can be substituted with indoor malls, tunnels, or other non-traditional options.

niche, do you really think the purposed redevelopment of the astrodome is "forward-thinking"? it seems mediocre at best (imo).

The proposal is mediocre as it is.

That said, I do think that we can and should make something of it. If this is the best that they can come up with, well I can live with it...but I'd hope for something better.

They failed for a number of reasons, including those that you cited. Post-war demographic shifts, highway bypasses, car-based lifestyles (or perhaps more appropriately A/C-based lifestyles), and changing consumer attitudes all played roles in the downfall of the traditional town square. Now, if you're going to ask whether the concept of a centralized downtown is inherently unsuccessful, my answer has to be no. They're not always unsuccessful.

Under the right set of circumstances, of course they can be made successful (most anything can). But, if you ask yourself whether they are superior from a market perspective to an enclosed regional mall or more likely a strip mall with a sizable grocery store anchoring it...no competition. The grocery store alone will generate more traffic than the courthouse square (including the courthouse) ever will. You could claim that I shouldn't compare the two, but back in the days that most squares were built, that's where grocers set up shop. The typical Kroger-anchored strip mall is simply the next evolution of the town square, in that sense...and the town square is functionally obsolete.

There has been a resurgence in the last many years, but it has largely been a result of substantial subsidy put into economic development efforts. The shame is that a lot of these little towns have EDCs that spend lots and lots of money in order to compete amongst themselves for the few viable businesses that would stimulate their tiny economies.

Street grids work because they are a functional solution to traffic management and allow for long-term shifts in land use with minimal disruptions. The town square, on the other hand, is largely a matter of asethetic preference and can be substituted with indoor malls, tunnels, or other non-traditional options.

The proposal is mediocre as it is.

That said, I do think that we can and should make something of it. If this is the best that they can come up with, well I can live with it...but I'd hope for something better.

Niche,

I don't care what's superior from a market perspective. I am interested in public space as architecture, not real estate. The town square, because it combines government with commerce, greenery, history, civic showcase, and public gathering space, offers something in this realm that indoor malls or tunnels do not. That is why people like them, and that is why a development like this will use a town square as its theme before it uses a Kroger-anchored shopping center.

Niche,

I don't care what's superior from a market perspective. I am interested in public space as architecture, not real estate. The town square, because it combines government with commerce, greenery, history, civic showcase, and public gathering space, offers something in this realm that indoor malls or tunnels do not. That is why people like them, and that is why a development like this will use a town square as its theme before it uses a Kroger-anchored shopping center.

Different styles are appropriate for different places. I judge the level of success that a place has by its draw from the market. If people really want to be somewhere, they'll find a way. The number of land uses and trees that are crammed into a space are irrelevant if the vacancy rate is high and nobody comes to enjoy it.

You see, I'm an advocate of people-centered architecture: aesthetics that work for people...not the other way around.

Different styles are appropriate for different places. I judge the level of success that a place has by its draw from the market. If people really want to be somewhere, they'll find a way. The number of land uses and trees that are crammed into a space are irrelevant if the vacancy rate is high and nobody comes to enjoy it.

You see, I'm an advocate of people-centered architecture: aesthetics that work for people...not the other way around.

Niche, that's precisely what makes you a developer, and me an architecture enthusiast. If more people visit Disney World in a year than visit Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water, you'd judge it a greater architectural achievement.

It said in the article that there's over 17,000 parking spaces available outside Reliant Park for HLS&R and Texans games. If the Texans or HLS&R disapprove of the proposed hotel taking up parking spaces, then why couldn't one be built for Reliant Stadium events across the street? It wouldn't have to be too big; just enough for VIP personel and suite ticket holders. And couldn't the hotel help enhance the atmosphere on gameday?

Apparently the luxury hotel has taken the next step!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/4059186.html

Dome plan gets preliminary OK

Planners hope to secure financing in six months for conversion to hotel

By BILL MURPHY

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Entrepreneurs seeking to turn the Reliant Astrodome into an upscale convention hotel hope to secure financing in six months and begin work on gutting and remaking the legendary Houston venue next summer.

Scott Hanson, president of Astrodome Redevelopment Corp., laid out the timetable after his project was given preliminary approval by the Harris County Sports & Convention Corp.'s board Wednesday.

Hanson and the other partners in Astrodome Redevelopment are poised to invest $450 million to turn the world's first domed stadium into a 1,200-room hotel with winding waterways, gondolas and nightclubs.

"We've done a lot of studies. We had to convince ourselves first that this will be a success," he said.

Before the project can go forward, the Sports & Convention Corp.'s board and the county Commissioners Court will have to approve final construction plans and a contract with Astrodome Redevelopment. The county owns the Dome.

The massive undertaking would take 30-42 months, meaning it could be finished by 2010.

Mike Surface, chairman of the Sports & Convention Corp., said Astrodome Redevelopment has been working nearly three years on a Dome project.

The board has looked for ways to save the Dome because so many in the community are attached to the historic building.

Initially, Astrodome Redevelopment proposed turning the Dome into an amusement park with a space theme. That plan has given way to the convention hotel.

Astrodome Redevelopment team members include URS Corp., one of the country's biggest architectural and engineering firms, and Falcon's Treehouse, a Florida-based theme-and-design firm that touts its work for Hard Rock Cafe. Employees from URS' office in Houston have been active in working on the project.

Interesting to read this thread. The Gaylord Texan in Grapevine is doing great business. Many in Dallas don't exactly love the concept, but its just another attraction to add to North Texas tourism. The place itself is excellent and is doing big time convention business. If this happens, worry about your downtown convention center.

To answer an earlier question, the Gaylord Texan has an adjacent golf course. The thing is already expanding, and you have a couple of other similar resorts also being built along the shore of Lake Grapevine. I would have thought this type of resort would show up in Galveston.

The gondolas and waterways sound pretty cool. As long as the thing has a somewhat diverse theme...it might very well be cool. I still dont like the idea of a garage wrapping itself around it. Whey cant it be somewat removed and independent, instead of attached to it?

...and you have a couple of other similar resorts also being built along the shore of Lake Grapevine. I would have thought this type of resort would show up in Galveston.

The dome is situated in proximity to brays bayou. Thus, it can be touted as a waterfront resort during tropical storms and floods.

Roark would spit on the idea of altering another man's work. That was the entire premise of the novel:

"My work done my way. A private, personal, selfish, egotistical motivation. That's the only way I function. That's all I am."

That's why he blew up the housing project and that's why it's BS to suggest he would even entertain the thought of altering another man's work.

I still disagree. His design was perfect not because it was Roark's, but because it fulfilled its functional objectives in the best possible way. The bureaucrats and other architects made it imperfect by corrupting it with expensive additions that didn't add enough value to be justified. Read my signature. Roark was not so much capitalist as he was egotistical, and not so much egotistical as he was rational. His designs were rational; the bureaucrats' were not.

With rationality in mind, what do you think that Roark would do with something for which its original purpose is no longer viable, but for which another purpose might be brilliantly fulfilled? Construction materials are not limited to steel, concrete, lumber, etc., but sometimes also include prefabricated items. The Astrodome is one such item. It already exists, is on the site, and needs but little modification in order to fulfill a higher and better use in a potentially less expensive way.

Niche, that's precisely what makes you a developer, and me an architecture enthusiast. If more people visit Disney World in a year than visit Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water, you'd judge it a greater architectural achievement.

Falling Water was not built as a tourist attraction, but as a home. It was never intended to generate a tourist draw.

Disney World is buit to generate a tourist draw.

Architecture is created for a user. If the type of user changes, then the building's intent is not completely fulfilled.

I would have thought this type of resort would show up in Galveston.

Nope. San Luis already has the Galveston market pretty well cornered. Its actually not too large of a market because their airport doesn't generate the right kind of air traffic and the next nearest one is Hobby (even though many passengers end up flying in by IAH, whether they want to or not).

I would suggest that your chosen Fountainhead analogy is too weak and inappropriate for this debate. If I were to guess, I think that Roark would understand the need for renovation of structures for which there is no longer a use. The Astrodome is a symbol of precisely the movement that he would have championed...and although parking gargages may limit visibility from the freeway, I'd think that he'd welcome the opportunity to transform it into a new use with the same vibrant forward-thinking aesthetic.

Well, I can