Houston We Have A Problem

Trae

And why do we not have an image ............cause we have nothing. Las Vegas,Los Angeles,CHicago,New York,Miami all have lots of things to do there which is why they have images.

Every city that you mentioned has a tv show that takes place there. Also, think about the amount of movies that take place in those cities. We're the energy capital, but how often does that make prime time?

We don't have an image because we don't have a strong media presence. We need more than just news stories and a one-time sporting event to be known. We need either one of four things for the world to see Houston as a city popular enough to host the Olympics:

1). At least one major t.v. network based in Houston

2). more than one popular national talkshow and/or primetime show located here (think of CSI Miami, NYC, Las Vegas, etc.)

3) a major movie studio located in Houston

4) a major ANNUAL sporting event hosted here every year that the nation sees as worth watching. Not just another race, bowl, or tournament, but THE race, bowl, or tournament (Daytona 500, X-Games in L.A., Pro Bowl Hawaii, etc.)

Cheesy, but true.

Every city that you mentioned has a tv show that takes place there. Also, think about the amount of movies that take place in those cities. We're the energy capital, but how often does that make prime time?

We don't have an image because we don't have a strong media presence. We need more than just news stories and big sporting events to be known. We need either one of three things for the world to see Houston as a city popular enough to host the Olympics:

2). more than one popular national talkshow and/or primetime show located here (think of CSI Miami, NYC, Las Vegas, etc.)

4) a major ANNUAL sporting event hosted here every year that the nation sees as worth watching. Not just another race, bowl, or tournament, but THE race, bowl, or tournament (Daytona 500, X-Games in L.A., Pro Bowl Hawaii, etc.)

Cheesy, but true.

You're absolutely right. Some overnight media circus does little in the long run for a city. An immediate economic boom maybe, but not as much as a city would like. We need something concrete that is hear all the time. Any of those things would definitely help create a solid, renowned image for Houston.

We don't have an image because we don't have a strong media presence. We need more than just news stories and a one-time sporting event to be known. We need either one of four things for the world to see Houston as a city popular enough to host the Olympics:

Cheesy, but true.

Ho-Ly-Cow. I believe I have now heard it all. And, most stunning of all, it came from my good pal, DJ, someone who has actually BEEN outside of the US. I expect loads of myopic, America-centric BS from the others, but you, DJ?

Please!

The IOC is not comprised of a bunch of high school students from Katy. They don't watch CSI or Oprah. They probably don't even care about our movies. They generally watch their own networks, and occasionally CNN, to see who we attacked this week. Have you already forgotten that New York lost BECAUSE they are sick of our crap?

Olympic site selection is as political as it gets. The things that matter are literally foreign to most self-centered Americans. Diplomacy is the key word here. The USOC might not even submit a bid for 2016. The poll submitted to the IOC was, "IF we submit a bid city, which one would you like to see?" It is not hard to figure out that the cities that draw the most foreign tourists fared best. And, those cities do not draw foreign tourists because of crappy network dramas.

When the Olympics come to town, a city does not need theme parks and malls. The attraction is the OLYMPICS! As part of the show, plazas are built or revamped and nightly entertainment is brought in. Few cities have enough attractions to entertain a crowd that size. Similar to the Super Bowl, all of the highlights are events that only exist because of the Olympics. Remember, Astroworld wasn't even open when the SB came.

What Houston needs to do is exactly what the USOC said to do. Prove to the world that it can host smaller events like Pan Am or similar events, and bide its time. Houston will get a bid when we show that our performance AND our technical criteria blow everyone away. We have to. We can't build hills and Golden Gate Bridges. We have to show we are just better at it. Only 3 US cities have ever hosted an Olympics, and most of you don't even know the third one. It is not an embarrassment to not be picked. It is an honor to be in the last 5 two consecutive cycles.

And remember, out of LA, Chicago, and SF, two of them will end up in the same place Houston did.

Ho-Ly-Cow. I believe I have now heard it all. And, most stunning of all, it came from my good pal, DJ, someone who has actually BEEN outside of the US. I expect loads of myopic, America-centric BS from the others, but you, DJ?

Please!

The IOC is not comprised of a bunch of high school students from Katy. They don't watch CSI or Oprah. They probably don't even care about our movies. They generally watch their own networks, and occasionally CNN, to see who we attacked this week. Have you already forgotten that New York lost BECAUSE they are sick of our crap?

Olympic site selection is as political as it gets. The things that matter are literally foreign to most self-centered Americans. Diplomacy is the key word here. The USOC might not even submit a bid for 2016. The poll submitted to the IOC was, "IF we submit a bid city, which one would you like to see?" It is not hard to figure out that the cities that draw the most foreign tourists fared best. And, those cities do not draw foreign tourists because of crappy network dramas.

When the Olympics come to town, a city does not need theme parks and malls. The attraction is the OLYMPICS! As part of the show, plazas are built or revamped and nightly entertainment is brought in. Few cities have enough attractions to entertain a crowd that size. Similar to the Super Bowl, all of the highlights are events that only exist because of the Olympics. Remember, Astroworld wasn't even open when the SB came.

What Houston needs to do is exactly what the USOC said to do. Prove to the world that it can host smaller events like Pan Am or similar events, and bide its time. Houston will get a bid when we show that our performance AND our technical criteria blow everyone away. We have to. We can't build hills and Golden Gate Bridges. We have to show we are just better at it. Only 3 US cities have ever hosted an Olympics, and most of you don't even know the third one. It is not an embarrassment to not be picked. It is an honor to be in the last 5 two consecutive cycles.

And remember, out of LA, Chicago, and SF, two of them will end up in the same place Houston did.

(RedScare's referring to L.A., Atlanta, and St. Louis)

Living overseas for so long, media seems to be the secret weapon when it comes to being the choice of representing the USOC for an Olympics bid. Atlanta would NEVER have hosted the Olympics if it weren't for Ted Turner and his media empire located there. NYC is home to numerous tv networks, which gave the city an advantage over cities like Houston, even though Houston had a better overall package to offer, including the fact that we never had a political battle over Olympic Stadium.

As you said earlier, "The poll submitted to the IOC was, 'IF we submit a bid city, which one would you like to see?'" How would they pick Houston if they've seen L.A., Chicago, and San Fransisco more? Even if we have a better offer, how do they know that?

I agree 100% with you that the Olympic selection process is a political battlefield, and I also agree that we should take the USOC's advice and pursue a Pan Am Games and'or Goodwill Games (though I've never watched either). And it's an honor to be considered in the top 5. But part of the political game is that it's a childish popularity contest. We've already proven that Houston has what it takes to host an Olympics. We don't need theme parks and another mall (we already have great shopping areas here). But maybe if TheGalleria wanted to be seen, it needs a national cheesy t.v. show there. Think about it. For example, I don't even watch Laguna Beach, but I bet more MTV fans know about what Laguna Beach has to offer than Houston.

My point is that the IOC wants an Olympic host site that will generate excitement, and for a lot of people, it means they'd love to go to a place that they already know has something to offer; not necesarily a place that they've barely seen. I guarantee that if Miami had our package and their movies, t.v. shows and such, that they'd be in the top 3. It's not just about attractions. It's about media.

(RedScare's referring to L.A., Atlanta, and St. Louis)

Living overseas for so long, media seems to be the secret weapon when it comes to being the choice of representing the USOC for an Olympics bid. Atlanta would NEVER have hosted the Olympics if it weren't for Ted Turner and his media empire located there. NYC is home to numerous tv networks, which gave the city an advantage over cities like Houston, even though Houston had a better overall package to offer, including the fact that we never had a political battle over Olympic Stadium.

As you said earlier, "The poll submitted to the IOC was, 'IF we submit a bid city, which one would you like to see?'" How would they pick Houston if they've seen L.A., Chicago, and San Fransisco more? Even if we have a better offer, how do they know that?

I agree 100% with you that the Olympic selection process is a political battlefield, and I also agree that we should take the USOC's advice and pursue a Pan Am Games and'or Goodwill Games (though I've never watched either). And it's an honor to be considered in the top 5. But part of the political game is that it's a childish popularity contest. We've already proven that Houston has what it takes to host an Olympics. We don't need theme parks and another mall (we already have great shopping areas here). But maybe if TheGalleria wanted to be seen, it needs a national cheesy t.v. show there. Think about it. For example, I don't even watch Laguna Beach, but I bet more MTV fans know about what Laguna Beach has to offer than Houston.

My point is that the IOC wants an Olympic host site that will generate excitement, and for a lot of people, it means they'd love to go to a place that they already know has something to offer; not necesarily a place that they've barely seen. I guarantee that if Miami had our package and their movies, t.v. shows and such, that they'd be in the top 3. It's not just about attractions. It's about media.

And, when the IOC decides host cities by a call-in vote on MTV, Laguna Beach is a shoe-in. Here's an article with a little insight as to what is going on.

http://www.nysun.com/article/36897

Note that the IOC wanted World Class cities for 2012. Cities do not become World Class by having an American TV show made in their town. Otherwise, Reno would be World Class. Houston's biggest drawback is that it is new. Only in the last 40 years has it been a big city. And, in reading that article, note that Miami already has more facilities than the probable top two contenders. Ueberroth doesn't want any competition for LA and SF. He knew he could bump off Houston and Philly easily.

But hey, if you want to believe that the IOC Selection Committee members from PARIS, LONDON and BERLIN are impressed with how many bad TV dramas are based in an American city, more power to ya. They're probably still pissed that Miami Vice was cancelled.

BTW, everyone knows that NYC was a total sympathy choice. It had nothing to do with their TV networks.

And, when the IOC decides host cities by a call-in vote on MTV, Laguna Beach is a shoe-in. Here's an article with a little insight as to what is going on.

http://www.nysun.com/article/36897

Note that the IOC wanted World Class cities for 2012. Cities do not become World Class by having an American TV show made in their town. Otherwise, Reno would be World Class. Houston's biggest drawback is that it is new. Only in the last 40 years has it been a big city. And, in reading that article, note that Miami already has more facilities than the probable top two contenders. Ueberroth doesn't want any competition for LA and SF. He knew he could bump off Houston and Philly easily.

But hey, if you want to believe that the IOC Selection Committee members from PARIS, LONDON and BERLIN are impressed with how many bad TV dramas are based in an American city, more power to ya. They're probably still pissed that Miami Vice was cancelled.

BTW, everyone knows that NYC was a total sympathy choice. It had nothing to do with their TV networks.

It's all about marketability. Media=trendsetting=retail=$$$. NYC was more than a sympathy vote. They had higher sponsorship than any other U.S. city. Houston, NYC, D.C., and San Fran. all had their business-people privatly funding the bid, but outsiders were willing to pump up NYC for it's high market, plus the fact that so many networks are based there.

Stop and think of how often you see NYC, San Fran., Chicago, L.A., Philly, and Atlanta on t.v. in a week. Then think about Houston. Then think of how good a chance we had at winning a top 3-out-of-5 city vote with the IOC based on what city sounds the coolest to host an Olympics in. If it's based on that, we never stood a chance.

I think even if we were to host a Pan Am/Goodwill Games, we still would have an uphill battle against L.A., San Fran, and Chi-Town. We were happy to host the Super Bowl and All-Star Games because of the media coverage and millions of viewers, plus the thousands that visited and created that revenue. If we had something annual that did that (like L.A. with the X-Games) that would increase our chances. The Houston Bowl doesn't do anything significant to increase our chances, but if we had a Rose/Fiesta/Orange/Sugar Bowl annually here, that would help.

I do believe that Houston being new is a strong advantage. We have much more to work with. Our transportation and facilities are able to learn from other cities' mistakes. (Light Rail's still learning one accident at a time, but, uh, oye). Our biggest drawback in my opinion is international marketability. We're growing in that department, but we're far behind many other major cities when it comes to that. Only national t.v. shows I can think of from H-Town are Texas Justice, Reba, Lakewood Church, and occasionally Cheaters :huh: And when it comes to international marketability, I don't think of having CNN, NBC, or Universal Studios. I think Yao Ming. Olympic sponsors want more. It's all about the advertisement revenue.

RedScare, I don't understand how having a strong international media presense in Houston would hurt our chances at hosting Olympics, Super Bowls, etc.

"Houston, we have a problem?"

LOLOLOLA!!@!~

That's original! What's next, steers and queers?

HAHAH< FUNNAY! @!!~

You are the Mensa.

Damn Houston we have a problem is Original.

anyhoo, serious crap.

I guess we can develop the Astroworld plot now :D

Seriously, I am fine with this. The Olympics down here in August and September would be brutal hot.

Yeah, but we have air conditioning, remember?

Other than the marathon and a few other events, we got the freaking a/c.

There's a reason for that, though. The last Olympics since Atlanta were held in Sydney and Athens, and the times that they were showing the events live in the U.S. were probably not conventional. Next one will be in Bejing, meaning live events will probably be shown in America around 2-3am, which doesn't help. Perfect case in point is the World Cup. The 2002 World Cup final was in Japan and shown in Houston around 7am. The 2006 Final was held in Berlin and shown in Houston live at 1pm. Ratings for the final were reportly up over 200% (interest grew as a result).

I HOPE we at least are still in the running after Wednesday, but I guess we'll have to wait and see if the USOC and IOC have ANY common sense or not...

In the Japan/Korea world cup, they showed a replay later that day.

Also, ratings were high because of interest from the US team. We were suppose to be a special team. I guess people latched on, which is good for soccer, I suppose.

I think the ratings in Bejing will not be low, but won't be high either, because I think there is interest in Bejing. They're barely opening themselves up to the world.

Is there a spot in the world where everyone will see it at a convienent time. Maybe that should be the permanent Olympic home.

Athens, Greece?

But you saw how that went...

The World Cup coming back to America would be bigger than landing the Olympics, but the U.S. hosted in 1994, so the odds of getting them in 2018 aren't that strong. 2014 will be in South America (most likely Brazil). 2018 will be an international slugfest to host. I think England, China, Australia, and Spain are among countries already getting their bids ready. If the U.S. are to win it, Houston NEEDS to be one of the 10 host cities. Maybe even push for the finals. Reliant Stadium would have the best sitelines ever for a Final match, and we'd have almost 2 BILLION people looking at Houston. Plus by that time, American ratings alone would probably equal Super Bowl ratings depending on how our homeboys do.

I think we need to push for the Pan Am and Goodwill Games. Part of the reason why NYC was able to bid for 2012 was because they hosted the Goodwill. I say we push for both, and hope that America doesn't bid in 2016. L.A., San Fran, and Chicago are not as equiped as most other cities that are pushng for '16, and we speak English. London's already got it in '12. I'm expecting South America to host in '16.

I agree, South America, most likely Brazil will host it in 2014. I doubt that England or Spain would get it. I think FIFA wants to spread out the host countries by regions. I honestly think the US could win it in 2018, unless we land it in 2014.

There was uproar about Germany hosting in 2006 over an African country so they vowed that each FIFA confederation would get to host it.

in 2002, the AFC country hosted it in Japan and South Korea, in 2006, a UEFA country hosted it, and 2010 will be a CAF country.

So that leaves CONMEBOL, CONCACAF, and OFC.

If not Brazil, Aregentina could host it.

In CONCACAF, USA would of course be the best country to host it, but Mexico could land it.

I think Australia would be the only country capable of hosting the World Cup, I honestly don't see them EVER hosting the world cup. They could share hosting duties with New Zeland though. I don't see Fiji or Tonga hosting a match.

Plus, there are 12 cities that host matches, not ten. And the final match would most likely be in some new New York stadium if they get their crap straight or in Los Angeles if they ever land an NFL team.

The World Cup is bigger than The Olympics. When did that happen?

And what cities in South America are more equiped than America's?

Houston need s more attractions. Maybe if we build a rail system, an Amusement Park, and a Mall Of Texas the Olympics might happen. For now I biggest problem is image. And the reason don't have one is there's nothing here.

Yeah dude. World Cup is bigger than the Olympics. Infact, world wide, this is how it stacks up.

1) Fifa World Cup

2) Summer Olympics

3) Ryder Cup

...serious about the Ryder Cup.

Entire cities around the world shut down. Except here in America. We still work. I remember a story in 2002, that some prison guards in Thailand were in deep trouble because some inmates escapped because the guards were watching the match.

Just because America doesn't care, doesn't mean the rest of the world doesn't care also.

I think even if we were to host a Pan Am/Goodwill Games, we still would have an uphill battle against L.A., San Fran, and Chi-Town. We were happy to host the Super Bowl and All-Star Games because of the media coverage and millions of viewers, plus the thousands that visited and created that revenue. If we had something annual that did that (like L.A. with the X-Games) that would increase our chances. The Houston Bowl doesn't do anything significant to increase our chances, but if we had a Rose/Fiesta/Orange/Sugar Bowl annually here, that would help.

I do believe that Houston being new is a strong advantage. We have much more to work with. Our transportation and facilities are able to learn from other cities' mistakes. (Light Rail's still learning one accident at a time, but, uh, oye). Our biggest drawback in my opinion is international marketability. We're growing in that department, but we're far behind many other major cities when it comes to that. Only national t.v. shows I can think of from H-Town are Texas Justice, Reba, Lakewood Church, and occasionally Cheaters :huh: And when it comes to international marketability, I don't think of having CNN, NBC, or Universal Studios. I think Yao Ming. Olympic sponsors want more. It's all about the advertisement revenue.

RedScare, I don't understand how having a strong international media presense in Houston would hurt our chances at hosting Olympics, Super Bowls, etc.

I think we hosted some kind of international games back in the 1990s but I cannot recall which one. It might be defunct. It might not.

The Super Bowl will always get Millions of views no matter where it is being played. It is the freaking Super Bowl. It will always get crazy Media coverage no matter what city.

The x-games were in LA this year, and last year, but it hasn't always been that way. It's been held in San Francisco. It even started out in Rhode Island. It's been also held in Philly, and San Diego.

No matter what they call themselves, the Houston Bowl or the Texas Bowl, or who they are sponsored by, that game will never EVER EVER NEVER EVER be a Rose Bowl, a Cotton Bowl, an Orange Bowl, or Sugar Bowl. Jesus, and Noah, and them bible dudes played in the Rose Bowl, and Keith Jackson called all those games. Those games have been around forever. Now notice I didn't include the Fiesta Bowl. The Fiesta Bowl didn't start up til the 70s. and wasn't even played on New Years Day. They eventually attracted top 5, top 10 teams. They used to have tie ins from the WAC if i recall. This was when the WAC was an actual conference. The Orange Bowl always got the best team from the Big 8, the Cotton Bowl got the best team from the SWC. The Sugar Bowl gets the best team out of the SEC.

For the Houston Bowl to survive they need teams that are big names. They need to get up the pecking order by finding some big corporation to sponsor it. Also, it can't be played in the freaking middle of the day on a weekday. Until those requirements are met, the Texas Bowl will just be another bowl game for teams that are 6-5 or 7-4.

My take.

We didn't offer up enough call girls. We didn't offer up enough free sex. We didn't give money under the table. We didn't provide USOC members free college education for their kids. We didn't give them vacation homes, and estates.

Who really cares what show is set in what city? Did Dallas get a sniff from the USOC? I'm sure visitor from Thailand wants to see boxing at the Olympics, and then sneek down to three forks ranch, or whatever that place is called.

I'm sure somebody from England wants to see Equestrian show jumping. Then after that, find the old demolished Veterans stadium, and take a picture of the exact spot where Michael Irvin broke his neck. I just equated English Hooligan with Philly Fan.

People want to come to Houston, because there is a redneck judge tv show?

We got jobbed. That's just how it is in Houston. We know how great our city is. It's just too bad the world doesn't know.

• 4 months later...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...ts/4457785.html

The USOC announced today that they are indeed going to bid either Los Angeles or Chicago for the Olympics in 2016, which means if they win, Houston or Dallas probably wouldn't get another chance to run until at least 2028. My response...

damn.jpg

Also, why haven't we heard anything yet on Houston making a bid to host the Pan-American or Goodwill Games?

Great, another "Houston isn't good enough" thread! DJV Lawrence, I say this with the most sincerity. . .you should apply for a job with the Houston Convention & Visitors Bureau. I mean, if you really would like to see all of these events come to Houston, you should put forth all of that energy towards an agency whose job it is to do exactly that. All of this time/energy being wasted on this message board, over and over again, in thread after thread is not going to produce any positive result. I'm sure 1) the people over at the Convention & Visitors bureau would welcome someone with your enthusiasm, 2) you will feel more fulfilled, and 3) the City of Houston will be better of for your contribution. It's time to put up or shut up, now.

Great, another "Houston isn't good enough" thread! DJV Lawrence, I say this with the most sincerity. . .you should apply for a job with the Houston Convention & Visitors Bureau. I mean, if you really would like to see all of these events come to Houston, you should put forth all of that energy towards an agency whose job it is to do exactly that. All of this time/energy being wasted on this message board, over and over again, in thread after thread is not going to produce any positive result. I'm sure 1) the people over at the Convention & Visitors bureau would welcome someone with your enthusiasm, 2) you will feel more fulfilled, and 3) the City of Houston will be better of for your contribution. It's time to put up or shut up, now.

Whoa dea, 713. Don't get all Rosie vs. Donald on me for nothing, yo; I think my thread was just. Houston attempted to get the Olympics in 2012 and 2016 (ended up in the top five both times, but nowhere farther). Dallas tried for the Olympic games in 2012 and didn't make past the top eight, however Jerry Jones is on the record as saying that he'd like the new Dallas Cowboys' stadium to host an Opening Ceremonies for the Olympics one day (as well as the World Cup). Both cities have expressed desires to host the games.

I'm not dissing either city at all. It was suggested to Houston though after the 2012 bid that we should pursue hosting the Pan-American and Goodwill Games to work our way up on the international sports spotlight, since very few international sporting events have been hosted here. Dallas has hosted the World Cup before (1994). Houston has hosted Super Bowls and All-Star Games, but those are only for American leagues. It seemed at the time that there would be a push by Houston to make bids for the other Games, but I haven't heard anything new since the 2012 Olympic bids on either city pursuing them to show they had what it took to host an Olympics.

(BTW, Houston Convention & Visitors Bureau don't sound that bad at all ^_^ I'm only questioning what Houston and Dallas are going to pursue prior to the Olympics other than national events)

(BTW, Houston Convention & Visitors Bureau don't sound that bad at all ^_^ I'm only questioning what Houston and Dallas are going to pursue prior to the Olympics other than national events)

I'm glad that you may be considering the GHCVB, because I was serious. I didn't really mean any harm with my last post. I really feel that someone with as much interest in seeing events/exposure for Houston (and undoubtedly you do by evidence of your creation/participation in threads regarding Superbowl, World Cup, Olympics, Real World, TV Shows filmed in Houston, etc, etc, etc.) should apply that energy in places where it will really matter. I think the Convention & Visitors Bureau would be a good fit for someone like you. . .seriously.

I'm glad that you may be considering the GHCVB, because I was serious. I didn't really mean any harm with my last post. I really feel that someone with as much interest in seeing events/exposure for Houston (and undoubtedly you do by evidence of your creation/participation in threads regarding Superbowl, World Cup, Olympics, Real World, TV Shows filmed in Houston, etc, etc, etc.) should apply that energy in places where it will really matter. I think the Convention & Visitors Bureau would be a good fit for someone like you. . .seriously.

What kind of education do they like to see, whatever? And in general, do they get paid decently?

Ah, my bad. I never thought of that before, but I'll look into it. BTW, I wonder if anyone from GHCVB reads HAIF.

Houston's major event situation reminds me of the Texans; a lot to work with, but needs to build it's depth. Especially when it comes to GHCVB and HCHSA. I'd love to help, but with or without me, I don't understand why either group isn't taking a more proactive approach on smaller events that could help build for Houston's convention future. All I heard about from HCHSA was the new stadiums, one Super Bowl, a couple All-Star games, and that's it. They sound like they've fizzled, and there's still a sports team in town that's gonna be asking for a stadium within the next 5 years. What have they done since Toyota Center opened?

Good luck to Chicago and LA. But I think it's all for not. It's going to be in America for sure. But it's going to be in South America. Just a feeling.

South America is long overdue. Cape Town, South Africa is almost a guarantee for the future as well. U know the Olympics will wanna pull a FIFA and host an Olympics in Africa for the first time. Since South Africa won the World Cup bid, and Cape Town will be home of the final, they'll have a chance to prove why Cape Town should be the city that represents the continent.

Now notice I didn't include the Fiesta Bowl. The Fiesta Bowl didn't start up til the 70s. and wasn't even played on New Years Day. They eventually attracted top 5, top 10 teams. They used to have tie ins from the WAC if i recall. This was when the WAC was an actual conference.

What made the Fiesta Bowl big time was the 1986 No. 1 (Miami) vs. No. 2 (Penn State) Fiesta Bowl. This was in the days of fewer bowls having conference tie-ins and there were a lot more at-large spots. It just so happened that year that the No. 1 and No. 2 teams were both Independents (this was before Miami joined the Big East and Penn State made liars of the Big "Ten") and not tied to a particular bowl. The Fiesta Bowl had two at-large slots so they made big financial commitments to Penn State and Miami and then secured sponsors to back them up once the teams committed to the game (which started the trend for bowl games and sponsorships). So they had the hype of a true No. 1 vs. No. 2 game for the "national championship," a Heisman trophy winner (Vinny Testaverde), the bad boy image of Miami with the Hurricanes showing up in Army fatigues for bowl events versus the chior boy image of Paterno's Nittany Lions. It was a perfect storm of naitonal hype which permanently put the Fiesta Bowl on the map. I believe the game still holds some type of bowl game ratings record.

South America is long overdue. Cape Town, South Africa is almost a guarantee for the future as well. U know the Olympics will wanna pull a FIFA and host an Olympics in Africa for the first time. Since South Africa won the World Cup bid, and Cape Town will be home of the final, they'll have a chance to prove why Cape Town should be the city that represents the continent.

I would think they would want to wait and see how South Africa does with the World Cup in 2010. Last I heard some of the infrastructure improvements, such as a train line from the Johannesburg airport, were in serious danger of not being completed. Also the crime situation is still really bad. I know they would like to have it in Africa, but I'm not sure SA is ready.

I would think they would want to wait and see how South Africa does with the World Cup in 2010. Last I heard some of the infrastructure improvements, such as a train line from the Johannesburg airport, were in serious danger of not being completed. Also the crime situation is still really bad. I know they would like to have it in Africa, but I'm not sure SA is ready.

(For the record, Korea's bullet train wasn't completed until a few months after World Cup 2002)

If it weren't Cape Town, are there any other cities on the continent of Africa that you think has a shot at making a bid for the Olympics?

(For the record, Korea's bullet train wasn't completed until a few months after World Cup 2002)

If it weren't Cape Town, are there any other cities on the continent of Africa that you think has a shot at making a bid for the Olympics?

Other than Johannesburg/Cape Town, no.

• The title was changed to Houston We Have A Problem

Archived