Has anyone else noticed that they haven't made any progress on the "crown" in about two months? The rest of the building appears to be complete, "skin"-wise, but that stupid crown is still just sitting there all skeleton-like and creepy. What gives?

Yes, I've noticed that, too. I drive by it every day and can't help but wonder if (1) they had structural design problems, (2) they're changing their minds now that they see how odd it looks, or (3) they are caving in to the "robot" comments here on HAIF and are modifying the look.

It does seem to be WAY behind compared to the rest of the building!

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, I've noticed that, too. I drive by it every day and can't help but wonder if (1) they had structural design problems, (2) they're changing their minds now that they see how odd it looks, or (3) they are caving in to the "robot" comments here on HAIF and are modifying the look.

It does seem to be WAY behind compared to the rest of the building!

maybe they're adding a beacon? :)

Aaaaaaaarms!

• 4 weeks later...
Think there was a problem with the fact the windows they ordered didn't fit. That's just a hood rumor though, so who knows.

I'm not sure that's the case. From what I've seen over the past month, it looks like they've been welding the metal for the framework from the lowest floors of the crown upaward. The design shows spaces small enough for a number of smaller windows to be placed in the triangular patterns. There is also a crane or some piece of equipment that's been installed on the east side of the main roof.

It also appears that they've been filling in the "fins" around the crown, starting on the south side.

I took a few photos of the activity yesterday. Surprised to see they were working up there as early as they were (8 AM). I'll post them when I'm back on my computer.

Has anyone else noticed that they haven't made any progress on the "crown" in about two months? The rest of the building appears to be complete, "skin"-wise, but that stupid crown is still just sitting there all skeleton-like and creepy. What gives?

I think it's just taking a long time to install all of the electronics that will be the robot's brain. I picture it like the beginning of this music video.

One compelling phenomena is the ongoing construction of the nearby Westin. It's progressing now to the point where it is distracting you from Robot Tower. I actually think the Westin's superior design might be such that it actually improves Robot Tower's overall appearance, the crown not withstanding.

One compelling phenomena is the ongoing construction of the nearby Westin. It's progressing now to the point where it is distracting you from Robot Tower. I actually think the Westin's superior design might be such that it actually improves Robot Tower's overall appearance, the crown not withstanding.

:lol::lol::lol:

Ah, I should have clarified that one. I took that pic behind the Shipley's at Blalock & Gaylord and zoomed in to the max setting.

Any idea when they're going to finish? Seems like it's taking a long time to give this thing it's head.

• 2 weeks later...
Good point. The newest member of the Protectobots maybe?

Before it did seem like an old 1950's refrigerator. Now it's like a huge orange juicer for Godzilla or other giant monsters like him. Imagine that top part spinning around.

22643255.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
For those that are interested in viewing the memorial hermann tower building and crown lights at night NOW! here they are........... https://secure1.mhhs.org/memorialhermanntower/home.html

Very cool. I have to say, though, the little cars moving around in the picture totally freaked me out at first; I thought I was seeing things. ^_^

Archived