• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to think of it as a dropping of a giant construction bird. Just landed there, pinched one out and flew off.

Seriously, though. Except for my last insanely inane remark, I'm going to withhold judgment until it's complete.

• 2 weeks later...
it appears in the new rendering that they omitted the glass on the four edges of the box part...I think that would at least play off the crown and help it blend in with the rest of the building...although I guess I shouldn't say anything until the building is complete, then I can judge it all I want :P

I would be dissapointed if they decided against the glass skirts on the corners. I felt that really pulled it all together. The top corners were not chamfered, if you look closely at the old rendering, the glass appears to be a skirt draped over the edges. I'm still hoping that they add them.

^^^^

Do they still plan on building the tower to the left of it?

Yep, it's allready well underway.

Like most of you, i think the crown looks off kilter and doesn't really fit with the overall statement of the building. I was in Houston for the New Year's festivities and drove by many construction sites; Hermann-Memorial being one of them. I am impressed with its size considering the location (yet, another business center cropping up somewhere NOT downtown...cool)

BUT, IMO, the building is too squatty (is that a word?) :lol: and big for such a small crown. I am not sure why the crown did not cover the entire top or at least look proportionate to it. Anyone know the method behind this madness? Also, i am glad they are building the highrise next to it. Maybe, JUST MAYBE, it will all mesh together once everything around it is built.

i am keeping my fingers crossed. Still, it is SO GOOD to be home (even for a mere week) ,and i was jazzed seeing all the construction in H-Town. I really miss her.

Cheers.

m. B)

'Freeway architecture' taken to its conclusion.

You know how when you are watching the semi come up on you on the left you tend to unconsciously veer toward the left lane?

LOL.

My humble thoughts (as an architect) for it being off center are that it is meant to appear as a continuation of the glass column up the front of the building. Thus, if you would, the stucco would be a hand grasping a large blue straw for example, and the straw terminates just above the hand. I dunno, maybe, I'm just grasping at straws.

If you look at the glass portion as a cylinder, it wouldn't be centered across the depth of the building, geometrically it makes sense the way it is.

LOL.

My humble thoughts (as an architect) for it being off center are that it is meant to appear as a continuation of the glass column up the front of the building. Thus, if you would, the stucco would be a hand grasping a large blue straw for example, and the straw terminates just above the hand. I dunno, maybe, I'm just grasping at straws.

If you look at the glass portion as a cylinder, it wouldn't be centered across the depth of the building, geometrically it makes sense the way it is.

Ok, Is the glass cylinder going to be included? I didn't seem to see it from my angle.

m. uhhhh, nevermind. Just saw a construction photo of it.

Aggie engineering? :D

I'm still ok with the building, thinking that the rest of the glass and the finished crown will look good. I'm just happy we have some kind of risk-taking design out there. We've build far too many unimaginative buildings in this town in recent years, and taking a chance like this building is welcomed in my book.

This isn't risk-taking, it's just a bad design, which is really no surprise. This is that 'mediocre tone' that's been set in Houston for the past 15 years. Deciding to add a crown was a step in a different direction, which I can actually respect, but the design is far from stellar (Did those 'Mercer' people, EDI, design this building?). Such a shame since this buidling will be in such high profile.

I was wondering why they were putting a water tower on the roof of this thing.. Just now read this thread with the pics..

Crown == BLING!

Get some spinner wheels while you're at it.. good god that's awful..

Well, we now have a strong contender for ugliest highrise built in Houston in the last decade. Seriously, I think this might be worse than the Mercer. How could Memorial Hermann approve something like this? 500 feet of awful...

Went down Gessner yesterday and all I can say is... This thing is horrible. I don't know that I would say it's as bad as the Mercer (at least it's view from the south) but it's pretty damn bad. As I mentioned before, the board that approved this thng should be slapped, and hard.

HORRIBLE.

This thing looks cheap and the off-centered top looks so odd when driving down I-10 heading West.

This thread needs to be moved to the crater section ASAP.

While it is true that this is freeway architecture taken to its logical conclusion - features oriented to the roadway and no more detailed than will be legible from a thousand feet away at sixty mph - I finally thought of the perfect answer to all the people wondering why it's off-center:

"Because they're going to build a twin right across the freeway!"

While it is true that this is freeway architecture taken to its logical conclusion - features oriented to the roadway and no more detailed than will be legible from a thousand feet away at sixty mph - I finally thought of the perfect answer to all the people wondering why it's off-center:

"Because they're going to build a twin right across the freeway!"

OH NO! but then where would people store their extra crap if they tore down the storage center to build something more "urban" :P ....oh and btw to all the haifers(although you probably won't care) I got an internship/job at a design firm who's major client is guess who?!~ MEMORIAL HERMANN....so I know secrets that you don't know! hehe

OH NO! but then where would people store their extra crap if they tore down the storage center to build something more "urban" :P ....oh and btw to all the haifers(although you probably won't care) I got an internship/job at a design firm who's major client is guess who?!~ MEMORIAL HERMANN....so I know secrets that you don't know! hehe

Cool, good going. Say, moderators, can we change the name of this thread to "Memorial City complex, I-10 @ Gessner"? It's transitioning to talking about phases other than the tower now, and it was never at BW8 to begin with. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I drove by this thing for the first time yesterday. This place really sticks out, kind of like Anadarko's in The Woodlands.

And...I actually kind of like it. I don't think the pictures really do it justice. The color of the glass looks really good and goes w/ the rest of the building well. And the ornament on top, I think it will blend well w/ the rest of the building once completed. Just my opinion.

I drove by this thing for the first time yesterday. This place really sticks out, kind of like Anadarko's in The Woodlands.

And...I actually kind of like it. I don't think the pictures really do it justice. The color of the glass looks really good and goes w/ the rest of the building well. And the ornament on top, I think it will blend well w/ the rest of the building once completed. Just my opinion.

I agree completely, I think when the entire site is complete it will be quite nice. Not to mention the effects it's already having on the other side of the freeway. Many of the buildings are finally being refaced, we may have the nicest Wendy's known to man.

I actually drove on on Gessner yesterday (in heavy rain, so traffic was crawling) and as I was coming south from I-10 I was stunned to see a structure that looked like it might be a future skywalk (I know we talked about it briefly on here) on the mall side.

As I looked over to the Hospital, I noticed the vertical pillars that seemed matching the lines (more or less) and seemed to confirm this.

I was super early for an appointment so I pulled into the mall (Damn! I forgot my camera!) and as I got closer, I noticed the facade of the mall was well...a fake, complete with fake windows (Yes, I'm at the very top of my eloquence today, its Saturday.) that seemed to cover (DUH!) way for the walkway to directly hit the mall.

I'll try to meander my way back there this weekend to take a few pics.

Archived