Attached photo shows the crew a week and a half ago, working on the eighth floor. It was a beautiful day.

My parents and I went and had lunch at Triple A on Airline in the Heights, bought fruit at the wholesale market there, and checked out the new Houston Architecture Center in Bayou Place downtown - and the wondrous live oak out front. Enjoy [the picture]. I urge you to, when you can, partake of all of the above as well.

Thank you so much for the update.

I am going to post that as a immbedded photo as well.

2qk3syx.jpg

We always appreciate it when we get these kind of updates.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another forumer, Boris, posting photos yesterday from a Hobby to Love Field (two great airports) roundtrip, included this shot.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i222/iss...toDallas070.jpg

It appears they're only on the thirteenth floor, which is disappointing, but I haven't seen the tower in person lately and he didn't name the actual date of his trip, so it could be dated.

That photo is very current! I work at Memorial City Plaza - the three glass office buildings right behind Memorial City Mall. I look out over the mall and get to watch the construction on that building everyday. They are currently working on the 13th floor. I have seen both cranes increase in height once. Pretty impressive!!

That photo is very current! I work at Memorial City Plaza - the three glass office buildings right behind Memorial City Mall. I look out over the mall and get to watch the construction on that building everyday. They are currently working on the 13th floor. I have seen both cranes increase in height once. Pretty impressive!!

Actually that photo is a number of weeks old. As you said, they are currently on floor 13.

Yes that photo was probably from the crane jacking event we had about 3-4 weeks ago.

Hey PRGirl-

If this is one of your firm's projects, please get the official heights for us skyscraper geeks. It needs to be updated on several sites as I assume with the crown it will easily break the 500 foot marker!

Hey PRGirl-

If this is one of your firm's projects, please get the official heights for us skyscraper geeks. It needs to be updated on several sites as I assume with the crown it will easily break the 500 foot marker!

I don't have the official height in feet yet, but I do know that it is going to be 34 stories, not 35 and will be 346,000 SF

The official name is The Tower, MetroNational Memorial City Healthcare Campus

Below is the project information:

A new 34-story medical office building enhances the Memorial Hermann Memorial City Campus

• 1 month later...

Let's see, since last update, the announcement of the Main/Walker/Rusk/Fannin tower downtown and Museum Tower in Dallas inch this a ways farther on down the list of projects going on in Texan cities. It would be nice to know who to ask about whether any official height has been blueprinted for this strange tower.

• 4 weeks later...

11 April - eight floors in place

13 June - thirteen floors in place

8 August - nineteen floors in place

Tonight, I drove over there after the Eco Cities public forum at the Museum of Fine Arts auditorium, because I hadn't been able to see it on the skyline yet on my way into town; however, I found that they are pouring the columns to reach the twentieth floor, so this is coming along quickly all of a sudden. This is about three hundred feet up, now. It would be reaching the surface in the Med Center skyline about now. Texas Children's is also planning a major campus in West Houston. Hopefully these projects will actually allow the Med Center to keep doing more and more of what it makes the most sense to do in the nucleus of the medical community.

Does anyone know if Memorial City is considered part of the Energy Corridor? I have seen the map of the EC, but it seems to stop short of the former Town&Country area and MC. By the by, is the former T&C going to be called City Centre??

Because of the major freeway construction, i have avoided travelling down I-10 for the past year and a half when i visit here in Houston. BUT, my curiosity got the best of me and i took a trip from The Grand Parkway and I-10 all the way to the Galleria area. I was so jazzed at the development, i almost had to change my shorts. (yeah, i am a dork like that....oh well)

Besides the new 35 storey medical/administrative tower, does anyone know if there is to be other highrises built in that area. Maybe some condos etc.? I did look up Houston development, and saw a TON of projects, but did not know in what stages they were.

m. B)

I believe that there was some confusion between T&C and the downtown rendering, so I'm going to confirm that they were both tentatively called City Centre. Along that line, I have heard a number of times that Memorial City is the geographic center of Houston.

Much as some people will disagree, I have every happiness that Houston didn't, like Chicago, funnel everything into one critical mass.

Much as some people will disagree, I have every happiness that Houston didn't, like Chicago, funnel everything into one critical mass.

I'm with you strickn'. I love that Houston has multiple "centers". That was the thing that made my mouth drop open the first time I visited. I had never seen it to the extent and size that Houston did it. I say continue, but with some sort of rail connections :).

Anyway, this building is already clearly visible just past the Memorial Toll Plaza headed North even at 19 floors. When it reaches the complete 35 stories, with the crown, it will be like a beacon to the west side.

^^^ Same here. As i have said in past posts, one of the things i find somewhat unique to Houston (in its extent...i know places like Atlanta share a similar setup) is the several business centers or mini- DTs so to speak. LA is sort of like that, but it is SO spread out, that only a view from a high hill captures the urbanity of DT, Century City and the Wilshire District.

i envy our grandchildren 100 yrs from now who get to see all these business centers merge into one vast megapolis. There is a sci-fi novel i read some years ago (and have spent about 15 minutes trying to look for the title to no avail) which takes place in Houston about 1000 years from now. The cover was awesome! It showed continuous highrises from the DT area all the way past UT and MT. It was cool because they incorporated some current buildings so the viewer would know it was Houston.

Anyway, back to topic. Is there a current highrise i can compare with the future MH Tower so i can get a visual height perspective?

m. B)

Great news that this tower has reached the 20th floor. I need to get over there and check it out, but you never know with that Katy Fwy when it is closed. :angry2:

I'm with Velvet & strikn on Houston's multiple skylines as being awesome. I had to come in from Baytown and took the 610 Loop North up to 59 and exited downtown and that view is most remarkable. It looks like you are seeing three different cities ... very impressive (check it out sometimes). I can't wait for BLVD Place and River Oaks District to get going as well.

I was coming back from Dallas earlier this week, and you can see this thing from about Blalock (I don't really remember where I was, so it could have been before that). This thing is massive nonetheless.

Well, for sort of a disappointing comparison, since the building stands in the shadow of Transco, I can tell you that it won't be as tall as Marathon Oil Tower, the brown one on San Felipe.

Yeah but when keeping scale in mind the memorial herman will appear massive as it has no competition around it.

I was so jazzed at the development, i almost had to change my shorts. (yeah, i am a dork like that....oh well)

me too. i'm jazzed to see the construction shots (thank you channeltwonews), but i cannot get that vegas-like rendering out of my head. hopefully, they've toned it down and the initial renderings were conceptual.

me too. i'm jazzed to see the construction shots (thank you channeltwonews), but i cannot get that vegas-like rendering out of my head. hopefully, they've toned it down and the initial renderings were conceptual.

Yes, i hope that rendering is a FANTASTICAL concept and not close to the real thing; otherwise, it is going to be a joke. Not only will it stand out because of location, it is also going to be too flashy and glitzy for anything this side of LV or AC. Good grief! Maybe some highrises going up in what used to be Town and Country will offset it if it is too hideous. :lol:

I really am looking forward to an ariel shot of that entire corridor around, say, 2010 from the GP all the way to MC. It should be awesome.

m.

Archived