• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It does look kind of odd, but not awful. I'm actually kind of digging the giant robot look. They definitely need to add a robot face on that crown! Arms would be cool too...

robotkt4.th.jpg

Ahhh, Let's just hope it doesn't become possessed with the spirit of ZULE and stomp through the city like the Stay-Puff man.

It does look kind of odd, but not awful. I'm actually kind of digging the giant robot look. They definitely need to add a robot face on that crown! Arms would be cool too...

robotkt4.th.jpg

I wouldn't be opposed to if it it would clear out traffic accidents and disabled cars within its reach.

LOL. good job Jax.

Does anyone know how tall the highrise next to it will be? AND, is the original render the final one of it?

m. B)

Right now the structure going up is a parking garage. Not sure if the original building (I think it was a hotel) from the rendering is sitting on top of this garage or not. I'm assuming it is.

• 2 weeks later...
The crown should have been big enough to be centered in the middle of the building, and still reach the north and south side edges. That would have been nice.

Sorry KingKirby, all I saw was your icon and what you said.

av-1167.jpg

I am guessing the crack reaches the north and south sides too. :)

Regarding the building, the crown is connected to the front glazing. The back does not have the same treatment, so it being centered does not really matter to me anymore, it looks pretty fly.

More crowns people!

I saw this thing from the Beltway at 290 on Friday. Looks pretty damn massive and really sticks out. I like the way it looks from that far away, but the closer you get and see that crown...

Well, I'm going to drive by it in about an hour, so I am curious on how it looks now.

<sob>

I miss my (crappy) camera.

</sob>

Its coming along. According to the CIO of Memorial Herman, that one building is just part of the puzzle, not the whole burrito. I'm wondering if that means more towers.

I think that is part of the puzzle. Are the neon lights still on at night? Also what is going on just west of the tower by the garage?................could that be another piece of the puzzle.

Nope, no neon lights anymore. I've had my camera in the car ever morning, however the things that I think are the "light strips" have been installed on each side of the blue glass column and two un the center of the column. To the west, I was wondering the same thing. Someone, a long time ago told me it was a parking garage but it sure doesn't look like one.

I drive by the building every day - I have not seen the neon lights in a while (and I did see them a while back). To the East of the building (between the building and Gessner) is a new hotel going up (they are working on the third floor right now). It is a Shearaton. The crosswalk is already up across Gessner - my thought is that it will connect to the Sheraton. So, in order to get to the mall from the new tall building you will have to walk through the hotel first. To the West of the new 35 story building is a parking garage. The parking garage is being constructed between the old, original Memorial City Hospital that faces I-10 and I-10 itself. This is where the traffic for the new building will be directed.

• 3 weeks later...

"102_0962.jpgThe 102_0959.jpg102_0959.jpg

Westin Houston, Memorial City a 250-room new-build hotel, will be located within the Gateway Development -- a sub-development within Memorial City that will also includes a new 900,000 square foot medical office tower, restaurants, and shopping. Hotel guests will rejuvenate and escape from the stresses of their daily lives with the help of Westin's renewing signature amenities such as The Westin Heavenly Bed®, Heavenly Bath® and Westin WORKOUT® powered by Reebok fitness center. A 65-unit Westin Residences will be built on top of the hotel and will be accessible to owners via a separate entrance and elevator." SOURCE: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.

the westside of houston is booming unlike anything i've seen.

No joke.Every week almost it seems a new project is announced. Density in West Houston is arriving soon. I'm really kind of shocked to see if keep pace with Uptown construction. Not the same upscale condo towers, but the same amount of construction. BUt who knows, maybe the condo towers will hit here one day too.

What are in the windows of that Papa Joe's. It appears to be a person, then a cat and something else in the third one. Surely these are painted on?? I think it looks cool.

Archived