according to this article, there seems to be a need in West houston (which they call the geologic center of the city, believe it or not) that will be completed in 2010, at which the old hospital will be vacated and renovated.

should make traffic fun there for a couple of years! Especially when you consider the various ramps to/from bw8 and I-10 are to be demolished in the near future.

I look forward to this being comleted, though. Should make for an excellent addition to the city.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
according to this article, there seems to be a need in West houston (which they call the geologic center of the city, believe it or not) that will be completed in 2010, at which the old hospital will be vacated and renovated.

should make traffic fun there for a couple of years! Especially when you consider the various ramps to/from bw8 and I-10 are to be demolished in the near future.

I look forward to this being comleted, though. Should make for an excellent addition to the city.

I can't stand liars...especially in the non-profit sector. Too many of them.

They are building this thing for one reason only: this is Houston's demographic sweet spot for hospitals. The residents of 77024 (the fourth wealthiest zip code in the U.S.) are less likely to default on their healthcare loans and a disproportionate amount of the population in Memorial is 55 or older. It is a financial decision and that is the extent of it.

It has very little (if anything) to do with going where the people are.

Wow. This thing broke ground today! Talk about flying under the radar. I hadn't even heard of the possibility.

This will be HUGE. Here's a small rendering. Looks like it will have quite a crown too. This should be over 500 feet tall when all is said and done. Enormous!

mhtower.jpg

I want to see a source on this thing breaking ground today.

I also want to see a source for 77024 being the fourth wealthiest zipcode in the U.S. Msn.com did the top 10 wealthiest zipcodes in the U.S., and they were all in Southern California or New York.

I also want to see a source for 77024 being the fourth wealthiest zipcode in the U.S. Msn.com did the top 10 wealthiest zipcodes in the U.S., and they were all in Southern California or New York.

Source was a coworker. Will check with him tomorrow.

How in the world did a comapny like Anslow Baily Construction Ltd land a project like this? Hermann has a select group of Contractors they like to use and I do not remember a $700,000 a year volume housing Contractor being on the list.

Memorial Hermann, the largest Houston-area hospital group, is working with a Houston-based real estate firm to build a new 35-story tower at the hospital's Memorial City campus.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/mem...ws/4052304.html

I'm curious how this would impact the neighbourhood, specifically the houses nearby...

(Sorry, I intended to post this under the "Memorial City Mall" topic. Don't know how to delete and re-post.)

Memorial Hermann, the largest Houston-area hospital group, is working with a Houston-based real estate firm to build a new 35-story tower at the hospital's Memorial City campus.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/mem...ws/4052304.html

I'm curious how this would impact the neighbourhood, specifically the houses nearby...

(Sorry, I intended to post this under the "Memorial City Mall" topic. Don't know how to delete and re-post.)

It's all good. You must of just gone under new topic instead of reply. No biggy one of the moderators will fix it.

Kinda reminds me of the Frost Bank Building in Austin with the crown on top. The Memorial Hermann tower will be 35 stories, though, while the Frost Bank tower is only 33. So to put this in perspective, this building would likely be the tallest building in downtown Austin if it were built there!

With this and new one being topped in the Med. Center, Houston will surely have a place in "Medical Architecture" ;). Or atleast a top spot in the Tallest Hospitals in the world.

Who knows, we might actually make a name for ourselves... other then to do with Space, Enron, Bayous, Hurricanes, and such.

I believe this will be the tallest Hospital in the world, I think the title currently belongs to Guy's Tower in London Town.

Edit*: Wait, this project is going up $335 million? Didn't some company buy Heritage Plaza for $130 or $170 (million)? I guess it is cheaper to occupy an older building, then build a new one.

Wow, I used to work on Hermann Projects and never saw this building in their master plan. Who is the Architect, and the Contractor for this Project?

From http://www.globest.com/news/634_634/houston/147419-1.html

Locally based Morris Architects designed the new tower while another local firm, Kirksey Architecture, is teaming with the regional office of Chicago-headquartered Perkins & Will Inc. for interior designs. Anslow-Bailey Construction Ltd. of Houston is the general contractor.

Edit*: Wait, this project is going up $335 million? Didn't some company buy Heritage Plaza for $130 or $170 (million)? I guess it is cheaper to occupy an older building, then build a new one.

Yeah, not only is it a matter of depreciation as a result of aging and a weaker market for general office space (and particularly poor prospects for Heritage Plaza), but the cost of new medical office construction is considerably higher.

Love the design of this building if it's the actual design. I'm so glad it's not a 35 story simple rectangle. Could quality designs be making a comeback to Houston?

I'm also thrilled it has a crown. I've wanted to see a spire or a crown somewhere on the west side for some time now.

Ok, so we have the Top hat with Center Point Energy Plaza, The Mayan Temple with Heritage Plaza, The Crown with The Royalton at River Oaks... this would be a 4th where the top is the focal point, no?

No. The new Memorial Hermann Medical Plaza at Fannin and McGregor

tmc_mhmp_rendering.jpg

Ok, so we have the Top hat with Center Point Energy Plaza, The Mayan Temple with Heritage Plaza, The Crown with The Royalton at River Oaks... this would be a 4th where the top is the focal point, no?

...not to mention Williams Tower, St. Luke's Tower, the Gulf Building, the Neils Esperson Building, the Bank of America building, the Exxon Building, the (newer) old Enron Building, Fulbright Tower, and the St. Joseph tower. I'm sure that there are more that I'm forgetting, but each of them has a crown of sorts.

Source was a coworker. Will check with him tomorrow.

He sourced Wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt. It may be that how "wealthiest" is defined is just screwy (i.e. per capita, average, median, household income multiplied by the number of households, etc.).

In any case, the greater Memorial area still has a profoundly lucrative demographic as far as a hospital would be concerned.

Link

...not to mention Williams Tower, St. Luke's Tower, the Gulf Building, the Neils Esperson Building, the Bank of America building, the Exxon Building, the (newer) old Enron Building, Fulbright Tower, and the St. Joseph tower. I'm sure that there are more that I'm forgetting, but each of them has a crown of sorts.

I meant where the (very) top is the most interesting part of the building. Bank of America has it at 3 slopes, not making the top distinct. And the Fulbright Tower's "Chevron" Logo is not exactly a crown.

I'm skeptical about the Williams Tower, because my eyes tend to look at the top/middle where it cuts back, not the brown top.

But I'll give you the Esperon Building, 1400 Smith St., Chase Bank Building, and Exxon.

Archived