1940 Air Terminal Museum At 8325 Travelair St.

I wonder how many people here are aware of the work that's being done to restore Houston's original 1940 Air Terminal? This is that wonderful old three story white art deco building on the other side of Hobby Airport from the current terminal. It's the one with the control tower bubble on the roof.

http://www.1940airterminal.org/

It was designed by the same architect who designed Houston City Hall and some other public buildings in the late 1930s. Unfortunately, it was closed, abandoned, and boarded up when the larger terminal facing Airport Blvd was built in the mid 1950s.

Fortunately for us, in recent years, the Houston Aeronautical Heritage Society, with help from Historic Houston, have worked tirelessly to raise the money and do the grunt work of cleaning up and restoring this beautiful old relic. Here's a link to Historic Houston's website, with some photos of the terminal and the work they're doing. In those days it was called Houston Municipal Airport.

http://www.historichouston.org/newSite/lan...ks/virtual.htm#

The work is ongoing, and there's still much to be done, but they've progressed to the point where they now have an aviation museum on the ground floor. It has a lot of Houston aviation memorabilia and priceless old photos of Houston as it was in the 40s and 50s. Walking through the door is like walking back in time, and it's a great way to spend an afternoon. I highly recommend it to everyone who enjoys learning about the history of this town.

I wonder how many people here are aware of the work that's being done to restore Houston's original 1940 Air Terminal?

One of the "community" channels on cable often plays a program on

that terminal. It's often shown with other videos, such as ones of the

rebuilding of the Conny that is at Kansas City. They also have shown a

old video taken of Auther Godfrey while he was piloting an Eastern

Airlines Conny back in the 50's. It's kinda funny in parts of it.

They often show a in-cockpit video of the first flight of the KC Conny

after they rebuilt it. I have the Houston air terminal show recorded

on my puter, but the file size is a tad big to pass around... :(

MK

• 1 month later...

Bumping.

I was at the 1940 Airterminal tonight for a group function.

What an amazing building and how blessed we are that she's still standing. The plans for the continued restoration will truely make this a showplace of preservation in Houston. I encourgage everyone interested in architecture to go see building in person.

Also every 3rd Saturday they host Wings & Wheels where old cars and planes are on display for visitors to tour and touch. That event is $10 for adults and only $5 for kids and includes lunch. Proceeds help fund the restoration.

Go check it out for yourself if you haven't already. There are so few places like this in Houston.

drew coats and gary evans have been working on this for some time. these guys are very involved in the woodlands community as well.

i'm excited to see how well this is coming along.

more info

Coats & Evans supports the aviation community through a variety of philanthropic endeavors such as:

The Houston Aeronautical Heritage Society

The Houston Aeronautical Heritage Society operates Houston's original art-deco air terminal as the 1940 Air Terminal Museum, a new civil aviation museum. The 1940 Air Terminal Museum is the centerpiece for an aggressive, creative educational outreach program sends volunteers into schools in Houston and rural Texas to use civil aviation heritage to inspire young people. The Houston Aeronautical Heritage Society is a 501©(3) nonprofit corporation founded to research, promote and preserve the rich aeronautical heritage of Houston and Southeast Texas. Coats & Evans, P.C. is a major donor to the 1940 Air Terminal Museum. Drew Coats is the president and chairman of its board of directors. Gary Evans is a vice president and director

Great, the same guys responcible for city hall?

I believe him to be the single reason Phillip Johnson's Pennzoil Place (1&2) are praised so much.

... Its a joke, because his buildings are very boxy.

They weren't considered "boxy" when they were built. At that time they were regarded as the epitome of art deco design. I think they're still very beautiful old buildings and completely representative of the times in which they were built. Sorry you don't like them. Can't please everybody.

• 1 year later...

I went to this place earlier this week.

VERY COOL place and a friendly staff.

It actually looked abandoned and I thought the museum failed so the building was shuttered again. There is an old Chevy firetruck parked near the enterance to the parking lot. It is also a gem but covered in rust and just taking a beating from the elements. They should restore it and roll it into the building to sit in the lobby once major work gets completed.

Right now, you can only have access to the lower left wing of the building. It costs $2 for each adult but well worth it. I had the whole place to myself that day. You can also walk outside the back door and sit to watch the planes land/take off.

I'm soooo glad they saved this building and are restoring it with a grassroots effort instead of corporate sponsorship that results in freakin TOTAL DISASTERS like what happend to JSC NASA and more recently to the San Jacinto Museum.

Great, the same guys responcible for city hall?

I believe him to be the single reason Phillip Johnson's Pennzoil Place (1&2) are praised so much.

... Its a joke, because his buildings are very boxy.

I think they are great buildings...classic designs that should be preserved....

What's cool as well, is that if there are enough staff on hand, you can get a "VIP" tour of the closed off parts. A couple of months ago, I was fortunate to go behind the glass and explore the unfinished areas, and got to go up in the old control tower. Talking about nostalgic! I imagined the controllers clearing Connies, DC-3's, Braniff BAC-111's and mant other types of aircraft to land. It was way too hot, so me and the guide were only up there for about 5 minutes. I highly recommend a visit. It's not always that you get to step back in time...........

What's cool as well, is that if there are enough staff on hand, you can get a "VIP" tour of the closed off parts. A couple of months ago, I was fortunate to go behind the glass and explore the unfinished areas, and got to go up in the old control tower. Talking about nostalgic! I imagined the controllers clearing Connies, DC-3's, Braniff BAC-111's and mant other types of aircraft to land. It was way too hot, so me and the guide were only up there for about 5 minutes. I highly recommend a visit. It's not always that you get to step back in time...........

Do you have contract info on who to see for a VIP tour?

I'd love to see the old tower and go up to the terrace. Oh, and what did the VIP tour cost?

The day I went there was one guy at the desk where you walk in and one guy outside doing some work on the plane nose cut that is in the parking lot.

I remember doing research on this building. I found some old Houston Post issues that talked about the terminal opening and they had posted the entire daily passenger manifest on the front page! The list was by name and destination or point of origin. They did this for about a week or two and then it moved further back in the newspaper. Finally, just like the Space Shuttle, the whole thing lost its shine. We barely know the names of any of the passengers anymore much less if it's even working. This is the way of things...

The 1940 Air Terminal is a great Art Deco building, one of my favorites in the city. Everything from the pleasing proportions of the lobby to the small decorative details is indicative of Finger's high quality work. If you ever get the chance, I definitely recommend taking the full tour. There are so many neat spaces in the building, and the tower has a fantastic view of the skyline.

I am glad to see that more people are starting to appreciate this building and the history around it. The people leading the restoration effort have grand plans, including the construction of Finger's unimplemented landscape plan for the building, as well as the restoration of some of the houses across the street. Surviving Art Deco airport terminals are very rare, so this building could end up becoming an aviation museum unlike any other in the country.

Do you have contract info on who to see for a VIP tour?

I'd love to see the old tower and go up to the terrace. Oh, and what did the VIP tour cost?

The day I went there was one guy at the desk where you walk in and one guy outside doing some work on the plane nose cut that is in the parking lot.

All you have to do is ask. You can only go if there is more than one person and of course if they are able to do so (i.e. they don't have to do museum stuff). All you have to do is sign a waiver. I would mention that you have heard you could do so. It also hleps if you go up there occasionally. You can also sign up to volunteer and then be assured going up there.

I will go back for sure!

Here are some photos of the place the day I went.

Exterior

DSCN2107.jpg

Main Hall

DSCN2100.jpg

Main Hall Floor

DSCN2099.jpg

How it once looked

DSCN2102.jpg

An Exhibit Area

DSCN2103.jpg

Sorry, no close up pics with me or my family in them....stalkers, crazy people, etc online prohibit this.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I am one of those hundreds (thousands?) of Houston artists, in my case a playwright/novelist, who unfortunately like all the others had to flee a city that has no use for its prodigious homegrown talent. Having got that jab in, now to the point:

Something like 20 years ago, when I was the aviation writer for the Chronicle, I was given a tip that the Houston Department of Aviation, with the blessing of the FAA, was planning to put the wrecking ball to the beautiful, though decaying, Art Deco/Streamline Moderne edifice that was the old air terminal at Hobby, dating back to the mid-1930s. The building was/is a stunning example of its kind, and the idea of knocking it down unthinkable.

So I used the power of my position to do a Sunday feature on the old building, and the plans to level it, and we got a small but powerful grassroots group going to save the terminal (by coincidence, not long after I moved to NYC, a similar fight was successfully waged to save the seaplane terminal at La Guardia, which was built in the same style at the same time). Preservation groups have to keep an eye on the Federal Aviation Administration, because none of these beautiful buildings can, in most cases, be destroyed without their blessing, which is always forthcoming.

Anyway, can someone fill this transplanted and homesick Houstonian in on what happened to "my" terminal and, since I think I saw it while taxiing in to Hobby last month, how it was saved and what is being done with it?

I miss all you Houstonians,

T.E. "Tom" Bell

New York City

Let not your heart be troubled.................as the post shows above, the old terminal is alive and kicking. My kids and I go there at least 4-5 times a year. The displays are limited in number at this time (but they have a lot of new stuff coming), but chock full of memories. On our most recent visit, they were getting the middle part or "main lobby" in shape. I have had the privelege of going up into the old control tower. The place is filled with nostalgia. I'm quite sure that your next visit to Houston will have a visit to the old terminal on the schedule. It is worth a lot more than the $2 admission (should be more IMO).

Let not your heart be troubled.................as the post shows above, the old terminal is alive and kicking. My kids and I go there at least 4-5 times a year. The displays are limited in number at this time (but they have a lot of new stuff coming), but chock full of memories. On our most recent visit, they were getting the middle part or "main lobby" in shape. I have had the privelege of going up into the old control tower. The place is filled with nostalgia. I'm quite sure that your next visit to Houston will have a visit to the old terminal on the schedule. It is worth a lot more than the $2 admission (should be more IMO).

You have all filled this old Houstonian's heart with joy. And yes, the next time I come, I will visit the old terminal. It's roof was caving in last time I was in it. Also, given my current job, I may be able to help find some exhibits for the museum. I will get to work on that. Does anyone know who the contact is at the museum?

Also, it crossed my mind, what with the film business picking up in Houston (or so I hear up in this cold, hard city), methinks that terminal would make a perfect spot for a period airport location.

Thanks to you both for giving me this information. So a building can be saved in Houston! That alone is enough for celebration.

Best wishes,

T.E. Bell

You have all filled this old Houstonian's heart with joy. And yes, the next time I come, I will visit the old terminal. It's roof was caving in last time I was in it. Also, given my current job, I may be able to help find some exhibits for the museum. I will get to work on that. Does anyone know who the contact is at the museum?

Also, it crossed my mind, what with the film business picking up in Houston (or so I hear up in this cold, hard city), methinks that terminal would make a perfect spot for a period airport location.

Thanks to you both for giving me this information. So a building can be saved in Houston! That alone is enough for celebration.

Best wishes,

T.E. Bell

Just email or call the museum. They have volunteers there every day they are open. You can also sign up to be a member. They are always looking for exhibit "stuff". I'm just as happy as you are they are preserving this landmark.

For those that don't make it over to the museum, there are a couple of display cases inside the current Hobby Terminal near the food court that have interesting period artifacts.

• 1 month later...
For those that don't make it over to the museum, there are a couple of display cases inside the current Hobby Terminal near the food court that have interesting period artifacts.

There is also a small display of the old Hobby Terminal memorabilia at the Hobby Hilton. One thing that caught my eye was a book that had the word Dogpatch in it. Failed to get the title & author.

I may have missed out on part of this topic but the other morning on NPR they were discussing some serious damage to this museum hangar or terminal from the recent storm. :o

Mentioned some garage or hangers door actually crushed a 1945 plane of some kind. I did not have time to hear the rest but maybe NPR has more info on the website?

HoustonAirTerminalMuseumHanger906JT.jpg

Maybe NPR has more info on the website?

Ask and ye shall receive. The damage isn't all that bad. Both the terminal's hangars have damage. One hangar door collapsed and damaged one of the antique airplanes, but it's not major. And the control tower bubble on the terminal roof had the plate glass windows blown out. Here's a link to the KUHF story you mention.

http://app1.kuhf.org/houston_public_radio-...s_id=1222361929

• 11 months later...

When I tell are friends I live in Park Place, they know where I am by the traffic circle at Park Place and Broadway or by how close we are to Hobby Airport. Below is some history about one of Houston’s first airports.

Check out http://www.1940airterminal.org/

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hobby Airport began service in 1927 as a private landing field in a 600 acre pasture known as W.T. Carter Field. The airfield was served by Braniff and Eastern Airlines. The site was acquired by the City of Houston and was named Houston Municipal Airport in 1937. The airport was renamed Howard R. Hughes Airport in 1938. Howard Hughes was responsible for several improvements to the airport, including its first control tower, built in 1938.The airport's name was changed back to Houston Municipal because Hughes was living at the time and regulations did not allow federal improvement funds foran airport named after a living person.

The City of Houston opened and dedicated a new air terminal and hangar in 1940.

post-8551-12532682234126_thumb.jpg

post-8551-12532682508834_thumb.jpg

post-8551-12532682906936_thumb.jpg

post-8551-1253268383719_thumb.jpg

post-8551-12532684854876_thumb.jpg

post-8551-12532685175635_thumb.jpg

post-8551-12532685711762_thumb.jpg

post-8551-12532685940272_thumb.jpg

post-8551-12532686162883_thumb.jpg

When I tell are friends I live in Park Place, they know where I am by the traffic circle at Park Place and Broadway or by how close we are to Hobby Airport. Below is some history about one of Houston’s first airports.

Check out http://www.1940airterminal.org/

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hobby Airport began service in 1927 as a private landing field in a 600 acre pasture known as W.T. Carter Field. The airfield was served by Braniff and Eastern Airlines. The site was acquired by the City of Houston and was named Houston Municipal Airport in 1937. The airport was renamed Howard R. Hughes Airport in 1938. Howard Hughes was responsible for several improvements to the airport, including its first control tower, built in 1938.The airport's name was changed back to Houston Municipal because Hughes was living at the time and regulations did not allow federal improvement funds foran airport named after a living person.

The City of Houston opened and dedicated a new air terminal and hangar in 1940.

Very interesting. Why is named Hobby? Shouldn't the county have named it Hughes after his death?

Archived