Fire Alarm Inspections I've Done In Downtown

Warwick

• 4 months later...
Guest KOKON Steel

I've heard in Oklahomo City and Dover, Delaware there have been cases of fake fire alarms. Yes, it's true.

There is a manufacturer who makes plastic toy fire alarms with a removable sticky-back to them. Several cases have been reported around (in addition to above) Tulsa, Baltimore, Albuquerque, Boulder, Dodge City, Amarillo, and Hot Springs, Arkansas.

What is happening is that due to the exorbanent cost of fire alarms and the wiring, building owners are hurriedly purchasing fake ones for inspections. These are not only for Fire Code inpsections but for ADA inspections, as well. ADAAG covers fire alarms.

Just wanted to give you a heads up buddy. Make sure when you inspect them, that they are wired to the wall, and fully working, and not just some fake plastic toy that is taken down whence you leave the building and the building owner is pointing out the window at you and laughing like Dr. Evil.

americans with disabilities

Being in the building business I have seen the massive expense that ADA renovations have cost building owners. I am all for equal facilities for all, but the cost to retro-fit a class A office building from old school to ADA acceptable can run anywhere from $20k - $80k. And that is per restroom. Imagine a 50 story building having to make these changes. Granted all these are not done at once, but it is a pretty large expense.

Being in the building business I have seen the massive expense that ADA renovations have cost building owners.  I am all for equal facilities for all, but the cost to retro-fit a class A office building from old school to ADA acceptable can run anywhere from $20k - $80k.  And that is per restroom.  Imagine a 50 story building having to make these changes.  Granted all these are not done at once, but it is a pretty large expense.

ha...the rockets' locker-room (in the new arena) had to be entirely ADA complient.

Guest KOKON Steel

American Dental Association????

I hope you are joking.

If not, you know nothing about the build environment, and its impact on mankind.

Besides, you are a NASCAR fan right? You aren't allowed to talk about dentistry, something about which you probably know nothing.

Later KOKhead

Archived