How did you find a buyer's agent?

Wide Eye

Does it matter whether an agent mainly works with buyers? Does the agent have to be an expert of the area a buyer is looking for? I guess the best way is through friends' referal, but their agents do not live in the area I'm interested in. What's your experience? Thanks!

Good questions and hopefully I can provide a good answer for you. First off I work for a builder and am a Real Estate Agent doing just a few transactions a year for friends.

Does it matter whether an agent mainly works with buyers? - An agent that mainly works with buyers will typiclly be a "new" agent. And yes it does matter since you will want a well rounded, wise, knowledgable realtor who can not only help find a home for you, get a good deal, but will also be thinking about selling the home for you in "x" years.

What area are you looking in? It is not a bad idea to have a realtor that specializes in the area your looking in since they will know what is going on in the neighborhood, price trends, history (flooding), etc.... however a good realtor period will have the contacts to get the information to secure your interests.

If I had to recommend a realtor I would send you over to RPS (Robert) here on HAIF. Why you ask? Well he is a full time agent and he knows his stuff. Check out the marketing he does on his listings and look at the quality of the pictures and a full 16 pictures too. Not just the minimum 6, numerous open houses, advertising on craigslist and other sites. Every realtor you will meet will tell you they are the best and they can get you the best deal but don't trust it. Look for the follow through and quality that agents such as Robert exhibit.

Good luck in your search for an agent and home,

Scharpe St Guy

Does it matter whether an agent mainly works with buyers? Does the agent have to be an expert of the area a buyer is looking for? I guess the best way is through friends' referal, but their agents do not live in the area I'm interested in. What's your experience? Thanks!

I started out in real estate as a buyer's agent, but now take listings as well. If I were you, I wouldn't concentrate so much on someone who only represents buyers, but on finding someone who's competent.

I have my ABR, which stands for Accredited Buyer's Representative. I would search for an agent who has those same credentials. Those are the agents who have represented at least six buyers and have training above and beyond the State's requirements.

As far as the area - I've shown in areas I didn't know a thing about and still managed to find my buyer a home that met their requirements. A good agent is going to do his/her footwork before getting in the car with her buyer.

It's not necessary for an agent to live in the area they work in. I live north of Houston, but have sold as far out as Pearland.

My advice: Pick someone you're comfortable with and who is competent.

Suzanne

Archived