East End/EaDo Real Estate

There must be some scary problems with that house at 44K in Broadmoor. At least there's carpet and not ceramic tile on the wood floors, it would appear.

I really like Broadmoor. It's still cheap, it's got snug neighborhood lines and is quietly going from ghetto to gold.

A friend who flips houses and knows the area looked at the house for 44K; he says it's a teardown. What are lots selling for in Broadmoor these days?

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have an agent submitting your offers? Have you gotten him or anyone from his office on the phone? Very strange!

Re:Elliot St.... I dunno. I just can't find the comps to justify 100k+ for that size house in Broadmoor right now. I like the area, but I gotta sell it to the bank with the comps :)

flipper

Does anyone know Will Clark? I have put 4 offers now on a property he has listed, not the one in Broadmoor and getting anything out of him is impossible. Not sure if he is trying to protect me for some odd reason because he knows something negative about the area or house or what. The property i'm speaking of has also been lowered in price 3 times since my initial offer which was full price.

Very frustrating but the extra time to take care of other projects will either expose a new home to bid on or a better price on the one i'm looking at.

Scharpe St Guy

ps... Flipper purchase that home in Broadmoor for $44,000. I'm sure you could beat the bank up on the price and do a great remodel.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi.

I was wondering if anyone had an update on the townhomes that will go up just East of the GRB on McKinney? I did a search but couldn't find anything.

The development, dubbed Townhomes on McKinney, is being built by City View Townhomes, and is at the corner of McKinney and Hutchins in old Chinatown. It is comprised of nine identical 2,300sf units priced between $335k and $369k. Price premiums depend on views. Three bedrooms, three and a half baths, and a two-car garage, for each.

MLS listing states:

This contemporary town home with a HUGE rooftop deck is in a gated community located just east of Downtown with breathtaking views. Finishes include hardwood floors, granite counter tops, under mount sinks, stainless steel appliances, and double pained windows. Roof deck hot tub ready gas and water lines. All three floors have balconies. Huge windows and great design will make this home very unique and enjoyable to live in. Model home available.FREE Membership to Direct Buy. Call for details.

The development, dubbed Townhomes on McKinney, is being built by City View Townhomes, and is at the corner of McKinney and Hutchins in old Chinatown. It is comprised of nine identical 2,300sf units priced between $335k and $369k. Price premiums depend on views. Three bedrooms, three and a half baths, and a two-car garage, for each.

Thanks. :)

I drove by there the other day and noticed a sign but didn't see any construction. I'm sure the views from the rooftop decks will be great. But it would be nice to see some more grocery stores and restaurants in that area.

Thanks. :)

I drove by there the other day and noticed a sign but didn't see any construction. I'm sure the views from the rooftop decks will be great. But it would be nice to see some more grocery stores and restaurants in that area.

Actually, the asian supermarket is right across the street. Randall's Midtown isn't too far away, either. As for restaurants, there are several good ones nearby. There is of course Kim Son, as well as District 7 Grill, Thelma's BBQ, Jenni's Noodle House, and and then a bit further out you have Ninfa's, Champ Burger, Mandola's Deli, Bohemio's, Kawonawon (*sp), and of course everything downtown. It certainly isn't Montrose yet, but it's slowly getting there. And even now, of what it does have, there's a pretty good selection.

Of course, I might be just a tad biased. I've got property in Eastwood.

Actually, the asian supermarket is right across the street. Randall's Midtown isn't too far away, either. As for restaurants, there are several good ones nearby. There is of course Kim Son, as well as District 7 Grill, Thelma's BBQ, Jenni's Noodle House, and and then a bit further out you have Ninfa's, Champ Burger, Mandola's Deli, Bohemio's, Kawonawon (*sp), and of course everything downtown. It certainly isn't Montrose yet, but it's slowly getting there. And even now, of what it does have, there's a pretty good selection.

That Randall's is great for midtown residents. I often notice more pedestrians walking into that Randall's than drivers pulling up in their cars; light rail and bus service is very convenient in that area as well. Unfortunately Old Chinatown and Townhomes on McKinney for that matter appears dead as far as grocery stores and food go. During weekdays it's relatively close proximity to the tunnels will give those residents some food options, but in the evening and on the weekends, residents of McKinney would probably have to get into their cars to get groceries or food.

Don't forget the Kroger on Polk, and Hun Kee on Emannuelle. There is also another small chinese supermarket in the area, but i cant remember the name. Ive been looking forward to those townhomes going up, but i havent seen any movement in over 6 months.

Yeah, I like the design (although the color scheme is a bit overwhelming), but the price point isn't yet very reasonable. I think that they'd move if the price came down just a bit.

...having said that, the land prices right in there have gone up so much that the developer might not have much flexibility. If they did, they might have more than just one floorplan.

Why didn't they stagger the little roof popup jobbies so that the back row of townhouses could have a view as well? Seems like it would be a simple change....except for possibly having to move the stairwell.

I'd have recommended making the ones in the back row a story taller so as to add some square footage and capture the view premium all at once.

Either that, or just copy the exact design and color scheme of the ones at Hutchins and Jefferson. They sold well.

Is it me or is the warehouse district/Old Chinatown areas seeing more infill construction than Midtown? Other than a couple of townhomes on the eastern edge of Midtown and the Edge, I'm not seeing much of anything. On the other hand, just driving along the elevated 59 near the GRB and looking east, you can see new construction on several blocks, including some warehouse to loft conversions.

Am I off?

Is it me or is the warehouse district/Old Chinatown areas seeing more infill construction than Midtown? Other than a couple of townhomes on the eastern edge of Midtown and the Edge, I'm not seeing much of anything. On the other hand, just driving along the elevated 59 near the GRB and looking east, you can see new construction on several blocks, including some warehouse to loft conversions.

Am I off?

No, you're on the money. Land in Midtown is so expensive that townhome developers have been priced out of the market. The downside is that growth is slower in Midtown (at least in terms of the land area developed per year, although not so much in terms of the number of units). The upside is that as growth comes, it is denser...and over the long haul, Midtown will be better for it.

I am very curious why people with an obvious interest in architecture would even consider buying a townhome. While there are certainly some that employ interesting and thoughtful design, the vast majority them are just horrific. They're almost anti-design!

Don't get me wrong... I am actually reasonably glad to see the new construction happening just east of the GRB. And even over in the Clinton/Jensen area. Mostly, those townhomes (or the single-family, gated blocks) are not displacing older construction. And I welcome the new residents - and am hopeful they will convince Kroger to clean-up their combat store on Polk/Cullen (note to Kroger: we're not all on WIC, you know! I'm glad you provide goods for these people, but I would appreciate a wine selection that extends beyond Boone's Farm).

But that doesn't mean I don't think they are the perhaps the most ugly things I've seen.

So help me out. What's the allure of these structures to the design-conscious?

Glad you raised this very common question.

I too wonder why most people wonder off the premise of this website/forum but I imagine its expected as I too cant help but voice concerns.

To answer the question I can only state that proximity & location, location is what we aspire for. There has been so many article written about the downright ugliness of these structures. Take a glance at the horrible ones being placed within perfect view of 45 as you pass on the Pierce elevated looking towards Freedman's Town. YUUUUOOOGLY! The epitome of bad taste. Like the the Pink Flamingo's film stated "An exercise in poor taste" Those townhome's/condo's look just like tall expanded out houses. rest rooms, portables. The tin siding makes them look even worse! Just the other day there was media coverage of how they are making a huge mistake because the lots are too cramped. In emergencies police cant pass. You can shake hands with cars trying to go around you, that tight! I once attended a UH party years ago where the house caught fire & fire trucks simply could not get in because of all the parked cars and that was a regular street. The house was incinerated. Any time I see anything with TIN SIDING I just cringe (like that new coffee joint Lawndale/Wayside everyone loves) although I'm sure it is a nice place dont get me wrong. Money is what its all about. Truth? yes, yes, yes....rest my case.

Like them or not, the new townhomes are examples of current architecture and part of a diverse current style.

Sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees but we are in the midst of a certain style that will be appreciated by historians once enough time has passed.

Exterior-wise, I do like the "tin cans", especially when the Galvalume is balanced by something with the right color. I also like the ones that are composed of abstractly placed rectangles. I look at that style as unique and somewhat original. A lot of the stuff I see being built is unattractive though. Beautiful design is not, and has never been, a common commoditity. We also have to remember that architects are having to come up with designs that conform to multi-story living on small lots. Compared to their predecesors in NY, the Brownstones, these new townhouses lack ornamentation, which might make them appear to be cheap, or to some, minimalist, although cheap is probably more accurate. Affordability is a driver of design, especially in the "new urban" parts of larger cities, so this lack or ornamentation will also be appreciated in time when all of the reasons for it are understood and seen as part of the "urban renaissance" explosion. Hardiplank might be quite charming in 2100. :mellow:

As for interiors, we have a definite style that is prevalent and widespread that will definitely leave a mark in history. Open floor plans, stainless appliances, granite, high ceilings...the whole 2nd generation loft look.

I love the old homes but don't want to blind myself to the exciting time that I live in either.

It is hard to quantify the rate of change between censuses, but I know that things are starting to shift, and it seems like the shifts are accelerating. I know that a lot of it is spillover from people that have been priced out of Montrose and the Heights, and I envision that the next few years will leave the East End looking like a nacent artists' colony before things start yuppifying in earnest.

I look forward to the 2010 Census.

Wish I had seen this thread earlier...you make a great point.

The person that originated these may get upset but it has to be stressed (again)

I would more than welcome all and anyone that from anywhere as long as they know how to act as decent human beings. I dont care what ethnicity, religion, affiliation orientation as long as they respect the neighbors. Dream ?

Reality is, even though our area is now "typecast/stereotyped" and it is. All business's need to respect EVERYONE I mean English/German/Italian/Asian speaking people. We have no right to just cater to Spanish speaking clients. There are many threads here that touch on the discrimination non-Spanish speaking people we get in our area. We also discussed the terrible customer service we encounter on occasion. There are waitors/waitress's, clerks that dont care to assist because they dont want to TRY to assimilate or learn the native tongue. Analogy, if you were not invited to a party, intruded and complained about the food, music & crowd you would be totally out of line. I would get kicked out! If I went to France, I wouldn't expect everyone to cater to me. Thats insane. I for all practical purposes would focus on blending in.

Case in point, we know the crowd has changed more so than before but they still respect those that paid the taxes for the schools your kids now attend & the streets you drive on and walk on. Our parents and we paid dearly for decades for these basic amenities. They fought in wars and died to keep this America. I know for a fact that when 9/11 happended my sister and several of her friends ran to the schools to pick up the children and many of the Hispanic women said they were fleeing back "home" and that no kid of theirs was going to any war! So much for patriotism....

No matter how we turn the picture upside down, sideways...this latest crowd has become a burden, financial, insurance wise & crime rate wise.

In grade school all the way to HS, we knew a few kids that would enroll in our schools and their English was very limited. Within weeks we had them speaking/conversing fluently in English. By the time we met again at reunions you couldn't event tell they ever had an accent.

Assimilation its the only answer. When in Rome do as the Roman's do. What happended to that saying? Just being perfectly blunt & outspoken again. Someone has to do it.

Like Rodney King said "Can't we just all get along" (with LA burning down in the background). classic

No matter how we turn the picture upside down, sideways...this latest crowd has become a burden, financial, insurance wise & crime rate wise.

In grade school all the way to HS, we knew a few kids that would enroll in our schools and their English was very limited. Within weeks we had them speaking/conversing fluently in English. By the time we met again at reunions you couldn't event tell they ever had an accent.

There's too much money involved now. HISD is getting millions so they can offer free breakfast and lunch. They don't want to lose that. They are getting millions for bilingual ed. They don't wnat to lose that either. So some big entities won't rock the boat.

Guest andriasfault
Wish I had seen this thread earlier...you make a great point.

The person that originated these may get upset but it has to be stressed (again)

I would more than welcome all and anyone that from anywhere as long as they know how to act as decent human beings. I dont care what ethnicity, religion, affiliation orientation as long as they respect the neighbors. Dream ?

Reality is, even though our area is now "typecast/stereotyped" and it is. All business's need to respect EVERYONE I mean English/German/Italian/Asian speaking people. We have no right to just cater to Spanish speaking clients. There are many threads here that touch on the discrimination non-Spanish speaking people we get in our area. We also discussed the terrible customer service we encounter on occasion. There are waitors/waitress's, clerks that dont care to assist because they dont want to TRY to assimilate or learn the native tongue. Analogy, if you were not invited to a party, intruded and complained about the food, music & crowd you would be totally out of line. I would get kicked out! If I went to France, I wouldn't expect everyone to cater to me. Thats insane. I for all practical purposes would focus on blending in.

Case in point, we know the crowd has changed more so than before but they still respect those that paid the taxes for the schools your kids now attend & the streets you drive on and walk on. Our parents and we paid dearly for decades for these basic amenities. They fought in wars and died to keep this America. I know for a fact that when 9/11 happended my sister and several of her friends ran to the schools to pick up the children and many of the Hispanic women said they were fleeing back "home" and that no kid of theirs was going to any war! So much for patriotism....

Assimilation its the only answer. When in Rome do as the Roman's do. What happended to that saying? Just being perfectly blunt & outspoken again. Someone has to do it.

Like Rodney King said "Can't we just all get along" (with LA burning down in the background). classic

1) The bad customer service you get is not specific to whites with the obvious exception of employees' inability to speak English. Also obviously flawed but true is that people from Latin countries tend to bring their habits with them and, as it pertains to this topic, those habits are really not much different than many of the countries in Europe. If you go to a restaurant in Spain, France, or Germany you don't get the level of customer service you expect and get at an American establishment and employees can be downright rude. It's not better or worse but just different. The culture and rules and expectations are different. One example: La Victoria has great food but when you order, the ladies do not make eye contact, they usually forget the order, and they take forever to complete the order. I agree that this is not right but my point is that it is not directed at you or anyone specifically although it may feel that way. All of this is driven by folks not assimilating into the mainstream culture so I agree with you but wanted to clarify in hopes of stripping the negative emotions from the subject.

At the end of the day, it boils down to supply and demand. As long as businesses are profitable they will maintain the status quo and that may mean ignoring the voice of the minority because it has no significant impact on the bottom line. As the demographics (and the source of their dollars) change the attitudes and skill sets within those businesses will change.

Let me give you an example. I live in Idylwood and folks make all kinds of demands (no loud music, request specific items on the menu, etc.) from Cafe Flores but at the end of the day 80% of the customers that frequent that establishment are Hispanic. I am sure Cafe Flores wants to cater to the needs of such an affluent group like Idylwood residents but if those residents do not pump dollars into that establishment by eating there, in the long term my guess is that Cafe Flores will sell more tacos than Club sandwiches. It's basic math really.

2) In every society there are people, regardless of ethnicity, who are willing to fight for the values of that society and those who are not. There are tons of Hispanics who have fought in every major war in which the U.S. has participated and I am sure there are many who have opted not to do so. That is true for other ethnic/racial groups too. I don't have statistics to back up that claim but I base on what I have seen and read.

3) Everyone who works (even if it is under a fake social security#) helps to pay for the streets, roads, schools, libraries, etc. Even Hispanics help on this level. Stereotypically, you can make the argument that they pay less per person but you could also say that they are an increasing segment of the population in terms of sheer numbers and, therefore, the number of tax dollars from this base is continually increasing. In the case of undocumented workers they often do not benefit from the "freebies" because they choose to stay under immigration's radar. I am sure there are many who abuse the system but we would really have to look at the statistics - preferrably to be provided by an unbiased source.

4) As far at the burden, who knows but you could be right. It is likely tied to level of income, lack of formal education, cultural norms, etc. The sad reality is that Hispanics in America are less likely to graduate from High School than any other group. I am not making excuses but simply trying to offer insight. There are many differences between a traditional (or collective) society and a civil one. One of the main differences is that collective societies tend to focus on survival vs. advancement. When one is in such a mode he is driven to do certain things in order to stay alive which includes going to work at an early age. Although the intention is good, this becomes a vicious cycle where the person seeks to satisfy the immediate need at the expense of long term planning/benefits. In addition, there tends to be a loyalty to the clan (i.e. family) in exchange for protection. This is why stereotypical Hispanic families tend to stick together and form close bonds (at least seemingly so). Conversely, in a civil society the focus is on the individual and this explains why folks from this group value achievement, personal growth, self expression, etc. However, the down side is that divorce tends to be high and sibling relationships tend to be rough. Obviously, these are all stereotypes and there are many exceptions to the rule but it gives us a starting point for beginning to understand those around us. If we understand those around us we are less likely to stress over things that may seem unfair on the outside but, upon closer inspection, are driven by how each of us is hard wired in that crucial time between birth and 5 years of age. This "programming" sticks with us until the end. Often times what you may consider indecent is perfectly acceptable for a person of a different background. Again, I am not saying it is right. Assimilation, on the important levels, benefits everyone.

5) Regarding the crime, it is unacceptable and as it pertains to theft/burglaries, etc. it is often tied to the vicious cycle where folks don't advance but merely survive. Hungry people don't stay hungry for long.

• 1 month later...

http://www.har.com/1393436

I remember seeing this house on HAR for $55K at this time last year. It was in terrible shape, and it sat unsold for months. I considered buying it to re-do it, but the condition, combined with the fact that it sat on the market so long, caused me to think that it might have irreparable structural problems. I figured any potential buyers were going to demolish it, but the fact that it was priced over lot value at 55K was preventing this and causing it to sit unsold. When it finally sold, I figured that it was toast, either the victim of the bulldozer or a really cheesy remodel.

Anyway, I was really encouraged to see it on HAR again, especially at the price they're asking! I guess the East End really is turning around...

I saw that driving by the other day and thought the same thing. I drove on wondering if someone had plopped another house down. If there ever was a house and lot/location that said "tear me down", that seemed like it, and I figured something commercial would go in likely. I could see the potential but........I'm becoming preservationally pessimistic/realistic.

I've been told the person responsible for the reno is a resident and lover of Eastwood, and the entire East End thanks him for this example of what the possiblities are.

I saw that home as well and saw the crew over there working on it. Company I had never heard of before I think it was called something like Historic Bungalow Renovations or something along those lines. They did it QUICK and appears to be very well done. I too thought it was only minutes before it would be scraped by a new owner or heck even the city as it was across from a charter school. Anyhow if the owner is reading these posts... Well Done...!!!!

Scharpe St Guy

WOW!!!

I would never have guessed. I doubt that they'll get >$200k for it, as it is still a relatively small house and is on the wrong side of Eastwood, but I'm sure that they'll do well.

If they can give the neighborhood a good solid sale comp, it'll be a real shot in the arm.

Archived