East End/EaDo Real Estate

We still have a few issues to work with. BUt overall, satified with the builder. Unlike most builders i've read, they'll work with you. As for the floor plan, it's smaller than the intowns but better quality. you get alot of quality stuff as standard vs what you would get as an upgrade at intown. Plus a nice 42 inch plasma tv. i like the area. even though , if you mention it to a stranger, they'll be afraid to stop by. it's quiet. and its' a transitional neighborhood. From reading and researching, it's going to be a nice place to live. Not sure but if they redevelop the bayou into a san antonio riverwalk, i believe it's going to be a gold mine .

it'll take some time for retail to come in. but just wait.

I ended up going with In Town mainly because of their low end being more in my range than Juliet, who start at a higher price. That being said, I did like Juliet a lot and for an electronic geek like myself, the plasma almost did it for me emotionally (although rationally I did realize that is not a reason to buy a house). Still a beer drinker, so the wine cooler wasn't as much of a conern. Up to that point I had seen Juliet, In Town, HHN, urban living, and Perry of course. For the money and value, I thought Juliet and In Town were the two best. I like HHN, but they all seemed tad bit over priced, and their cheapest ones were in that area off of Washington and Bonner, which I liked the east end more. I'll be moving out of Clear Lake when I move in and I will actually appreciate the lack of block after block of strip malls and yet another nail shop, dry cleaner, CVS, dentist office. Quiet = good for now.

Whether or not it becomes a riverwalk or whatever they claim, I got into it thinking I will like the area regardless, meaning as long as some retail comes such as a new grocery store, a few little restaurants, and that new park they built over there being finished, that's all I care about. With downtown right there, there are a lot of options anyway.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I ended up going with In Town mainly because of their low end being more in my range than Juliet, who start at a higher price.  That being said, I did like Juliet a lot and for an electronic geek like myself, the plasma almost did it for me emotionally (although rationally I did realize that is not a reason to buy a house).  Still a beer drinker, so the wine cooler wasn't as much of a conern.  Up to that point I had seen Juliet, In Town, HHN, urban living, and Perry of course.  For the money and value, I thought Juliet and In Town were the two best.  I like HHN, but they all seemed tad bit over priced, and their cheapest ones were in that area off of Washington and Bonner, which I liked the east end more.  I'll be moving out of Clear Lake when I move in and I will actually appreciate the lack of block after block of strip malls and yet another nail shop, dry cleaner, CVS, dentist office.  Quiet = good for now. 

Whether or not it becomes a riverwalk or whatever they claim, I got into it thinking I will like the area regardless, meaning as long as some retail comes such as a new grocery store, a few little restaurants, and that new park they built over there being finished, that's all I care about.  With downtown right there, there are a lot of options anyway.

We saw the intownhomes and the saleperson there really sold us the area. However, the intowns just didn't do it for us. The lack of a yard and so close to each other gave us the decision to look into juliet homes.

youre right about the new park. it's actually soccer fields.

just found some news that the once contaminated 36 acre area a couple of blocks away has been sold to Fifth ward investments. so that's some good news. they said it'll take a couple of years to clean up the area.

It seems all the Juliet homes have sold out in the Ball Park landing subdivision which I was looking at. Too bad. Anyone here seen the plans for their newer subdivision?

I actually think that was one of their first phases. According to their web site, the Oxford Square which is in the same area has lots still available. I know they were buying lots left and right over there, so I doubt its anywhere near sold out except for in the first couple of phases.

Oxford Square

I actually think that was one of their first phases.  According to their web site, the Oxford Square which is in the same area has lots still available.  I know they were buying lots left and right over there, so I doubt its anywhere near sold out except for in the first couple of phases.

Oxford Square

did some research. apparently across the other side of the park off York will be boat ramps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I also just put down a deposit on a Juliet Home in the Jensen/Clinton area where Hokieone is. But afterwards I found a lot of bad reports on them - Juliet has an unsatisfactory rating with BBB and tons and tons of complaints from Tremont. Should I be concerned about this and pull out?

Your opinions would be most helpful!

Thanks.

I also just put down a deposit on a Juliet Home in the Jensen/Clinton area where Hokieone is. But afterwards I found a lot of bad reports on them - Juliet has an unsatisfactory rating with BBB and tons and tons of complaints from Tremont. Should I be concerned about this and pull out?

Your opinions would be most helpful!

Thanks.

You're making a HUGE purchase, and there are plenty of alternative builders with better reputations. If you have any doubt, why risk it on such a large purchase?

You're making a HUGE purchase, and there are plenty of alternative builders with better reputations. If you have any doubt, why risk it on such a large purchase?

We too looked at Juliet and after some research chose a Perry home next to the Alexan Lofts. They are 2 years old and we feel will be a good investment in that area. Good luck!

We too looked at Juliet and after some research chose a Perry home next to the Alexan Lofts. They are 2 years old and we feel will be a good investment in that area. Good luck!

if you don't mind the loud train noise during the middle of the nights. Intown homes has no yard at all. albeit the probs with juliet, i think their i like their floor plan better.

I am very curious why people with an obvious interest in architecture would even consider buying a townhome. While there are certainly some that employ interesting and thoughtful design, the vast majority them are just horrific. They're almost anti-design!

Don't get me wrong... I am actually reasonably glad to see the new construction happening just east of the GRB. And even over in the Clinton/Jensen area. Mostly, those townhomes (or the single-family, gated blocks) are not displacing older construction. And I welcome the new residents - and am hopeful they will convince Kroger to clean-up their combat store on Polk/Cullen (note to Kroger: we're not all on WIC, you know! I'm glad you provide goods for these people, but I would appreciate a wine selection that extends beyond Boone's Farm).

But that doesn't mean I don't think they are the perhaps the most ugly things I've seen.

So help me out. What's the allure of these structures to the design-conscious?

I am very curious why people with an obvious interest in architecture would even consider buying a townhome. While there are certainly some that employ interesting and thoughtful design, the vast majority them are just horrific. They're almost anti-design!

Don't get me wrong... I am actually reasonably glad to see the new construction happening just east of the GRB. And even over in the Clinton/Jensen area. Mostly, those townhomes (or the single-family, gated blocks) are not displacing older construction. And I welcome the new residents - and am hopeful they will convince Kroger to clean-up their combat store on Polk/Cullen (note to Kroger: we're not all on WIC, you know! I'm glad you provide goods for these people, but I would appreciate a wine selection that extends beyond Boone's Farm).

But that doesn't mean I don't think they are the perhaps the most ugly things I've seen.

Poor design isn't limited to townhomes. It's everywhere you turn, available for every sort of household of every income level. Just about any building of any size and any function can be made tasteful with the right design and a few bucks.

The ones in the Near East End are just particularly horiffic in places because its still a nascent market. Midtown-level quality is generally better and will arrive once there's some new supportive retail (even a couple strip centers will do) and a sense of stability. Just be patient.

As for the Kroger, there are only two ways to reliably show them that this area's demographics are improving. Either you wait until the next Census results or you hire an independent economic consulting firm to compile that kind of data for you while you gather a petition from a fairly wide geographic area, submit it all to Kroger, and hope that it's enough to effect some amount of change.

OUCH...sounds like there's goign to be a fire in Eastwood tonight :)

The ones in the Near East End are just particularly horiffic in places because its still a nascent market. Midtown-level quality is generally better and will arrive once there's some new supportive retail (even a couple strip centers will do) and a sense of stability. Just be patient.

Niche good reply however i'll bet that the quality is the same in midtown and near east end. only difference is price.

good question.

maybe it is kind of like how tom wolfe described:

All at once they are willing to accept that glass of ice water in the face, that bracing slap across the mouth, that reprimand for the fat on one bourgeouis soul, known as modern architecture.

And why? They can't tell you.

They look up at the barefaced buildings they have bought, those great hulking structures they hate so thoroughly, and they can't figure it out themselves.

okay, a little dramatic and dated, but still :D

people who love good architecture/design want to be near it. simply because one has to live within his/her means does not mean that they disregard architecture.

i would rather have a view of the downtown skyline from my living room and live in a mediocre townhome i could afford. that's just me. someone else might prefer a better floor plan with better amenities and face another townhome. i think it's a stretch to assume that someone lacks taste in architecture because of their home purchase. a home purchase involves more than liking the design. if this were true i would have never settled on a home.

interesting, thoughtful design is rare, with the exception of hiring one's own architect. the majority of "custom" homes, townhomes and even historic homes (many are old school cookie cutter homes) are regurgitated builder's bilge. one must tolerate this blandness and focus on location, finances, number of rooms needed and convenience. to single out townhomes is narrow minded at best.

Niche good reply however i'll bet that the quality is the same in midtown and near east end. only difference is price.

I've noticed that there are more TH projects in Midtown that just outclass those on the Near East End. There are a few really nice ones in both, but I have noticed a significant difference, aesthetically at the very least.

In regards to the Kroger it is my understanding that the large warehouse/manufacturing complex owned by Stewert Stevenson I believe (Blue Buildings) on Harrisburg/Eastwood St will become a smaller version of Gulf Gate with I would expect a new Kroger. This development is taking longer to start but it's only a matter of time before the bull dozers come in and start knocking them down. Once this starts then watch for prices to skyrocket and builders to flood the area.

Instead of Kroger I would personally prefer a Target Superstore with Grocery's but anything is better then the old dated Kroger!

Scharpe St Guy

interesting, thoughtful design is rare, with the exception of hiring one's own architect. the majority of "custom" homes, townhomes and even historic homes (many are old school cookie cutter homes) are regurgitated builder's bilge. one must tolerate this blandness and focus on location, finances, number of rooms needed and convenience. to single out townhomes is narrow minded at best.

I single out townhomes because design is one thing that's easy to control when making a purchase. Don't call my question narrow-minded because I'm focusing on a particular subject. I could talk all day about hideous strip centers, etc., if you want to go there.

I get that there are more concerns than design when purchasing a home. You've got to consider price, location, amenities, all that crap. But good design is not as hard to find as you indicate. If you say someone wants a view, and that's why they buy a townhome, say, in the parking lot of the old Mercado del Sol, then fine. But let's generously assume that 10% of these townhomes have a great view. There are still 90% of them that don't, and I do think that if you choose to purchase one of these, you've got terrible taste in architecture. Or at best, you just don't care about it that much.

I've noticed that there are more TH projects in Midtown that just outclass those on the Near East End. There are a few really nice ones in both, but I have noticed a significant difference, aesthetically at the very least.

If you're talking aesthetics...then i'd have to agree. I guess when you used the word quality, i would think of how well the structure is built. The Midtown and East End ones are probably the same quality.

As for the Kroger, there are only two ways to reliably show them that this area's demographics are improving. Either you wait until the next Census results or you hire an independent economic consulting firm to compile that kind of data for you while you gather a petition from a fairly wide geographic area, submit it all to Kroger, and hope that it's enough to effect some amount of change.

Actually, what most people do is speak to the manager of the store and request the items they would like to see. When enough people request it, the store will carry it. It is much quicker than waiting for a census that the store manager would not read anyway, since he is too busy being responsive to the needs of his customers.

Guest danax
In regards to the Kroger it is my understanding that the large warehouse/manufacturing complex owned by Stewert Stevenson I believe (Blue Buildings) on Harrisburg/Eastwood St will become a smaller version of Gulf Gate with I would expect a new Kroger. This development is taking longer to start but it's only a matter of time before the bull dozers come in and start knocking them down. Once this starts then watch for prices to skyrocket and builders to flood the area.

Scharpe St Guy

I drove down Harrisburg yesterday on the way home and that Stewart and Stevenson site now has a Lovett sign out front. Wulfe must've sold it to them and doesn't Lovett commercial usually do strip centers? They've got one going up down Harrisburg so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what we get at Lockwood....

I had the thought, seeing that, that the intial retail players in a gentrifying area usually put up the least attractive developments because, like the area, the developments are transitional and not high-end. And they sometimes end up with the best corners too...first come, first serve, like the CVS at Main & Elgin going up. So be it, the market usually knows best.

But in terms of townhome architecture, I agree that a lot of the designs are just ugly, tract-homeish, especially those ones on McKinney. I have the idea that anything can be made to look interesting and appealing but that takes creative people, which are always hard to find.

I get that there are more concerns than design when purchasing a home. You've got to consider price, location, amenities, all that crap. But good design is not as hard to find as you indicate. If you say someone wants a view, and that's why they buy a townhome, say, in the parking lot of the old Mercado del Sol, then fine. But let's generously assume that 10% of these townhomes have a great view. There are still 90% of them that don't, and I do think that if you choose to purchase one of these, you've got terrible taste in architecture. Or at best, you just don't care about it that much.

One of the redeeming points about the Warehouse District in particular is that it is a price haven for those that want to be part of the downtown scene but simply can't make it into Montrose, Midtown, or even 4th Ward. We've had low interest rates over the past several years that have allowed a lot of people into the market that could never have gotten in (at least in this stage of their lives) back in the late 90's. If there's demand at all for an area and a developer can accomodate that demand, then that's exactly what they'll do. Nevermind hiring an architect or expending energy and eliminating economies of scale with anything unique...they've got a job to give the consumer everything they can afford. And design, unfortunately, usually takes back burner to physical space issues.

As much as I fear that we'll be biting the bullet on deteriorating Perrys and Juliets in 20 years' time, I'm hoping that these housing products are able to anchor the area well enough so that it continues being accepted by the market when interest rates rise and demand cools off a bit.

Actually, what most people do is speak to the manager of the store and request the items they would like to see. When enough people request it, the store will carry it. It is much quicker than waiting for a census that the store manager would not read anyway, since he is too busy being responsive to the needs of his customers.

Yeah, you're right. That'll affect some of the small things. But that particular store could use some serious capital improvement, and that's a corporate-level issue. The corporate folks absolutely will look at the Census...that's the primary source from which these kinds of decisions are typically made.

I drove down Harrisburg yesterday on the way home and that Stewart and Stevenson site now has a Lovett sign out front. Wulfe must've sold it to them and doesn't Lovett commercial usually do strip centers? They've got one going up down Harrisburg so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what we get at Lockwood....

In this case, Lovett seems at least somewhat committed to quality. There was an article on this topic a ways back in which the broker stated pretty clearly that dollar stores and the like were just not welcome there.

Archived