Heights 6th 1/2 Street

aapchad

I live a few streets over on 8th 1/2 and I noticed this week that the horrible apartments on 6th 1/2 have been vacated by the residents and now appear to be fully derelict. These apartments had mostly low income immigrants who had to tolerate some fairly horrible living conditions. When we drove by, homeless people and street people were beginning to filter into the complex, which is wide open. Most of the apartment doors are open, trash everywhere, things are being vandalized, etc.

It seems as though the buildings will be torn down, but does anyone know for sure what is happening? This was a location known for problems with drugs and drunkeness so if the apartments are gone for sure, then it will be a huge boost to our area. Maybe the cheap liquor stores will follow suit... :rolleyes:

As though they were forced to live there with no choice whatsoever...

That was an awfully snarky reply. I think the poster was alluding to the fact that most immigrants and low income residents don't always know their rights or have any idea how to assert them. Slum lords are able to stay in business for a reason.

I agree that the neighborhood would benefit from those apartments going away.

That was an awfully snarky reply. I think the poster was alluding to the fact that most immigrants and low income residents don't always know their rights or have any idea how to assert them. Slum lords are able to stay in business for a reason.

The corollary to that: if they're annoyed thoroughly enough (or perhaps if they just get a better deal), tenants will pick up and move out in the night, never to be seen again. They might even take an appliance or two to compensate for the lost security deposit...or just make the landlord clean up the mess that they'll leave.

There was an implicit message in the prose that I didn't care for. I made my opinion known.

On behalf of the entire readership of the forum, let me extend our heartfelt thanks for you leadership and thoughtful guidance. Without your insightful, yet poignant comments, this forum might actually exchange real information worth reading.

On behalf of the entire readership of the forum, let me extend our heartfelt thanks for you leadership and thoughtful guidance. Without your insightful, yet poignant comments, this forum might actually exchange real information worth reading.

You're very welcome. <_<

Get a grip. Most of everything stated on this forum is personal opinion. If this forum were meant as a news blog, I'd be with you all the way...but I simply stated what I thought about a subject. That's my perrogative. If you don't like what I've said, then you can either debate me or blow me off.

No sense in dragging it out.

I live a few streets over on 8th 1/2 and I noticed this week that the horrible apartments on 6th 1/2 have been vacated by the residents and now appear to be fully derelict. These apartments had mostly low income immigrants who had to tolerate some fairly horrible living conditions. When we drove by, homeless people and street people were beginning to filter into the complex, which is wide open. Most of the apartment doors are open, trash everywhere, things are being vandalized, etc.

It seems as though the buildings will be torn down, but does anyone know for sure what is happening? This was a location known for problems with drugs and drunkeness so if the apartments are gone for sure, then it will be a huge boost to our area. Maybe the cheap liquor stores will follow suit... :rolleyes:

aapchad,

Stop by Fitz's and ask what they know. I heard a rumor involving them...maybe parking? Interesting to see if anything comes of it.

B)

TheNiche Posted Friday, July 14th, 2006 @ 9:12am

The corollary to that: if they're annoyed thoroughly enough (or perhaps if they just get a better deal), tenants will pick up and move out in the night, never to be seen again. They might even take an appliance or two to compensate for the lost security deposit...or just make the landlord clean up the mess that they'll leave.

Yes, stealing appliances...now there's one of the more moronic solutions I've come across-but not surprised in this instance.

You're very welcome. <_<

Get a grip. Most of everything stated on this forum is personal opinion. If this forum were meant as a news blog, I'd be with you all the way...but I simply stated what I thought about a subject. That's my perrogative. If you don't like what I've said, then you can either debate me or blow me off.

No sense in dragging it out.

It seemed to me that the original poster just wanted to know if there was any information about the apartments. Has anyone heard anything further?

• 2 weeks later...

The properties on E 6 1/2 St (The Studemont Arms) have been bought by TRICON and thy plan tearing it down in the first half of August. Further, they plan building about 16 loft style homes on its location.

While this is not the best fitting development for the area I guess it is better then what's in place.

TRICON also own the 4 empty lots on the NE Corner of E 6 1/2 St. an OXFORD St.