Delinquent Property Tax

Wide Eye

If the current owner of a house owns tax to the county/city, would you buy this house? I know there may be troubles... but exactly how risky is it?

If you buy the house I don't think you are responsible for the old taxes. We just bought a house that had owed taxes. The title was not free and clear until the old owners paid overdue taxes. I think money from the sale had to go to the city to cover overdue taxes. It was not risky for us.

If the current owner of a house owns tax to the county/city, would you buy this house? I know there may be troubles... but exactly how risky is it?

My understanding is that the taxes will be made current by funds from the seller at the closing table.

If you buy the house I don't think you are responsible for the old taxes. We just bought a house that had owed taxes. The title was not free and clear until the old owners paid overdue taxes. I think money from the sale had to go to the city to cover overdue taxes. It was not risky for us.

Yeah, the title company should catch that. If its a cash deal and you haven't yet arranged for a title policy...get one.

Archived