Charles Milby Mansion At 3015 Old Galveston Rd.

sootycat

Does anyone remember a big house that used to sit on Old Galveston Rd by the name of Milby Mansion? It was about a mile from Broadway. It was torn down some time back and an industrial plant was built on that site. The trees that lined the front of the street are still there. Would appreciate any info.

• Like 1

Does anyone remember a big house that used to sit on Old Galveston Rd by the name of Milby Mansion? It was about a mile from Broadway. It was torn down some time back and an industrial plant was built on that site. The trees that lined the front of the street are still there. Would appreciate any info.

I think that I can safely say that the house was either the home of Charles H. Milby or it's a house that was named after him the same way that Milby High School was.

I think that I can safely say that the house was either the home of Charles H. Milby or it's a house that was named after him the same way that Milby High School was.

Milby Mansion was along Milby Park. Back in the 60's one could score some good acid at the place. Good rock concerts at the park at that time. I think I remember that.

• Haha 1

Milby Mansion was along Milby Park. Back in the 60's one could score some good acid at the place. Good rock concerts at the park at that time. I think I remember that.

Ah yes...my dad told me about this place, but it'd slipped my mind. The 13th Floor Elevators practically lived there for a while. He knew Roky.

On Cheech & Chong's "Big Bambu" album, "Unamerican Bandstand" hosted by Laid-Back Lenny, introduced the winner of the "How Many Downers You Can Drop Contest."

On Cheech & Chong's "Big Bambu" album, "Unamerican Bandstand" hosted by Laid-Back Lenny, introduced the winner of the "How Many Downers You Can Drop Contest."

Speaking of Milby does anyone have any info on the cemetary they are buried at? It is located on Magnolia street near JR harris. I had a govt teacher that told me where the waste water plant was at it was the "rich side" of town lined down those trees.

Speaking of Milby does anyone have any info on the cemetary they are buried at? It is located on Magnolia street near JR harris. I had a govt teacher that told me where the waste water plant was at it was the "rich side" of town lined down those trees.

I think I recall seeing some Milby tombstones at the cemetery in old Harrisburg. It's across from Brady's Island and east of Broadway.

Milby is definately buried in glendale, but they don't even mention him on the historical marker. (he needs to get another agent!)

here is the text of the historical marker at the glendale cemetery (at the east end of E.Magnolia):

Burial place, Texas heroes and pioneers. Began as private plot of family of John R. Harris, founder of Harrisburg (now part of Houston). First burial, on July 23, 1839, was of Mrs. Harris' cousin, Judge John Birdsall, an ex-attorney general of Texas. A cemetery developed without management or legal status. In 1897, local ladies formed Glen Dale Cemetery Company and kept grounds in order for years. After a period of neglect, a group began restoration in 1952. Glendale Cemetery Association, Inc., now manages the property and provides perpetual care.
evidently that was also the spot of the original harrisburg townsite.

there is also an african-american cemetery in harrisburg (sort of at the end of phil st.)

here is the text of that historical marker

The earliest origins of this cemetery are undocumented. African American burials likely began with development of the local cattle industry and area railroads during the 1840s and 1850s. By the 1870s an African American community was well established in Harrisburg. About that time, former slaves began to establish their own fraternal organizations. The Mutual Benevolent Association was chartered in 1878. As a service to its members, the association arranged and sometimes financed burial services on this site, located between Harrisburg and what apparently was a proposed freedman's town which never materialized. Ownership of the land changed several times in the ensuing years, and a benevolent organization called Loving Band of Hope acquired the property in 1899, caring for the cemetery for 23 years. In 1922, the Jackson Funeral Home, among the oldest African American funeral homes in Houston, bought the cemetery property and used it as its primary burial ground until the last recorded burial in 1967. Among the graves is that of Tom Blue, once a body servant of Sam Houston. Blue reported that he was present at the Battle of San Jacinto. He served Houston until escaping to Mexico before the Emancipation Proclamation and later returned to live out his long life in Harrisburg. Also buried here are Steve Ray, a rodeo rider and cowboy on the Samuel Allen Ranch in Pasadena; black civic leader George W. Sanders; Wilson Burley, who fought in the Civil War in the 84th U.S. Colored Infantry; Austin C. Winfree, a buffalo soldier who served in Cuba during the Spanish American War; and veterans of World War I. The cemetery is a chronicle of the African American slaves, former slaves and pioneers of Harrisburg and of Texas.

not sure which Milby lived at "Milby Mansion" but according to Houston's Forgotten Heritage the Charles H. Milby house was on the sw corner of Elm at 614 Broadway. It was built in 1885 and demolished in 1959.

here are two excerpts from the citation:

from the wide front porch, which later extended across the south side of the house, the Milby family could see Buffalo Bayou, and through the decades they witnessed the progress of the ship channel as paddle-wheelers were replaced by ocean-going ships.
the family occupied the house until Mrs. Milby's death in 1942, after which it stood vacant until it was demolished.
Edited by gnu

Milby is definately buried in glendale, but they don't even mention him on the historical marker. (he needs to get another agent!)

here is the text of the historical marker at the glendale cemetery (at the east end of E.Magnolia):

evidently that was also the spot of the original harrisburg townsite.

there is also an african-american cemetery in harrisburg (sort of at the end of phil st.)

here is the text of that historical marker

not sure which Milby lived at "Milby Mansion" but according to Houston's Forgotten Heritage the Charles H. Milby house was on the sw corner of Elm at 614 Broadway. It was built in 1885 and demolished in 1959.

here are two excerpts from the citation:

I'm not sure which Milby lived at that house either. I've never found any mention of the house that sat on Old Galveston Rd. I've just heard it called Milby Mansion.

I'm not sure which Milby lived at that house either. I've never found any mention of the house that sat on Old Galveston Rd. I've just heard it called Milby Mansion.

I'm about 90 percent sure that the big house on OGR everyone is talking about here was -- in the late 50s and 60s -- owned and occupied by a guy named Mickey Wilburn, who was head of one of the longshoremen's unions at that time. I can say that because I went to San Jacinto College in the mid sixties with his daughter Cheryl Wilburn, and went to several parties at her home, which was that big house on OGR, right up against Milby Park. I haven't been to that part of town in a long time, so I'm not certain it's even still there.

What did this big house look like? Can you describe it a little. I spend a great deal of time in the area and if it is still there I will try for a picture of it.

i think they are saying it was where the city water treatment plant is today.

just south of the corner of central/park terrace and galveston rd.

set back off the road between it and the park and bayou

there are a line of old oaks - that fronted the property - that are still there.

the house is not

Edited by gnu

What did this big house look like? Can you describe it a little. I spend a great deal of time in the area and if it is still there I will try for a picture of it.

The house isn't there anymore, it was torn down to make room for the plant that sits on the land now. Thanks anyway for offering to take a picture.

• 2 weeks later...
Milby House and Glendale Cemetery.

nice pics. what is the source?

just to clarify though. the milby house is/was different from the milby mansion.

milby house was in harrisburg proper - broadway at elm.

milby mansion was just south of harrisburg - off galveston rd. - south of park terrace/central st. - where the current water treatment plant is.

BTW, there used to be a historical marker for the Milby house but it is "missing"

This is the text of the marker:

Tod-Milby Home Site:

John Grant Tod (1808-1877), a Kentuckian, left home at 17 to go to sea. Served in Mexican, U. S. navies. Came to Texas, 1837; served in Republic navy, 1837-1845, as naval agent, supervising purchase and equipment of vessels of second Texas navy; commander, naval yard at Galveston; acting secretary of navy; commodore. Tod carried official notification of Texas' annexation from the Congress of the United States, presenting it to President Anson Jones, January 13, 1846. Served in U. S. Navy as agent of the Quartermaster's Department during Mexican War, 1846-1848. Assistant state engineer, 1857-1859. Was one of organizers and builders of Texas' first railroad, the Buffalo Bayou, brazos and Colorado; came to Harrisburg to serve as its treasurer. Purchased cottage here and moved into it with his family in November, 1866. This remained the family residence for seventy-six years. Additions made by son-in-law, C. H. Milby, resulted in a large brick house. This structure, known as the "Milby House," was an historic landmark until demolished in 1959. Captain Tod and his family are buried in Glendale Cemetery, five blocks southeast on Magnolia Street.

courtesy: Texas Historical Commission

Edited by gnu

Guest danax
This structure, known as the "Milby House," was an historic landmark until demolished in 1959.

courtesy: Texas Historical Commission

Anyone know the story behind how they were allowed to demolish a historic landmark?. Broadway & Elm? It's not like anything noteworthy was built there in it's place.

Old Harrisburg is Houston's urban ghostown.

Anyone know the story behind how they were allowed to demolish a historic landmark?. Broadway & Elm?It's not like anything noteworthy was built there in it's place.

Old Harrisburg is Houston's urban ghostown.

happens frequently as you know danax....big biz has priority over history.

happens frequently as you know danax....big biz has priority over history.

It happens all the time in this town. City Council has never been able to muster the nerve to pass a Preservation Ordinance with any teeth in it. And Houston has no zoning law. Did you know that Houston is the largest city in the country without zoning?

Houston doesn't have zoning, because developers don't want it, and developers are the real decision makers in Houston. It helps to remember that Houston was founded in the 1830s by two developers from New York, and developers have run this city ever since.

It happens all the time in this town. City Council has never been able to muster the nerve to pass a Preservation Ordinance with any teeth in it. And Houston has no zoning law. Did you know that Houston is the largest city in the country without zoning?

Houston doesn't have zoning, because developers don't want it, and developers are the real decision makers in Houston. It helps to remember that Houston was founded in the 1830s by two developers from New York, and developers have run this city ever since.

The lack of historical preservation ordinances has absolutely nothing to do with City Council not having the 'nerve' and everything to do with our not having zoning. Without zoning, supreme court decisions limit municipalities' abilities to enact historical preservation ordinances. The 90-day moratorium is about as good as it gets.

And the issue of whether or not Houston has zoning is left up to the people (not solely the developers). We've had several referendums in our past, and the voters consistently say no.

And the issue of whether or not Houston has zoning is left up to the people (not solely the developers). We've had several referendums in our past, and the voters consistently say no.

but, as with any election or issue, the side that has the biggest war chest and/or most effective marketing (or scare tactics) usually wins - whether or not - it is in the best interests of the citizenry.

i.e. developers have the money to promote their view and present it in a way to make it acceptable to the masses.

BTW, I think houston would benefit from some limited uncomplex zoning. But i'm not a developer :ph34r:

but, as with any election or issue, the side that has the biggest war chest and/or most effective marketing (or scare tactics) usually wins - whether or not - it is in the best interests of the citizenry.

i.e. developers have the money to promote their view and present it in a way to make it acceptable to the masses.

BTW, I think houston would benefit from some limited uncomplex zoning. But i'm not a developer :ph34r:

Unfortunately, there's no such thing as limited zoning. When a city adopts zoning, they must back it up with a comprehensive citywide plan that addresses issues as far ranging as from land use to pollution controls.

Were you in Houston the last time Zoning was on the ballot in the mid 90s? You may or may not know that it was defeated because of some underhanded doings by a handful of Libertarian anti-zoning property rights zealots whose opposition to zoning was more philosophical than anything else.

About a month before the election, these people saw that it was going to be a close election, so they started circulating rumors in the black community that the REAL reason City Hall wanted zoning was so it could zone blacks out of the inner city. That's absolutely true. One of the creators and purveyors of the rumor admitted it to me. It was a blatant vicious lie of course, but it was so effective it caused a near panic in the black community and created a backlash that defeated zoning on election day.

I'm telling this story because I don't believe zoning would fail if a "clean" unemotional election could be held on it today.

Were you in Houston the last time Zoning was on the ballot in the mid 90s? You may or may not know that it was defeated because of some underhanded doings by a handful of Libertarian anti-zoning property rights zealots whose opposition to zoning was more philosophical than anything else.

About a month before the election, these people saw that it was going to be a close election, so they started circulating rumors in the black community that the REAL reason City Hall wanted zoning was so it could zone blacks out of the inner city. That's absolutely true. One of the creators and purveyors of the rumor admitted it to me. It was a blatant vicious lie of course, but it was so effective it caused a near panic in the black community and created a backlash that defeated zoning on election day.

I'm telling this story because I don't believe zoning would fail if a "clean" unemotional election could be held on it today.

It was also HIGHLY opposed by many if not all developers in town. Ultimately that is why it failed because they had the bucks to back themselves during the actual election.

Oh, you mean like myself, then?

I remember reviewing voting statistics on the issue. Its kind of interesting that the upper class and the lower class banded together against the middle class on that one. But you've also got to keep in mind that zoning would've shut down a lot of neighborhood businesses that operate out of single family homes.

I'm not sure whether black communities would've suffered...its kind of hard to say, but under the right circumstances, it'd be entirely possible. On the flip side, it would've been possible that black political leaders could've prevented high-density growth in Midtown in an effort to preserve a predominantly black community.

I know that consumers would've suffered as a whole, that's for sure. After all, developers fundamentally don't like zoning because it makes it more costly to develop, and costs ultimately get passed on to the market. If part of the market then gets priced out of new homes, then there are fewer numbers of homes demanded by consumers. Developers ultimately suffer because consumers suffer.

Aside from that, it creates opportunities for conflicts of interest and corruption...not to mention the waste of adding a whole new level of bureaucracy to a city of Houston's geographic size.

I personally don't like zoning because it is a means by which my neighbors could effectively remove my property rights without my direct and explicit consent. Deed restrictions are one thing because a consumer has the choice to buy into them...but zoning isn't a matter of choice but of force.

Houston - A History and Guide - American Guide Series - Harris County Historical Society - 1942

This is the text that accompanied the picture of the Milby House. I should have included it when I posted the picture. Keep in mind this was written in 1942...

The MILBY HOUSE (private), 614* Broadway, is a typical plantation style structure surrounded by spreading oaks hung with Spanish moss. The yard is lined with neat flower beds and winding walks; a brick fence is topped with an iron railing.

Built in 1864 on the crest of a gentle slope, the first structure was a long, two-story wooden house, to which a brick mansion was added in 1885 by Charles H. Milby. The old part was remodeled and used for a kitchen. The bricks have since been covered with concrete blocks. Wide galleries on two sides terminate in a glassed conservatory. More than 100 shutters cover long French windows.

At the time of its erection, the house was in the pioneer town of Harrisburg, then a busy village, now a Houston suburb. Its business and industrial district lay along Buffalo Bayou, beside the railroad shops, and wharves. From the upper gallery of the Milby house, stern-wheel and side-wheel boats could be seen as they plied industriously on the bayou to and from Houston and the coast, carrying passengers and cargo.

Diminutive locomotives with Mother Hubbard stacks hissed and puffed as they passed, pulling their trains of freight and travelers. Ox- and mule-drawn wagons, and horse-drawn buggies plodded down the long dusty street.

Not far from the Milby house, a narrow wooden bridge spanned Bray's Bayou on the road to Houston. The clatter of hoofs and of steel-rimmed wheels resounded above the steady hum of near-by sawmills on the bayou banks; those little milk made lumber of pine logs that were floated down the stream.

Mrs. Milby's father, John Grant Tod, was a stockholder in Texas

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think that if you're at the intersection of Lawndale (225) and Broadway, then head north on Broadway, then take a right on E. Magnolia, it's right there.

I had never known the exact address, but it is apparently 8315 E. Magnolia, from a search. there is also information on it in the texas historical atlas, if you search under Harris county and cemeteries.