What Is The Worst Neighborhood In Houston?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
a kid got shot at Antoine and DeSoto yesterday... move Inwood up the list a bit...

I'd like to give Inwood South to Candelight Plaza and Oak Forest.

Nope... you can keep it ... or at least keep it out of Oak Forest.

You know, although I think The Woodlands is way overrated, IMO. I have to say the absolute worst neighborhood I can think of right now, in terms of crime, would have to be either Mission Bend or Townewest by Sugarland. If their are any Back to the Future fans, think of part 2 when Marty goes back to 1985 and the his neighborhood is in shambles with the burglar bars on the windows of his house.

You know, although I think The Woodlands is way overrated, IMO. I have to say the absolute worst neighborhood I can think of right now, in terms of crime, would have to be either Mission Bend or Townewest by Sugarland. If their are any Back to the Future fans, think of part 2 when Marty goes back to 1985 and the his neighborhood is in shambles with the burglar bars on the windows of his house.

I was talking to a lawyer who has been working out in the 'burbs and his biggest thing is how many kids get into trouble because of disposable income and lack of parental supervision.

My daughter who lives very close to the woodlands is amazed on how much of a drug problem the woodlands schools have.

Kinda' made me do a little dance when I told the ex "I told you so."

I was talking to a lawyer who has been working out in the 'burbs and his biggest thing is how many kids get into trouble because of disposable income and lack of parental supervision.
For Mission Bend it is the lack of parental supervision, but not the disposable income that is the problem. Latch key kids who raise themselves 12 hours of the day their entire childhood. I don't think its the parents' faults though. Especially if they are both working and trying to make a better life for the children & family. Its just the way it is - the facts of life.
My daughter who lives very close to the woodlands is amazed on how much of a drug problem the woodlands schools have.
Everyone knows that the most affluent & safest neighborhoods are where you will find the most spoiled kids who have the least amount of parental control, and do the best drugs. Again, its just a fact of life.

Everyone knows that the most affluent & safest neighborhoods are where you will find the most spoiled kids who have the least amount of parental control, and do the best drugs. Again, its just a fact of life.

Their is a movie with Matt Dillon made back in 1979 about a California suburb, where the kids just went nuts, and took over the school. I will have to look it up in a minute. It reminds me of The Woodlands. :lol:

The movie is called "Over The Edge".

a kid got shot at Antoine and DeSoto yesterday... move Inwood up the list a bit...

I'd like to give Inwood South to Candelight Plaza and Oak Forest.

No, the city just needs to wall up the Desoto drive entrance at Antoine. Poor Inwood-proper.

I just wanted to say this thread has been very informative for me. Even though I am a native Houstonian, I was never familiar with anything but the northwest side of town and the nicer neighborhoods at that. I guess I just never hung around any rough people to take me into the scary parts of town.

I have a few questions as I try to piece together all this neighborhood geography. Where is Magnolia in relation to East End or is it a part of the East End? Would Wayside and Harrisburg be considered Magnolia Park? Also, which of the neighborhoods we've discussed have Telephone Rd. as a border? I've heard that Telephone Rd. is pretty shady, but have never driven down it.

Oh, btw, if they ever redevelop the apartments in the Inwood area, it will be a nice area. The neighborhoods are solid: Inwood proper, Candlelight, Ella Lee Forest, Garden Oaks, Oak Forest, etc.

If anyone saw the funny photos of the "white gangsters" from that Katy thread, I'm pretty sure someone just did a Google image search of a certain word that begins with "w", and copied the photos that came up. No way there are actually white teens walking around Katy that look like that. They would be ridiculed daily by the hardcore Republican residents.

I'd agree that Katy has some of the worst neighborhoods, but I'd be basing that assessment on aesthetics, not crime or ghetto-ness.

I just wanted to say this thread has been very informative for me. Even though I am a native Houstonian, I was never familiar with anything but the northwest side of town and the nicer neighborhoods at that. I guess I just never hung around any rough people to take me into the scary parts of town.

I have a few questions as I try to piece together all this neighborhood geography. Where is Magnolia in relation to East End or is it a part of the East End? Would Wayside and Harrisburg be considered Magnolia Park? Also, which of the neighborhoods we've discussed have Telephone Rd. as a border? I've heard that Telephone Rd. is pretty shady, but have never driven down it.

Oh, btw, if they ever redevelop the apartments in the Inwood area, it will be a nice area. The neighborhoods are solid: Inwood proper, Candlelight, Ella Lee Forest, Garden Oaks, Oak Forest, etc.

Well I'm glad you got something out of it.

Magnolia Park is part of the East End. Wayside and Harrisburg is Magnolia Park. There are many neighborhoods with Telephone Road as their border, but as seedy as parts of Telephone are, there are many nice neighborhoods along it. None are really standing out as profoundly ghetto in my memory. Mex American Moose? Any comment?

I think that the best way for you to discover the gems and the rough is just to drive. Take a day and enjoy yourself. Don't forget to roll down your windows as you cross over onto the other side of the tracks...lots of smells and sounds that you'll miss with windows up.

Antoine, Mangum, Ella, Shepherd, etc are just as "shady" as some of the streets mentioned on the east side. Some good friends of mine live near Ella and 43rd and always tell me of action happening around there. But like I say, there are "shady" places all over town. That's just life in the big city.

Magnolia Park is part of the East End. Wayside and Harrisburg is Magnolia Park. There are many neighborhoods with Telephone Road as their border, but as seedy as parts of Telephone are, there are many nice neighborhoods along it. None are really standing out as profoundly ghetto in my memory. Mex American Moose? Any comment?

I think that the best way for you to discover the gems and the rough is just to drive. Take a day and enjoy yourself. Don't forget to roll down your windows as you cross over onto the other side of the tracks...lots of smells and sounds that you'll miss with windows up.

well i would suggest going east on harrisburg and then turn north on Wayside, basically this is Magnolia....there are a lot of businesses, or you could keep on driving on harrisburg until you hit broadway...

check out this website...it will define the boundaries better

Check it out

I've actually done that on a few occassions. Sometimes I cruise around in nice areas, sometimes I cruise around in not so nice areas. I remember in 2001, I drove down Breen Rd. with a map in hand. I went east and somehow got to Montgomery Rd., drove straight through the heart of Acres Homes, then down Shepherd, and then I did some zig zagging across some east/west streets like Tidwell, Parker, Little York, crossing over I-45 onto the east side. It was pretty fun.

I also drove around in that neighborhood directly east of I-45 from the Norhill section of the Heights area, I don't know the name of it (NMainGuy, help me out here), and somehow or another I got lost and ended up on Jensen Dr, right off I-10. I just decided to drive straight up north on Jensen until I found my way home. I gradually began to get an uneasy feeling, and for some reason I rolled up my windows and locked my doors. There were people staring at me, but not in a friendly way. People just hanging on on the street corners. Everytime I got to a stop light, I was like "hurry up, turn green, turn green." I finally got out of that area once I hit 610 loop and quickly got back in the NW side of town.

Some do walk around like that. They try to walk like they from the hood, too.

I think it's just because hip hop style and culture is the new pop culture thing. It's all over MTV and everything else. Back in the early 90s, teens were dressing like people in Seattle, because that's what they saw on tv, and they just wanted to imitate it. I wouldn't take these white wannabe gangsters too seriously. It's a phase that will pass when America moves onto the next thing. The thug style is easy for whites to copy when they have all these music videos showing a bunch of youths all huddled up on their city block in Atlanta or Memphis or wherever and you can see vividly the clothing style that they sport while they're chilling and representing in the music video.

There were people staring at me, but not in a friendly way.

If you think that was bad, you should've tried driving around on the tiny neighborhood streets. Now that can be scary. Its one thing if you're out in the middle of an intersection and everyone can see you. Lots of witnesses...too many for any half-decent crook. But if you're back on those low-traffic side streets...be careful.

But I heard that HPD keeps their distance from 5th Ward, which is a shame, since SW Houston apartments around Fondren and Braeswood is just as dangerous as 5th Ward, yet the cops have no problem going in there to investigate a murder.

I wasn't afraid of being killed so much as carjacked for being a white guy who probably has no business driving down Jensen Dr. and I heard that residents are bitter toward whites in general. I wasn't afraid while I was driving, but only when the lights were red, so I had to stop at the intersections. You say there would be too many witnesses??! The only people I saw while driving looked like they were coming down from their crack highs. They looked pissed off and defensive. I doubt their presence on Jensen Dr. would deter anyone from robbing me at an intersection or shooting at my car.

Just to make sure I'm not giving the wrong neighborhood name, that is 5th Ward on Jensen Dr. between I-10 east and 610 Loop North, right?

But I heard that HPD keeps their distance from 5th Ward, which is a shame, since SW Houston apartments around Fondren and Braeswood is just as dangerous as 5th Ward, yet the cops have no problem going in there to investigate a murder.

I would say its the opposite. I've heard of HPD cops being nervous about repsonding by themselves into those huge apartment complexes on the SW side. Many of the cops working that area as part of the Mayor's new overtime neighborhood protection plan are coming from slower beats from other parts of the city. Most of them don't even know the area.

Honestly though, I doubt there's any neighborhood that HPD is truly afraid of. Those guys are hard.

Yes, you heard wrong. A friend of mine works the "Zero Tolerance Unit" in the 5th Ward. Far from shying away from it, HPD works it hard. I wouldn't be surprised if many of the tactics used in the 5th are now being tried in SW.

People amaze me.

I've walked the streets of the Near Northside as a high school social worker for C.I.S. at Jeff Davis. I'm as WASPy as they come and never ONCE felt nervous.

I used to ride my bike through Midtown and the Third Ward to get to graduate school at UH during the mid 1990s. Nothing bad ever happened.

Every thanksgiving, my family heads out to pass out food, soap, toothbrushes, school supplies, etc... in random neighborhoods. We used to hit the 4th Ward before it became full of townhomes. We now hit the Cuney Homes project by Texas Southern. We're always welcomed and people even tell us which doors to knock on where there is the greatest need.

Now, I wouldn't go alone to certain places and I'd avoid large apartment complexes at night, but I've always found that if you treat people with dignity and respect, they'll usually do the same.

It's part of why I want Houston to have better public places so that the different races and classes can interact more. Familiarity can breed some good results.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't afraid of being killed so much as carjacked for being a white guy who probably has no business driving down Jensen Dr. and I heard that residents are bitter toward whites in general. I wasn't afraid while I was driving, but only when the lights were red, so I had to stop at the intersections. You say there would be too many witnesses??! The only people I saw while driving looked like they were coming down from their crack highs. They looked pissed off and defensive. I doubt their presence on Jensen Dr. would deter anyone from robbing me at an intersection or shooting at my car.

Just to make sure I'm not giving the wrong neighborhood name, that is 5th Ward on Jensen Dr. between I-10 east and 610 Loop North, right?

Man, aint nobody gonna attack you over there. If you look how you say you do, they either thought you were a clucka or an undercover.

5th ward is tha baddest neighborhood out there here is a list of the worst hoods out there:

1.5th ward

2.MLK

3.Sunny side

4.acres home

5.studewood

6.south park

7.kashmere gardens

8.trinity gardens

Nah kid, statistically Southwest/Fondren is the worst by far. . .

The crime isn't bad in TW, but I thought the waterway was a really bad idea. This is the Gulf Coast, bayou swamp area - not Venice. What happens if the gators decide to live there?

They will Wrangles those bad boys out of there as soon as some lady loses her chihuahua dressed in Prada. >:)

Archived