What Is The Worst Neighborhood In Houston?

Define worst neighborhood? Is it crime, drugs, poverty, etc..?

I think they come in "threes":

1. Sunnyside/Southpark/South Union

2. South Fondren/Westwood/Gulfton

3. 5th Ward/Kashmere Gardens/Denver Harbor

4. Acres Homes/Independence Heights/Inwood

5. Southeast/Magnolia/Second Ward

Not friendly. . .

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gotta disagree about South Union...

A lot of folks in South Union may be poor, but it's peaceful. There are no gang or violence problems around here.

Its not the home owners - its the apartment dwellers. The same for neighborhoods like Sharpstown, Braeburn Glen, Inwood, University Oaks, etc. They are quaint neighborhoods in themselves, but the apartments have over run them.

I didn't put 2nd Ward & Magnolia Park because its seemed to have quieted down. I never hear it mentioned anymore.

Its not the home owners - its the apartment dwellers. The same for neighborhoods like Sharpstown, Braeburn Glen, Inwood, University Oaks, etc. They are quaint neighborhoods in themselves, but the apartments have over run them.

True...I'm thinking of the single-family areas, which is most of South Union. The Alice Street apartments between Tierwester and LaSallette seem OK, but the low income places along the South Loop are pretty rough.

There are some apartments on Corder a block east of Scott Street that are scary day and night, but I don't consider them South Union. They're on "the other side of the tracks." :D Foster Place :o

I'd also be more cautious on foot on Scott Street after dark, but once you get inside South Union proper, it's quiet.

South Union definitely has room for improvement, but I don't consider it an unsafe neighborhood like I did when I lived on the SW side of town.

Independence Heights

BTW Gnu-THANKS ALOT for that image of Pollack. Just when you think you've gotten something out of your head-BAM someone has to drag it back from the dead.

Pollack lives!!! in the Phoenix area for the last 10 years. He is still cheesy......but even bigger (professionally and physically) and more successful here. He does mostly commercial properties now...and of average appeal.

Enjoy his biography: http://www.pollackinvestments.com/company.php

Sounds like you've got a story to tell...

I grew up there. All the kingpins in the dope game are in S.E. I knew a few before they got popped. When dope first gets to Texas most of it touches down in S.E. Houston. I can name about 30 gangs from this small area off the top of my head, mostly crips and mara salvathrucha. There's robberies, jumpings, and drive-bys almost every night that never make the news. I guess the bigger story is with fondren and the katrina evacs.

I grew up there. All the kingpins in the dope game are in S.E. I knew a few before they got popped. When dope first gets to Texas most of it touches down in S.E. Houston. I can name about 30 gangs from this small area off the top of my head, mostly crips and mara salvathrucha. There's robberies, jumpings, and drive-bys almost every night that never make the news. I guess the bigger story is with fondren and the katrina evacs.

My understanding from several independent sources, including our own MexAmerican Moose, is that it bottomed out in the early 90's and that a lot of that has since been taken care of. Care to comment?

fondren has been going downhill since the mid eighties

Pollack lives!!! in the Phoenix area for the last 10 years. He is still cheesy......but even bigger (professionally and physically) and more successful here. He does mostly commercial properties now...and of average appeal.

Enjoy his biography: http://www.pollackinvestments.com/company.php

ack! while the idea for the advertising museum (http://pollackmuseum.com/) is interesting, it is still creepy...

1zpoeo5.jpg

:o

My understanding from several independent sources, including our own MexAmerican Moose, is that it bottomed out in the early 90's and that a lot of that has since been taken care of. Care to comment?

I live in downtown now but when I do go back to the neighborhood to visit friends I hear and see its the same ol' ish. . .

I grew up there. All the kingpins in the dope game are in S.E. I knew a few before they got popped. When dope first gets to Texas most of it touches down in S.E. Houston. I can name about 30 gangs from this small area off the top of my head, mostly crips and mara salvathrucha. There's robberies, jumpings, and drive-bys almost every night that never make the news.

What ZIP codes are we talking about here?

I don't know why people would think Greenspoint is the worst? I would sure as hell take Greenspoint over the 5th ward or South West Houston anyday. I believe on Hines Interest website they state that "there is alot of land for more/future office developement."

I think the area is recovering, and is not as bad as it use to be. Yah, you get the ocasional crack whore walking under the freeway, but come on... Atleast I didn't see someone lighting crack in a light rail station (cough, Bell St., cough).

Define worst neighborhood? Is it crime, drugs, poverty, etc..?

I think they come in "threes":

1. Sunnyside/Southpark/South Union

2. South Fondren/Westwood/Gulfton

3. 5th Ward/Kashmere Gardens/Denver Harbor

4. Acres Homes/Independence Heights/Inwood

YES! I made the list!

On behalf of the Greater Inwood area, I accept this honor.

Actually, i think like most of these other areas, you have to be more specific. For example, Inwood only seems to be bad where the apartments are. In the areas of homes, everything is nice. I get lots of compliments from people who come to visit and don't see the apartment areas of South Inwood. They love the tree-lined streets and the friendly neighbors that sit outside their house and wave at anyone who drives by, etc... My Aunt calls it Mayberry - and she lives in Greenspoint.

funny how things go in cycles, when i lived in Spring Branch, it was WAY worse than Inwood. I saw my first driveby, first point blank shooting, first marijuana, coke, heroin, gangbang (fight), gangbang (non-fight), pimps, hoes, etc... everything bad I learned about people, I learned at Hollister and Pitner... and it didn't discriminate. White guys taught me how to steal bikes. My first fight was with a mexican. A black person taught me how to smoke weed. A vietnamese GIRL taught me how to steal from the store... A white chick was the neighborhood hoe. It was the ghetto. The only thing worth a damn was the playground and fields at Hollibrook elementary.

And now, I live in Inwood. I'm still in one of "the worst" neighborhoods, even though I could afford to live almost anywhere in Houston. Funny how that has worked out.

it has gotten a lot better....i still remember when my mom got mobbed by two dudes with guns in the middle of the neighborhood, listening to drive-by's while i was trying to sleep and the gang problem.those salvatruchas are the most predominant gangs...i am glad i moved out of there...it has gotten a lot better since then but it ain't no Woodlands or something like that.

YES! I made the list!

On behalf of the Greater Inwood area, I accept this honor.

Actually, i think like most of these other areas, you have to be more specific. For example, Inwood only seems to be bad where the apartments are. In the areas of homes, everything is nice. I get lots of compliments from people who come to visit and don't see the apartment areas of South Inwood. They love the tree-lined streets and the friendly neighbors that sit outside their house and wave at anyone who drives by, etc... My Aunt calls it Mayberry - and she lives in Greenspoint.

And now, I live in Inwood. I'm still in one of "the worst" neighborhoods, even though I could afford to live almost anywhere in Houston. Funny how that has worked out.

You are 100% correct about Inwood. If asked to explain I would specify two areas of Inwood: South Inwood (Antoine & DeSoto) & North Inwood (Antoine & Gulf Bank). Inwood Proper itself is a beautiful neighborhood. Its almost depressing to know that people feel forced to move because of the crime apartment dwellers bring.

funny how things go in cycles, when i lived in Spring Branch, it was WAY worse than Inwood.
Where in Spring Branch did you live? I've found that area to be more of a "country ghetto" with kids doing exactly as you described, causing trouble via mischievousness more than necessity.

You are 100% correct about Inwood. If asked to explain I would specify two areas of Inwood: South Inwood (Antoine & DeSoto) & North Inwood (Antoine & Gulf Bank). Inwood Proper itself is a beautiful neighborhood. Its almost depressing to know that people feel forced to move because of the crime apartment dwellers bring.

I will 2nd this.. it seems that Acres Homes spilled over into Inwood apartments. It's a shame what this has done to the nicer parts of Inwood. I would never want to live where you have to drive though the ghetto to get home though.

Edit: Where is this Independence Heights area? Never heard of it.

I would never want to live where you have to drive though the ghetto to get home though.

This is my ONLY complaint about neighborhoods like Inwood.

It is directly north of the Heights with I-610 as its southern boundary.

I will 2nd this.. it seems that Acres Homes spilled over into Inwood apartments. It's a shame what this has done to the nicer parts of Inwood. I would never want to live where you have to drive though the ghetto to get home though.

Just north of me and not too far from you. B)

indheights.gif

5. Southeast/Magnolia/Second Ward

Not friendly. . .

WOW if you think this is one of the worst areas of town you must not get around much. I ride my bike through Magnolia all the time and never have problems. I also have some friends in midtown who ride through there regularly and stop at the neighborhood bars. It may LOOK scary but we've never had problems.

Where in Spring Branch did you live? I've found that area to be more of a "country ghetto" with kids doing exactly as you described, causing trouble via mischievousness more than necessity.

I live in Inwood North, which is near Antoine & Gulf Bank. My neighborhood and neighbors are great. The ONLY thing that sucks about Inwood is all of the apartments... Sheesh... W Gulf Bank between Antoine and W. Montgomery is terrible... DeSoto area - terrible. Tidwell - Terrible... all of these are lined with apartments and the people in those apartments don't give a crap about the area.

As for Spring Branch, I lived at Hollister & Pitner... the super apartment ghetto next to Hollibrook Elementary... i think it has gone from apartment ghetto to apartment barrio... My 'upper middle class' Mexican friends call that area "the old country"...

I've also lived in I.H. we were poor and couldn't afford a refrigerator or a stove, but we had a little house we rented and the neihborhood wasn't bad.

The sad thing about these "worst" neighborhoods is that the majority of the neighborhoods are not bad at all. Sure, they all have people who aren't rich. Sure, they all have minorities. But for the most part, the neighborhoods are filled with good people, but there is some part or portion of the neighborhood filled with jackasses, and the jackasses mess it up for everyone.

Inwood is great. The jackasses mess it up.

I.H. could be great - it's in a great spot (except for the flood zone). But the drugs mess it up.

oh, well...

The common theme with all the worst areas of Houston I see 2 primary themes: (static things such as low income, below poverty line stuff like that is a given so I do not include them)

Here are my 2:

1- Close quarter living ie APARTMENTS apartments, apartments

WOW if you think this is one of the worst areas of town you must not get around much. I ride my bike through Magnolia all the time and never have problems. I also have some friends in midtown who ride through there regularly and stop at the neighborhood bars. It may LOOK scary but we've never had problems.

The time of day your riding your bike, what streets, and what bars your talking about are probably why you think that. There's crimeless lily-white subdivisions directly adjacent from fondren as well. . .

The time of day your riding your bike, what streets, and what bars your talking about are probably why you think that. There's crimeless lily-white subdivisions directly adjacent from fondren as well. . .

Oh and yeah, I've been in and used to hang out in every grimey part of every hood in H-town too which is why I said that about Southeast. I think its more the attitude of the gangsters in the neighborhoods than the way the neighborhoods look. That's the thing a lot of people from out of town trip on about H-town. Prime example, Scenic Woods near Homestead. It looks like a nice upkept subdivision, but that's one of the hardest hoods at night, from experience those dudes are all strapped up and crazy over there. . .

That's the thing a lot of people from out of town trip on about H-town. Prime example, Scenic Woods near Homestead. It looks like a nice upkept subdivision, but that's one of the hardest hoods at night, from experience those dudes are all strapped up and crazy over there. . .

strapped- translastion dudes with guns...

I think its more the attitude of the gangsters in the neighborhoods than the way the neighborhoods look. That's the thing a lot of people from out of town trip on about H-town. Prime example, Scenic Woods near Homestead. It looks like a nice upkept subdivision, but that's one of the hardest hoods at night, from experience those dudes are all strapped up and crazy over there. . .

Hey! I use to stay in Scenic Wood on. I lived on Lakewood Dr. Actually Homestead has quite a few neighborhoods that look "nice" but aint really all that "nice". Rosewood (which dont really look "nice" but it dont look like a slum or anything) is a good example. My aunt still stays over there actually. I remember when we use to go to her house when I was little my mom would always tell us to sit on the floor (Im sure some of you who grew up in "less than perfect" neigborhoods probably remember doing that) so things aint always what they may seem to be.

But honestly I think many people look at neighborhoods and base their knowledge off a what they may have heard from a random guy or maybe seen in the newspaper or something. Me and my wife recently bought a house in the Cranbrook subdivision (off rankin rd/ella blvd near greenspoint) and honestly its a very nice place despite me hearing less than stellar things about the area (even on this website). I really dont see whats so bad about it...

What streets and bars would you consider good on the east side?

Apparently whatever bars and streets you said you ride your bike through, cuz I really cant imagine anyone creepin through magnolia on harrisburg and down broadway and thinkin "Hey, this is a nice neighborhood."

Apparently whatever bars and streets you said you ride your bike through, cuz I really cant imagine anyone creepin through magnolia on harrisburg and down broadway and thinkin "Hey, this is a nice neighborhood."

i'm simply referring to YOUR quote "5. Southeast/Magnolia/Second Ward

Not friendly. . ." I personally have had no problem with people not being friendly. I"ve had more problems at the Roll In on San Felipe with racists than i have on the east side.

Archived