What Is The Worst Neighborhood In Houston?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
fondren southwest

I second that, but 4th Ward is a close second, but the Metal homes are taking over

All those stupid latin gangs in that area, plus Katrina people bumming around can't help either.

My money is on Gulf Freeway Oaks. I base this strictly on depreciation rates, quality of the streetwalkers, flooding, and odor.

The quality of our streetwalkers (Airline) seems to have gone down recently. Not sure how they stand up against Gulf Freeway Oaks.

B)

Greenspoint. What a failure.

Gunspoint, that is a mess. I love how the website and even the logo focuses SO MUCH on the few high rises they have (which I am sure were all built in it's glory days) since none have been built there since.

Greenspoint website

It screams, LOOK, we are like Uptown!

I would also have to say Gulfton. Although, because if its proximity to the Galleria, I could see that area turning around someday.

One of the things Gulfton has going for it is that there are a whole lot of large apartment complexes on relatively large tracts. Makes redevelopment very quick when the time comes. However, those complexes are moneymakers and nobody is going to want to live near one of them in the mean time...so unless all the property owners form a coop and do something big at the same time...I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a turnaround.

One of the things Gulfton has going for it is that there are a whole lot of large apartment complexes on relatively large tracts. Makes redevelopment very quick when the time comes.

Wasn't one of those apartment complexes the old Lantern Village Apartments? I remember in the early 1980s it seemed like a good place to call home. I think its selling point was that every apartment came with a VCR!

Anyway, wasn't it off Gulfton?

One of the things Gulfton has going for it is that there are a whole lot of large apartment complexes on relatively large tracts. Makes redevelopment very quick when the time comes. However, those complexes are moneymakers.

Once all the illegals are removed, they apartments won't have any renters, hence new development! ;)

Wasn't one of those apartment complexes the old Lantern Village Apartments? I remember in the early 1980s it seemed like a good place to call home. I think its selling point was that every apartment came with a VCR!

Anyway, wasn't it off Gulfton?

vcr...nice!

lantern village is still on gulfton near chimney rock/renwick

lantern village is still on gulfton near chimney rock/renwick

I lived there about 5 years ago, parking is a pain because 3 families live in one apartment.

It was nice to have all the bills paid though

"Colonial House...shaped with you in mind."

"Hi. I'm Michael Pollack, and for the past six months I've been inviting you to see our incredible apartments and new lifestyle at Colonial House. And based on the overwhelming response, a lot of people are looking for that new and unique lifestyle they've always dreamed of."

"you get a free VCR when you sign a six-month lease."

one of the commercials had a bikini clad woman leap up out of a hot tub or pool holding a vcr over her head

Pollack.gif

One of the things Gulfton has going for it is that there are a whole lot of large apartment complexes on relatively large tracts. Makes redevelopment very quick when the time comes. However, those complexes are moneymakers and nobody is going to want to live near one of them in the mean time...so unless all the property owners form a coop and do something big at the same time...I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a turnaround.

In Dallas, a 1970s-era apartment complex with 1084 units on 44 acres was recently approved for demolition and redevelopment (mostly non-residential).

http://www.dallasobserver.com/Issues/2006-...ws/schutze.html

(This article is against the demolition, but everyone else in Dallas was for it)

I agree, there could be hope one day for major redevelopment of the Gulfton "geto". But driving through the area, it looks to me like most of the complexes are being maintained and occupancy is high, so I also agree that no redevelopment is imminent.

As someone else noted, if our immigration and employment laws are actually enforced, many occupants would return to Mexico leaving the complexes without tenants, opening the door for redevelopment.

The Bermuda Triangle of Beltway 8, SW Frwy & Bissonnet.

That should be expanded to include the adjacent apartments in the Westwood area along Club Creek. That is a really bad area, with lots of Katrina evacuees in the mix.

Fifth Ward. Southside of Houston. MLK area. Areas around Milby HS.

Speaking of the south side, specifically Sunnyside...my girlfriend's father practices criminal law and has picked up a few cruddy houses in lieu of cash payment over the years. He takes pride in his rentals and tries to keep them well-maintained, but has found rehabbing to be profoundly difficult because the neighbors constantly steal his tools and materials...even in plain sight. Calling the cops doesn't do any good in this neighborhood.

Define worst neighborhood? Is it crime, drugs, poverty, etc..?

I think they come in "threes":

1. Sunnyside/Southpark/South Union

2. South Fondren/Westwood/Gulfton

3. 5th Ward/Kashmere Gardens/Denver Harbor

4. Acres Homes/Independence Heights/Inwood

Honorable Mention: Upper 3rd Ward.

I don't think Greenspoint is at all as bad as people continue to paint it. At least its not as bad as people say it once was. Now that Katrina evacuees have moved into the area however, it might regain some attention.

Honorable Mention: Upper 3rd Ward.

I don't think Greenspoint is at all as bad as people continue to paint it. At least its not as bad as people say it once was. Now that Katrina evacuees have moved into the area however, it might regain some attention.

Good post. Definitive.

Gotta disagree about South Union...

I've lived in Gulfton and around Fondren and Braeswood, and those areas are definitely worse neighborhoods than South Union when it comes to crime. Even as a white man (the only one around) I'm not afraid to walk the streets of South Union at night. I left the Gulfton area 10 years ago after there were two murders in my apartment complex within 6 months. Another friend who lived a few blocks down Fondren from me had both his car and apartment broken into within a 6 month period. That was also 10 years ago. I can't imagine what it's like now.

A lot of folks in South Union may be poor, but it's peaceful. There are no gang or violence problems around here.

Archived