What Austin is about to look like

citykid09

Nice Texas is finally going to get some big skylines Out side of the Houston and Dallas Metros.

Austin The Texas Golf Coast, Fort Worth, San Antonio, all the cities in Texas are doing good.

Also, I didn't know Austin was getting a W Hotel. So it has to be a matter of time before we here about Houston getting one.

skyline8.jpg

3602-vi.jpg

3601-vi.jpg

DSCN4445a-vi.jpg

And the shore:

shore-vi.jpg

0607_bldg1.jpg

City of Austin website has put together an emerging projects 'poster' for the southwestern quadrant of downtown Austin.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/downtown/downlo...hwest_may06.pdf

And here is a screenshot I took from the above PDF document. For a larger version, click on the image below.

EmergingProjects_SW_2006-vi.jpg

Here are some extracted images from the above poster, starting with a AMLI2/PRIME street-level shot:

AMLI2-vi.jpg

Federal Courthouse

FedCourthouse-vi.jpg

Update from this morning's statesman:

http://www.statesman.com/business/content/...NWUbTTUWUXUWUZT[uUUWU^U^UZU\UbUcTYWYWZV&urcm=y

Downtown apartments, condos are on the rise

Red River Flats, 360 and Spring will add nearly 800 units to Austin fast-growing city center.

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Downtown's residential scene continues to heat up, with work started on or scheduled to start on projects at the eastern and western perimeters. Combined, they will add almost 800 condominium or apartment units to one of Austin's fastest-growing neighborhoods.

Two of the three projects will be high-rises and will be among the tallest buildings downtown when they open.

Atlanta-based Novare Group Holdings LLC and its local partner, Andrews Urban LLC, named their condominium tower at West Third and Nueces streets 360 for its promised view. One distinctive feature will be a lighted glass spire.

Size: 44 floors, 432 units

Prices: One-bedroom units starting under $200,000; two-bedroom units under $300,000

Architects: Preston Partnership LLC, Atlanta

Status: Official groundbreaking is June 20. Project will open in late 2007.

image_3790666.jpg

Red River Flats

South Carolina-based Greystar Real Estate Partners' project is set for the former Reddy Ice site at Red River and East Ninth streets. It will have underground parking and an elevated pool overlooking Waller Creek.

Size: Four floors, 120 units

Prices: Monthly rents range from $1,350 to $2,520.

Architects: Steinberg Design Collaborative, Houston

Status: Under construction. The first units will be available in July 2007.

image_3790657.jpg

Spring

At 400 feet, Spring will be 280 feet higher than city rules allow on the western edge of downtown. The condominium tower at Third and Bowie streets, near the old Seaholm Power Plant, is being developed by Perry Lorenz, Larry Warshaw, Robert Barnstone and Diana Zuniga.

Size: 36 floors, 220 units

Prices: $200,000 to $400,000

Architects: Rafii Architects Inc., Vancouver, British Columbia; Morris Architects, Houston

Status: Groundbreaking scheduled for January, with opening in early 2008.

image_3790664.jpg

More info:

http://www.statesman.com/business/content/...#downtownliving

From Ziegler Cooper's website:

May 1, 2006

Ziegler Cooper awarded landmark project in Austin

From among such prestigious firms as RTKL, PageSoutherlandPage, and PCF (Pei Cobb Freed & Partners), Benchmark Development has chosen to award Congress Avenue Condominiums to Ziegler Cooper Architects.

Congress Condominiums will be a mixed-use residential and retail development located on a downtown parcel bounded by Second Street, Congress Ave, Third Street and Colorado Street. The 48-story high-rise will consist of a total area of 590,813 gsf, including 226 residential condominium units (368,000 gsf).

This landmark building will be the tallest structure in the Austin skyline.

rendering-wtower02.jpg

Very Impressive! The commuter rail station should make this development a huge success. Here are some screenshots I grabbed from the website:

Looking NW from Airport at Lamar:

Crestview5-vi.jpg

Crestview1-vi.jpg

Crestview2-vi.jpg

Crestview3-vi.jpg

Austin has or is getting rail now? Nice. Austin's skyline has now surpassed San Antonio. I guess being the capitol, things get done.

If all of these projets get built, Austin's downtown traffic is going to be literally insane. I go to UT and the traffic in Austin is miserable and getting worse by the second. And it doesn't help that their horribly planned light rail doesn't go anywhere close to the population centers where the traffic is bad. Getting from 12th on Lamar to Cesar Chavez (1st Street) can take 25 min at 3:00pm... When will Austin plan for anything?

good job citykid. all this stuff is on SSP but its spread out over like a dozen pages finally i can actually read all of it.

the cap metro rail definetlely doesnt go deep enough into downtown.

austins going to have to do what portland did and build a modern streetcar downtown. either that or some sort of uber BRT.

I always thought it was a law not to build anything taller than the capital building in the capital city. This was for security reasons.

Nope. That's D.C.

In Austin, my only concern with all this development is that the view of the Capitol (spelled with an 'o') from S. Lamar will be obscured. It's one of the things that define that corridor.

If so, ah well... Cest la vie.

Nope. That's D.C.

In Austin, my only concern with all this development is that the view of the Capitol (spelled with an 'o') from S. Lamar will be obscured. It's one of the things that define that corridor.

I know the Madison Wisconsin capitol building (which is nearly identical to the DC capitol) has a one mile radius stipulation. No building within 1 mile of the capitol can be taller than 187 feet. This is purely for view preservation.

Is Austin growing faster than the other big three in Texas?

Nope. That's D.C.

I don't think that's the reason for DC either. I think in DC, they can't build their buildings taller then the width of the street. I'm in NOVA now and a DC resident explained that to me a while ago but I forgot the full details. I always thought that anything built in DC could not be taller than the Monument which is 555 feet. But was shocked to hear that wasn't the rule either.

As far as Austin in that picture. I believe 360 is under construction now, right? I can't wait for the Tstacy project to go up as well as the Spring.

Talk about extreme makeover. I had no idea so much was on tap for Austin.

And this is just what is on tap for downtown. To me, the most amazing thing going in Austin is the transformation east I-35. The number of midrise lofts with first floor retail is remarkable. There is a lot of debate going on regarding the gentrification of the neighborhodd (which they are trying to combat by requiring buildings to require a certain number of units affordable to those make 80% of the median income). It is becoming a completely different city.

It looks like they may actually meet their goal of having 20,000 residents living downtown. Quite remarkable.

Im back, sorry was gone for awhile but let me go ahead and update a few new projects.

Austin now has 5 buildings Under construction right now

360 44 stories 581 feet

Monarch 29 stories

Shore 22 stories

AMILI 18 stories

Marriott hotel 16

Metlife's 36 story 101 Colorado should start in August.

Another hotel announcment for Austin. 1,000 rooms in all.

http://www.statesman.com/business/co...1marriott.html

Hotel complex planned for downtown Austin

Developer promises to seek accord with site's current tenants, including Las Manitas.

By Shonda Novak

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Thursday, July 20, 2006

image_4635292.jpg

The largest hotel development in Austin's history may be headed to Congress Avenue downtown

• 2 years later...

Archived