San Antonio Growth

Trae

Over at SSP, there are countless threads about San Antonio's growth. They say the whole Northern Arch of 1604 is under construction, and this and that. Check it out: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=101924 and http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54

Do you all think San Antonio's growth is impressive, like they say it is, or are they just over-reacting to a few suburban developments.

• 2 months later...

yeah i live in SA right now, been living there for almost a year. Even though people say that SA has outgrown Dallas in city limits, that claim is worthless because San Antonio still doesn't pull the weight, and economy that Dallas and Houston. SA is still undeveloped and sparse throughout the city limits. Dallas has more cities around it which add to its metropoltan/city strength. Dallas and Houston are still running this state!

The growth in SA is mostly concentrated in the North/1604 area. When you see it all together like that it actually seems that there is more development going on there than here in Houston where it's spread out all around the city. It's very impressive though.

But San Antone is a very upstart metro area. Keep on plugging SA, and Houstonians will keep you in business. You know that Houstonians go there more than probably any other city in the state. S.A. is cool and we'll make sure you all keep being cool. Dallas can smirk at the Riverwalk, but that's just jealously. We know our Buffalo Bayou is no comparison. But we don't try to do the attitude thing. I would like to be in a hotel on the Riverwalk right now and walk around and enjoy autumn. But.... work is calling. I wish the best for San Antonio. Yes, it's got a long road to hoe to catch the two big cities in Texas, but take one day at a time. ;)

But San Antone is a very upstart metro area. Keep on plugging SA, and Houstonians will keep you in business. You know that Houstonians go there more than probably any other city in the state. S.A. is cool and we'll make sure you all keep being cool. Dallas can smirk at the Riverwalk, but that's just jealously.

I've seen data in the past that suggest you're wrong about Houston visiting S.A. the most. I remember trying to think of theories why Houstonians pass on it. I don't know, perhaps Houstonians have traditionally been splitting their vacations between New Orleans and S.A. and that lowers the figures?

In any case, I've never seen any significant smirking of the Riverwalk by Dallas... it is very popular place up here. Heck, we built a mega-hotel copying it and it does more business than it knows what to do with. I'm sure they'd all be down on the real thing if it wasn't a 3:45 drive away.

Jason

I dont understand what hes doing in Dallas anyway.Theres only room for Jerry Jones.At least he signs a T.O. rather than talk down on a city to get some recognition.

T.O. Such a great addition. This is the man that mocked Texas when he ran to the Star (at Texas Stadium)at the fifty yard line and strutted around like he owned the place. Yeah, Jerry Jones, you can pick 'em. T.O. will git r dun. :lol:

• 8 months later...
The growth in SA is mostly concentrated in the North/1604 area. When you see it all together like that it actually seems that there is more development going on there than here in Houston where it's spread out all around the city. It's very impressive though.

In 1971 I was 13 years old. My parents and I went on a vacation to Laredo. My mom always wanted to stay in Motel 6 because of the low price. As we approached San Antonio, I saw a billboard advertising a Ramada Inn on Interstate 410. I leaned over to the front seat and I talked my dad into staying there for the night.

When we pulled in, my dad and I went into the lobby to register. When we got back in the car, he didn't say a word. He just handed the receipt to my mom. She looked at it and she hit the ceiling and said: "YOU PAID EIGHTEEN (18) DOLLARS FOR THAT ROOM???!!!"

I wonder if that same Ramada Inn is still there. If it is, I doubt very seriously that a room is still $18. All I remember is that when we entered San Antonio, we took the IH-410 North exit.

Archived