East End Roll Call

Just out of Idle curiosity, how many east-enders do we have on this board now? For the longest it seemed like

Danax was the lone wolf over in Pecan Park. I am moving into Glenbrook where Stolitx is. I know Greaser, Silverartfox & Sharpe St. Guy all call Broadmoor home. Now Niche has bought in Eastwood, and Roberto1972 bought in Idylwood.

I'm not from the east side originally, having called everywhere from Ponderosa Forest to 6th Ward & Afton Oaks home at one point or another in my adult life. I'm curious who else is treking to the east end and how long have you been there.

Just out of Idle curiosity, how many east-enders do we have on this board now? For the longest it seemed like

Danax was the lone wolf over in Pecan Park. I am moving into Glenbrook where Stolitx is. I know Greaser, Silverartfox & Sharpe St. Guy all call Broadmoor home. Now Niche has bought in Eastwood, and Roberto1972 bought in Idylwood.

I'm not from the east side originally, having called everywhere from Ponderosa Forest to 6th Ward & Afton Oaks home at one point or another in my adult life. I'm curious who else is treking to the east end and how long have you been there.

east end for 39+ yrs...currently in Pecan Park. Know most if not all of the areas well.

2.5 years in Broadmoor. So far we have really enjoyed it. Immediate neighbors are awesome and good friends now and super safe. Can't beat the price for the location and for what you are getting in our area. I am surprised that so far no new construction has occured within Broadmoor but it's only a matter of time and I'm sure builders are working up plans even now.

Our home will be for sale pretty soon though in search of a larger home, garage, yard to accomodate kids in the future, my side business (garage/workshop), and larger yard so our dog can have a buddy.

Scharpe St Guy

I just moved into the near east end/warehouse district if that counts :D

Nice and fairly quiet neighborhood for now (except for the trains). Nice wide open streets with lots of FREE street side parking for your guests. And since the area is not YET full of residents, the streets are not so crowded with traffic. I have not seen much of a homeless problem in the area. I suppose it is because the area is still known as a warehouse district. Homeless people want people to beg from so they keep mostly to midtown. As more people move into the neighborhood though, I imagine the homeless will be sure to follow.

Is anybody else a recent resident of this particular near-town area? Lots of new construction and warehouse conversions underway.

Rev33,

Right now I am torn between buying a unit in the Herrin Lofts or buying a house on the East Side. I have seen a few houses in Scharpe St Guy's area and I like those as well. I assume you like the warehouse area?

One member on this board has offered me a good deal on his house, but my current lease isn't up until September.

Yep. Buying a fixer-upper from a screwball seller. It's taken a lot of effort just to acquire, much less make habitable, but I'll probably close on the house next week.

Well, welcome to the neighborhood (almost). What's the address and who are you buying from? Don't mean to be nosy - I'm just always curious about happenings in my 'hood.

Well, welcome to the neighborhood (almost). What's the address and who are you buying from? Don't mean to be nosy - I'm just always curious about happenings in my 'hood.

I'll PM you the address. A few people have figured it out from my earlier descriptions, but I'd rather not advertise my exact location to so many people, you know.

Guest Sebastian De La Ghetto
..Is anybody else a recent resident of this particular near-town area? Lots of new construction and warehouse conversions underway.

I moved into the development on mckinney in may. so far i love it, 5 mins from work and yes, plenty of parking. we just got some sweet palm treest out front, hope they make it. Ive gotten used to the trains already, dont wake up at all anymore.

I'll PM you the address. A few people have figured it out from my earlier descriptions, but I'd rather not advertise my exact location to so many people, you know.

Atomic here, Eastwood resident too. But will be moving to my project over on Congress in a year. Still on the east side though.

Niche, know the house your talking about. I showed it to a few buyers too, but the agent was skrewy & from years of experiece I knew the seller would be difficult as well. One really important thing I noticed. She keept saying that it had a flower shop in it or something... And that you could run a business out of it. Not so. One of the most strickly enforced deed restrictions in Eastwood is the NoBussineses part. They come down pretty hard on that, ask the guy who tried to start a DoJo on Polk a year or so back. I notice she is the selling agent as well. If she has told you that you can run a bussines there she is wrong. PM me if you'd like to talk about the area or have questions.

One really important thing I noticed. She keept saying that it had a flower shop in it or something... And that you could run a business out of it. Not so. One of the most strickly enforced deed restrictions in Eastwood is the NoBussineses part. They come down pretty hard on that, ask the guy who tried to start a DoJo on Polk a year or so back. I notice she is the selling agent as well. If she has told you that you can run a bussines there she is wrong. PM me if you'd like to talk about the area or have questions.

If there is a business there now, the legal department will not remove it. They will say that the neighborhood civic club should have gotten rid of it. and since they didn't, then the legal department wont either. hopefully the new owner will want it residential

I am new to Eastwood. I moved here about 90 or so days ago. I lived in Plano a couple of years prior to that, and before Plano, in California for about 10 years.

I dig Eastwood. Close to downtown. Multi-ethnic, mostly quiet, and seemingly safe neighborhood. I just can't help but think this area will be an excellent investment given its location and moderately low costs for housing.

But I am not in this for the investment. Houston is now my home and I don't plan on moving for many, many years. Matter of fact, I am an new Houston Texans Season Ticket Holder (please don't hold that against me!).

If there is a business there now, the legal department will not remove it. They will say that the neighborhood civic club should have gotten rid of it. and since they didn't, then the legal department wont either. hopefully the new owner will want it residential

I think if there is an existing business, you are right they won't remove it. But if that business closes, then they can stop a new one going in.

I am new to Eastwood. I moved here about 90 or so days ago. I lived in Plano a couple of years prior to that, and before Plano, in California for about 10 years.

I dig Eastwood. Close to downtown. Multi-ethnic, mostly quiet, and seemingly safe neighborhood. I just can't help but think this area will be an excellent investment given its location and moderately low costs for housing.

But I am not in this for the investment. Houston is now my home and I don't plan on moving for many, many years. Matter of fact, I am an new Houston Texans Season Ticket Holder (please don't hold that against me!).

welcome to the city dude...the eastside is one of my favorite places to visit..i used to live there and would love to walk around see stuff...there are lots of blucollar neighborhoods that seem much more interesting than the upper class west side of houston. B)

I think if there is an existing business, you are right they won't remove it. But if that business closes, then they can stop a new one going in.

Once a business is there, the land use for the property will say business. The legal department will NOT pursue a change since on the books the land use map says business. It would be up to the new owner to close the business down. Eventually the land use will revert to residential. This is the direction that the legal department has followed for years. I know another neighborhood that has the same situation and the legal department did nothing as a business chnaged hands and business type.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings. Former East Ender here, Central Park Neighborhood.

I still have virtually all my family from there. Mom still lives in Central Park, Grandmother lives near Canal & Lockwood, Grandfather lives near the Maxwell House, Uncle lives near Leeland/Lockwood, and my in-laws live near Dumble/Eastwood.

So I grew up there, and now visit pretty often (as I don't live too far off!)

Just arrived in from suburbia (Sienna Plantation) last week. Bought a Juliet home in Midtown Village. Easy commute to both my offices in Westchase and Deer Park.

Wanted a lifestyle shake up (and got one!) and wanted to try something new.

Been lurking on these boards. Lots of good info and comments!

Hello

I'm a newby to this forum. Hubby family East Enders & we lived EE for several yrs after marriage [apts. on Gulf Fwy near Dumble back in early 60s] We've done several rehabs in East End thru the years since early 60s. Great area for Great Bargains!! Recently I saw something on TV or in newspaper about a planned new home development for Telephone/Lawndale area. Anyone know the name for this development? We've been curious about the cleaning/clearing of vacated property in that area. We have one last house to sell in the East End :( & would like to know more @ this development so I can be knowledgeable if asked any questions by prospective buyers. Selling this last house will be emotional closing as we've had real estate ties to East End all our adult life, but we've aged. Aging makes us smarter & makes our bodies respond more loudly to excessive use. Because of its size & stairs to climb kids have put the pressure on us to sell & buy something closer to our home that is smaller & with no stairs to climb. Anyway.............We love the East End homes! Area has such a rich history [by the way, I think? I have a pretty complete history of this house in the form of title search]. I remember my Dad telling the story of his Mother coming from E. Prussia in 1880 to Washington Co., TX. She said they rode in ox-drawn wagon from Galveston to Harrisburg [town] in axle-deep mud. Harrisburg area was actual town.

Hello

I'm a newby to this forum. Hubby family East Enders & we lived EE for several yrs after marriage [apts. on Gulf Fwy near Dumble back in early 60s] We've done several rehabs in East End thru the years since early 60s. Great area for Great Bargains!! Recently I saw something on TV or in newspaper about a planned new home development for Telephone/Lawndale area. Anyone know the name for this development? We've been curious about the cleaning/clearing of vacated property in that area. We have one last house to sell in the East End :( & would like to know more @ this development so I can be knowledgeable if asked any questions by prospective buyers. Selling this last house will be emotional closing as we've had real estate ties to East End all our adult life, but we've aged. Aging makes us smarter & makes our bodies respond more loudly to excessive use. Because of its size & stairs to climb kids have put the pressure on us to sell & buy something closer to our home that is smaller & with no stairs to climb. Anyway.............We love the East End homes! Area has such a rich history [by the way, I think? I have a pretty complete history of this house in the form of title search]. I remember my Dad telling the story of his Mother coming from E. Prussia in 1880 to Washington Co., TX. She said they rode in ox-drawn wagon from Galveston to Harrisburg [town] in axle-deep mud. Harrisburg area was actual town.

Sorry to see hear that you're leaving the area, but I understand the necessity.

The last I heard about that tract was when Perry Homes bought it with the intention of developing, but couldn't establish that there was enough of a market. Is the "For Sale" sign still there? If so, I wouldn't worry much about it.

Sorry to see hear that you're leaving the area, but I understand the necessity.

The last I heard about that tract was when Perry Homes bought it with the intention of developing, but couldn't establish that there was enough of a market. Is the "For Sale" sign still there? If so, I wouldn't worry much about it.

I went by there this weekend and the sign is still there.

Please do share where you heard or read this? Also how long ago did you hear this? I wonder if something is stirring for that large parcel of land??? The Foley's sign's are now down with Macy's going up I would assume. I personally don't think these warehouses will remain for all that long.

Scharpe St Guy

"Recently I saw something on TV or in newspaper about a planned new home development for Telephone/Lawndale area."

my wife and i will be calling the neighborhood of Brookline home very soon. this neighborhood is off of griggs and 45 or griggs and telephone. we found a remodeled 4plex that is rented out and will practically pay for the mortgage payment. we hope to build a home in country club in the next couple of years.

Archived