Shake up on KRBE

ricco67

According to this Article.

It seems that Atom and Maria, were dismissed immediately after their friday morning show. While Atom was abrasive and a bit on the crass at time, it was fun to hear Maria be the voice of reason and verbally pummel him.

I'm going to miss these two quite a bit.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This similiar thing happened to my friend Nadine in Toronto when she was immediately departured of a show she was hosting (Much Music Electric Circus) and sadly the people who were important to the shows were immediately released and never had a chance to say goodbye!

guess sam malone knew the end was coming..

i kinda wondered the same thing when he (sam malone) moved over to ktrh. i hear he had a really big following with maria at krbe, but i NEVER heard fo the guy until he got to 740 AM. needless to say, i like his humor, his voice of reason (generally), and his affable demeanor.

i wonder if people in media ever get that 6th senses and just ignore all the signs around them thinking 'it just COULDN'T happen to me'.

Rumors flying fast and furious that Roula and Ryan will be the new morning hosts at KRBE. The station was purchased by Cumulus media in May and lots of changes are coming. The music is changing to a more "mix like" format. Less hip hop and rap and more Adult Contemporary I think they call it....chron.com had a good article about the change and it basically said Atom and Maria had no clue, they were told at the end of their show on Friday and their offices cleared out, email accounts cancelled and they were asked to leave. I guess that's how things change in the radio biz.

Probably gonna make way for another Tejano station.

Wouldn't surprise me now.

I used to listen to 104 because of the great break-through music, TheBeat, the Sam Malone morning show that could be heard anywhere in the world, ruthless djs like Paul "Cubby" Bryant, Ryan Chase, and eventually Atom Smasher's prime-time show.

Now, the Beat's gone, Sam Malone jumped ship, you can only hear 104 in Houston, no one knows 104 BUT Houston, the last reminant of the Sam Malone show's now out, and the only dj on 104 that gave the station any attitude, Atom Smasher, also gone. They've almost completely relapsed into just another radio station. They need to snap out that "MTV following" mode and get back into their variety and innovative music. There's very few good bands on the station, and there's no more electronic live music mixes there.

Bring that edge back, or expect to become another tejano station in a couple months <_<

What is the station going to be like now?.. mix 96.5 or 99.1?

If you go back and read the story they make no mention of the station changing format. Only that the station wants the morning show to go in a different direction.

As good as they are, they had a specific appeal with the 25 and under (age) range. We're hoping to broaden that a bit. We're about to introduce the market's next big thing.
said Patrick Fant, market manager for Cumulus Media Partners, which has owned KRBE since May.

I'm sure they'll keep the same format, they're the only station with the Top 40 format in the city. Roula and Ryan would be great, they fit the Top 40 format much better than the Mix format anyhow.

when i first moved to houston, i used to like sam malone and mariah todd's show. what ever happened to psycho robbie? is that guy still around?

as for houston radio in general, there is a reason why i switched to sirius a few years ago. it sucked!

when i first moved to houston, i used to like sam malone and mariah todd's show. what ever happened to psycho robbie? is that guy still around?

as for houston radio in general, there is a reason why i switched to sirius a few years ago. it sucked!

I listen to Myron Anderson's "Listening Back" show every Friday morning on KTSU...I figure if he's been doing it for 25 years, he must be doing something right!

We are blessed with some good public stations here in Houston, like KUHF (88.7), KPFT (90.1), KTSU (90.9) and KTRU (91.7).

I listen to Myron Anderson's "Listening Back" show every Friday morning on KTSU...I figure if he's been doing it for 25 years, he must be doing something right!

We are blessed with some good public stations here in Houston, like KUHF (88.7), KPFT (90.1), KTSU (90.9) and KTRU (91.7).

yes, the community radio stations are pretty decent. i am a regular KPFT listener. the commerical stations on the otherhand...

Atom Smasher gone? No big loss there. Maria was no Oprah either. Atom Smasher.. what a stupid name anyway.

It's "Atom"?? And all this time I just figured he was "Adam." God, that is dumb.

what ever happened to sycho robbie? is that guy still around?

He is a realstate agent in Katy, Texas last I heard, SeePsycho Robbie's new job

As for the change in format, I heard an Alanis Morrisette song this morning at 7:30 ish when the Hollywood dirt was supposed to be on. I have not heard "Head over Feet" on this station and it literally reminded of, "is this 96.5"?

I thought that they were on vacation or something and had no idea they were fired until now.

I was tuning in around 2 p.m. and they were playing Matchbox Twenty, "If Your Gone". That song is WAY old to be playing on a current top 40 station and it is not even Total Request Lunch.

They are looking more and more like 96.5 KHMX each hour.

Atom made the morning show "unlistenable" with kids in the car. He won't be missed.

He was not that bad, just different from the typical boring republican rubish Sam Malone stated.

Just tuned in again, now they are playing the defunct band Creed, "My Sacrifice"

So I have heard a song from 1995, 2000, 2001.

This is not normal for them to play older songs this much in a day.

I am so used to hearing recent songs at least every 2 hours(that was annoying too), not the case anymore.

I remember being pissed when Z Rock went off the air.

What i don't like is "It ultimately comes down to giving the listeners what they want," Fant said.

Wake up one morning.. Roula and Ryan are gone. Stevens and Pruitt gone. one morning, 101.1 is gone. one morning, nikki the intern is gone. one morning, atom and maria gone.

Maybe listeners want their radio personalities and sidekicks to be able to say goodbye. Maybe fans want some sort of warning. They all have some amount of fans...

It just seems like the whole radio buisness is full of sharks.

More news...

the morning guy on 107.5 klde got kicked off friday morning too.. and scott sparks is moving to klde.. but they're changin their name to K-Hits.

Also..

one thing KRBE is considering is doing a syndicated morning show.. like Kidd Kradick or Whoopi Goldberg

That's crazy that there's so much shake-up in the radio biz the past week, although I'm way out of the loop, because I haven't listened to FM radio since 2001. I listen to AM radio for the sports shows, but that's about it. I can't believe that FM radio still exists. It's so boring and predictable, and the music is terrible and predictable. The commercials are annoying too.

I guess Atom Smasher won't be getting paid to go out to clubs anymore and party down.

I listen to CD's in the car. I don't really like the mainstream stuff that comes out on the radio, anyway. 97.9 is still good though, but most of you seem like rock and oldies listeners.

The only FM stations that get run in our car is 88.7 (Dad), 102.1 (Mom), and 97.9 (me and older and younger sisters).

Someone said there was no "mention" of a format change but it is definitely becoming a different station. I think they'll announce something later on. I listened last night and this morning before work and in 4 "ten songs in a row" plays, there were 21 songs that were older than 2 years. That's more than half their playlist. Sounds like they are taking on Mix to me. Who knows, Mix hasn't exactly been exploding in ratings, maybe they'll change somewhere down the line into a station like the old 104.

How ironic would that be? Or should that be, "Isn't that Ironic...it's like raaaaain on your wedding day....." oh, sorry, I digress....

Archived