What are the big differences between Dallas, Atlanta, and Houston?

I long for the days when the maturity level of this forum's members reaches the point where comparison threads, such as this one, are no longer needed. IMHO, this thread, and others like it, only serves to validate Houstonians' infeiority complex. Let's move on. . .shall we?

Until people start delicate flower-slapping each other because of city preference, I really enjoy this topic. A lot of the general compare/contrast points are going to be predictable and/or previously stated - this is a common theme - but the individual perspectives can be informative, sometimes entertaining.

I'm not as familiar with Houston as with Dallas and Atlanta, but I think Houston's the prettiest, just a little prettier than Atlanta. Like, I love the hills in Atlanta, but extra punch of variety through tropical foliage in Houston is more than makes up for it.

Architectural beauty in each city, to me, pretty much equal.

People in Houston seem to be more imaginative, but it's been a long time since I've spent much time there.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The other thing they have in common is they all have huge influxes of immigration and growth. From 2000-2005 the MSAs all have gained tons of people:

Atlanta metro 669,736 people

DFW metro 657,931 people

Houston metro 564,670 people

Which huge growth like that it is hard to generalize much on the people of each area. They are big melting pots.

jason

This thread has stayed pretty tame, well except for 713 to 214's usual statements.

On a side note, Those MSA numbers don't take into acount Katrina's numbers for Houston. I believe the number is around 150,000.

Ask some people outside of Texas (or the South) and most people associate Dallas with the TV show or JFK's assassination. Some associate Atlanta with MLK, "Gone with the Wind," Gen. Sherman or the Olympics (and the bombing). Unfortunately, most people I know associate Houston as being the fattest city, the pollution or the Astrodome. Everyone's heard of the Astrodome, at least.

But all three have traffic issues, in my opinon.

They have all basically similar feels, except Atlanta has a lot of rolling hills, 4 seasons and it cools down at night in the summer.

When I went to College in Dallas, I termed it the concrete jungle, and my school was in University Park! Its more of a singles town.

Houston has a more family feel to it, I like it better than Dallas. Before all the Loop construction, I felt it was greener too. Out of the three cities, it has the best Downtown.

I love Atlanta and the fact you can get to the mountains in 2 hours, but you couldn't pay me to go Downtown. Buckhead is awesome though!

Ask some people outside of Texas (or the South) and most people associate Dallas with the TV show or JFK's assassination. Some associate Atlanta with MLK, "Gone with the Wind," Gen. Sherman or the Olympics (and the bombing). Unfortunately, most people I know associate Houston as being the fattest city, the pollution or the Astrodome. Everyone's heard of the Astrodome, at least.

But all three have traffic issues, in my opinon.

Oh c'mon. People don't think "yeah Houston, it's full of fat people". Most certainly it's known for the dome and pollution but not for being fat.

in response to citykid's post:

Houston has had a jump start in building stadiums, urbanizing the CBD, and preserving natural beauty (i.e. GREEN SPACE- Buffalo Bayou and Parks) . All in all, all three metros can definitely learn something from one another.

Is the above statement accurate? Dallas got it's new baseball Stadium in the 90's and it's Basketball Arena a few years ago and from what I've heard it's new Cowboys Stadium is going to be incredible. Atlanta got it's baseball, basketball and football arenas in the 90's, so even in that area I wouldn't say Houston got a jumpstart. We are really behind those cities in that area but our facilities may seem more modern because we were the last to do them.

Is the above statement accurate? Dallas got it's new baseball Stadium in the 90's and it's Basketball Arena a few years ago and from what I've heard it's new Cowboys Stadium is going to be incredible. Atlanta got it's baseball, basketball and football arenas in the 90's, so even in that area I wouldn't say Houston got a jumpstart. We are really behind those cities in that area but our facilities may seem more modern because we were the last to do them.

This is maybe what he's refering to.

Starting in Downtown Houston there is, Minute Maid Park, Toyota Center & The GRB, of course a mile and a half away is Hofheinz Pavillion and Cullen field. Five miles down from there is Rice Stadium & Reckling Park. Two miles from Rice is The Astrodome, Reliant Stadium and Reliant Center.

That's got be very close to the most stadium seats in the country within that small of an area. From my understanding that's one of the reasons Houston is being considered for the Olympics again, the infrastructure needed is largely in place. Neither Dallas nor Atlanta is remotely close to having these types of facilities in such close proximity of each other.

Has everyone conveniently forgotten that Houston slipped to #6 on the fat list? It's now below Detroit, Dallas, Chicago and whichever other cities they were. No one ever acknowledges

that. Not even Houstonians. I'm starting to think maybe Houstonians like being considered as fat. It's all a bunch of baloney anyway. I guess it was only amusing when it was Houston at #1.

gonzo1976:

Everyone's heard of the Astrodome, at least.

A couple of months while watching an episode of "What's Happening!!" on TV Land, the Astrodome was used as a comparison (and insult) to Rerun's size.

It was also referenced on a "recent" rerun of "The Golden Girls".

Oh c'mon. People don't think "yeah Houston, it's full of fat people". Most certainly it's known for the dome and pollution but not for being fat.

I've lived away from Houston for five years now and when the city was saddled with the "Fattest City" title, it was probably the worst PR the city could have received. It doesn't matter that the city lost the title or that it was years ago, a title like that (much like most polluted, murder capital) tends to stick. Heck, I think someone recently made a documentary about Houston being the fattest city. It doesn't help when that gets repeat airings on TV.

I've lived away from Houston for five years now and when the city was saddled with the "Fattest City" title, it was probably the worst PR the city could have received. It doesn't matter that the city lost the title or that it was years ago, a title like that (much like most polluted, murder capital) tends to stick. Heck, I think someone recently made a documentary about Houston being the fattest city. It doesn't help when that gets repeat airings on TV.

My friend you need to get out a little more.

I travel through the states all the time, and not once have I heard the infamous reference, "Fattest city"acknowledged. It's only with those that pay attention to stupid polls (this one's especially stupid) that give any credence to this. Also following your logic, that would mean Dallas will pay heavily for it's new placing in the "fattest city" poll along with every other city that get's the number one stat. My prediction is.. It won't effect any of them at all.

Your also way out in refernce to Houston being the murder capitol, in fact it's not even in the top 10.

Murder capitols in order

1.) Washington DC

2.) Detroit

3.) Baltimore

4.) Memphis

5.) Chicago

6.) Philadelphia

7.) Columbus

8.) Milwaukee

9.) L.A.

10.) Dallas

most people I know associate Houston as being the fattest city, the pollution or the Astrodome. Everyone's heard of the Astrodome, at least.

actually, most people internationally know houston for space.

domestically, the fattest city thing has pretty much faded.

actually, most people internationally know houston for space.

domestically, the fattest city thing has pretty much faded.

My thought too - most people think of NASA when they hear Houston. I also think the Astrodome definitely sticks in their minds. Now they also think of Hurricane Katrina and our city's response (good PR) and Enron and Andrea Yates (bad PR that I think will fade away over time -esp. Enron now that Ken Lay died). People who are involved/ interested in fine arts nationwide also know us for our great museums, world class ballet and symphony, etc... I've also heard people talk about how nice we are. Once I was in Las vegas airport and heard 2 women talking about a friend of theirs that was moving to Houston. They said he'd love it and fit in well b/c the people are so friendly there! I just smiled to myself and walked on out.

Your also way out in refernce to Houston being the murder capitol, in fact it's not even in the top 10.

I did not say that. I said titles like fattest city (much like other negative titles as "murder capital" and "most polluted") tend to stick to a city.

I'm not saying the city deserves the title. In fact, it's a silly ranking. But winning the title four times in the last five years does not help the city's stature. No other city has received that title as often as Houston has.

I've traveled the nation, too, and people I've spoken with associate that title with the city more than anything that's happened in Houston in recent history (though Enron comes close).

......I've also heard people talk about how nice we are. Once I was in Las vegas airport and heard 2 women talking about a friend of theirs that was moving to Houston. They said he'd love it and fit in well b/c the people are so friendly there! I just smiled to myself and walked on out.

I've heard many times that Houstonians are the most friendliest people. I've heard this in both business and personal relationships. It is a great thing to be recognized for, and I totally agree with the statement.

Not that this has anything to do with Dallas or Atlanta, but I recently was in Florida for a couple of weeks, and those people are NOT friendly. Example, when entering Walmart, you have to get your own cart and there is no "welcome to walmart" person at the door. The "May I help you" people on the floor make is very clear they do not want to help. I said to my friend..."We are not in Texas anymore!" Don't get me wrong, I really like Florida, but I would never live there and I can do without the people and the drivers. Sorry for getting off topic.

I have a theory. Dallas is actually a pretty small city, geographically. All around Dallas are suburban cities...beyond those are more suburban cities. ...

Come on, I know Houston is gigantic. But who would consider a city with 342 square miles of area "pretty small geographically"? A trip from the George Bush Turnpike in Far North Dallas to South of I-20 in Mountain Creek can easily span nearly 40 miles. Small geographically? Try San Francisco, Miami, or Atlanta -- but Dallas? Hardly.

I've heard many times that Houstonians are the most friendliest people. I've heard this in both business and personal relationships. It is a great thing to be recognized for, and I totally agree with the statement.

Not that this has anything to do with Dallas or Atlanta, but I recently was in Florida for a couple of weeks, and those people are NOT friendly. Example, when entering Walmart, you have to get your own cart and there is no "welcome to walmart" person at the door. The "May I help you" people on the floor make is very clear they do not want to help. I said to my friend..."We are not in Texas anymore!" Don't get me wrong, I really like Florida, but I would never live there and I can do without the people and the drivers. Sorry for getting off topic.

yup. after nearly ten yrs in Tampa, i can agree with that.

Come on, I know Houston is gigantic. But who would consider a city with 342 square miles of area "pretty small geographically"? A trip from the George Bush Turnpike in Far North Dallas to South of I-20 in Mountain Creek can easily span nearly 40 miles. Small geographically? Try San Francisco, Miami, or Atlanta -- but Dallas? Hardly.

I agree, Dallas is anything but small. And to that point, when you're driving around any big city, you really don't pay attention to the city limit signs. How many people drive around LA thinking to themselves - thank goodness I finally made it out of LA as they pass into Long Beach... No, when you're in any of the suburbs around LA, you still have the whole impression of "LA is massive" because it just seems to never end. It's the same thing in any city where you just seem to drive forever without really ever leaving cityscape. Maybe people in the forums who pay attention to statistics will notice, but the general population doesn't. Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, LA... all the major sunbelt cities in the US have massive amounts of sprawl regardless of whether or not it's centralized city or suburban infrastructure. Now, I will say that Houston is a little bit of an exception to the rule because unlike most other major sunbelt cities, Houston proper is much more dominant that the suburbs surrounding it thanks to Houston's aggressive annexation campain. However, while driving around DFW you get that same "endless big city" feel even though you're passing through a lot of suburbs.

I think it's crazy how big some of the US cities are getting in terms of land and population. Atlanta is a small city population-wise, but Atlanta metro is huge... clost to that of Houston Metro, if I'm not mistaken (and I could be). Houston is a huge city and huge metro of over 5 million. Dallas, is also a huge city with an even bigger metro footprint and population of over 6 million. All three cities also have very impressive skylines too.

Now, I will say that Houston is a little bit of an exception to the rule because unlike most other major sunbelt cities, Houston proper is much more dominant that the suburbs surrounding it thanks to Houston's aggressive annexation campain. However, while driving around DFW you get that same "endless big city" feel even though you're passing through a lot of suburbs.

If I may: this is one of the distinctions I was trying to make earlier. When I have traveled on many occasions through Dallas on my way to Fort Worth, I noticed a definite difference in the "feel", if you will, of Dallas compared to Houston, at least the south and west side of BigD. And I have heard that the northeast side of Dallas has a similar feel, as described by a couple DFW posters. But for me, it was a very pleasant and almost soothing feel. The natural side of the area just stood out to me. As I had eluded, the natural terrain seemed to be the predominant thing, namely, the hills and the abundance of prairie-like vegitation all around. This is a good thing to many people. The contrast is seen immediately when you come back to Houston on I-45. At some point just south of Conroe, you start to feel the infrastructure start to take over. The traffic quickly builds, concrete and steel become your environment, and you have masses amounts of commerce on both sides of the freeway, growing in all directions into a sea of bridges and ramps, busses and cars, and masses of people as you enter the city limits. Buildings then become prominent until you reach the Sam Houston Tollway, at which point there is no doubt that you are in the city. If you go east you get even more of it, where huge bridges cross over the ship channel and the Port of Houston, tunnels run underneath it, and all around is this sea of industry with factories and plants spewing smoke and industrial byproduct into the sky. The natural world has pretty much dissapeared and is not to be seen until you exit the city 35 miles or 1.5 hours later, which ever comes first. To many people, especially those of the Austin variety, the terrain in Dallas is much more inviting because it still looks and feels like nature. And that is the distinction I was trying to make.

I'm not as familiar with Houston as with Dallas and Atlanta, but I think Houston's the prettiest, just a little prettier than Atlanta.

I actually dont believe Houston is pretty. I mean, common, there's all kind's of man made "things" that pop up all around you where you least expect it. I know, you can find "pretty" in RiceU, WestU, Montrose, Clear Lake even, RiverOaks, SpringBranch, and countless other parts. But the ugly is also around too. There is a small part of me that wishes that parts of Houston were a tad bit nicer. I have been to Seattle and San Francisco, and those cities are pretty. But it doesnt matter all that much to me because, personally, I like grit. I like traffic and I like to be surround by millions of people. I like a big city feel. I prefer that over nature. But that's a personal thing that I understand many people do not share.

...just speaking in relative terms.

I did not say that. I said titles like fattest city (much like other negative titles as "murder capital" and "most polluted") tend to stick to a city.

I'm not saying the city deserves the title. In fact, it's a silly ranking. But winning the title four times in the last five years does not help the city's stature. No other city has received that title as often as Houston has.

I've traveled the nation, too, and people I've spoken with associate that title with the city more than anything that's happened in Houston in recent history (though Enron comes close).

I travel around quite often as well... and host business associates from around the country. I have found that people never mention the Fat Title. In fact, the only time I hear it mentioned is by people in Houston - from Houston - just calling it to other people's attention! It is amazing to me that many times we are our worst enemies when trying to put a good face on the city. Many, many times I've heard people compliment Houston for a variety of reasons... only to hear someone say "yeah, but we're fat!" or "but it is sooo hot" or "too bad the air is polluted." You even see it in this forum from time to time. Having lived in many other cities, with equally profound issues, I rarely heard those same responses.

I really like this town... and I know it does have issues. But we need to learn to take compliments - and put stupid fat titles in perspective. For example, Houston was just listed as the third best city in the nation for business and careers by Forbes Magazine. That's enviable... and far more important for all of us (and based on economic facts) than some ridiculous fatness index (our whole country is getting obese!). Yet, here we go again... somebody pops off about Fat Houston when talking about the city rather than talking about a healthy business climate. Unreal. :angry2:

Back to the original question... Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta have more similarities than differences in the way they are developing... and share common issues. There are specific differences in their economic bases and demographics... but all have well outperformed the nation in employment growth over the past 15 years. All, also, have enviable housing and living costs... and have recently started focusing more on quality of life enhancements - Atlanta (large park system expansion), Dallas (Trinity River Project), and Houston (bayou and park system clean up and enhancement). As mentioned before, Dallas and Atlanta have more recent experiences with mixed-use, high-density developments... but Houston is catching up in short order with many projects in the finance or design stage. All in all, these are the three economic horses of the Southern United States... and have a lot to offer their citizens.

I agree with firstngoal. Not one time in the 16 years that I have lived in California has anyone ever once brought up the "fattest city" title whenever I start talking about Houston - which I do often. The only thing I ever hear anyone complaining about is that Houston is too hot. This usually comes from people who stay indoors all day long anyway and are too stupid to figure out how to turn on an air conditioner.

The fat thing would have died out years ago if only the people of Houston would let it.

One obvious difference Dallas has, compaired to the other two cities mentioned, it has another major city "FORT WORTH" one county over connected to it be freeways and commuter train to form a mega regional area known locally as the Metroplex. Houston and Atlanta hold thier own. Without FW, Dallas' metro population wouldn't be as big as it is claimed now.

B) I just entered this forum. I am a native Texan and I am not a youngester! I really get tired of this.

Dallas and Houston for some unknown reason has always had this little fued going own. Which is better? Once telling a lady, I knew from Dallas, that I had the impression that people in Dallas, thought they were better than us. She replied, that they were raised to think that. That she herself thought that, until she moved here.

Houston grew up as an industrial city. It is now , just as soficated, finanicial, fashion centered and technological as any other major city. It has one of the worlds, most reknowned medical centers, art center, museums and of course "NASA".

Dallas began with cattle and dirt farmers (some of my family among them). Each city's ancestors fought for the state's independence from Mexico. We each have kids fighting in Iraq now. So what does it matter?

I was born on Galveston Island and have lived in both Houston and Dallas area for many years.

People say "Dallas" skyline and they are speaking about Las Collians other surrounding towns. Dallas does have a fairly nice entry with the hills, while Houston has a nice entry with the skyscrapers at night. This buildings are truely in Houston!

Dallas has dry humidity, Houston has wet humidity. The weather changes a lot faster in Dallas area than in the Houston area. I've seen it go from 70 in the AM to 30 in the PM with snow on the ground. I lived there for 22 years. Houston has hurricans and flooding due to over building. I really don't think there is much of a difference between the two.

With the exception of one daughter-in-law, we are all native Texans from our great-great-grandparents down. Native Texans are like a large family, we may argue and fight among ourselves, but when it comes down to the nitty-gritty, we stick together. It's an attitude. You have to have lived in the state at least 20 years, before you are consider a "Texan" by us! That's being generous. Even more, you have to have the feeling of being "A Texan" to the point where you won't move anywhere else. Not just a resident. You have to love the state inspite of or because of it's every changing weather, bugs, terrain and people to be a True Texan.

So, to sum it up, I wouldn't trade any of them, Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio and all the little places in between and it doesn't matter which is newer or looks better. It's all Texas and I love it.

"most people I know associate Houston as being the fattest city, the pollution or the Astrodome".

Now let's look at my response.

"Oh c'mon. People don't think "yeah Houston, it's full of fat people". Most certainly it's known for the dome and pollution but not for being fat."

Seems I'm right on track at this point, but you correct me if I'm wrong. <_<

Now let's look at statement number two by Gonzo.

"I've lived away from Houston for five years now and when the city was saddled with the "Fattest City" title, it was probably the worst PR the city could have received. It doesn't matter that the city lost the title or that it was years ago, a title like that (much like most polluted, murder capital) tends to stick. Heck, I think someone recently made a documentary about Houston being the fattest city. It doesn't help when that gets repeat airings on TV".

Once again let's look at my response.

My friend you need to get out a little more.

"I travel through the states all the time, and not once have I heard the infamous reference, "Fattest city"acknowledged. It's only with those that pay attention to stupid polls (this one's especially stupid) that give any credence to this. Also following your logic, that would mean Dallas will pay heavily for it's new placing in the "fattest city" poll along with every other city that get's the number one stat. My prediction is.. It won't effect any of them at all".

Your also way out in reference to Houston being the murder capitol, in fact it's not even in the top 10.

Murder capitols in order

1.) Washington DC

2.) Detroit

3.) Baltimore

4.) Memphis

5.) Chicago

6.) Philadelphia

7.) Columbus

8.) Milwaukee

9.) L.A.

10.) Dallas

Now when rereading the last post by Gonzo I've noticed nothing that I've misconstrued. Maybe you could set me straight. He obviously was using pollution and murder along with THE FATTEST CITY IN THE UNIVERSE to make his point. It was not a benign statement in other words.

It doesn't matter that the city lost the title or that it was years ago, a title like that (much like most polluted, murder capital) tends to stick.

I didn't get that from his comment, Gary. What I understood from this was titles like fattest city or polluted or murder capital tends to stick. He could name any strong topic that would stick and make it his point. He wasn't calling Houston a murder capital. That's what I got out of it.

I didn't get that from his comment, Gary. What I understood from this was titles like fattest city or polluted or murder capital tends to stick. He could name any strong topic that would stick and make it his point. He wasn't calling Houston a murder capital. That's what I got out of it.

Yeah I understand that, the problem is he mentions this is corolation with Houston being fat, then pollution and then murder capitol, things Houston has been noted for in the past. Also along this line am I to assume that the pollution crack was not made toward my fair city? Either way the original post that started this was rediculous.

Aside from this side argument, this still makes no sense to me. If Houston is so doomed by this stigmata, why isn't every other city doomed that makes these types of lists? People pick on Houston for some strange reason despite the fact that we are one of the most vibrant business cities in the nation. People continue to constantly dredge up negatives with regards to this city and most are without merit, at least when comparing it to other cities around the nation. Oh and please don't tell me about other cities and there superior urbanity.

I came to this forum to read about the up and comings of this city. I also came to see what the short comings were, and what was or is being done to rectify them. During that time i have come to wonder why people are so hard on Houston. I would think with the 2nd most Fortune 500 companies in the nation, home sales that have surpassed anything this city has seen, even during the oil boom, an up and coming downtown/ Med Center, and a mentality to open it's arms to hundreds of thousands of residents from a ravaged city, would make us an envy to the nation. Instead I hear that Houston will have a very difficult time recuperating from being deemed the nations fattest city? On top of that, that term's severity is seemingly being compared to being a murder capitol? You've got to be kidding me!

Houston is doing great! It certainly needs to improve in certain areas but all in all things are good. Just don't bring up such STUPID trivial polls to make your point.

Houston is great, count your blessings.

personally, im one of the few that think all three cities are different. i honestly think they share more differences than similarities, and the similarities they share are more common with most american cities. the major difference is perception of each city. i honestly think this is where houston catches the short end of the stick. i think houston is just as great as any of the other cities, but most people associate houston with oil and energy. not that fat city crap, not space (which goes to fla. because thats where most take offs and landings are, the only thing people know houston for is for that quote, i think we have a problem houston...other than that, no one associates houston with space) or any of those other stupid things yall mention. unlike atlanta and dallas, houston is much more of an industrial city and gets unfairly hammered for being such. i also think that 4th largest city thing hurts houston, because they dont have anything to back it up. when you say 4th largest city, most people think ny, la, chi, then.....................................houston. it isnt like the other three, and most people upon visiting houston are expecting to see the 4th largest city (in which the average joe blow thinks of as metro) in the nation. i thought houston did themselves a great disservice by not fighting for the hp headquarters. this was yalls only chance to grow a diverse economy. majority of houstons economy consist of oil and energy.

personally, despite dallas' claim to be the largest, i think atlanta has the brightest future, as far as infill development. many of its newcomers are from the noreast, and want to live within an active setting, unlike the many californians moving to texas looking for more suburban homes. in the future i think they will have many more entertainment options, and create that true sense of new age urbantry (especially with their large downtown college population). they will have to lose that negative hip hop image though, because this is pushing many white as well as black professionals away. i honestly think that atlanta and dallas have much more in common out of the three, especially with both having diverse economies and being land locked due to suburbs, so both can only go up. also these "trendy" projects are passing through both cities.

dallas is a bit more cosmo because they have sold that to themselves, so they act as such. same thing with them being better than houstonites, because they grew up believing it, and acted as such, even though they arent. dallas problem is its suburbs (and will soon be atlanta's problem). other than l.a. and phoenix, its one of the only other large cities that has to compete extensively with its suburbs. every city has a convention center, hotels, airport,mall, sports stadium, same set of restaurants, and some sort of skyline. if dallas can find a way to control that growth, they will be alright, but that city keeps going farther north, and southwest. weather is also a huge issue. they have the most extreme summers and winters. no in between really. i would give atlanta the edge for weather, although there winters are a little harsh. i have a friend whose a nurse in lewisville, that strongly considered moving away because of their lack of trees and forest as well. she wanted to move to atlanta (but was hesitant because of the negative hip hop image, and she is black). she told me that everytime theres a park or forest, or some kind of trees, they tear them down to build a strip center, and she was tired of it. she loved the natural beauty of atlanta. one thing i personally love about dallas is their business climate, which i think can propel it above many, and the fact that they are attracting huge chunks of black professionals (which is important to me)

but thats it, sorry for ranting.

Archived