Does Anyone Remember Tinsley's Chicken 'n Rolls?

• 3 weeks later...
Anybody remember Ron's Krispy Fried Chicken?

It was in Sagemont. I think it's a Church's now.

Yes, I remember Ron's Krispy Fried Chicken. This may sound rather stupid, but I came on the web tonight looking info about Ron's.

I never ate at the store on Sagemont, but in the early 80's I lived in Angleton, Texas. Ron's had a location just down the street from the place I was working at the time. I did'nt even like fried chicken at the time, but I soon became a born again southern fried chicken eating fool. I ate so much of Ron's fried chicken I thought I was gonna turn into a chicken.

Best darn yard bird I ever had (sorry Grandma). I could've kicked Ron's ass when they sold out to Church's Chicken (yuck). Man, I never would've killed that golden goose. I'm sure they had a no compete

clause in their contract with Church's.

If anybody reading this post in the future has any info about Ron's operation I.E. the recipe they used or any other info I'd be very interested in talking with them. Don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Mackz :D

• 2 weeks later...
I was looking on Micro-Flim of the Bryan-College Station Eagle the other day and I noticed an old fast food restaurant opening College Station called "Tinsley's Chicken 'n Rolls" Boss Bird. It Also had double drive thru. Do any of you remember this restaurant? Was it a chain?

This was around November 1979.

Tinsley's was owned by David Tinsley of Huntsville, Texas. The original one was in Hunstville and is now closed. He also owned Tinsley's chicken that was bought out by either Churches or Hartz. He also owned a restarant in Huntsville by the name of Steak adn Spirits. I worked there during my college days.

David got into trouble with the law back in the 70's. I believe all the restarants are now closed.

• 4 months later...

OK, so I know it is a little late for this info (almost 1 year), but here it goes......

My very first job out of High School was working in the corporate offices of Tinsley's Chicken N Rolls. Yes, it was in Huntsville, TX and the corporate office was right off of I 45. Elenore Tinsley was the founder and her grandson, George (I think) Tinsley held the business until 1986. The business was sold to Church's Fried Chicken during that year. There were 35 chains throughout Texas.

Due to the contractual agreement with Church's, Tinsley's could not open any Chicken joint for 20 years. The fast food cafeteria that was being referred to was a new concept for Tinsleys to break into...sort of a Golden Corral, but for Chicken.....since it was not really "fast food" it was allowed.

I believe after the 20 year contract, Tinsley's opened up Chicken Express....the same concept of opening small chicken stores in small towns with only a few locations in big urban settings.

I left Hunstville after the merger and became a bartender in Houston, TX, wherein 10 years later I ran into a wonderful lady who was the actual BOSS BIRD. She brought in the chicken feet shoes from the costume and I got to wear them all night long....sort of like a dream come true....sad dream, admitedly, but true....

Hope this helps....

I was looking on Micro-Flim of the Bryan-College Station Eagle the other day and I noticed an old fast food restaurant opening College Station called "Tinsley's Chicken 'n Rolls" Boss Bird. It Also had double drive thru. Do any of you remember this restaurant? Was it a chain?

This was around November 1979.

Tinsley's in downtown Bryan was on the Southwest corner of MLK (19th) and Texas next to the ICE HOUSE and Whitey's Store.

That picture is the Kentucky Fried Chicken in College Station.

Pepe's was located next to the Whataburger in College Station.

Across from the Tejas center on Villa Maria was "TACO VILLA" not Del Taco.

• 5 weeks later...

There was also a Tinsley's in Tomball and I think there was one in Conroe as well. I seem to remember they had an old DC-3 called the Boss Bird, and I remember my dad telling me something like the owners had used the plane to smuggle drugs and that spelled the end of Tinsley's Chicken, don't know for sure if that was true or not.

• 2 weeks later...

HEY guys! I just found this site, and it has brought me back so many memories of my youth!! I am from Minnesota, but moved to College Station, TX in 1984 until 1986. I was going to Oakwood and A&M Junior High during that time, and I remember spending a LOT of time at that Pooh's Park with my cousin back then. Also after church,-(that church next to Tinsley's is Washington Chapel, I believe), we headed over to the Boss Bird for some of that great chicken and divine rolls. Anyone have ANY pictures they could post of the old Poohs Park and Tinsleys? That would bring back so many memories. Before we moved back to Minnesota in 1986, I remember there was a Piggly Wiggly and a Winn Dixie in that area too. I also remember, in 1985, that was the very first time I ever saw a Fudruckers, on Texas Ave.

You would not recognize where Tinley's or Pooh's Park was. In that space there is now Hobby Lobby, Ross, PetCo, Starbucks, etc. The CS Winn Dixie is now a Lacks furniture store, the only Piggly Wiggly I can think of that was around then was in Bryan and is now a Dollar General, about a block from where a Hooter's will be built.

I can envision Pooh's Park in my mind, but don't know that I have ever seen a picture of it.

A bowling alley, skating rink, mini-golf, go-karts(I think?), bumper cars and a HUGE water slide all in one place, not bad for a community of about 60,000 in BCS at the time.

You would not recognize where Tinley's or Pooh's Park was. In that space there is now Hobby Lobby, Ross, PetCo, Starbucks, etc. The CS Winn Dixie is now a Lacks furniture store, the only Piggly Wiggly I can think of that was around then was in Bryan and is now a Dollar General, about a block from where a Hooter's will be built.

I can envision Pooh's Park in my mind, but don't know that I have ever seen a picture of it.

A bowling alley, skating rink, mini-golf, go-karts(I think?), bumper cars and a HUGE water slide all in one place, not bad for a community of about 60,000 in BCS at the time.

Hi Scotch. Thanks for the response. I remember that hugh water slide too, and I believe there was some kind of rocket or old model plane or something in the back lot. My memory is kind of fuzzy from then, so I am thinking that is what I saw in the back of Pooh's Park. There was a laundry mat that was kind of kiddie corner to Pooh's Park from what I remember. Seems like they tore most of that stuff down and replaced it with modern stuff. I do remember now, that the Piggly Wiggly was over on the Bryan side. Some other interesting places in C.S. that I remember was a hugh ClothesTime store,(Havent seen one of those since the 80's), a daycare called Kiddie Castle-where my mom used to work, Jack-n-the Box(we don't have any of those where I live now), and I don't know if anyone on this board went to Oakwood, but I remember there was this kind of mini-town with these little mini-houses behind the school. To this day I still wonder what in the world that was. I wonder if Oakwood school is even there still. I went to Oakwood in 1984/85 mind you, so it's been AGES ago!!!!!!!!

Oakwood is still a school in the CSISD system, I think it is called Oakwood Middle School. The place with the little building was called "Safety City" or something like that. I went to BISD schools, but we took a field trip to SC to learn about fire safety, etc.

• 9 months later...

Yes, before Golden Wok was Golden Chick, a fried chicken place featuring (on the facade) a chicken wearing glasses. Next to that was a Texaco (a nice one), torn down for a Walgreen's.

And Oakwood was originally 5th grade, but they changed it to 5th and 6th. The dog on the Pooh's Park sign stayed for a long while, even after the site was redeveloped.

• 8 months later...

Believe it or not, a NEW Tinsley's is opening up here in Huntsville. It's where the KFC was as it closed and moved out a few years ago.

In case everyone thinks I'm nuts: Tinsley's Help Wanted Ad

I've only lived here for about 11 years so knew nothing of this chain and happened upon this thread looking for info about it. I must say I learned a lot. I didn't know it is (or was) a native Huntsville chain.

It may have been on this thread, but I'm pretty sure it is somewhere on HAIF, that former Tinsey's owners(who sold the chain in the early 90's?) are the current Chicken Express owners. They just had to wait for a non-compete clause to run out before opening Chicken Express. They probably are just going back to using the Tinsley's name in Huntsville.

Edited by Scotch

• 2 weeks later...

I was guessing that the C.E. people were just using the Tinsley's name in Huntsville. I just was over there Saturday though and it is definately a Tinsley's "Chicken & Rolls", and Chicken 'n Rolls can't be missed on the sign.

It is on Hwy. 30 just past the Post Office as you are entering Huntsville from BCS, a block before I-45, so if you ever get the craving you should be able to get there in about 40-45 minutes.

It may have been on this thread, but I'm pretty sure it is somewhere on HAIF, that former Tinsey's owners(who sold the chain in the early 90's?) are the current Chicken Express owners. They just had to wait for a non-compete clause to run out before opening Chicken Express. They probably are just going back to using the Tinsley's name in Huntsville.

Nope, you are incorrect. David Tinsley is THE owner of Tinsley's Chicken and Rolls and always was. They had over 30 franchises across the state of Texas at their peak. They were sold to Church's in the 1980's with a "no compete" clause. Chicken Express has nothing to do with Tinsley's. David has had other business ventures including Steak n' Spirits, The Elite in Waco (now sold to new owners) and he currently owns The Health Camp, also in Waco. They new restaurant will be the original Tinsley's Chicken and Rolls.

Edited by angie00708

• 4 weeks later...
Nope, you are incorrect. David Tinsley is THE owner of Tinsley's Chicken and Rolls and always was. They had over 30 franchises across the state of Texas at their peak. They were sold to Church's in the 1980's with a "no compete" clause. Chicken Express has nothing to do with Tinsley's. David has had other business ventures including Steak n' Spirits, The Elite in Waco (now sold to new owners) and he currently owns The Health Camp, also in Waco. They new restaurant will be the original Tinsley's Chicken and Rolls.

Looks like they are open back in Huntsville.. As stated on KBTX's website.. Talking about flash back of businesses... 20+ years of my life there, I remember lots of the places... i remember going to Pooh's park... skating area... but with HILLS in the skating area... it was AGED when I was there in the 80's... B/CS has became a hugE place.. and honestly.. I like to visit, but glad I don't live there anymore...

JS

:D Yep... just had some a few minutes ago (Sunday, December 14th, 2008)!

Tinsley's "Boss Bird" Fried Chicken has just re-opened in Huntsville this past week, after a 22 year absence... and amidst little fanfare. Having observed the crowds, they need not be "advertising" owing to the midst of enthusiasm!

The initial attendance was so overwhelming, they had to close the "dining room"... and for the present, offer only DUAL "Fly Through" service. The service is being handled by several folks that hand out menus and then hustle to take your order. There was even someone handing out free "samples" of those famous rolls. I'd have to say, that kind of service really get's my respect!

The location is approximately 1 mile west of IH45, on the north side of Hwy 30 (across from Bank of America). From the south, exit IH45 to the right (3rd Huntsille exit), as though you were going to College Station. Likewise, from the north, exit right at the 2nd Huntville exit and turn right on Hwy 30.

We've had "Boss Bird" chicken twice since they opened on December 8th... and it won't be long before we're going back again!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
My uncle was the owner of the Tinsley's in College Station and Hempstead and my father and 4 other men owned the one in Stafford, texas

Porter Woliver owned the Navasota and Hempstead locations. David Tinsley never sold the College Station location as a franchise. There was a group of men that own several franchises including the Stafford franchise.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Is Del Taco alive & kicking still in California? There used to be Del Tacos all over here. One was across from Klein more moons ago than I care to admit. You still see the old Del Taco buildings scattered around town converted to different uses. I think there is a Shipley's in one on Richmond between Sears and the spur, Frank's grill is in one over on Magnum behind NW mall.

As for Tinsley's, I remember them in Huntsville. I thought they were bought out by Hartz or something. I'm not sure.

I can't believe that someone remembers that Del Taco across from Del Mar stadium on Mangum! lolol that was around 1979 when i last went there. I've seen Tinsley's before years ago, but I don't remember where :S WOW - okay I know this is off subject but if someone actually remembers Del Taco on mangum, do you happen to remember Monterey House that was located in what was until a few years ago Theater Suburbia, in the little strip parking lot that was just torn down relatively recently and now stands a new credit union building ~ All this happened @ northwest corner of 43rd street and Oak Forest. and here's one for extra credit, not a food establishment, sorry: Sheli's Surf Shop on Judiway across the street from the pool in the park. The original building(little shack really) is no longer there, but i know the business was open until thru the early 1980's ????

Tinsley's was owned by David Tinsley of Huntsville, Texas. The original one was in Hunstville and is now closed. He also owned Tinsley's chicken that was bought out by either Churches or Hartz. He also owned a restarant in Huntsville by the name of Steak adn Spirits. I worked there during my college days.

David got into trouble with the law back in the 70's. I believe all the restarants are now closed.

Yes David Tinsley was the owner but Huntsville wasn't his 1st location, the 1st location was in Lufkin on Hy 59. He owned a chicken farm there or near there. My ex-wife and I would take regular trips to Shreveport from Houston through out the 70s and we watched the 1st Tinsley's rise out of the ground on those frequent trips. We met David he would come sit with us and talk with us while we ate. What made Tinsley's chicken different was the size of chicken. His chickens had a huge breast and thigh. He told us that he was opening a new in in Huntsville one day. Then we saw them popping up all aver Texas.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody remember Ron's Krispy Fried Chicken?

It was in Sagemont. I think it's a Church's now.

Ron's Krispy Fried Chicken was owned by my grandfather, Ron Woodall. He'll be thrilled to know that someone remembers his restaurant!

As for me, I'm simply jealous. I was too young to even get to taste the chicken! I've heard it was delicious, though. :)