Sign in to follow this  
citykid09

Does anyone remember Tinsley's Chicken 'n Rolls?

I was looking on Micro-Flim of the Bryan-College Station Eagle the other day and I noticed an old fast food restaurant opening College Station called "Tinsley's Chicken 'n Rolls" Boss Bird. It Also had double drive thru. Do any of you remember this restaurant? Was it a chain?

This was around November 1979.

I was looking on Micro-Flim of the Bryan-College Station Eagle the other day and I noticed an old fast food restaurant opening College Station called "Tinsley's Chicken 'n Rolls" Boss Bird. It Also had double drive thru. Do any of you remember this restaurant? Was it a chain?

I remember Tinsley's being here, but not much else about it. I graduated from BHS in '79. I guess I killed too many brain cells back then...

I remember Tinsley's being here, but not much else about it. I graduated from BHS in '79. I guess I killed too many brain cells back then...

I too remember seeing those. I was born in 71 so they must have lasted until the 80's at least or I would have never heard of the chain. I could not tell you where I have seen these stores.

I too remember seeing those. I was born in 71 so they must have lasted until the 80's at least or I would have never heard of the chain. I could not tell you where I have seen these stores.

I wonder were they just in Bryan/College Station or more than that?

I could not find anything about Tinsley's Chicken 'n Rolls on the internet.

I blame Tinsley's for my love of carbohydrates. They had awesome chicken and their rolls were great. They had honey available in bottles at the table and they were mmm, mmm good. I was pretty young when they left B/CS but I'd bet they failed from poor management as opposed to not having good food.

The last Tinsley's that I know of was in Huntsville on I-45 and was mainly a cafeteria. I'm pretty sure it was the "flagship" of the chain. I believe it finally closed about five years ago.

The location of Tinley's I remember for sure was the current China Wok Express accross from the Tejas Center. Other possible locations were the Gath's location at Martin Luther King(might have been a block or two away though, as I think Popeye's was once in the Gath's location) and one in College Station. I'm not sure at all of the CS location, maybe what became Quick As A Flash(later Ritz?) across from Whataburger on Dominic?

Did the article mention a location?

Edited by Scotch

I blame Tinsley's for my love of carbohydrates. They had awesome chicken and their rolls were great. They had honey available in bottles at the table and they were mmm, mmm good. I was pretty young when they left B/CS but I'd bet they failed from poor management as opposed to not having good food.

The last Tinsley's that I know of was in Huntsville on I-45 and was mainly a cafeteria. I'm pretty sure it was the "flagship" of the chain. I believe it finally closed about five years ago.

The location of Tinley's I remember for sure was the current China Wok Express accross from the Tejas Center. Other possible locations were the Gath's location at Martin Luther King(might have been a block or two away though, as I think Popeye's was once in the Gath's location) and one in College Station. I'm not sure at all of the CS location, maybe what became Quick As A Flash(later Ritz?) across from Whataburger on Dominic?

Did the article mention a location?

Yes and I wrote it down. It was:

1905 Texas Ave

College Station

Are you sure that the China Wok in Bryan was one? I remembered it as a chicken place a few years back. But I don't remember it being Tinsley's. This was about 95-96??? Somewhere in there, and they had Texas A&M wallpaper and other A&M stuff everywhere. It was kind of like Chicken Express. Was that Tinsley's????

How old is that China Wok Building?

OK, I remember for sure where the Tinsley's College Station was. It was located by a church and next to Pooh's Park. Old timers will remember this. The church may still be there, but the old Pooh's Park area is where the Hobby Lobby center is.

The location across from Manor East Mall probably was a few other things after Tinsley's moved out and before China Wok express moved in.

Now that I think more about it, I think the other location was on the side of the street that Church's Chicken is currently on around 22nd St.

Now that I think more about it, I think the other location was on the side of the street that Church's Chicken is currently on around 22nd St.

Did it use to be where Daylight Dougnuts was? And its now a used car dealership? I think the car dealer might have gone out of business also.

I also saw on the micro film Weingarten's Food Stores. Where were those at?

Edited by citykid09

Could have been, I'm not quite sure of that location. I want to say for a while there was Church's, Tinsley's and Popeye's within a few blocks of each other, that was a long time ago though and I can't be sure.

I had forgotten about Weingarten's but my father told me it was where The Bend, the bingo hall and C&J's BBQ is now. I thought Safeway had been there, but I'm sure he is right as there was a Safeway where the Health Dept. currently is.

Could have been, I'm not quite sure of that location. I want to say for a while there was Church's, Tinsley's and Popeye's within a few blocks of each other, that was a long time ago though and I can't be sure.

I had forgotten about Weingarten's but my father told me it was where The Bend, the bingo hall and C&J's BBQ is now. I thought Safeway had been there, but I'm sure he is right as there was a Safeway where the Health Dept. currently is.

I remember Safeway where The Bend is and a Movie Rental (among other things) place where C&J's is. Then I remeber Appletree came in. Unless I remeber wrong.

What else did we have here thats not here now. I remember Checkers in College Station where Sammy Express is now.

Hmm, ok here is what probably happened. Safeway was where the Health Dept. is, then when Weingarten's went out of biz or whatever, Safeway moved to the bend location and even survivied to the Appletree name change.

Things that have been here before that are no longer here? Wow, that would be a big list.

Here's a start:

Pooh's Park: Bowling Alley(closed earlier than the other attractions), mini-golf, skating and Water Slide. I'm pretty sure it included a go-cart area as well. Fun place for the size city we had at the time.

Mini-golf place across from Yesterday's, close to where the hotels on the west side of Texas are.

Ft. Shiloh

K-Mart

Steak and Ale (became Oxford Street)

The Saber Inn; Julie's Place/Bombay Bicycle Club where Taco Cabana;Denny's are now

Chimney Hill Bowling center (I think the lanes made the move to Wolf Pen Family Fun Center)

Montgomery Ward's

Service Merchandise

If you just meant chains the list probably wouldn't be that big.

The corner of William J. Bryan and Texas Ave. They do the restaurant inspections and also have a clinic-type component, among other things.

The China Wok Express building across from the Tejas Center is relatively new... the old Quick as a Flash building next to it was originally a Del Taco... we used to go there in high school.

The old Quick as a Flash Building in the Culpepper Plaza parking lot used to be a KFC, I believe.

As far as old businesses go, how about Danver's restaurant on Dominik (where Blue Baker is now)? It was an Arby's type place, but they served beer... yum.

Going way back, Youngblood's restaurant on S. College where Carney's is now, and Clayton's restaurant at Texas and Villa Maria in the State Bank building. Those were the Sunday eating places when I was a very small kid, in addition to Ken Martin's when it was on Texas in Bryan (around the Fat Burger area).

Townshire shopping center - we spent a lot of time there... Sears, Woolworth, Jarrot's, Kelly's Toylane, Safeway.

Roman's Pharmacy downtown... Corbusier Chevrolet, Cade Ford (later Beal Ford). The memories are flooding back!

I have to disagree about the China Wok Express building. The building has been there about 25 years, or more. It does look pretty different than it used to, but I don't ever recall it ever being levelled and being built back from the ground up. They made is look like the Soundwaves building(since torn down) about ten years ago by putting the blue roof on it.

Was Danver's the name of the place with the A&M light fixtures and Ol'Sarge painted on the wall? I remember eating there but was very young. Before Blue Baker it was a micro-brewery and a Texas Aggie Bookstore. That place has been through alot of changes...

What all has been in the Gumby's building? (I forget what is there now)

I have to disagree about the China Wok Express building. The building has been there about 25 years, or more. It does look pretty different than it used to, but I don't ever recall it ever being levelled and being built back from the ground up. They made is look like the Soundwaves building(since torn down) about ten years ago by putting the blue roof on it.

Was Danver's the name of the place with the A&M light fixtures and Ol'Sarge painted on the wall? I remember eating there but was very young. Before Blue Baker it was a micro-brewery and a Texas Aggie Bookstore. That place has been through alot of changes...

What all has been in the Gumby's building? (I forget what is there now)

Not sure about the China Wok building - I recall it being a chicken place before it was remodeled for China Wok, but I still don't think it's 25 years old. I'm sure I'm wrong, though.

Yep, that was Danver's.

I think that Gumby's was originally the College Station Pepe's location.

How about Grandy's on Harvey Road in the Toys R Us shopping center?

Furrow's?

Tastee Freeze and A&W drive-ins next to each other on Texas (around where the Fairfield Inn is now). Back in the day, my parents used to take us to one of those before catching a movie at the Skyway Twin drive-in.

The China Wok Express building across from the Tejas Center is relatively new... the old Quick as a Flash building next to it was originally a Del Taco... we used to go there in high school.

The old Quick as a Flash Building in the Culpepper Plaza parking lot used to be a KFC, I believe.

As far as old businesses go, how about Danver's restaurant on Dominik (where Blue Baker is now)? It was an Arby's type place, but they served beer... yum.

Going way back, Youngblood's restaurant on S. College where Carney's is now, and Clayton's restaurant at Texas and Villa Maria in the State Bank building. Those were the Sunday eating places when I was a very small kid, in addition to Ken Martin's when it was on Texas in Bryan (around the Fat Burger area).

Townshire shopping center - we spent a lot of time there... Sears, Woolworth, Jarrot's, Kelly's Toylane, Safeway.

Roman's Pharmacy downtown... Corbusier Chevrolet, Cade Ford (later Beal Ford). The memories are flooding back!

We had Del Taco?? The same ones that are in California? I didn't know that.

We had Del Taco?? The same ones that are in California? I didn't know that.

Is Del Taco alive & kicking still in California? There used to be Del Tacos all over here. One was across from Klein more moons ago than I care to admit. You still see the old Del Taco buildings scattered around town converted to different uses. I think there is a Shipley's in one on Richmond between Sears and the spur, Frank's grill is in one over on Magnum behind NW mall.

As for Tinsley's, I remember them in Huntsville. I thought they were bought out by Hartz or something. I'm not sure.

Edited by rps324

Tinsley's in Bryan was located at the corner of Texas Avenue and Martin Luther King Street. The building is now a Mexican cafe. This location is across the street from the former Gath's Electrical Supply, which was formerly Gath's Fried Chicken, which before that was the original Bryan Popeye's Chicken.

Tinsley's in Bryan closed in the summer of 1996.

Tinsley's in Bryan was located at the corner of Texas Avenue and Martin Luther King Street. The building is now a Mexican cafe. This location is across the street from the former Gath's Electrical Supply, which was formerly Gath's Fried Chicken, which before that was the original Bryan Popeye's Chicken.

Tinsley's in Bryan closed in the summer of 1996.

There was a Tinsleys on Hiway 6 in College Station, on the left when you were headed South right after you crossed Hiway 30 - I guess that was the Pooh's park location, there was also one in Hempstead, on the South side of town, also on the left when you were heading South. Like the other poster I wondered if they were related to Youngblood's. I used to love their gizzards and gravy dinner - just like mom used to make.

Edited by AftonAg

hey, while on the subject what did gumby's pizza used to be?

the exterior looks like it was a taco bell, but inside it doesnt really look like it. Pepe Taco perhaps?

Also, is that rusty old sign with the dog on it over by the Hobby Lobby center from pooh's park? i just noticed it today...

hey, while on the subject what did gumby's pizza used to be?

the exterior looks like it was a taco bell, but inside it doesnt really look like it. Pepe Taco perhaps?

Also, is that rusty old sign with the dog on it over by the Hobby Lobby center from pooh's park? i just noticed it today...

I think I heard it was Del Taco or Pepe Taco.

I think someone earlier in the thread mentioned it was a Pepe's.

I thought the old Pooh's Park sign was finally taken down a year or two ago? It was up there for a LONG time after it closed. If I had the room I'd love to have that sign. If the rusty sign you saw had a yellow dog on it, it is THE sign.

I thought the old Pooh's Park sign was finally taken down a year or two ago? It was up there for a LONG time after it closed. If I had the room I'd love to have that sign. If the rusty sign you saw had a yellow dog on it, it is THE sign.

yep, thats it...

i'll be driving by that place today, i'll check for ya.

heh, looks like the pooh's sign is gone....

this wouldnt be the old tinsleys would it:

dscf0007in2.jpg

oh yeah, while i was out, i got some pics of the Hebrewmobile :lol:

dscf0019js7.jpg

dscf0020wp3.jpg

dscf0023ms5.jpg

Edited by zaphod

I've seen that guy around several times, but never felt like actually talking to him. I can't make sense of his car/trailer from just glancing at it, either. Does anyone know what he's doing this for? Clearly it has something to do with Isreal, but I can't figure out what.

I think the guy that owns the Hebrewmobile works at Whataburger (by Blue Baker). I use to see it parked over there all the time.

Anybody remember Ron's Krispy Fried Chicken?

It was in Sagemont. I think it's a Church's now.

Yes, I remember Ron's Krispy Fried Chicken. This may sound rather stupid, but I came on the web tonight looking info about Ron's.

I never ate at the store on Sagemont, but in the early 80's I lived in Angleton, Texas. Ron's had a location just down the street from the place I was working at the time. I did'nt even like fried chicken at the time, but I soon became a born again southern fried chicken eating fool. I ate so much of Ron's fried chicken I thought I was gonna turn into a chicken.

Best darn yard bird I ever had (sorry Grandma). I could've kicked Ron's ass when they sold out to Church's Chicken (yuck). Man, I never would've killed that golden goose. I'm sure they had a no compete

clause in their contract with Church's.

If anybody reading this post in the future has any info about Ron's operation I.E. the recipe they used or any other info I'd be very interested in talking with them. Don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Mackz :D

Tinsley's was owned by David Tinsley of Huntsville, Texas. The original one was in Hunstville and is now closed. He also owned Tinsley's chicken that was bought out by either Churches or Hartz. He also owned a restarant in Huntsville by the name of Steak adn Spirits. I worked there during my college days.

David got into trouble with the law back in the 70's. I believe all the restarants are now closed.

OK, so I know it is a little late for this info (almost 1 year), but here it goes......

My very first job out of High School was working in the corporate offices of Tinsley's Chicken N Rolls. Yes, it was in Huntsville, TX and the corporate office was right off of I 45. Elenore Tinsley was the founder and her grandson, George (I think) Tinsley held the business until 1986. The business was sold to Church's Fried Chicken during that year. There were 35 chains throughout Texas.

Due to the contractual agreement with Church's, Tinsley's could not open any Chicken joint for 20 years. The fast food cafeteria that was being referred to was a new concept for Tinsleys to break into...sort of a Golden Corral, but for Chicken.....since it was not really "fast food" it was allowed.

I believe after the 20 year contract, Tinsley's opened up Chicken Express....the same concept of opening small chicken stores in small towns with only a few locations in big urban settings.

I left Hunstville after the merger and became a bartender in Houston, TX, wherein 10 years later I ran into a wonderful lady who was the actual BOSS BIRD. She brought in the chicken feet shoes from the costume and I got to wear them all night long....sort of like a dream come true....sad dream, admitedly, but true....

Hope this helps....

Tinsley's in downtown Bryan was on the Southwest corner of MLK (19th) and Texas next to the ICE HOUSE and Whitey's Store.

That picture is the Kentucky Fried Chicken in College Station.

Pepe's was located next to the Whataburger in College Station.

Across from the Tejas center on Villa Maria was "TACO VILLA" not Del Taco.

There was also a Tinsley's in Tomball and I think there was one in Conroe as well. I seem to remember they had an old DC-3 called the Boss Bird, and I remember my dad telling me something like the owners had used the plane to smuggle drugs and that spelled the end of Tinsley's Chicken, don't know for sure if that was true or not.

HEY guys! I just found this site, and it has brought me back so many memories of my youth!! I am from Minnesota, but moved to College Station, TX in 1984 until 1986. I was going to Oakwood and A&M Junior High during that time, and I remember spending a LOT of time at that Pooh's Park with my cousin back then. Also after church,-(that church next to Tinsley's is Washington Chapel, I believe), we headed over to the Boss Bird for some of that great chicken and divine rolls. Anyone have ANY pictures they could post of the old Poohs Park and Tinsleys? That would bring back so many memories. Before we moved back to Minnesota in 1986, I remember there was a Piggly Wiggly and a Winn Dixie in that area too. I also remember, in 1985, that was the very first time I ever saw a Fudruckers, on Texas Ave.

You would not recognize where Tinley's or Pooh's Park was. In that space there is now Hobby Lobby, Ross, PetCo, Starbucks, etc. The CS Winn Dixie is now a Lacks furniture store, the only Piggly Wiggly I can think of that was around then was in Bryan and is now a Dollar General, about a block from where a Hooter's will be built.

I can envision Pooh's Park in my mind, but don't know that I have ever seen a picture of it.

A bowling alley, skating rink, mini-golf, go-karts(I think?), bumper cars and a HUGE water slide all in one place, not bad for a community of about 60,000 in BCS at the time.

You would not recognize where Tinley's or Pooh's Park was. In that space there is now Hobby Lobby, Ross, PetCo, Starbucks, etc. The CS Winn Dixie is now a Lacks furniture store, the only Piggly Wiggly I can think of that was around then was in Bryan and is now a Dollar General, about a block from where a Hooter's will be built.

I can envision Pooh's Park in my mind, but don't know that I have ever seen a picture of it.

A bowling alley, skating rink, mini-golf, go-karts(I think?), bumper cars and a HUGE water slide all in one place, not bad for a community of about 60,000 in BCS at the time.

Hi Scotch. Thanks for the response. I remember that hugh water slide too, and I believe there was some kind of rocket or old model plane or something in the back lot. My memory is kind of fuzzy from then, so I am thinking that is what I saw in the back of Pooh's Park. There was a laundry mat that was kind of kiddie corner to Pooh's Park from what I remember. Seems like they tore most of that stuff down and replaced it with modern stuff. I do remember now, that the Piggly Wiggly was over on the Bryan side. Some other interesting places in C.S. that I remember was a hugh ClothesTime store,(Havent seen one of those since the 80's), a daycare called Kiddie Castle-where my mom used to work, Jack-n-the Box(we don't have any of those where I live now), and I don't know if anyone on this board went to Oakwood, but I remember there was this kind of mini-town with these little mini-houses behind the school. To this day I still wonder what in the world that was. I wonder if Oakwood school is even there still. I went to Oakwood in 1984/85 mind you, so it's been AGES ago!!!!!!!!

Oakwood is still a school in the CSISD system, I think it is called Oakwood Middle School. The place with the little building was called "Safety City" or something like that. I went to BISD schools, but we took a field trip to SC to learn about fire safety, etc.

Yes, before Golden Wok was Golden Chick, a fried chicken place featuring (on the facade) a chicken wearing glasses. Next to that was a Texaco (a nice one), torn down for a Walgreen's.

And Oakwood was originally 5th grade, but they changed it to 5th and 6th. The dog on the Pooh's Park sign stayed for a long while, even after the site was redeveloped.

Believe it or not, a NEW Tinsley's is opening up here in Huntsville. It's where the KFC was as it closed and moved out a few years ago.

In case everyone thinks I'm nuts: Tinsley's Help Wanted Ad

I've only lived here for about 11 years so knew nothing of this chain and happened upon this thread looking for info about it. I must say I learned a lot. I didn't know it is (or was) a native Huntsville chain.

It may have been on this thread, but I'm pretty sure it is somewhere on HAIF, that former Tinsey's owners(who sold the chain in the early 90's?) are the current Chicken Express owners. They just had to wait for a non-compete clause to run out before opening Chicken Express. They probably are just going back to using the Tinsley's name in Huntsville.

Edited by Scotch

So the Tinsley's in Huntsville is probably closer to Chicken Express and not the original Chicken n Rolls? That's a bit of a disappointment. I was hoping to try it if I ever found myself in Huntsville someday. :(

I was guessing that the C.E. people were just using the Tinsley's name in Huntsville. I just was over there Saturday though and it is definately a Tinsley's "Chicken & Rolls", and Chicken 'n Rolls can't be missed on the sign.

It is on Hwy. 30 just past the Post Office as you are entering Huntsville from BCS, a block before I-45, so if you ever get the craving you should be able to get there in about 40-45 minutes.

I think Hartz bought them and kept the same colors. I think there was a Tinsley's at S. Main and Buffalo and on Memorial across from the Old I-HOP/One's a Meal. I remember them having a buffet at lunch.

It may have been on this thread, but I'm pretty sure it is somewhere on HAIF, that former Tinsey's owners(who sold the chain in the early 90's?) are the current Chicken Express owners. They just had to wait for a non-compete clause to run out before opening Chicken Express. They probably are just going back to using the Tinsley's name in Huntsville.

Nope, you are incorrect. David Tinsley is THE owner of Tinsley's Chicken and Rolls and always was. They had over 30 franchises across the state of Texas at their peak. They were sold to Church's in the 1980's with a "no compete" clause. Chicken Express has nothing to do with Tinsley's. David has had other business ventures including Steak n' Spirits, The Elite in Waco (now sold to new owners) and he currently owns The Health Camp, also in Waco. They new restaurant will be the original Tinsley's Chicken and Rolls.

Edited by angie00708

It looks like the information, which as I said I was repeating from another post, was partially incorrect. Thanks for providing the proper history of Tinsley's.

Edited by Scotch

Nope, you are incorrect. David Tinsley is THE owner of Tinsley's Chicken and Rolls and always was. They had over 30 franchises across the state of Texas at their peak. They were sold to Church's in the 1980's with a "no compete" clause. Chicken Express has nothing to do with Tinsley's. David has had other business ventures including Steak n' Spirits, The Elite in Waco (now sold to new owners) and he currently owns The Health Camp, also in Waco. They new restaurant will be the original Tinsley's Chicken and Rolls.

Looks like they are open back in Huntsville.. As stated on KBTX's website.. Talking about flash back of businesses... 20+ years of my life there, I remember lots of the places... i remember going to Pooh's park... skating area... but with HILLS in the skating area... it was AGED when I was there in the 80's... B/CS has became a hugE place.. and honestly.. I like to visit, but glad I don't live there anymore...

JS