Does Anyone Remember Tinsley's Chicken 'n Rolls?

I was looking on Micro-Flim of the Bryan-College Station Eagle the other day and I noticed an old fast food restaurant opening College Station called "Tinsley's Chicken 'n Rolls" Boss Bird. It Also had double drive thru. Do any of you remember this restaurant? Was it a chain?

This was around November 1979.

I was looking on Micro-Flim of the Bryan-College Station Eagle the other day and I noticed an old fast food restaurant opening College Station called "Tinsley's Chicken 'n Rolls" Boss Bird. It Also had double drive thru. Do any of you remember this restaurant? Was it a chain?

This was around November 1979.

I remember Tinsley's being here, but not much else about it. I graduated from BHS in '79. I guess I killed too many brain cells back then...

I remember Tinsley's being here, but not much else about it. I graduated from BHS in '79. I guess I killed too many brain cells back then...

I too remember seeing those. I was born in 71 so they must have lasted until the 80's at least or I would have never heard of the chain. I could not tell you where I have seen these stores.

I too remember seeing those. I was born in 71 so they must have lasted until the 80's at least or I would have never heard of the chain. I could not tell you where I have seen these stores.

I wonder were they just in Bryan/College Station or more than that?

I could not find anything about Tinsley's Chicken 'n Rolls on the internet.

I blame Tinsley's for my love of carbohydrates. They had awesome chicken and their rolls were great. They had honey available in bottles at the table and they were mmm, mmm good. I was pretty young when they left B/CS but I'd bet they failed from poor management as opposed to not having good food.

The last Tinsley's that I know of was in Huntsville on I-45 and was mainly a cafeteria. I'm pretty sure it was the "flagship" of the chain. I believe it finally closed about five years ago.

The location of Tinley's I remember for sure was the current China Wok Express accross from the Tejas Center. Other possible locations were the Gath's location at Martin Luther King(might have been a block or two away though, as I think Popeye's was once in the Gath's location) and one in College Station. I'm not sure at all of the CS location, maybe what became Quick As A Flash(later Ritz?) across from Whataburger on Dominic?

Did the article mention a location?

Edited by Scotch

I blame Tinsley's for my love of carbohydrates. They had awesome chicken and their rolls were great. They had honey available in bottles at the table and they were mmm, mmm good. I was pretty young when they left B/CS but I'd bet they failed from poor management as opposed to not having good food.

The last Tinsley's that I know of was in Huntsville on I-45 and was mainly a cafeteria. I'm pretty sure it was the "flagship" of the chain. I believe it finally closed about five years ago.

The location of Tinley's I remember for sure was the current China Wok Express accross from the Tejas Center. Other possible locations were the Gath's location at Martin Luther King(might have been a block or two away though, as I think Popeye's was once in the Gath's location) and one in College Station. I'm not sure at all of the CS location, maybe what became Quick As A Flash(later Ritz?) across from Whataburger on Dominic?

Did the article mention a location?

Yes and I wrote it down. It was:

1905 Texas Ave

College Station

Are you sure that the China Wok in Bryan was one? I remembered it as a chicken place a few years back. But I don't remember it being Tinsley's. This was about 95-96??? Somewhere in there, and they had Texas A&M wallpaper and other A&M stuff everywhere. It was kind of like Chicken Express. Was that Tinsley's????

How old is that China Wok Building?

OK, I remember for sure where the Tinsley's College Station was. It was located by a church and next to Pooh's Park. Old timers will remember this. The church may still be there, but the old Pooh's Park area is where the Hobby Lobby center is.

The location across from Manor East Mall probably was a few other things after Tinsley's moved out and before China Wok express moved in.

Now that I think more about it, I think the other location was on the side of the street that Church's Chicken is currently on around 22nd St.

Now that I think more about it, I think the other location was on the side of the street that Church's Chicken is currently on around 22nd St.

Did it use to be where Daylight Dougnuts was? And its now a used car dealership? I think the car dealer might have gone out of business also.

I also saw on the micro film Weingarten's Food Stores. Where were those at?

Edited by citykid09

Could have been, I'm not quite sure of that location. I want to say for a while there was Church's, Tinsley's and Popeye's within a few blocks of each other, that was a long time ago though and I can't be sure.

I had forgotten about Weingarten's but my father told me it was where The Bend, the bingo hall and C&J's BBQ is now. I thought Safeway had been there, but I'm sure he is right as there was a Safeway where the Health Dept. currently is.

Could have been, I'm not quite sure of that location. I want to say for a while there was Church's, Tinsley's and Popeye's within a few blocks of each other, that was a long time ago though and I can't be sure.

I had forgotten about Weingarten's but my father told me it was where The Bend, the bingo hall and C&J's BBQ is now. I thought Safeway had been there, but I'm sure he is right as there was a Safeway where the Health Dept. currently is.

I remember Safeway where The Bend is and a Movie Rental (among other things) place where C&J's is. Then I remeber Appletree came in. Unless I remeber wrong.

What else did we have here thats not here now. I remember Checkers in College Station where Sammy Express is now.

Hmm, ok here is what probably happened. Safeway was where the Health Dept. is, then when Weingarten's went out of biz or whatever, Safeway moved to the bend location and even survivied to the Appletree name change.

Things that have been here before that are no longer here? Wow, that would be a big list.

Here's a start:

Pooh's Park: Bowling Alley(closed earlier than the other attractions), mini-golf, skating and Water Slide. I'm pretty sure it included a go-cart area as well. Fun place for the size city we had at the time.

Mini-golf place across from Yesterday's, close to where the hotels on the west side of Texas are.

Ft. Shiloh

K-Mart

Steak and Ale (became Oxford Street)

The Saber Inn; Julie's Place/Bombay Bicycle Club where Taco Cabana;Denny's are now

Chimney Hill Bowling center (I think the lanes made the move to Wolf Pen Family Fun Center)

Montgomery Ward's

Service Merchandise

If you just meant chains the list probably wouldn't be that big.

The China Wok Express building across from the Tejas Center is relatively new... the old Quick as a Flash building next to it was originally a Del Taco... we used to go there in high school.

The old Quick as a Flash Building in the Culpepper Plaza parking lot used to be a KFC, I believe.

As far as old businesses go, how about Danver's restaurant on Dominik (where Blue Baker is now)? It was an Arby's type place, but they served beer... yum.

Going way back, Youngblood's restaurant on S. College where Carney's is now, and Clayton's restaurant at Texas and Villa Maria in the State Bank building. Those were the Sunday eating places when I was a very small kid, in addition to Ken Martin's when it was on Texas in Bryan (around the Fat Burger area).

Townshire shopping center - we spent a lot of time there... Sears, Woolworth, Jarrot's, Kelly's Toylane, Safeway.

Roman's Pharmacy downtown... Corbusier Chevrolet, Cade Ford (later Beal Ford). The memories are flooding back!

I have to disagree about the China Wok Express building. The building has been there about 25 years, or more. It does look pretty different than it used to, but I don't ever recall it ever being levelled and being built back from the ground up. They made is look like the Soundwaves building(since torn down) about ten years ago by putting the blue roof on it.

Was Danver's the name of the place with the A&M light fixtures and Ol'Sarge painted on the wall? I remember eating there but was very young. Before Blue Baker it was a micro-brewery and a Texas Aggie Bookstore. That place has been through alot of changes...

What all has been in the Gumby's building? (I forget what is there now)

I have to disagree about the China Wok Express building. The building has been there about 25 years, or more. It does look pretty different than it used to, but I don't ever recall it ever being levelled and being built back from the ground up. They made is look like the Soundwaves building(since torn down) about ten years ago by putting the blue roof on it.

Was Danver's the name of the place with the A&M light fixtures and Ol'Sarge painted on the wall? I remember eating there but was very young. Before Blue Baker it was a micro-brewery and a Texas Aggie Bookstore. That place has been through alot of changes...

What all has been in the Gumby's building? (I forget what is there now)

Not sure about the China Wok building - I recall it being a chicken place before it was remodeled for China Wok, but I still don't think it's 25 years old. I'm sure I'm wrong, though.

Yep, that was Danver's.

I think that Gumby's was originally the College Station Pepe's location.

How about Grandy's on Harvey Road in the Toys R Us shopping center?

Furrow's?

Tastee Freeze and A&W drive-ins next to each other on Texas (around where the Fairfield Inn is now). Back in the day, my parents used to take us to one of those before catching a movie at the Skyway Twin drive-in.

The China Wok Express building across from the Tejas Center is relatively new... the old Quick as a Flash building next to it was originally a Del Taco... we used to go there in high school.

The old Quick as a Flash Building in the Culpepper Plaza parking lot used to be a KFC, I believe.

As far as old businesses go, how about Danver's restaurant on Dominik (where Blue Baker is now)? It was an Arby's type place, but they served beer... yum.

Going way back, Youngblood's restaurant on S. College where Carney's is now, and Clayton's restaurant at Texas and Villa Maria in the State Bank building. Those were the Sunday eating places when I was a very small kid, in addition to Ken Martin's when it was on Texas in Bryan (around the Fat Burger area).

Townshire shopping center - we spent a lot of time there... Sears, Woolworth, Jarrot's, Kelly's Toylane, Safeway.

Roman's Pharmacy downtown... Corbusier Chevrolet, Cade Ford (later Beal Ford). The memories are flooding back!

We had Del Taco?? The same ones that are in California? I didn't know that.

We had Del Taco?? The same ones that are in California? I didn't know that.

Is Del Taco alive & kicking still in California? There used to be Del Tacos all over here. One was across from Klein more moons ago than I care to admit. You still see the old Del Taco buildings scattered around town converted to different uses. I think there is a Shipley's in one on Richmond between Sears and the spur, Frank's grill is in one over on Magnum behind NW mall.

As for Tinsley's, I remember them in Huntsville. I thought they were bought out by Hartz or something. I'm not sure.

Edited by rps324

• 3 weeks later...

Tinsley's in Bryan was located at the corner of Texas Avenue and Martin Luther King Street. The building is now a Mexican cafe. This location is across the street from the former Gath's Electrical Supply, which was formerly Gath's Fried Chicken, which before that was the original Bryan Popeye's Chicken.

Tinsley's in Bryan closed in the summer of 1996.

• 4 weeks later...
Tinsley's in Bryan was located at the corner of Texas Avenue and Martin Luther King Street. The building is now a Mexican cafe. This location is across the street from the former Gath's Electrical Supply, which was formerly Gath's Fried Chicken, which before that was the original Bryan Popeye's Chicken.

Tinsley's in Bryan closed in the summer of 1996.

There was a Tinsleys on Hiway 6 in College Station, on the left when you were headed South right after you crossed Hiway 30 - I guess that was the Pooh's park location, there was also one in Hempstead, on the South side of town, also on the left when you were heading South. Like the other poster I wondered if they were related to Youngblood's. I used to love their gizzards and gravy dinner - just like mom used to make.

Edited by AftonAg

• 2 weeks later...

hey, while on the subject what did gumby's pizza used to be?

the exterior looks like it was a taco bell, but inside it doesnt really look like it. Pepe Taco perhaps?

Also, is that rusty old sign with the dog on it over by the Hobby Lobby center from pooh's park? i just noticed it today...

hey, while on the subject what did gumby's pizza used to be?

the exterior looks like it was a taco bell, but inside it doesnt really look like it. Pepe Taco perhaps?

Also, is that rusty old sign with the dog on it over by the Hobby Lobby center from pooh's park? i just noticed it today...

I think I heard it was Del Taco or Pepe Taco.

I think someone earlier in the thread mentioned it was a Pepe's.

I thought the old Pooh's Park sign was finally taken down a year or two ago? It was up there for a LONG time after it closed. If I had the room I'd love to have that sign. If the rusty sign you saw had a yellow dog on it, it is THE sign.

I thought the old Pooh's Park sign was finally taken down a year or two ago? It was up there for a LONG time after it closed. If I had the room I'd love to have that sign. If the rusty sign you saw had a yellow dog on it, it is THE sign.

yep, thats it...

i'll be driving by that place today, i'll check for ya.

I've seen that guy around several times, but never felt like actually talking to him. I can't make sense of his car/trailer from just glancing at it, either. Does anyone know what he's doing this for? Clearly it has something to do with Isreal, but I can't figure out what.