July Mod of the Month

rps324

After wiping the drool off my lip, I came to realize just how much property values have jumped in the braeswood area. I am sure that is a decent price for such a sweet house. I would hate to have to replace one of those windows in that bad boy.

After wiping the drool off my lip, I came to realize just how much property values have jumped in the braeswood area. I am sure that is a decent price for such a sweet house. I would hate to have to replace one of those windows in that bad boy.

That is a great house. I know the mod lovers will be mad, but the first thing I would do is replace the cabinets in the kictchen. The rest of the house looks to be in fantastic shape. The green cabinets are too much for me. :D

Houston Mod's pic for the July "Mod of the Month" is a good one. It will be open this Sunday the 9th from 2 to 4 and again on the 16th. My Architectural Guide is boxed up, but I think this house is in the book, can someone verify?

July Mod of the Month

Yes, here is the complete entry:

3615 North Braeswood Boulevard

(1957) Joseph Krakower

Herb Greene's hand is evident in this low-slung house, especially in the vertical slot windows that take the place of corners and the tense profile of the hipped roof.

Next door at 3611 North Braeswood, it is the attenuated Japanese-like eaves that point to Greene's involvement (1957, Joseph Krakower).

Krakower and Greene were also responsible for Houston Typewriter Exchange Building at 2201 Caroline where Greene molded an inverted giant typewriter into the plaster soffit . Herb Greene was a former student of Bruce Goff. Greene supervised the construction of the extraordinary Goff designed house at 323 Tynebrook Lane with the giant round windows in front.

That is a great house. I know the mod lovers will be mad, but the first thing I would do is replace the cabinets in the kictchen. The rest of the house looks to be in fantastic shape. The green cabinets are too much for me. :D

I don't know about a full renovation, I think that stripping them to what I bet is natural blonde wood underneath would be perfect.

I know the mod lovers will be mad, but the first thing I would do is replace the cabinets in the kictchen. The green cabinets are too much for me. :D

TP:

Earlier you stated, "Mini Castles are cool" and inserted the same smiley face you used above. You said that statement was to be taken as a joke. To remain consistant with your earlier pattern, I believe your statement here about wanting to replace the cabinents is a joke so I agree with you. The cabinets in the kitchen are wonderful and appear to be appropriate for this house.

Glad I figured out your code.

TP:

Earlier you stated, "Mini Castles are cool" and inserted the same smiley face you used above. You said that statement was to be taken as a joke. To remain consistant with your earlier pattern, I believe your statement here about wanting to replace the cabinents is a joke so I agree with you. The cabinets in the kitchen are wonderful and appear to be appropriate for this house.

No Spaceman, you got it allllll wrong. TP is much more complex than that. :lol:

Houston Mod's pic for the July "Mod of the Month" is a good one. It will be open this Sunday the 9th from 2 to 4 and again on the 16th. My Architectural Guide is boxed up, but I think this house is in the book, can someone verify?

July Mod of the Month

please forgive me, but what is meant by 'mod' ? modern? modular? i'm serious.

thanks ... and that, i take, is a type built in the 70s ... kinda like the style of the brady's? i love those styles. there are a lot over off (i think) eldridge between westheimer and i10...

i've always liked that style.

More 50's & 60's generally.

thanks ... and that, i take, is a type built in the 70s ... kinda like the style of the brady's? i love those styles. there are a lot over off (i think) eldridge between westheimer and i10...

i've always liked that style.

Brady's would be contemporary.

TP:

I am pretty sure my posts speaks for itself.

"I know the mod lovers will be mad, but the first thing I would do is replace the cabinets in the kictchen. The green cabinets are too much for me. :D "

The smile was insterted to show that I did not mean this post to be taken too seriously. I know a true mod lovers (apparently like yourself) would most likely like those cabinets. That is great.

I am sorry my taste offends you. I am glad you have nothing better to do than analyze my posts and look for contradictory statements. I have posted over 1000 times so feel free to go back and review every post I have ever written and offer your opinions !! I will wait anxiously.

Also, will you please point me in the right direction for "Clickable Smilies" etiquitte. Obviously, I missed that memo. :blink:

I'm glad that people have responded to this posting. I had previously asked if anyone knew who designed this house in one of the "mod listings" posts...and voila...now I know. I love this house so much. Anyone going to the open house or simply driving by should also notice that there is a great mod about 4 or 5 houses west of this one. It is the white brick house with mitered windows and clerestories, very Neutra Tremaine House. Not very private, though, like this month's mod which was clearly designed to be part of nature but very private from the street.

And I have to make a coment about the kitchen cabinets. I think they are really cool, especially the way they are leaning from bottom to top. But I'm not a fan of the green either. A natural stain would look nice with the brick and the walls in the foyer and study.

i'm getting that feeling again. this house has that thing. it's a feeling i get in the pit of my stomach when i see a house that resonates with my pecular sense of style. i would feel butterflies in my stomach upon entering this house. this doesn't happen very often.

you think i'm joking. B)

It's a beautiful house. I could see the Bruce Goff influence in the details such as the triangular detail at the eaves and exterior storage doors that blend in with the siding. I really liked how Greene did a board and batten siding where the batten was cut on the diagonal...very cool!

Jersey01,

The white brick house on the corner is one of my wife's favorites in all of Houston. I agree with your point the lack of privacy, but it seems to not bother whoever lives there. Funny thing, I've never seen a person inside whenever I've driven by it, which is quite a bit, so they must have a place to hide in there somewhere!

As for a review of the house, there were elements of it that were really amazing. The master bedroom was beautiful. I loved the way that the guest bedroom had pocket doors that opened up to a view of the hallway and the glass and backyard beyond it. I loved the kitchen overhead cabs and how they angled out. The color could go, yes. The granite countertop was a mistake. Some of the flooring was confusing. I missed any semblance of a formal living room. Maybe going back to carpet in the main living/dining room would formalize it more. Then maybe you could use that back unused space as a media room or something. Just some ideas. The backyard was gorgeous. Whoever buys it has a very nice house to work with!

Jason

I'm glad that people have responded to this posting. I had previously asked if anyone knew who designed this house in one of the "mod listings" posts...and voila...now I know. I love this house so much. Anyone going to the open house or simply driving by should also notice that there is a great mod about 4 or 5 houses west of this one. It is the white brick house with mitered windows and clerestories, very Neutra Tremaine House. Not very private, though, like this month's mod which was clearly designed to be part of nature but very private from the street.

And I have to make a coment about the kitchen cabinets. I think they are really cool, especially the way they are leaning from bottom to top. But I'm not a fan of the green either. A natural stain would look nice with the brick and the walls in the foyer and study.

Just a reminder, this one will be open again 2 to 4 this Sunday. I was booked last time but I got someone to man my open house on the little 40's mod in Idylwood Sunday, so I will actually get to go. :D

I just visited the open house and now I want this place even more! As soon as you enter you fell like you are in L.A. or Palm Springs. It is quite informal, as Willowisp said. I particularly love the contrast of dark and light spaces. This house was clearly designed to be open but with total privacy in mind, which is greatly acheived. Clever design in the study which can be totally open or closed from the other living areas. The courtyard off of the master bath is really cool, and the master bedroom has great windows and its own terrace access. The living area is large and open, with an interesting fireplace and an illuminated soffit bordering the front. There are glass built ins which are about 3/4" thick--nice touch. The guest bedrooms have a neat layout. On walls facing out they have privacy windows and in the center of the ceiling are large square skylights. Each bedroom has double pocket doors which open into a hall with floor to ceiling windows overlooking the pool. Another nice touch, as noted by Willowisp is the design of the exterior wood siding.

I would of course make a few changes. The exterior color is not quite my preference, but does look nice. Dark brown, grey, or a crisp white would look really great. Inside, I would love to see either concrete or terrazzo floor. In some MCMs saltillo tile looks nice but I don't feel that it suits this house. The kitchen counters could maybe work better with a different color cabinet, but are another choice I would not have made. All in all, this house is surprisingly untouched and well maintained. The owners have done a good job of keeping it mostly original. But I would love to see some iconic modern furniture in this place. A couple of leather Arne Jacobsen Egg Chairs would look so cool in the living room. Hopefully this house will be bought by someone who can truly appreciate this place!

I can't undertand how this house could even possibly be considered a tear down. Frankly I am INSULTED. There are no mechanical problems, no structural problems, etc... I find it amazing that the only thing in this house that does not work are the jets in the master jacuzzi tub. And this place is architecturally significant. The architect who designed the place was involved with several other VERY (as in Nationally--Hello Bruce Goff!!) recognized architects. This house is not being listed as a tear-down. I had an in-depth conversation with the listing agent about the tragedy of people tearing down classic modern architecture, especially in Houston. It isn't cheap. I'll give you that. But this is a really cool 3,200 sf house on a 14,000 sf lot that is well maintained and convenient to nearly everything. None of the improvements that I listed were anything more than personal tastes and aesthetics. If I see a red brick McMansion on this location EVER, who knows what I would have to say to the owner if I ever crossed their path. Save that for some golf community! Some people just do not understand.

I managed to swing by and take a look yesterday - all I can say is WOW !!

Favorite things:

• the whole 'angle' theme, applied to the roof, pool, fireplace, even the battens on the exterior siding(they are triangular)!
  • double pocket doors in the bedrooms
  • high windows for privacy, skylights in the bedrooms
  • skylights in the entry area - with simple light sockets inside for nighttime lighting
  • living area sloped ceiling (but why weren't the cove lights that surely are around the edge turned on?)

About my only beef with the house was it had too many front doors (3, counting the study door). When I arrived I wasn't sure which of the two (main or kitchen) to use. I can understand the logic, though: with the carport, you wouldn't want to trudge through the living area to the kitchen with groceries.

Very cool house !

This seems pretty expensive for what, to me, looks to be a tear-down. It would probably cost more to update all that's wrong with this house than to just bulldoze it and build new. I guess it's all about lot value.

There is already a contract on it with back up offers pending. This is no tear down. It is a spectacular house that is a really good buy for that area.

Archived