Houston: Remember When Documentary

theoriginalkj

Does anybody here have the 'Houston: Remember When' VHS tapes? Do any of you think we can go in and split the cost of the series for $75 and each borrow it? I would really like to see the tapes but $75 is a bit much.

Kevin, I have Volumes I and II. Volume IV didn't look that interesting to me, so I didn't get it. Never saw a Volume III. I would be happy to mail these to you, and you can view, or copy, and send back to me. Just reimburse me for mailing charges. I think my neighbor has a VHS to DVD recorder, if so, I can put them on DVD and mail to you if you would prefer that method.

What are these tapes about? I have a VHS to DVD converter. Tell me more..

I'm planning to buy one of those VHS to DVD converters when the price goes down. My dad bought his first VCR back in 1980. It cost him $600 and it was very basic. The "remote" control was a cord and all that it did was pause the tape. Today I've seen some new VCRs as low as $40-$45.

I have Volume I, and I think I saw the second part on tv. To be honest, I didn't much enjoy the series. Instead of a lot of old photos or information about Houston, most of the shows were reminiscing about their personal memories of different places. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing the Dance Halls segment on Volume 3 (Aragon and End o' Main).

I have Volume I, and I think I saw the second part on tv. To be honest, I didn't much enjoy the series. Instead of a lot of old photos or information about Houston, most of the shows were people reminiscing about their personal memories of different places. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing the Dance Halls segment on Volume 3 (Aragon and End o' Main).

I would be extremely interesed in all 4 of these episodes. I do not own a VHS player anymore, but I would be willing to pay for these on DVD. IM me if anyone has a set on DVD they would like to burn for me. I will pay for your trouble.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anybody here have the 'Houston: Remember When' VHS tapes? Do any of you think we can go in and split the cost of the series for $75 and each borrow it? I would really like to see the tapes but $75 is a bit much.

Kevin

I got them from the Harris County Library. You can order them online and they will send them to your nearest branch.

I use my puter to record video, and transfer from VHS to

DVD, etc.. My video card has a TV tuner, and I have a DVD

burner I use to torch them off to disk. I can easily transfer

any tape or DVD to DVD.. I have a SIMA video stabilizer

that will take out macrovision from copyrighted material.

Of course, I only use it under the clinical supervision of a

dokter... :/ I record and burn a lot of movies... Often two or

three a day just off the cable...

I've got big shoeboxes full of DVD movies..

I've got two VHS machines tied to my puter for tape editing.

Both are hi-fi, and the newer one is VHS-DVD both.. So I can

play DVD movies on the sony, and avoid wear to my burn drive..

One thing that is handy, is most new DVD players also play

MP3's, and some also do JPG's... My sony does both.

So I can play my music disks on it too. My 21'' puter monitor is

my "TV", and I run the desktop at 1600x1200 res. With the

720 res movies, and that display res, it's pretty close to HDTV.

You can stick your nose right up to the screen, and hardly see

any pixels. I go back to a normal TV, and it looks like a big

dot matrix puzzle cuz the pixels stick out so much.. :(

MK

• 2 years later...
Think it was Part 1, would have alerted you guys, but didn't know until a friend called to tell me (after it started).

A few things featured were:

1. Lincoln Treater

2. Phenix Dairy (showed delivery trucks)

3. Pilgrim Temple (constructed for fraternal order)

4. Prince's on 4500 Main

5. Shamrock Hotel

I was very intrigued by the story of the Pilgrim Temple. Built by Alfred Finn. Must have sat in one of the wards. Had an auditorium for meetings, held 600-800 people, had physician & attorney offices, a labor union, the NAACP, they held Debutante Balls there, even Duke Ellington & Cab Calloway played there.

Does anyone know what happened to this bldg. & where it was located, exactly?

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/taro/houpub/00024/hpub-00024.html, looks like it's at the top of his list, here.

I think the Pilgrim Temple was torn down when The Gulf Freeway was built in the late 40s.

I saw the program as well, but apparently, I sped past the chatter they had.

The thing that I found interesting is Clark Gable actually living in Montrose and the Sterling mansion being moved. I didn't know those two little facts.

It comes on today at 1 pm.

1:00pm - 3:00pm, KUHT (8)

Houston: Remember When

Photographs and home movies help recall city landmarks and events of the 1930s, 40s and 50s including sports and entertainment venues in the downtown

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Great video and good music. After seeing that I now declare Dave Ward a vampire, lol. He never seems to age other then the hair is gray. Loved the old Gallery Furniture ad clip. He was so young then. I do wish there was a clip from an old Cal Worthington ad and Thunderbolt. I loved seeing the Shots of Astroworld, The Astrodome, Foley's and Woolworth's.

• The title was changed to Houston: Remember When Documentary

Archived