University of St. Thomas Campus Developments

sttombiz

they closed down w main between Graustrark and Yoakum to pave it into a walking trail (like Mt Vernon). they are building a new research/science building where the athletic field is now (to answer a research q)

looking better and better, though they did have a former enron exec who left with like $50 mil talk to the school about ethics (likely not ethics but still). I think he was also former sec of the army. to me that was not a highlight of UST's speaker forum.

• 5 months later...

The University of St. Thomas dedicated a landmark monument today at the corner of Montrose Boulevard and West Alabama that will herald the university as a gateway to Houston's museum district.

The Edward P. White Memorial Plaza

Edited by musicman

I didn't know Johnson had Catholic leanings, hehe.

and I learned it from the Chron ---as opposed to KUHT, who just ran a segment after Ken Burns about the Houston Maritime Museum (which looked cool, and I would visit) and then did not think to mention its location at the end of the piece. Idiots.

Sorry, just had to get that in there. I love to support my public programming, but damn sometimes they make it hard to write the check.

• 4 months later...

So I have to wonder at the thought process behind the idea to stick the monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey slap bang in front of the sign for the Ersity Omas at the corner of Montrose and West Alabama. Or is that the University of St Thomas? Anyway, surely there was enough room to put it behind the sign? It looks kind of silly.

Edited by sidegate

Overscaled or out of scale.

Also, I don't think the graffiti artists will mess with it, whilst I'm pretty sure UST is wise enough to give it a paint resistant finish coat.

Edit: Where's the clever Philip Johnson symbol play like we see with the split obelisk at UH?

Edited by infinite_jim

• 4 years later...

When I read about this in the alumni magazine I decided to chip in a few bucks. I hope other alumni do their small parts and chip in as well. UST wants to build this and a new Center for Science & Health Professions:

But wants to build and going to build are not the same thing. I doubt both projects will leave the "planning" stage anytime soon.

• Like 1

When I read about this in the alumni magazine I decided to chip in a few bucks. I hope other alumni do their small parts and chip in as well. UST wants to build this and a new Center for Science & Health Professions:

But wants to build and going to build are not the same thing. I doubt both projects will leave the "planning" stage anytime soon.

Thanks for posting this... Looks awesome!

Quit contradictory though.

• 1 year later...

I heard a rumor that the Basilian Fathers at University of St. Thomas are about to tear down their house (Donaghue Hall next door to Hughes House on Yoakum between Branard and West Main), and replace it with a more modern 2 story structure. Does anybody know any details about this project? I heard that Kirksey architects were working on the project.

• 2 months later...

This one is on ze planning comission agenda.

SubdivisionPlatPDF_University of St Thomas Central.pdf

• Like 1

I'm confused. There are two different projects shown in the renderings and video. One is the performing arts center, the other is a center for science and health professions. Which is on the planning commission agenda?

Edited by fernz

• 2 months later...

Guess I'll add this here:

WITH A FRESH $500,000 donation landing in its coffers late this summer and some city approvals in hand, the University of St. Thomas’s  long-plannedCenter for Science and Health Professions quadrangle could break ground next year. The school says it now has about half of the project’s $47 million budget and hopes on raising the rest by June of next year. UST has stated that it would then break ground in short order with an eye toward opening up some of the complex by 2017.

And score one for the geeks over the jocks: The quad will be sited on what is now the school’s athletic fields, which now sprawl over three-quarters of the block bounded by Colquitt St., W. Main St., Mt. Vernon St., and Yoakum Blvd, just behind the library at the south end of Philip Johnson’s original campus.

ust-science-exterior-establishing.jpg

WHR_UST_science_health_center3_0219.jpg

Edited by Triton
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Breaking ground this summer. Click the link and you'll see that some cool elements have been removed from the original rendering.

http://www.stthom.edu/Public/Index.asp?0=0&page_id=5534&Source_URL=%2FAbout%2FSuccess_Stories%2FIndex%2Eaqf%3FNewsScriptAction%3DAdvanced_Search%26AQ_Year%3D2015&Content_ID=104455

With current facilities well beyond capacity, construction of the new building is the highest and most urgent funding priority of Faith in Our Future: The Campaign for the University of St. Thomas. The Center for Science and Health Professions is expected to cost approximately $47.3 million. As of early January, more than $32.2 million has been raised for the building, putting UST within approximately $15 million (or more than 68%) of its goal. Plans are underway to break ground on the new center this summer and open the building to students in early 2017.
  • Like 3

To be perfectly honest, while the canopy element was a neat piece it definitely wasn't going to be something you could defend easily in this design. I don't see the actual use of it other than some designer thought it was cool. Once again its a cool feature and its interesting, but I'm 100% sure either the structural engineer or client when questioning the architect on why it needed to be in the project whoever was the designer didn't have more than one reason to keep it or make it feasible and so it was axed. One of the biggest lessons I got from architecture studio and subsequent reading is that if you don't have at least two reasons why you made a design decision then chances are that it isn't going to survive in the project. Every element in a design should have some sort of purpose and even if it's purely architectural/artsy it still can impact the design in more than one way to justify it being included because at the end of the day you are playing with millions of dollars and when stuff gets cut out of a project (which it does for almost every project even for starchitects!) if all you can say to keep is because "well I thought it looked cool"....it's going into the garbage bin!

To be perfectly honest, while the canopy element was a neat piece it definitely wasn't going to be something you could defend easily in this design. I don't see the actual use of it other than some designer thought it was cool. Once again its a cool feature and its interesting, but I'm 100% sure either the structural engineer or client when questioning the architect on why it needed to be in the project whoever was the designer didn't have more than one reason to keep it or make it feasible and so it was axed. One of the biggest lessons I got from architecture studio and subsequent reading is that if you don't have at least two reasons why you made a design decision then chances are that it isn't going to survive in the project. Every element in a design should have some sort of purpose and even if it's purely architectural/artsy it still can impact the design in more than one way to justify it being included because at the end of the day you are playing with millions of dollars and when stuff gets cut out of a project (which it does for almost every project even for starchitects!) if all you can say to keep is because "well I thought it looked cool"....it's going into the garbage bin!

To provide shade...?

Toxteth, I'm hoping the courtyard(s) are still built into the other side. But yeah.. moo.

I think the "pavilion" will still be built it will just be in another phase of development. This is just the first phase of construction, at a later date some more buildings will be built to the west of this building. Most likely once they are built then the pavilion will be built over the completed structure.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...