HAIF - Houston's original social media

University of St. Thomas Campus Developments

great school or greatest school?

Quite a vague post, don't you think sttombiz? Well, guessing from your screen name, you are somehow connected to UST. As a graduate, I greatly value the solid, Catholic education that I received there. Greatest school? Probably not. A great institute in the city of Houston - definitely.

On an architectural note, I am very pleased with the completion of the mall and the new garage and dorms that have been built since I left. Not to show my age, but I was there when Hamburgers by Gourmet occupied the corner of Yoakum and West Alabama! Yikes! :o

Edited by native_Houstonian

the question was colbert-esque. yes I do attend st thomas (senior). I have been there just before the start of the new construction when the mall used to be an ugly parking lot and mt vernon was a drivable street. now that they have used it as a campus mall and a pedestrian walkway, it looks great. they are also planning to shut down w main and turn it into a pedestrian walkway so that there is less congestion next to the new athletic center.

the medical program there is ranked at on of the best in the country (seeing how theres around a 99% acceptance rating from st thomas into medical school)

the only thing they need to do is make the school more of an exclusive university and not allow every D student from a private high school into its academia.

my opinion...greatest school (1st best in Houston, who the heck cares about those Rice morons)

well...I'm not in 7th grade but I wish I were (man those were some great times!). you need to lighten up though. I'm sorry you didnt go to st thomas. I know you wish you did, but you didnt. dont take it out on me. gosh!

st thomas = awesome

the question was colbert-esque. yes I do attend st thomas (senior). I have been there just before the start of the new construction when the mall used to be an ugly parking lot and mt vernon was a drivable street. now that they have used it as a campus mall and a pedestrian walkway, it looks great. they are also planning to shut down w main and turn it into a pedestrian walkway so that there is less congestion next to the new athletic center.

the medical program there is ranked at on of the best in the country (seeing how theres around a 99% acceptance rating from st thomas into medical school)

the only thing they need to do is make the school more of an exclusive university and not allow every D student from a private high school into its academia.

my opinion...greatest school (1st best in Houston, who the heck cares about those Rice morons)

Wow, I bet it's gonna hurt when you get out into the real world and notice you are saying a lot of yes sirs and yes ma'ams to all your Aggie, Longhorn, and Cougar bosses that got business degrees while you were off getting your prestigious liberal arts degree..... but you'll get used to it B)

I agree though that the campus is gorgeous, Johnson's greatest accomplishment.

Edited by HeightsGuy
ut and a&m offer business degrees? I thought they just offered drinking contests. ohhh snap!

...yea that is going to suck, but I'll just show them up with a masters.

in your face...world!

From the tone of your posts, you seem to be enrolled in one continuous drinking contest. What a waste of a beautiful campus.

my girlfriend finishes up there this fall..

i find it too be way too small for my taste.. and having spent too much time picking her up at the dorm there.. it seems like a very juvenile atmosphere compared to my time at A&M.

another complaint.. their one and only campus dining option is rather pathetic for what the students that live there are forced to pay for it.

but yah.. location and architecture is rather appealing.

Although different style of architecure i wouldnt say it isn't any better or worse than Rice. Rice's campus is beautiful.

It certainly doesn't have the reputation as Rice... nor the value.

ut and a&m offer business degrees? I thought they just offered drinking contests. ohhh snap!

...yea that is going to suck, but I'll just show them up with a masters.

in your face...world!

I foresee a job in your near future that involves wearing your best sock tie and delivering inter-office mail in a fancy high-rise building downtown, and maybe picking up lunch from time-to-time where you get to keep the change........

Edited by HeightsGuy

If this post is any indication, UST is using the proximity of its Montrose campus to help students with their Gaying It Up skills. ;)

If this post is any indication, UST is using the proximity of its Montrose campus to help students with their Gaying It Up skills. ;)

"ohh snap" is so yesterday in the gay world-he must be straight. Guys like that always feed off our throw-aways. :lol:

B)

I agree though that the campus is gorgeous, Johnson's greatest accomplishment.

I don't think UST's campus is nearly as attractive as UH's.

I'd rank them:

1) Rice

2) UH

3) Cy-Fair CC

4) UST

5) TSU

6) HBU

UH and Rice both have beautiful, tree-lined campuses. Rice gets the nod for its architecture. But UH's green spaces are every bit as beautiful, if not more, than Rice's.

wow...you guys are being really mean, but likely I have never met you so it does not really matter.

I would say UH needs something more than greenery. they actually need plants that stay alive and bloom. I can't say anything for the rest of the campus, but near the admissions office (adjacent to Roy G Cullen, I believe) it does not look too good.

what is the new center they have which uses a more modern architecture? is it the new biological research lab? that looks amazing. allison did a lot for him in the way of new structures thats for sure (hence the new law center)

I would say Rice is first in looks and then UST. all others look nearly the same (never been to cy-fair, but on advertisements it does look mighty fancy)

was oh snap ever a gay word?

...and I hope to pursue an MD so inter-office politics is out of the way. though I would like to fetch lunch for some corporate VP who thinks he was in line of the promotion and not the narrow-minded Rice alum. we could converse over how Rice offers a beautiful campus but nothing in the form of a bus degree or student oriented college life (the pub needs to move to St Thomas). so why did the guy the promotion? two words: sexual favors. god, you Rice people are disgusting.

when was the last time students actually skinny dipped in the Dean's pool? regretfully, he moved off campus, but you still have yours truly to thank for the streaking of the shell auditorium. -your welcome by the way

once again, st thomas = awesome

• 3 weeks later...

My wife graduated from there and its a nice small close knit University, you literally know everyone on campus. The architecture is OK, the finished mall and the Chapel look good but those damn priests must have bern hitting the wine when they apporved that ugly garage right next to the Chapel, which blocks the western sun that used to shone through the giant transparent cross on the western wall of the Chapel. Idiots! Also they should plant more oak trees and keep them trimmed. Nothing unifies an urban campus like trees do. But the new dorms are top notch and I applaud them closing the through streets. Its definitely an asset for Houston and hope they can keep growing. You'd be surprised how many out of state students go to UST. That's a plus for Houston.

• 2 months later...
great school or greatest school?

I have to say that I got a great education at UST and really enjoyed the "small school" atmosphere.

Hard to beat when famous artists of the 1960's like Claes Oldenburg, Willem de Kooning, etc. showed up on campus....or you were sitting in Welder Hall next to Michelangelo Antonioni talking about Italian films.....

Class of 1968

one of the better projects by philip johnson...

"Spencer Street" is often right w/r/t architecture at large

edit: as far as it being a good school is concerned, i'm thinkin it's a bunch of kids playin on their parents dime

Edited by infinite_jim

yes st thomas has grown on me. I love being a student and not a number to the administration.

my points still stand though. we need to stop enrolling everybody who applies. merit would be a start.

that post office building on richmond and graustark needs to be captured by the st thomas endowment and revitalized into a new gym, architectural studies, math studies, and a whole lot more. but we should not tear it down (even though renovations would likely cost more) the building is one of a kind. 1925 I believe was the year it was built.

campus involvement needs to be priority no 1 at ust. the speakers and events we have had in this year alone (Aug-present) have been incredible. there has been a stellar academia enrichment this year and it is showing on campus.

what else needs to be done?

ust alums need to start getting involved in the school they graduated from (job opportunities, internships, mentors, and of course the ubiquitous monetary donations)

• 2 months later...
Guest andriasfault
One of my friends from last year is at St. Thomas.

UST does have a business program. I got my MBA there doing night school. My experience was good but not perfect.

All schools have pros and cons but at the end of the day what really matters is if you had good instructors, if you applied yourself, and whether or not a degree from said insititute will help you get a good paying job.

• 1 month later...
well...I'm not in 7th grade but I wish I were (man those were some great times!). you need to lighten up though. I'm sorry you didnt go to st thomas. I know you wish you did, but you didnt. dont take it out on me. gosh!

st thomas = awesome

yeah, whatever.

Edited by Ralo
  • 1 month later...

It's not much of a research university, it's off my radar. I think an honest assessment should recognize UH for being a good school that provides plenty of opportunities for people of all backgrounds at reasonable cost. Rice is excellent as well, if somewhat insular.

• 2 weeks later...

they closed down w main between Graustrark and Yoakum to pave it into a walking trail (like Mt Vernon). they are building a new research/science building where the athletic field is now (to answer a research q)

looking better and better, though they did have a former enron exec who left with like $50 mil talk to the school about ethics (likely not ethics but still). I think he was also former sec of the army. to me that was not a highlight of UST's speaker forum.

• 5 years later...

When I read about this in the alumni magazine I decided to chip in a few bucks. I hope other alumni do their small parts and chip in as well. UST wants to build this and a new Center for Science & Health Professions:

But wants to build and going to build are not the same thing. I doubt both projects will leave the "planning" stage anytime soon.

• Like 1

When I read about this in the alumni magazine I decided to chip in a few bucks. I hope other alumni do their small parts and chip in as well. UST wants to build this and a new Center for Science & Health Professions:

But wants to build and going to build are not the same thing. I doubt both projects will leave the "planning" stage anytime soon.

Thanks for posting this... Looks awesome!

Quit contradictory though.

• 2 years later...

This one is on ze planning comission agenda.

SubdivisionPlatPDF_University of St Thomas Central.pdf

• Like 1

I'm confused. There are two different projects shown in the renderings and video. One is the performing arts center, the other is a center for science and health professions. Which is on the planning commission agenda?

Edited by fernz
  • 2 months later...

Guess I'll add this here:

WITH A FRESH $500,000 donation landing in its coffers late this summer and some city approvals in hand, the University of St. Thomas’s  long-plannedCenter for Science and Health Professions quadrangle could break ground next year. The school says it now has about half of the project’s $47 million budget and hopes on raising the rest by June of next year. UST has stated that it would then break ground in short order with an eye toward opening up some of the complex by 2017.

And score one for the geeks over the jocks: The quad will be sited on what is now the school’s athletic fields, which now sprawl over three-quarters of the block bounded by Colquitt St., W. Main St., Mt. Vernon St., and Yoakum Blvd, just behind the library at the south end of Philip Johnson’s original campus.

ust-science-exterior-establishing.jpg

WHR_UST_science_health_center3_0219.jpg

Edited by Triton
  • Like 7
  • 2 months later...

Breaking ground this summer. Click the link and you'll see that some cool elements have been removed from the original rendering.

http://www.stthom.edu/Public/Index.asp?0=0&page_id=5534&Source_URL=%2FAbout%2FSuccess_Stories%2FIndex%2Eaqf%3FNewsScriptAction%3DAdvanced_Search%26AQ_Year%3D2015&Content_ID=104455

With current facilities well beyond capacity, construction of the new building is the highest and most urgent funding priority of Faith in Our Future: The Campaign for the University of St. Thomas. The Center for Science and Health Professions is expected to cost approximately $47.3 million. As of early January, more than $32.2 million has been raised for the building, putting UST within approximately $15 million (or more than 68%) of its goal. Plans are underway to break ground on the new center this summer and open the building to students in early 2017.
  • Like 3

To be perfectly honest, while the canopy element was a neat piece it definitely wasn't going to be something you could defend easily in this design. I don't see the actual use of it other than some designer thought it was cool. Once again its a cool feature and its interesting, but I'm 100% sure either the structural engineer or client when questioning the architect on why it needed to be in the project whoever was the designer didn't have more than one reason to keep it or make it feasible and so it was axed. One of the biggest lessons I got from architecture studio and subsequent reading is that if you don't have at least two reasons why you made a design decision then chances are that it isn't going to survive in the project. Every element in a design should have some sort of purpose and even if it's purely architectural/artsy it still can impact the design in more than one way to justify it being included because at the end of the day you are playing with millions of dollars and when stuff gets cut out of a project (which it does for almost every project even for starchitects!) if all you can say to keep is because "well I thought it looked cool"....it's going into the garbage bin!

To be perfectly honest, while the canopy element was a neat piece it definitely wasn't going to be something you could defend easily in this design. I don't see the actual use of it other than some designer thought it was cool. Once again its a cool feature and its interesting, but I'm 100% sure either the structural engineer or client when questioning the architect on why it needed to be in the project whoever was the designer didn't have more than one reason to keep it or make it feasible and so it was axed. One of the biggest lessons I got from architecture studio and subsequent reading is that if you don't have at least two reasons why you made a design decision then chances are that it isn't going to survive in the project. Every element in a design should have some sort of purpose and even if it's purely architectural/artsy it still can impact the design in more than one way to justify it being included because at the end of the day you are playing with millions of dollars and when stuff gets cut out of a project (which it does for almost every project even for starchitects!) if all you can say to keep is because "well I thought it looked cool"....it's going into the garbage bin!

To provide shade...?

Toxteth, I'm hoping the courtyard(s) are still built into the other side. But yeah.. moo.

I think the "pavilion" will still be built it will just be in another phase of development. This is just the first phase of construction, at a later date some more buildings will be built to the west of this building. Most likely once they are built then the pavilion will be built over the completed structure.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Building-1063-x-4741.jpg

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/west_university/news/ust-to-build-new-health-and-sciences-building/article_23d7b569-1538-570d-aacf-84dc7cc2f687.html

The University of Saint Thomas (UST) has unveiled plans for a new four-story building to house the Center for Science and Health Professions. Due to the continued growth of the university's science programs and the re-opening of the nursing school, the university has outgrown existing facilities.

The building is the result of an intensive capital campaign, raising more than $47.3 million to fund the project.

The University now plans to continue to raise an additional $8.5 million to outfit the new Center’s Chemistry labs, as well as secure funding for a new Performing Arts Center.

The University is expected to break ground on the Center for Science and Health Professions in November and is expected to begin classes in May of 2017.

• Like 6
  • 2 months later...

LR-20141015-UST-CSHP-Atrium-1024x854.jpg

http://montrosedistrict.org/university-of-st-thomas-to-break-ground-on-state-of-the-art-science-center/

The most visible product of the capital campaign will be the $50 million Center for Science and Health Professions, a four-story, 100,000-square-foot facility that will house UST’s biology and chemistry departments and the Carol and Odis Peavy School of Nursing, along with classrooms and state-of-the-art science labs. Groundbreaking for the CSHP will be held on November 12, with a grand opening scheduled for the spring of 2017.
  • 2 months later...
  • Highrise Tower changed the title to University of St. Thomas Campus Developments