Top Houston Mods

Jersey01

I figured I'd start a list, just for a little fun. What mod buildings or homes make your list of favorites in Houston and surrounding areas?

I'll start with a few (no particular order)...

59 Tiel Way, 1950, Karl Kamrath

403 Westminster, 1960, Neuhaus and Taylor

3611 N. Braeswood, 1955, unsure of architect

3363 San Felipe, 1950, Philip C. Johnson

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my favorite houses, though there are lots more faves as well. I haven't been inside of all of these, so it's mostly from an outside view. Actually, I'm often disappointed in the interior design of the houses I get to go in, so some stones are better left unturned. I mean, come on people, if you own a modern house, at least buy one icon of modern furniture!

* means I've been in for a tour. Well, I've peeked into The Menil House, but I didn't count that...

1. 3363 San Felipe - The Menil House

• 2 weeks later...
And my #1 question is - When is The Menil Foundation going to start offering public tours of Johnson's masterpiece?

Jason

A friend of mine was able to get a private tour (he said it was great), but it was his understanding they had no plans to open it to the public. :(

It is interesting how so many people refer to the de Menil house with terms such as "masterpiece", myself included. Yet, by the time it was finished, Johnson supposedly wasn't too thrilled with the results. Elements such as the dining room being in the foyer, rather than like the original plans which would have placed the dining where the playroom was located, bothered him. Another element that dissappointed Johnson was the window in the kitchen. The otherwise windowless street facade seemed broken, but due to de Menil's insistence the windows were placed. I've read somewhere, probably in one of my books on Johnson, that this project made Johnson dislike doing most residential architecture. I personally love the house but if I lived there I would have to relocate the dining area back to the originally designated area. I am also not a fan of the rather large greenhouse roof over the courtyard garden. I am, however, thrilled with the preservation of this house, being one of Houston's greatest examples of modernist architecture.

It seems like he was wrestling with the problem of dealing with tough clients (meaning money!) and artistic satisfaction. That is a major issue in any artist's life. At the same time he was working on his own house in Connecticut, with which he had complete freedom, so it is logical that he would consider other houses as "lesser". There is also the issue of furniture in the house not being right for the house. The only modern piece I see is one Barcelona chair in the background of a picture. It was probably a nightmare for him to have a house he designed filled with antiques. In that way, it doesn't really photograph well.

But that is the "house that got it started" in Houston. Many of Houston's young architects must have been heavily influenced and inspired by Johnson and Mies during those years. I'm looking forward to the Harwood Taylor lecture and book to find out more about that time period! I can also see elements of Jenkins' houses in that house so I know he was influenced.

Also, without this house, who knows if we would have Pennzoil Place or The Williams Tower...

I've heard about the private tours. I patiently await mine... But I think they would be doing a great service to the "world of mod" if they were more public about doing tours. Even if it was one day a month by appointment or something like that.

Jason

It is interesting how so many people refer to the de Menil house with terms such as "masterpiece", myself included. Yet, by the time it was finished, Johnson supposedly wasn't too thrilled with the results. Elements such as the dining room being in the foyer, rather than like the original plans which would have placed the dining where the playroom was located, bothered him. Another element that dissappointed Johnson was the window in the kitchen. The otherwise windowless street facade seemed broken, but due to de Menil's insistence the windows were placed. I've read somewhere, probably in one of my books on Johnson, that this project made Johnson dislike doing most residential architecture. I personally love the house but if I lived there I would have to relocate the dining area back to the originally designated area. I am also not a fan of the rather large greenhouse roof over the courtyard garden. I am, however, thrilled with the preservation of this house, being one of Houston's greatest examples of modernist architecture.

Definitely! McKie & Kamrath, Bolton and Barnstone, John Chase, Willard & Hood, and Bailey Swenson all did great houses over there. I would LOVE to see a house tour put together over there someday.

At Houston Mod we are getting ready to do some major outreach and we will be inviting a lot of mod home owners to join. I hope we will see a good response from that side of town.

Jason

There are some pretty cool ones on North and South MacGregor south of University of Houston.

I just got back from driving over on Macgregor. There are som cool places, mod and traditional. I noticed a couple that had the Mackie/Kamrath look, and Willowisp has confirmed my assumptions. I was also interested to see that there were several houses about a block off of N. Macgregor that resemble one of my favorite houses in Houston, a white MCM on the 3000-4000 block of N. Braeswood and the corner of Glen Arbor (near the Mod of the month.) They must be by the same architect, not sure who that is though. I would love to see some activity over on Macgregor to bring it up to it's potential.

It seems like he was wrestling with the problem of dealing with tough clients (meaning money!) and artistic satisfaction. That is a major issue in any artist's life. At the same time he was working on his own house in Connecticut, with which he had complete freedom, so it is logical that he would consider other houses as "lesser". There is also the issue of furniture in the house not being right for the house. The only modern piece I see is one Barcelona chair in the background of a picture. It was probably a nightmare for him to have a house he designed filled with antiques. In that way, it doesn't really photograph well.

But that is the "house that got it started" in Houston. Many of Houston's young architects must have been heavily influenced and inspired by Johnson and Mies during those years. I'm looking forward to the Harwood Taylor lecture and book to find out more about that time period! I can also see elements of Jenkins' houses in that house so I know he was influenced.

Also, without this house, who knows if we would have Pennzoil Place or The Williams Tower...

I've heard about the private tours. I patiently await mine... But I think they would be doing a great service to the "world of mod" if they were more public about doing tours. Even if it was one day a month by appointment or something like that.

Jason

I thought the ?canopy? over the ?atrium? (I could be wrong) was one specific change he objected to.

Marty

rps: Isn't that the '54 Parade of Homes place? If so is it still for sale?

I also have a question that may be answered by those of you who bear the guide (I still haven't gotten a copy, ridiculously enough!) Does anyone have any info on 2252 Troon in River Oaks? I've always loved this house, it's one of my favorites in this city. It looks like it may be Bolton & Barnstone, very pavillion-like.

Its no landmark or anything, but I always liked this one.

IMG_0002.jpg

I'd hate to see the Reliant bill on this beauty. :wacko: All those windows.

12. 8 Tiel Way* - MacKie & Kamrath

DSC05798.jpg

The land is worth over 11 TIMES what the improvement is ! That is highway robbery! :ph34r::(

Look up 3000 N MacGregor Houston on maps.google.com They are in Riverside Terrace near 288 and OST.

The mods are great over there, though I've never been inside one in that immediate area. Good luck on your search!

Jason

Can you post a map? I'm not familiar with the location and I'm currently looking for a great mod to buy.

Thanks.

• 8 months later...

Thought I'd revisit this thread and ask for more favorites, as I will be updating the Houston Mod Website over the summer to include as many moderns as I can on the "mods still with us" page. It will be my summer project, and I can use some help if anyone would like to contribute. I can use help on houses, but I especially need help in institutional and office buildings.

Basically I need the name of the property (with houses it's the first owners if possible), architect, year built, address, description/history (see the houstonmod.org website for examples), and a picture. My goal is 50 buildings. We have 23 so far. Three of those are on my street, so I'm obviously hitting the easy ones for me first.

Thanks,

Jason

Thought I'd revisit this thread and ask for more favorites, as I will be updating the Houston Mod Website over the summer to include as many moderns as I can on the "mods still with us" page. It will be my summer project, and I can use some help if anyone would like to contribute. I can use help on houses, but I especially need help in institutional and office buildings.

Basically I need the name of the property (with houses it's the first owners if possible), architect, year built, address, description/history (see the houstonmod.org website for examples), and a picture. My goal is 50 buildings. We have 23 so far. Three of those are on my street, so I'm obviously hitting the easy ones for me first.

Thanks,

Jason

Do you have a time frame in mind? (1950-1970 for example) or does it just have to be modern?

I vote for Penzoil.

Penzoil Place is my favorite building in Houston. We should definitely get some of the super-famous buildings up on the Houston Mod site, but they are well covered like on HAIF already so it's hard to know how much we really need to cover.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/Buildi...nzoil_Place.php

Jason

Do you have a time frame in mind? (1950-1970 for example) or does it just have to be modern?

I vote for Penzoil.

I'm glad you revived this thread Willowisp. Some good selections here.

I'll put mine in:

108 Timberwilde - Greer House - Richard Colley, Architect 1967

203 Timberwilde - Lasher House - Thomas M. Price, Architect. I've heard it's kind of bland inside, but the exterior is so gorgeous that I wouldn't care.

11406 Memorial Dr. - Original Client Unknown - Wylie V. Vale, Architect. The last of Vale's super-modern flat roofed ranchos.

672 Flintdale- Hoff House - Bill Hoff of Jenkins, Hoff, Oberg & Saxe, Architect 1965.

2 Longbow Lane - House for Dr. and Mrs. Mavis P. Kelsey - Ralph Anderson Jr. for Wilson, Morris, Crain & Anderson, Architect 1958.

6058 Crabb Orachard Road - Walter P. Moore Sr. House - Presumably Wilson, Morris, Crain & Anderson, but no one knows for sure.

414 Thamer Lane - Stewart N. Campbell House - MacKie & Kamrath Architects 1968.

8 Tiel Way - Kamrath Family home - MacKie & Kamrath Architects

And of course Jason's house.

It's already on Houston Mod, but I'd have to vote for the Durst house by Bruce Goff.

I'd been meaning to tell Jason about this but the Goff house is NOT on Houston Mod, for some strange reason.

Pretty much any house that's not on there is due to lack of time on my part. I've been spending my time on buildings I know more about already as well as have quick access to or a picture from someone else of. No need to wonder why 3 houses on my street are already up there!

Soon I will be out of work/school and ready to persue the hobbies as well as catch up on home projects.

Thanks for mentioning it. It will definitely be included in "the 50".

Jason

I'd been meaning to tell Jason about this but the Goff house is NOT on Houston Mod, for some strange reason.

That's TWICE now you've caught me in an error! I guess I was confused because we discussed it extensively, and you supplied a picture, in the earlier "A Mod Sunday IV" thread.

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd revisit this topic one more time.

672 Flintdale- Hoff House - Bill Hoff of Jenkins, Hoff, Oberg & Saxe, Architect 1965.

is one of my "new" favorite houses.

I wrote up a lot of houses on houstonmod.org over the summer, but still have many more to go, especially the "mods no more" which are particularly depressing to do, but they have to get done.

You should see several more up over the next couple of weeks.

Jason

• 5 weeks later...

By the way, 6058 Crab Orchard Rd was designed by Robert F. White & Associates of Bellaire Texas. I suspect that they may have also designed the third mod on Briar Hollow with the two story floor-to-ceiling glass wall in the back.

I'll put mine in:

108 Timberwilde - Greer House - Richard Colley, Architect 1967

203 Timberwilde - Lasher House - Thomas M. Price, Architect. I've heard it's kind of bland inside, but the exterior is so gorgeous that I wouldn't care.

11406 Memorial Dr. - Original Client Unknown - Wylie V. Vale, Architect. The last of Vale's super-modern flat roofed ranchos.

2 Longbow Lane - House for Dr. and Mrs. Mavis P. Kelsey - Ralph Anderson Jr. for Wilson, Morris, Crain & Anderson, Architect 1958.

6058 Crabb Orachard Road - Walter P. Moore Sr. House - Presumably Wilson, Morris, Crain & Anderson, but no one knows for sure.

414 Thamer Lane - Stewart N. Campbell House - MacKie & Kamrath Architects 1968.

8 Tiel Way - Kamrath Family home - MacKie & Kamrath Architects

And of course Jason's house.

Archived