HOUSTON'S GROWING CHINATOWNS

citykid09

TEXAS

Asian newcomers add to Houston's attractions

An influx of immigrants has given Houston both an Old Chinatown and a New Chinatown, as well as a handful of other distinctly Asian neighborhoods.

BY CARY DARLING

Knight Ridder News Service

HOUSTON - As you drive west down traffic-choked Bellaire Boulevard, straight through the suburb of the same name and into the mini-mall sprawl of western Houston, it's obvious that this is the Lone Star State's biggest city. A corporate outpost of Halliburton, the controversial conglomerate, sits on the right, and Sally Jo's Old Houston Bar-B-Q joint is up on the left.

http://www.miami.com/mld//living/travel/14...miherald_travel

Hey, post the story. I'm not registering to read it.

I don't know if its ok to post it.

Go to Yahoo type: "Houston Chinatown" Click on the news tab & then click search. It should be at the very top.

Or here is the link again, mabe it will work: http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/livin...miherald_travel

Then go to bugmenot.com like the Editor said.

TEXAS

Asian newcomers add to Houston's attractions

An influx of immigrants has given Houston both an Old Chinatown and a New Chinatown, as well as a handful of other distinctly Asian neighborhoods.

BY CARY DARLING

Knight Ridder News Service

HOUSTON - As you drive west down traffic-choked Bellaire Boulevard, straight through the suburb of the same name and into the mini-mall sprawl of western Houston, it's obvious that this is the Lone Star State's biggest city. A corporate outpost of Halliburton, the controversial conglomerate, sits on the right, and Sally Jo's Old Houston Bar-B-Q joint is up on the left.

http://www.miami.com/mld//living/travel/14...miherald_travel

funny you posted this ... i happened to visit a friend (for the first time) out on bellaire and i was amazed at the asian influence. if you haven't been out that way, it is definitely worth a drive just to see all the asian shops ... chinatown is actually a misnomer as i would wager vietnamese are the dominant asian culture there.

nevertheless, it is a cultural must see and experience.

I totally agree HM, The Chinese mall is something to behold as well as the nearby buddist temple.

I was thrilled to read that the Miami Newspaper was fairly accurate in it's descriptions of the various parts of towns and the resturants.

The only thing I was really surprised about was that it named the various eating establishments and actually gave Jenni's noodle House some serious kudos. I've eaten there before and I honestly wasn't impressed that much.

funny you posted this ... i happened to visit a friend (for the first time) out on bellaire and i was amazed at the asian influence. if you haven't been out that way, it is definitely worth a drive just to see all the asian shops ... chinatown is actually a misnomer as i would wager vietnamese are the dominant asian culture there.

nevertheless, it is a cultural must see and experience.

I think you would lose the wager. The new chinatown shops and restaurant and the upcoming ones are opened by real chinese. well, real as in china chinese from northern china and taiwanese chinese from taiwan( and some chinese from south china/canton region, mostly employed as chefs, but cooking northern chinese cuisine), instead of vietnamese or even vietnamese chinese.

However, if you are talking about much further down where the hong kong city mall is located, then you might be right, but according to some, that area is consider little saigon, and not part of the new chinatown. Obviously that is a little confusing since the mall says 'hong kong' right there. But if you go in, it's vietnamese signs all over, kind of misleading and confusing.

However, if you are talking about much further down where the hong kong city mall is located, then you might be right, but according to some, that area is consider little saigon, and not part of the new chinatown. Obviously that is a little confusing since the mall says 'hong kong' right there. But if you go in, it's vietnamese signs all over, kind of misleading and confusing.

You're right about the Hong Kong Mall. Every shop minus one or two in there are Vietnamese owned & operated. I'd say everything west of the Beltway would be majority Vietnamese, and everything east of the Beltway would be majority Chinese - with some mixing inbetween. Either way, its a neat area full of culture.

The only thing I wish is that someone would figure something out for the Old Chinatown. Is it still "Chinatown", "Old Chinatown", or what?

You should expect an out of town newspaper to report good on Jenni's. That's kinda like them reporting on the original Ninfa's on Navigation.

You're right about the Hong Kong Mall. Every shop minus one or two in there are Vietnamese owned & operated. I'd say everything west of the Beltway would be majority Vietnamese, and everything east of the Beltway would be majority Chinese - with some mixing inbetween. Either way, its a neat area full of culture.

The only thing I wish is that someone would figure something out for the Old Chinatown. Is it still "Chinatown", "Old Chinatown", or what?

You should expect an out of town newspaper to report good on Jenni's. That's kinda like them reporting on the original Ninfa's on Navigation.

how about 'chinatown classic' ..?

• 1 month later...

Xiang's Cafe near the 'Chinese side" or east of Beltway 8.

My wife and I once walked in there, she a native Filipina and I an American of Filipino descent, and the owner said, "This da real Chinese food! Are you sure you wanna eat here?"

Sure did!

And stuff that seemed kinda Korean (but not) and quite spicy. Some odd cold beef broth with odd noodles for starters...

I don't understand why the Old Chinatown should even still be considered Chinatown. It's not been maintained.

I don't understand why the Old Chinatown should even still be considered Chinatown. It's not been maintained.

Perhaps it's the original. That kind of sentiment. When I worked downtown for 7 years, though, going to the Kim Hung Mall to eat or relax during my lunch hour(s), it was a haven from the Tunnels and Park Shops.

I love it but yeah, if they can refurbish it, that would be great. I think they could refurbish the mid-town Little Saigon first, though, because of that "L.A. sidewalk" look it has.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know why almost all of the businesses in Chinatown/Asiatown only take cash? I'm assuming for tax evasion purposes since any cultural tendencies would seem to be easily overcome due to the potential for increasing sales.

I've only bought tea at the Teahouse in the Hong Kong Mall before, and they took my card, but last weekend, I went to several shops and restaurants along Bellaire and none accepted credit cards. I finally found one restaurant that did and it was by far the most expensive.

Anyone know why almost all of the businesses in Chinatown/Asiatown only take cash? I'm assuming for tax evasion purposes since any cultural tendencies would seem to be easily overcome due to the potential for increasing sales.

I've only bought tea at the Teahouse in the Hong Kong Mall before, and they took my card, but last weekend, I went to several shops and restaurants along Bellaire and none accepted credit cards. I finally found one restaurant that did and it was by far the most expensive.

Hmmm, I'll have to ask my Asian co-worker whose husband owns a business in the area. I haven't been out that way in a while and might have to go and check it out soon--but not before I make a stop @ the bank! :lol:

• 3 months later...

That is the reason why. They will under-report their taxes, so cash only at most places. Especially, the bread/sandwich shops. To me, the old Chinatown will always be downtown. Everything built after the late 80s is considered new Chinatown. Also, try San Dong(same shopping center as Jasmine at Bellaire/Beltway 8)restaurant, it has reasonable prices, but cash only. Very small place,but it specializes in noodles/wonton food.

Aren't most of the businesses on Belliare Vietnamese-oriented?

Around the Hong Kong mall area. Basically, if you go past BLTWY 8 heading west, pretty much alot of Vietnamese businesses. Now, going east on Bellaire, you have mostly Chinese, Taiwanese and some Vietnamese/Chinese.

The Hong Kong Kitchen(next to Taipei Wedding) restaurant is China based. San Dong is Chinese to the core. Heck, i am not sure the owner understands any English! You just need to point to the picture of the dish in the menu to order!...lol

Kim Hung in chinatown smells terrible, their 'fresh' fish tastes horrible, and the little rice place in the atrium is mediocre. Hung kee, on the other hand is not bad, dont judge it by its looks.

On bellaire, try Thien Thanh across Hong Kong supermarket. It specializes in 'banh cuon' or rice pasta filled with bbq beef or 'elephant ear'.

I'd go with the bbq beef. the joint stinks like fish sauce, but man the banh cuon is great.

cash only!

My all time favorite bellaire eatery is Tan Tan fast food on bellaire and ranchester. It's not as good as it used to be, but i still love it. Get the egg cake appetizer, the only place in town that makes it just right. Its called 'Bot Chien'.

They take CC's, minimum purchase though is 15 i believe...great, now im hungry

Some good restaurants that i like:

For Pho(Vietnamese noodles): Pho Binh(Beechnut and Wilcrest in old Saigon shopping center).

Pho Danh(inside Hong Kong 4 mall at Boone & Bellaire)

Honorable mention: Pho Nguyen on Beechnut & Wilcrest. The best dish is Bun Bo Hue

For Fried Wonton stuff: Old Place Cafe(HW6 and Settlers Way(?) in same shopping center of Welcom)

San Dong( Beltway8 and Bellaire)

For Chinese/Vietnamese in general: Jade Village(S. Gessner and Harwin). Pretty good food overall.

Fung's Kitchen(59s and Fondren). Best Peking Duck in town hands down!! Honorable mention: Van Loc downtown is pretty decent with Com Chien Bo Luc Lac. Haven't been to Mai's place in a long time, so don't know.

For Banh Cuon stuff: It used to be Thien Thanh(across for HK Mall on Bellaire/Boone, but Quang Ba Tho( Bellaire/S.Kirkwood) is better now. Better attitude also!

As far as tapioca, well i think they're all the same now. Pretty bad. I prefer Smoothie King..lol

Oh.. i used to like Tan Tan(Ranchester and Bellaire),but i got kind of sick there a few months ago. It was a MSG attack! Staying away from them for now, but their Wonton noodles and Hot pot were decent.

Sinh Sinh(past Corpate going west on Bellaire)used to have the baked tofu with shrimp inside and green onions sprinkled outside, but i don't think they have it anymore. I used to like that.

For Dim Sum: Kim Son(Fountains Stafford) is good. I used to frequent Golden Palace(it has been several yrs), but not sure how good it is now.

• 1 year later...
The Chinatown in the Alief area is more Vietnamese than Chinese. I rather call it Vietnamtown or Asiatown.

The Gulf Coast as a whole is more dominated by Vietnamese influence than anything else, but Bellaire probably has the highest concentration of grocery stores in the whole city, and each of them targets a particular culture/subculture. There are also BBQ joints, Cajun places, and African restaurants in the mix, and Indo/Paki stores and restaurants are a bookend to th corridor at the Southwest Freeway.

Archived