Memorial Real Estate

Guest danax

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe you could only do a writ of posession only after the judge ruled in your favor. Is this correct?

When you go to court you should get a verdict in your favor. The Judge will give them 7 days I believe to get out. If they do not get out in that time period, then you file the writ of possession. Once you pay for that, then it may take them a couple of weeks to show up with a notice that lets the person know they will be coming to move them out in either 24 or 48 hours, (it seems to vary by JP). At that point they come with a truck and physically move them out. Any small personal items are left on the front porch (they take the furniture) and you change the locks.

The $4,000 decorator allowance won't go very far, but it's better than nothing. The house was listed one year ago yesterday and was off the market for about 1 week in February when they changed Realtors. It was originally listed at $465,000. A $75,000 reduction and one year on the market means that reality has probably set in with the sellers.

Is the home priced right? In real terms, what should be offered?

They probably feel they are at BOTTOM DOLLAR on the house. I still think it is a little out of range, considering what else is around the area. Noise isn't that bad back in there, lots of trees. Still a desirable area, even though it is the END of Memorial. I am thinking $350k at the most for the house in that area.

Definetely needs updating, and agreed, the 4K designer allowance will not go very far. My concern would be resale from this point on. Folks looking for 4-5 bedrooms homes at that square footage also seem to request 3-car garages. Remember that homes in 1981 were not built with energy saving features required by code today. Be prepared for higher energy bills, especially with an east/west orientation.

..........or we could call a couple hard "pipe hittin'" brothers to grab a blow torch and a pair of pliers and they can go get "medieval" on their @$$3$ ! >:) >:) >:)

I know right ... there could be some way to ... um ... convince them that it would be just better to move.

Where is Tony (Soprano) when you really need him?!?!

Good luck.

Guest danax
GOOD NEWS

Judge granted the eviction.

Well, congratulations and I hope it's easy from here on out. In NYC you'd be looking at, what, another couple of.....years? :huh:

One positive thing about sueing them and getting a judgment against them, if you can afford to, is that their credit reports would get dinged and you might save someone else the same grief in the future and, you might even end up getting paid if they ever try to buy a house and we're required to pay the judgment in order to do so.

Good luck.

Make sure and file the writ of possession next week, even if they are telling you they are moving. It isn't a lot of money, $60 - $70 I think. These people sound like "old pros" at working the system. Their next move may be to try to convince you they are getting out to stall the filing of the writ.

Did they show up for the court hearing?

Everytime I hear about situations like this, I am reminded of the movie "Pacific Heights", with michael keaton and Matt Modine.

Now, you get to get a Sherriff or Constable to go kick the scumbags out, and go change the locks. A small price to pay to be rid of those losers.

I'm thinking of a particular type of cuttie-cutter housing when I think of the bad ones. I'm thinking of really small homes like the ones out on 529 or in the north Katy area that sell for 80 or 90k, very close together, all brick exterior, with no stylistic detail and no architectural value. I'm just guessing they're cheaply built, because they build them so quickly. If there were quality workmanship involved it should take much longer to build. I'm saying that some types of cookie-cutter development can be nice and desirable.

I tend to prefer custom homes though, such as the ones in the Memorial Area. I honestly have not seen any cookie cutter homes anywhere in the Memorial area, unless we're talking about little enclaves of patio homes and town homes here and there.

We just moved into a 4 bedroom house in Sherwood Oaks, they told us that no two houses in the neighborhood are alike. THERE'S 5 OF MY HOUSE HERE!! And i've seen several in both wilchesters, nottingham forest and westchester. We also have several friends who have the exact same house, just a different color.

Memorial is so expensive because the Villages are their own incorporated entities. They go to Spring Branch Independent School District which has a great reputation. Along with the reputation are high taxes to support the good schools. It is expensive to live there which weeds out the masses. Builds on itself....

Some bits of Hunters Creek Village and Piney Point Village south of the bayou are in Houston ISD.

The bit of Hunters Creek in HISD is zoned to:

* Briargrove ES

* Grady MS

* Lee HS (Lamar HS and Westside HS are options)

And the bit of Piney Point in HISD is zoned to:

* Emerson ES

* Revere MS

* Lee HS (Lamar HS and Westside HS are options)

I would rezone the portions of those two cities to the Memorial HS feeder pattern, but then again the portions are in separate school districts...

Once you start painting the brick, the homes start looking less cookie cutter, but make no mistake, many of the homes in neighborhoods like Frostwood, Fonn Villas, are the same as those in Memorial Forest, Wilchester, Nottingham and across the bayou in Briargrove Park. Similar plans. Me, I'm a big fan of those 1960's colonials and love the Memorial area. To say there's no "cookie cutter" is not entirely accurate.

Once you start painting the brick, the homes start looking less cookie cutter, but make no mistake, many of the homes in neighborhoods like Frostwood, Fonn Villas, are the same as those in Memorial Forest, Wilchester, Nottingham and across the bayou in Briargrove Park. Similar plans. Me, I'm a big fan of those 1960's colonials and love the Memorial area. To say there's no "cookie cutter" is not entirely accurate.

There are similar plans around, but after 50 years of remodeling they hardly look alike on the inside. Most have even changed moderately on the outside. I find these old Memorial homes to have more character than the newer ones. All those peeked rooves get to you after a while.

We ended up in a Georgian. There is one two streets back that probably was the same plan but things have been added etc, and we plan to enhance the facade by adding some tweaks.

Too me Village Builder, and their plans with names, and having 15 of the exact homes per street are the most guilty of the cookie cutter label.

There are similar plans around, but after 50 years of remodeling they hardly look alike on the inside. Most have even changed moderately on the outside. I find these old Memorial homes to have more character than the newer ones. All those peeked rooves get to you after a while.

We ended up in a Georgian. There is one two streets back that probably was the same plan but things have been added etc, and we plan to enhance the facade by adding some tweaks.

Too me Village Builder, and their plans with names, and having 15 of the exact homes per street are the most guilty of the cookie cutter label.

I live in a 1965 house in Nottingham Forest and tend to agree with you. Yeah, there are a few houses in the neighborhood that are similar to mine, but it seems back then, even if there were only a finite number of exterior styles, there were still many more styles available than subdivision developers and builders now offer. My brother lived out in Grand Lakes in Katy until last year, with big houses, but about every fourth house looks alike on the outside. And inside it was all white walls, offwhite tiles, and beige carpeting, and super-glossy hardwoods. And yeah, with all the interior renovations and painting that has been done to my house over the years, it definitely does not have that sterile new house look, and certainly doesn't look like any other house in the neighborhood inside.

On the issue of peaked roofs, yeah, some of the 60s modern houses in the area, the "Brady Bunch Style" as I call them, look kind of fun and quirky, but I will take a peaked roof any day in a city with as much rainfall as Houston.

More good news, they have completely moved out before I could file a writ. Although I am very happy about that, I am still feeling the pain. They have done some minor damages, left a major mess, steal some potted plants and took some of my stuff from the garage. They didnot mow the lawn for weeks and the pool is green. Lawyer bill is humongous plus the added cost of getting the pool up to date and the curb appeal back. It is tough having a dead beat tennant. I hope everyone learns from my mistake if you ever plan on renting.

More good news, they have completely moved out before I could file a writ. Although I am very happy about that, I am still feeling the pain. They have done some minor damages, left a major mess, steal some potted plants and took some of my stuff from the garage. They didnot mow the lawn for weeks and the pool is green. Lawyer bill is humongous plus the added cost of getting the pool up to date and the curb appeal back. It is tough having a dead beat tennant. I hope everyone learns from my mistake if you ever plan on renting.

Any pics, so we can see the BEFORE and AFTER ? I know, kind of sadistic, but this will help those on here who want to be future Donald Trumps, what can happen when tenants go bad on ya.

This topic is really common. You could get away with alot more about 20-25 years ago. My mom had an elderly (feisty)friend that rented out a few homes. She had her share of "Pacific Heights" dead beats.

One day while they were away she went and had a guy remove the front & back door. Bet that was shock to come home and your home is an open house. :lol: They fled that night.

Other times they took revenge and poured cement in the sinks & toilets. Smeared feces in curse words on the walls. Stole light fixtures & even the bulbs ala The Grinch. Gotta lov it!

Archived