William P. Hobby Airport

ricco67

Seoul is crucial not only for Koreans in Houston and business ties between Texas and South Korea but also for Incheon/Seoul's role as a flight hub in the Asia-Pacific area. Immigrants from regions such as Oceania and Southeast and Central Asia, as well as tourists to these destinations, would benefit tremendously from access to Incheon's air links.

As an aside, Incheon has consistently been ranked among the top airports in the world. In addition, it is difficult to rival the comfort and efficient service of Asiana Airlines and Korean Air.

Seoul is crucial not only for Koreans in Houston and business ties between Texas and South Korea but also for Incheon/Seoul's role as a flight hub in the Asia-Pacific area. Immigrants from regions such as Oceania and Southeast and Central Asia, as well as tourists to these destinations, would benefit tremendously from access to Incheon's air links.

As an aside, Incheon has consistently been ranked among the top airports in the world. In addition, it is difficult to rival the comfort and efficient service of Asiana Airlines and Korean Air.

I'll be there next month. I'll let you know how it compares to IAH, ORD, LHR, and some othe big airports. I'm flying JAL, though. But every time I look up a fare to northern Asia, Asiana is always the lowest price.

• 3 months later...

Read all the posts (I think) and no mention that CO will be flying IAH/FRA (Frankfurt) nonstop beginning in November, shortly after the transition to Star. This will serve to feed into the Lufthansa hub there. As for the 787 destinations I know all the talk is about Dubai. I'm pretty sure that will be a definate nonstop either from EWR or IAH hopefully IAH.

The IAH-FRA anoucement was made in December 2008. Also CO is proposing IAH-FRA service on a 767-200 not a 787, (which is what this thread is about). At this rate it will be years before CO gets their 787s, so I wouldn't count on CO flying the 787 to DXB anytime soon. But a code-share with Emerites is possible in the short term.

Here I go again, but, I remember when both HOU and IAH had viewing areas on the roofs of the terminal wings. At Hobby you went out a door and up a set of outside stairs on to the roof. You were allowed to walk all the way to the end of the wings. There was a metal railing of course. It was noisy as hell up there.

At Intercontinental, you went up an inside stairwell. These areas were on the circular pods out at the end of each terminal wing. The railing was about chest high and of solid masonry. The view was not that great. These areas were closed to the public by the early 70's.

• 4 months later...

Here's a few photos I snapped as our flight came in yesterday. They're not good quality, but I wanted to share them with you anyway. Our flight flew in from Birmingham via Alexandria to the Rokit waypoint to do the Rokit One Arrival. The Rokit One Arrival Procedure basically brings the plane in from the Rokit wapoint located about 40 miles SE of Lufkin, with a turn to the SW near Kingwood. Thence the plane is brought in over Lake Houston, Settegast, Galena Park, the Ship Channel and then over Hobby Airport. Then, the plane does a turn over Hobby to a point W of the airport near 288 and Reed and then makes a turn to the north toward the Med Center. Then, the plane is given clearance to land on Runway 12R which means a turn over the old Astroworld site and the Med Center area while the landing gear is put down and the flaps are extended. The turn is usually complete once the plane is over Riverside and it's a straight shot for a landing.

Here's the start of our arrival. You can see the Trinity River below us.

GEDC1089.jpg

In this photo, you can make out Lake Livingston in the distance.

GEDC1091.jpg

GEDC1092.jpg

East of Kingwood

GEDC1095.jpg

Part of Lake Houston

GEDC1097.jpg

Here, you can see construction of the final leg of the Sam Houston Tollway.

GEDC1100.jpg

You can make out IAH in the distance.

GEDC1101.jpg

Landfill out on Beaumont Highway

GEDC1102.jpg

That US 90 freeway sure is coming along.

GEDC1103.jpg

The I-10/610/US 90 Interchange

GEDC1104.jpg

610 over the Ship Channel

GEDC1106.jpg

Portions of the East End

GEDC1107.jpg

Looking North at the Gulf Freeway

GEDC1108.jpg

South Loop East

GEDC1109.jpg

MLK Blvd

GEDC1111.jpg

288/610 Interchange

GEDC1112.jpg

Looking North at 288

GEDC1114.jpg

288 and Bellfort

GEDC1115.jpg

Downtown and the Med Center on a gloomy day

GEDC1116.jpg

Med Center, part of the Houston Zoo is visible as well.

GEDC1122.jpg

Good view of the Mosaic and the newly repaved Southmore St.

GEDC1124.jpg

Riverside with views of N. and S. MacGregor, 288, the Colubmia Tap Hike and Bike Trail, and the recently completed Modigliani Townhomes

GEDC1125.jpg

Intersection of OST and Scott

GEDC1127.jpg

Like I said before, not professional by any standards, but you can do only so much when the plastic interior window is scratched and the outside window is water stained.

Edited by JLWM8609
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a few more photos on appraoch to Hobby Airport that I took on July 30th on the way back to Austin from Jacksonville, FL.

Reliant Stadium

JAX091.jpg

Medical Center

JAX090.jpg

Medical Center

JAX089.jpg

Hobby Airport

JAX088.jpg

And a couple from inside the airport:

Walkway between main terminal and passenger concourse

JAX093.jpg

Passenger Concourse

JAX092.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=36385&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ChicagobusinesscomBreakingNews+%28ChicagoBusiness.com+Breaking+News%29

(AP) — A United Airlines executive says the carrier wants to pursue a joint venture with Continental Airlines and Japan's All Nippon Airways for flights across the Pacific.

Those three carriers already sell seats on each other's planes. A joint venture would allow closer coordination and more revenue sharing.

The bigger news here is the fact that Tokyo Haneda will be an option for non-stop flights from the U.S.

Until now HND has been a domestic only airport that is right near the heart of Tokyo. With this news Haneda becomes a better option than Narita which is a good sixty miles from downtown Tokyo.

The bigger news here is the fact that Tokyo Haneda will be an option for non-stop flights from the U.S.

Until now HND has been a domestic only airport that is right near the heart of Tokyo. With this news Haneda becomes a better option than Narita which is a good sixty miles from downtown Tokyo.

That is good news. With the way the airlines have cut back on flights, it's hard to get to some places in Asia without going through HND. For me, that often means flying into NRT and then cabbing it over to HND for about $100 to make the connection. Hate it.