William P. Hobby Airport

ricco67

They didn't wait long to start charging elite customers for exit row seat upgrades. And I noticed on my flight yesterday they're now asking $3 for those crappy headphones that used to be $1 or free for elite/first class.

The headphones have been $3 for almost two years now. If you're on a flight with DirecTV, they're free.

And which elites do they charge for the exit row? Plats and Golds can pick them for free at booking and Silvers can have them for free at 24 hours out (online check-in time).

The headphones have been $3 for almost two years now. If you're on a flight with DirecTV, they're free.

You may be correct about the date; I only recently noticed the price hike. I tried the free headphones once awhile back, but they seemed useless against the background noise of a 737. That and the frequent PA interruptions made my ears want to bleed.

And which elites do they charge for the exit row? Plats and Golds can pick them for free at booking and Silvers can have them for free at 24 hours out (online check-in time).

They now charge silver elites $59 for exit row seats prior to check-in time.

Edited by barracuda

You may be correct about the date; I only recently noticed the price hike. I tried the free headphones once awhile back, but they seemed useless against the background noise of a 737. That and the frequent PA interruptions made my ears want to bleed.

The free ones are the same ones they charge for, so you're probably better off avoiding them.

They now charge silver elites $59 for exit row seats prior to check-in time.

Prior to that Silvers weren't able select exit rows until check-in at all. So you had to pray someone moved or got upgraded. Now you at least have the option to select the seats.

It should be noted that Continental has announced that Economy Plus will be part of the new United: http://www.united.co...67,1314,00.html

As it is now, all elites are able to select the E+ seats free of charge on United and as they roll the product out to the Continental planes, I'm sure the story will be the same there too. Me, I'd rather have five more inches of free pitch rather than free pretzels.

Edited by Hartmann

The free ones are the same ones they charge for, so you're probably better off avoiding them.

Prior to that Silvers weren't able select exit rows until check-in at all. So you had to pray someone moved or got upgraded. Now you at least have the option to select the seats.

It should be noted that Continental has announced that Economy Plus will be part of the new United: http://www.united.co...67,1314,00.html

As it is now, all elites are able to select the E+ seats free of charge on United and as they roll the product out to the Continental planes, I'm sure the story will be the same there too. Me, I'd rather have five more inches of free pitch rather than free pretzels.

I caved in yesteday and got the 8 dollar snack basket they were offering (there was about 5 different levels of snack baskets you could choose from). if my company wasn't paying for it i probably wouldn't have gotten it but the food was pretty good as far as snacks are concerned. one strange part of the assortment was a bunch of martini style olives that came in a plastic bag...

Edited by DrLan34

• 4 months later...

Good pictures.. Some of those are real good for looking through an aircraft window.

I notice Southwest Maryland One parked in that "taking off for Austin" picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6kGMYtkdVg

I snap a few of them when I'm in the neighborhood. I'll usually sit behind the fence

near Telephone and catch them going into 12R.

Shamu..

h1.jpg

Spirit of Kittyhawk

h5.jpg

Regular ole 737-700

h37.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I really don't think United has much of an argument here (it'd be different if the corporate HQ was still here). There is nothing they can do to stop Southwest. With the amount of gates and flights that Southwest plans to operate daily, it shouldn't hurt the international businesses at IAH much. With growth in the Houston region, United is still going to have to go through expansion plans at IAH. This will only create cheaper airfare to Latin America and the Caribbean for Houston area travelers. I'm all for it.

If it gets city approval, Southwest says it would spend an estimated $75 million to $100 million to build a new international terminal equipped with full-scale Customs facilities, as well as to improve the aging airport's domestic terminals. Southwest flights would depart from the new terminal to destinations such as Cancun and the Caribbean.

http://www.chron.com...4923.php#page-1

Edited by editor
  • Like 1

Not to mention that it'll be more convenient for central, southeast, south, and southwest Houston. IAH is very far away for these travelers.

I'm all for this.

And anyway, screw United. Their decision to depart Texas while doubling down the value of their hub was an open invitation for the City to screw with them. What are they going to do, dial back service? Move the hub? No. It's a single-hub city and their investment is too large to abandon. They're locked in.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
Over 10,000 jobs expected to be added and $1.6B in local economic impact expected:

moo - I seriously doubt these numbers. These are Southwest's projections which should be taken with a grain of salt as much as United's.

I do think it will help - now there will be some price competition on trips to Mexico/Carribbean for United. Houston has some of the highest air fares in the country. This is a start.

The head of the Houston Airport System has come out in favor of the Southwest proposal for an international terminal at Hobby. United is claiming the analysis is flawed, and that an international terminal at Hoby would cost tons of job losses at IAH. Of course, United would automatically be against anything that might improve competition or better serve the public.

As for me, I'm pretty much in favor of anything that annoys United Airlines.

• Like 1

Yup - I'm all for it as well...United bailed on Houston when they moved to Chicago after the merger....not mention that United is pretty much the worst airline I have ever flown....I always end up having to fly off peak and at weird times, and whenever the flight is not completely full - they cancel it....I cant tell you how many times they have cancelled a flight I needed to make.

I see no reason that Houston should have any loyalty at all to United.

• Like 1

some cousins just went to mexico city but decided to drive to san antonio to fly.....flight was 250 from there and 750 from here. the san antonio flight's 2nd leg was through houston. because continental has a monopoly thru here, they are able to get inflated prices. in san antonio, other carriers have direct flights so continental/united was matiching the prices. I say go southwest!

Edited by musicman
  • Like 2

Issue goes to vote on May 16th.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Council-rips-study-painting-Hobby-expansion-as-3486551.php

But it sounds like City Council has been bought off by lobbyists for United

But if the mayor was whom set the quick vote date upcoming, doesn't that possibly mean she is in favor of SWA/Hobby International?

Could set up an interesting clash at City Hall.

I am all for 2 international airports in Houston. If United picked Houston for its headquarters than I would probably feel differently about it but it didn't so there is no loyalty. Yes they have Houston as its largest hub, but that can change at anytime. Southwest is a Texas company that wants to not only improve travel in the Houston region, but improve Hobby airport as well.

By the way, how many cities/regions in the US/World have more than one international airport. I know the San Fransisco/Bay area has many, Chicago, New York area, LA area, but what other cities?

• Like 1

Issue goes to vote on May 16th.

http://www.chron.com...-as-3486551.php

But it sounds like City Council has been bought off by lobbyists for United

But if the mayor was whom set the quick vote date upcoming, doesn't that possibly mean she is in favor of SWA/Hobby International?

Could set up an interesting clash at City Hall.

I agree it's depressing to see what's going on in council. Evidently United has supported every one of their campaigns, but not SWA. I heard the Mayor speak at another event, and she sounded in favor of Hobby/SWA.

• Like 1

Normally the comments on Chron.com are way off base BUT this time they have generally pointed out some reason - why is that City Council is so opposed to having competition? Competition that will wake those slobs at United thus maybe improve quality or at least drop prices by reducing their monopoly.

Living in SoCal I can take advantage of flying out of LAX, LGB and SNA within 30 to 45 minutes drive, which means I can get higher quality and/or lower prices because of COMPETITION. I can get RT ticket to SFA from LGB (5 minute drive from home) for less than $100 or just above up to Seattle! You can dream about that with United, which will probably send you luggage or carry-on items they forced to gate check to the wrong terminal (which happened to my mother when she visited from Houston) or just make the flying experience much worse than it used to be a few years ago.

some cousins just went to mexico city but decided to drive to san antonio to fly.....flight was 250 from there and 750 from here. the san antonio flight's 2nd leg was through houston. because continental has a monopoly thru here, they are able to get inflated prices. in san antonio, other carriers have direct flights so continental/united was matiching the prices. I say go southwest!

I have relatives that want me to visit them in Mexico City and was waiting b/c the flights are so expensive. Thanks for the tip!

I remember seeing signage at one time, calling Hobby "Houston International Airport". I'm sure that's been covered over now. Any idea when HOU took on the Hobby name?

Originally named Houston Municipal Airport

Re-named Howard R. Hughes Airport in 1938.

Shortly afterward, the name reverted to Houston Municipal because federal regulations at the time did not allow an airport to be named for a living person.

It was named Houston International Airport in 1950, the same year, I believe that Houston had its first nonstop international service (PanAm to Mexico City)

Re-named William P. Hobby Airport in 1967. Query: Was the name then William P. Hobby International Airport?

Closed in 1969.

Re-opened in 1971.

Edited by Houston19514

• 2 weeks later...

Have yall seen United's ad campaign to prevent this? They're advertising on chron.com

http://keepiahstrong.com/

What do you make of some of the quotes they have on their page? Is it too simplistic of an argument to say more competition is better?

Gordon Bethune, Former Continental CEO

"It's going to pop an economic balloon, which has been Houston's economic growth. It's going to split a big city -- six million people -- into two small cities. So we're going to have transportation like Austin." (click for more)

Bill Swelbar, Massachusetts Institute of Technology's International Center for Air Transportation

“[R]edundant international service at Hobby would... displace approximately 1,300 IAH employees. This would be direct job loss, and does not take into account the many thousands of indirect jobs and construction jobs... that would be lost.” (click for more)

Kay Kratky, Member, Lufthansa German Airlines Board (Star Alliance member, as is United)

“The strong flow of transfer passengers through IAH to national and international destinations beyond is the key driving factor for our decision to deploy our flagship aircraft to Houston.” (click for more)

Edited by lockmat