William P. Hobby Airport

ricco67

I don't see them expanding the terminals very much either.

While hobby airport seems to have a very good on time record, it's pretty much at capacity as it is and it can't really move to the larger jets because of the lengths of the runways.

I have noticed some construction (maintenance?) going on at the edge of one of the runways (Airport BLVD side) for the past week, though.

I meant the terminals not the runways.

The current terminal expansion is not yet completed. The old southwest concourse closed recently and will be demolished. The airport is currently acquiring land south of the airport (bounded roughly by braniff/telephone/almeda genoa/Ballantine). Some acquisitions have already happened while others are still to happen. The airport is looking to expand their north/south runway.

longer term, they want to acquire land to the east of the airport. The current monroe between airport and almeda genoa will be moved east approximately parallel to an existing drainage easement.

The fire training academy on Braniff is also expanding as they have acquired numerous acres behind the current facility.

The approach and take off paths are already over downtown and the entire central city.

Last time I flew into Hobby, we banked dramatically at few thousand feet for 270 degrees over downtown, came in directly over Kirby Dr., directly over the Med Center, and then landed. It's awesome at night.

Guest Plastic
The current terminal expansion is not yet completed. The old southwest concourse closed recently and will be demolished. The airport is currently acquiring land south of the airport (bounded roughly by braniff/telephone/almeda genoa/Ballantine). Some acquisitions have already happened while others are still to happen. The airport is looking to expand their north/south runway.

longer term, they want to acquire land to the east of the airport. The current monroe between airport and almeda genoa will be moved east approximately parallel to an existing drainage easement.

The fire training academy on Braniff is also expanding as they have acquired numerous acres behind the current facility.

SO what are they going to do witht he spot of The Old Southwest Terminal.

SO what are they going to do witht he spot of The Old Southwest Terminal.

it was my understanding that the capacity of the finished central concourse will handle the same plane load as the 3 concourses. further expansion eastward (where southwests concourse was) is still possible if warranted.

it was my understanding that the capacity of the finished central concourse will handle the same plane load as the 3 concourses. further expansion eastward (where southwests concourse was) is still possible if warranted.

That is correct. The Master Plan also includes a third concourse to the west. You can see it all here:

Hobby Master Plan (Just click on the "William P Hobby Master Plan Brochure")

That is correct. The Master Plan also includes a third concourse to the west. You can see it all here:

a rep from the airport system spoke at our civic club earlier this year and said that they want to do a lot, but most likely it all wouldn't come to fruition. I do like the central concourse. hopefully it will help bring more air traffic to hobby.

Actually the East Concourse is supposed to be built. It's the West Concourse (where the current concourse American and Delta use is located) that will only be built if air traffic justifies it. Also, the Central Concourse isn't fully opened yet. The east end of it is nearing completion and should be opening soon.

Actually the East Concourse is supposed to be built.
i've heard both sides on this one....the latest was that it wasn't because of the load the new one can handle. but if it does GREAT for Hobby! The convenience of Hobby is unbeatable. Edited by musicman

I remember in the 60's that the restaurant in the present Hobby Airport terminal was called Dobb's House. There were other Dobb's House restaurants around town during that time. The one on Memorial Dr. at Post Oak Lane comes to mind. They were kind of like a present day Denny's. Someone told me that they had the food concession for several of the airlines.

Also looking at a "1940 WPA Guide to Texas Handbook", the map points to the "Howard Hughes Airport" as being out Telephone Rd. Is this the present day museum terminal building? or was there another airport out Telephone Rd?

• Like 1

Also looking at a "1940 WPA Guide to Texas Handbook", the map points to the "Howard Hughes Airport" as being out Telephone Rd. Is this the present day museum terminal building? or was there another airport out Telephone Rd?

that should be the same one. I think they took the Hughes name off of the airport after there was some sort of uproar over naming it for a living person.

• Like 1

that should be the same one. I think they took the Hughes name off of the airport after there was some sort of uproar over naming it for a living person.

At the time, there was apparently an FAA regulation against naming an airport for a living person...

Actually the East Concourse is supposed to be built. It's the West Concourse (where the current concourse American and Delta use is located) that will only be built if air traffic justifies it. Also, the Central Concourse isn't fully opened yet. The east end of it is nearing completion and should be opening soon.

That was Plan A, and the East Concourse was actually part of the Capital Improvements Program that included the new Central Concourse, etc. BUT, they have adjusted the plan and I believe actually made the Central Concourse larger than originally planned, so that it has enough gates for everyone. The East Concourse will now be built only when there is demand for it. Then, if there is eventually demand for it, they would build the West Concourse, as shown in the Master Plan.

• Like 1

Yes. mr hughes paid for many improvements, including the tower and its name was changed to HH Airport. Later it was discovered that federal funding would be denied if it was named for a living person so the name was removed.

Edited by musicman

• 6 months later...
anything to make some extra money!

The article went on to say the cost of the drone{s}? range between $30K up to $1 mil. That's 1 hell of a range. I would thank you could purchase an entire fleet of them for a mil. And just thank of the money being spent to make mo. Governmemt thanking, thats why we're all broke!

Danny

anything to make some extra money!

They're not making extra money, they're tossing it away on expensive toys. Can anyone explain how it is money well spent to invest millions in drones to watch traffic, instead of, say, hiring more cops to work patrols? :wacko:

Next time anyone is whining about the poor underfunded police, just remind them of this boondoggle.

I was a bit apprehensive about this initially, but I think it could probably work a bit better. For one thing, they're cheaper to buy, operate, and much safer than a standard helicopter. We only have two Fox units in Houston (I think) and they're not up all time. Something like this would be immediately available if they have one or two flying all the time.

if it crashes, you won't have to spend, what $7 mil on a new copter and crew?

Your tax dollars at work

I heard the HPD got them for free as one of the two cities in the USA to try these things out, so as of now they haven't spent any money on them. If they work well, they will have the option of purchasing them.

I heard the HPD got them for free as one of the two cities in the USA to try these things out, so as of now they haven't spent any money on them. If they work well, they will have the option of purchasing them.

Got them free from whom? You're saying there's a manufacturer's giveaway on drones? Are you sure about this?

Got them free from whom? You're saying there's a manufacturer's giveaway on drones? Are you sure about this?

Don't ever thank that U guvment gonna give U local guvment ANYTHING free. Anytime U big brother guvment give U local guvment sum'n U can bet U have either paid for it already or gonna have a long term comittment to do so. One reason that dollar is losing its value is because U guvment loves printing worthless paper called money. Day/nite {24/7} them printing presses @ treasury are churning out the worth currency.

Just my 2 cents worth{mo/less}

Respectfully

Danny

Don't ever thank that U guvment gonna give U local guvment ANYTHING free. Anytime U big brother guvment give U local guvment sum'n U can bet U have either paid for it already or gonna have a long term comittment to do so. One reason that dollar is losing its value is because U guvment loves printing worthless paper called money. Day/nite {24/7} them printing presses @ treasury are churning out the worth currency.

Just my 2 cents worth{mo/less}

Respectfully

Danny

English please.